(Part 4)

My Lady

Suzu stares at her food, not even a bite she wants to take. Instead, she beats the square container with her chopsticks. 

      "If you don't want your food you can just give it to me."

      I'm already grabbing the edge of her lunch box, but dodged by the female. She gazes around and rests her chin on her palm. The female puckers her lips now.

      "Are you waiting for someone?"

      "Sota."

      Oh. That monkey. I remember sharing umbrella with him yesterday, and having a "midnight snack" with him, never expected that would happen. Somehow it brings me to think. Is he alright? 

      "Maybe he's unwell."

      "Why would he?"

      Suzu rises her brows, her eyes get bigger and the petite girl concentrates her sight at me now. Didn't Sota tell her?

      "Ah- Sota!"

      Suzu swings her hands eagerly out of the blue, I can see the excitement in her eyes. I don't want to turn my head and do the same. Sota's hand lands on my shoulder, giving me a pat, making me twitch lightly in a surprise.

      "Am I late?"

      "Very late! Look, this food doesn't look delicious anymore!"

      "Alright! Let me taste it."

      Sota takes a seat next to me, reaching for his chopsticks which Suzu has prepared for him. No wonder she didn't let me touch them just now. I "tsk". The male nibbles on the food, he chews soundly. Please, are you a cow?

      "Ooh- oishii!"

      "Really??"

      The baby faced girl is flattered by the boy's positive feedback that it brings her to grin delightfully. She also begins tasting her homemade lunch box. Do they forget that I exist?

      "Let me try too."

      Kento snatches the chopsticks from Suzu's hand. He appears out of nowhere. Without anyone's invitation, he swallows the sticky rice Suzu made. The war has started.

      "Who let you eat it?!"

      Suzu's eyebrows furrowed. Tapping on the table. Her face's ferocious. But Kento, the silly ones shows a smile on his face at the female, he knows he is going to put fire on fire. He does it anyways. I see Sota grinning. He's enjoying the scene. 

      "Let him taste it. Your sticky rice is good. Better with the squid."

      Suzu glares, she crosses her arms. Looks like she listens to Sota. This girl, she's something sometimes. I only quietly have my meal. As if I never existed. Actually I am too lazy to meddle in their so-called war. Kento completely has the box now.

      I look at the male biting on his all-of-sudden-meal and he forms a satisfying smirk at me. I heave a sigh. Kento, he's actually quite childish. But then, Sota too. Three of them are hyperactive. Why aren't I? 

°°°°
      I fix my hair after being blown by the wind. I tilt my head up, eyeing the cloudy sky full of sorrow, but still eye catching somehow. 

      "Beautiful."

      "Beautiful! Up for night's shift tonight?"

      Kento rushes to walk next to me. I notice his lips. Is that a bruise? I am not supposed to ask him, right? I nod my head to his question. The male gazes at the ground while walking before he turns to his side.

      "Ah, Sota! He still plays basketball in this kind of weather."

      Kento extends his hand out, bringing his palm out for the raindrop to fall on it, he throws his sight at the sky then to the hazel haired boy, who's still bouncing the ball eagerly. 

      "I never thought he would be surrounded by many friends like that."

      "He has many friends. I don't."

      Kento forces the corner of his lips to stretch, but I bet the bruise stings. He softly hisses. I guess I'm right. 

      "What's wrong with-"

      "Kiko!"

      Suzu's shout makes us stop. I look at her, she keeps panting while running towards me. She's burning some fat. Well, that's good. I should make her run often.

      "Fatty. Tired of running?"

      Kento cracks up. It brings me to a laughter too. We've shared the same ideas. The female frowns.

      "What? Shut up!"

      "Hahahaha!"

      "Ah, Kiko! You have night shift tonight, don't you?"

      "Yes, I do. Why?"

      "I'll have to go to my aunt's house. Perhaps I will not be home. Here's the key."

      Suzu holds my hand out and leaves the key on my palm. 

      "Both of you are housemates?"

      "Yes, we are. We've lived together since I met Suzu."

      "Why do you care, busybody thug?"

      "I never care about you, fatty!"

      "You think your cheeks are not fat?!"

      I massage my temple now. Why are these humans fighting again? What did I do to deserve to stand with these people? I continue marching along the path to my house, leaving both of them bickering. 

      "Kiko! Wait for me! Why are you leaving me with this crazy thug?!"

      "What did you just call me again?!"

      They are so loud. Oh my... But deeper in my heart, I'm glad. I smile.

°°°°
      Tonight's work is sort of exhausting. The cafè is packed. I keep dashing here and there. I still can't figure out. What is this cafè's secret? It's located at a hidden place, but well known.

      I grab the empty glasses, leaving them on the tray. My legs are quite numb. I rush to the kitchen. Unfortunately, my clumsiness makes me trip. Oh lord. I notice the tray slips off of my grasp. Oh no-

      Something grabs my waist from behind. Pulling me backward. I gaze the slander fingers  catching the tray, balancing it upward. The glasses almost drop, but they stable. This heartbeat, it's banging my chest. Probably because of the sudden surprise, probably because I'm in Amai's arm. My blood runs up to my face. The sharp eyes look in mine. She is too tall...I grip on the tray, walking off of her hold.

      "I'm sorry. Thank you."

      I bend, carefully bowing my head, preventing from doing the same mistake. This is the first time I get to thank her. But she neglects me to entertain the customers. Meiko gently passes the tray to her hands. She smiles at me, but I sense her worry.

      "Are you alright? You can take some rest."

      "I'm alright. Pardon for my clumsiness!"

      "Hahaha. It's okay, Kiko! Luckily Amai was there."

      "Yeah, right..."

      I eye the model like female. She looks joyful treating the customers. She smiles. Despite her exhaustion, her smile, it looks sweet. Now I understand why her name is Amai. 

°°°°
      "Kiko. Could you take all these boxes to the rubbish bin out there, please? That boy, Kento is not around."

      One of the waitress, Aiko walking towards me, barely carrying the boxes in her full arms. 
That one and only handsome waiter. Where is he?

      "Sure. Pass them to me. Careful."

      I curve a thin line on my lips, taking the boxes from the female. She shows her gratitude and leaves. 

      Actually, I'm quite frightened to go to that bin. The lights are dimmed there, gives me goosebumps. I push the door open using the strength of my shoulder, taking step by step. I barely see my front.

      Out of the blue, some of the boxes are taken from someone behind me, uncovering my sight.

      "Eh??"

      I thought it was someone creepy like the last time thug. But it's Amai. I turn mute all of sudden. I continue walking. My burden is lighten now. Thanks to her.

      We leave the boxes into the bin. I wasn't expecting the bin was this far from the cafè. Something I have to tell Kento, I guess. Amai stands by me in silence, like a statue. She looks scary somehow. Like a spirit, or a serial killer. God.

      "Please don't just stand and mute like that, Amai-san! You look like some creepy dolls in Chocolat Noir!" 
      
      The lady tilts her head, I notice she raises her brows. Are there even dolls in Chocolat Noir?

      "I- mean.. Shokora Aikawa looks like a creepy doll too! You look like her!"

      . Why do I startle like a three years old child who has just begun learning to talk?

      But, under the dim lights, I look at the lady, she's pressing her knuckle against . Her cheekbones appear. She's smiling. It mesmerizes me, brings me to saying no words. What the hell is going on with my straight heart? But my stare, is maybe because the female is staring at me too.

      "I don't care! I need to find that insolent girl! She dared insulting my hair! And she made a boy kicked me! She needs a lesson for her life!"

      Amai catches my hand and rushes to hide behind a wall. I see bunch of thugs walking pass the alley. Oh my God. Oh my God. Oh my God.The lady is guarding me now. Why are you so bold? Aren't you afraid? 

      The moment one of them throws his sight at us, the lady, without any hesitation pins me against the wall, her face nears mine. When she breathes, I can feel it. I-is this a kissing position?! I tilt my head to my right side. In my heart, I don't stop praying. My prayers at the moment are a lot more than my every day prayers. Some are for my safety, some are for this heartbeat I've gotten from the female's doing.

      The thugs fade from our sights. Amai steps backward. She keeps an eye on my face. Her stare, asdfghjkl drives me crazy. She smiles again. Asdfghjkl.

°°°°
     "I'm home.."

      I lazily take off my shoes, dragging myself towards the couch. Suzu is munching on her crackers. She got home earlier than me. 

      "Heyy. How's work?"

      I flop myself into the couch, bringing the petite one into my arms. I don't answer her question. She stares at me, and understands my look to get the answer by herself. She stuffs a cracker into my mouth. I munch it anyway.

      "What should I cook for school tomorrow?"

      "Your usual favourite meal."

      "No! I don't want the same meal."

      "When did you starting to care? You've brought the same meal for 6 years."

      "Well, because I'm going to share my meal now!"

      "With who?"

      "Sota!"

      I pull myself off from hugging her. With my half opened eyes, I look at her, pouting my lips.

      "You seem to care about him more than you do to me now."

      "No! You are special."

      "So, he's special special?"

      "He's different!"

      "Hm?"

      "I like him more than a best friend."

      I want to widen my eyes to show her my surprised face but I'm too tired. I'm not that surpised anyway. She's so obvious. But an energetic reaction is actually needed.

      "Heh? That loud boy?"

      "He's not loud. He's manly!"

      Yes. Her species anyway.

      "But that's too fast."

      "No no. He deserves it."

      "Does he know?"

      The female shakes her head.

      "Hm. I ship. Ganbatte ne~!"

      I know I should support her more, but my energy has really drained. If I was a phone battery, it would be like only 5%. 

      Yet, my mind is still at 95%. My brain cells are wild. I keep thinking of Amai. She saved me from the thugs. How did she know about it? 

     Oh. Probably Kento told her. She even walked me out of the alley tonight. Although she's mute, she's nice. Haih.