(Part 3)

My Lady

 

"Welcome to the cafè! Please take a seat."

      The middle aged man in a black suit pulls the chair in a manner, sitting properly. He then reaches out for the menu book and begins eyeing every pages.

      "Give me this, and this."

      He points at a cheesecake and a strawberry tea. I immediately jot down everything he orders. 

      A bell rung from another table. I march to the customer. Seeing me getting near, he forms a smile from ear to ear. He is already gazing at me from hair to toe. That's quite strange, honestly. 

      "Welcome, sir. What would you like to order?"

      I paste a bright smile on my face despite the uncomfortable feeling he gives by the way he looks at me.

      "Are you a new waitress here?"

      He is not even answering what he's supposed to answer. Replying me with a question is not what I want. Yet, I have to stay steady and calm..and bright. 

      "Yes, sir. I am."

      My smile never vanish, it's like God has curved my lips into a smiley form. His stare is wild. I spot a slight smirk from the male. 

      "You look cute. So, mind to give me your number?"

      "I'm sorry, sir. But I can't do that."

      I quickly bend my back, bowing in a manner at the male, showing my apology. I see the unpleasant look in his eyes.

      "But you are not supposed to treat a customer this way...!"

      His voice sounds intensely angry, but he's still keeping it low and colder. Not to attract attention, perhaps. 

      Suddenly a lady appears to stand next to me. She is folding her arms. I gaze at her face. Amai is keeping an eye on the guy, she looks colder than the customer.

      "Look at your waitress. She's disrespecting me!"

      "Excuse me, sir. I am respecting you."

      "No, you are not!"

      His voice begins to raise. Looks like he is not aware of some eyes he has already caught. Furthermore, he also does not notice that he is slowly boiling a girl. Me. And yet, despite his unreasonable anger toward me, the tall lady who has been standing next to me says nothing at all to back me up. Oh, I forgot. She's mute. I try to maintain my manner. 

      "I'm sorry, sir. Your favour just now included my personal life. It was my privacy and shouldn't be revealed to strangers."

      I insist to stand for my right, especially  my pride, my dignity, my self-regard, my self-respect. All these four words with similar meanings. I tend to look stern with a hope I will creep this irrational customer. He stands up from his seat and looks at both of us.

      "This cafè big time! And you're the est, new waitress girl! Stop playing hard to get! In the end you will still spread your legs for---"

      Before he even gets to complete his insult for me, Amai gives him a hard slap on his left cheek earlier, making the customer thrown away to another table. My heart almost jumps out.

      "T-that was real- hard.."

      "Amai! Stop right there!"

      A man who runs out of the room after hearing some noise from the tensed scene immediately shouts for Amai to stop. Amai, still with her emotionless look. What the hell? That was bold.

      The male customer gets up and wipes the blood off the corner of his lips. He stares at every of us with a mad gaze, and his face is freaking red.

      "You have the est waitresses!"

      He then rushes out of the cafè, banging the door to show his displeased feeling.

      "Amai! In. My. Room!"

      Amai immediately turns around and walks towards the room, like a robot being controlled with a remote. Not caring all eyes on her. I don't even get to thank her. 

      "Another fight again?"

      Kento appears out of nowhere, his blackcurrent flavoured lollipop. He heaves out a soft sigh which sounds more like a snicker. Another fight? Meaning?

      "Amai always beats disrespectful customers."

      "That is..violence?"

      "Yep. But they deserve it. Harrassing girls is a no no. The waitresses here are loving it though. They feel secured when Amai is around."

      "Why aren't you the one to keep all the girls' safety here? Why must it be Amai? She's a girl too."

      Kento chuckles. He lands a pat on my shoulder, lowering his back to reach my ear. His gaze is thrown at Amai who, at the same time, goes out of the room and continues her work.

      "Don't you think Amai is really strong after what you saw just now?"

      "I guess..yeah."

      "So, do you think she even needs my help?"

      "Well- you're a guy, so-"

      Kento cracks into a laughter. He seems so amused and I don't have any idea about that. What's so humorous? He messes my bobbed hair and leaves me to get to Amai.

      "Aye-! This guy.."

      The male is still laughing. He then grabs Amai by her waist, hugging her close to him without even being dodged or nudged by her. And then he turns his head to the back, looking at me with a mischievous look. That look is naughty one! I bet both of them are liking each other romantically.

°°°°
      10 p.m. 

      I stand in front of a building near the cafè. It suddenly rains while I am on my way to go home. I forgot to bring my umbrella. Let me say, I was not prepared. I heave a soft sigh, thinking of a way to go home. Should I call Suzu? But that will trouble her. Plus, waiting for her here will be dangerous. 

      The thunder booms from the sky, shaking the ground. It makes me half screaming. Damn, that was a great shock. Luckily nobody hears me. What if the lightning suddenly flashed and burned my skin? I begin imagining some stupid stuff. That gives me goosebumps. 

      I link my arms around my cold body. I'm freezing. I need to get home as soon as possible. Maybe getting soaked would worth it. I am ready to run through the drops of the rain. But then, a hand grabs my arm, dragging me backward. 

      "Kiko, you shouldn't do that. You'll catch a cold."

      I look up to hear the rough voice's owner. Ah. This monkey. I mean, Sota. Not my fault for calling him that. Every day, he and Suzu are loud. 

      "I almost caught a cold though..what are you doing here at this time?"

      The male raises a plastic bag which contains some cans of beer and two cups of instant noodles. Then, his index points at a 7Eleven store nearby us. Oh, I get it. I nod my head slowly. The boy smiles at me, swinging the bag he's carrying slowly.

      "So, having a hard time going home?"

      "Well- sort of."

      Sota extends his right hand out, handing me a folded umbrella that almost fits his wide man palm. I eye at it, not taking it.

      "Walk with me?"

°°°°

      The thunder is still agigating the world. What's "greater" is Sota and I are sharing a small umbrella under a heavy rain. My shoes are already soaky wet. 

      All of sudden, Sota steps aside off the umbrella. He is now only carrying the umbrella with me underneath it. 

      "Hey, what are you doing! Get over here!"

      Sato flashes a wide grin, wider than his eyes at the moment which are half shut from the rain. Not saying anything but only a grin. Every drop is slowly soaking him. I feel guilty.
Seeing my face, he lightly hops on the street. 

      "I love rain!"

      I hear a delightful laughter from the hazel haired male. He then stops hopping and I see him nibbling on his bottom lip lightly, gazing at the ground while walking now. Is he embarrassed? That's...adorable?

      "But you're gonna catch a fever!"

      "I won't!"

      "Seriously?"

      He nods his head. I see the confidence. This guy, what should I do with you? We have caught some stares from the other pedestrians. Sota makes me look like a terrible girl. But the male is smiling.

°°°°

      We have finally reached my house. The rain has stopped too. Luckily. Sota folds the umbrella. It's in a small and cute form again.

      "How can you use that small and girly umbrella? It even has cat ears."

      "It's cute and free."

      "It's FREE."

      I press the word "free". Everybody likes free things. Sota bursts out into a short laughter. As a sign that I am right. Seeing his wet clothes, I feel really bad.

      "Will you be okay?"

      "Why not?"

      "Well, look at you."

      "Hahaha. So?"

      "Hm. Then, thank you."

      I quickly bow at him, but then a light knock lands on my head making me hiss. I cup my head and gaze at him with a light frown. He chuckles in an amusement.

      "Heat this up and eat with me."

      Sota shows me two cups of instant noodles in the bag he's been carrying in his hand. What? Now?

      "But it's not nice to be inside a girl's house at night."

      "Who says I'm going to come in?"

      Sota sits in front of the main door and gives me a look with rose eyebrows. Okay. That makes sense. This will be okay. Saying nothing, I get the cups from him, unlocking the door and heads inside.

°°°°
      Done changing myself into a white T-shirt and heating the noodles, I walk outside. I hear a dripping sound. Tilting my head to peek, I see Sota squeezing his wet shirt. 

      "Hey! Why are you in front of my house?"

      I'm half shouting. He's not surprised. Instead, he wears his wide and bright grin that he always has anytime, anywhere. 

      "You're done?"

      "Wear your shirt. What if the neighbours saw us? What would they say? You know aunts in this neighbourhood gossip too much."

      I serve the cups at a small table where there are chairs for two. Sota snickers, he puts on his shirt again and marches toward me. 

      "You nag. I thought you're demure."

      That slaps me. I nag? Really? 

      "I'm not demure.. hang in there a second."

      I rush into the house again, leaving Sota alone blinking questioningly. It is better to avoid him than having to hear more comments from him. I never thought I would be comfortable around him. Somehow. 

      I open my wardrobe and reaches out for a towel. It's not good to let him soaked like that. He must be cold. I'm keeping my intention pure, okay.

       I head outside back again, and there's Sota, waiting still. He warms his palms by gently squeezing his heated noodles cup. 

      "Hey, naggy grand-"

      I put the towel on his head making him shut. He's such a tease. I pull the chair and take a seat. Grabbing my cup, I scoop some of the noodles using the chopsticks and softly blows before I stuff it into my mouth as much as I can. 

      While busy chewing, I gaze at the hazel haired male. He is still not eating, drying his hair with the towel I gave while smiling from ear to ear. What now? He creeps me out sometimes.

      "Eat the noodles while it's still warm."

      Hearing me, he immediately stops, obeys. He begins pulling his chair and sits nearer to the table, grabbing his cup before he takes a slow bite.

      "So, Suzu told me that you've found a job?"

      "Ah. Yes. At Kento's family's cafè."

      "So, how was it?"

      "Hm. Okay. Everything is quite nice there."

      "Oh. I'm glad to hear that."

      "But, there's a lady. She's strange."

      "Strange? How?"

      "She's mute, but not to Kento, and I guess she likes Kento romantically."

      Out of the blue, the hazel haired boy bursts out into a laughter. He's already holding his belly. Why is he laughing again? Sometimes I feel abnormal when he's around. Or is he the abnormal one?

      "W-why?"

      "Nothing. I just feel amused."

      "Seriously?"

      "So, do you like her?"

      "Hm. Well- even though she's mute, she's actually very nice. She's really kind. She's bold. She even protected me this morning. She's really cool. She's-"

      Realising that I have talked too much, I immediately stop. And of course, the male has been watching me, with his smile worn on his face. 

      "L-let's eat.."

      "HAHAHAHAHAHA!"

°°°°
     Sota shuts the door gently.

      "Oi, baka! What took you so long? I have been waiting for you."

      Kento tosses a crumpled paper at his housemate. He reaches to snatch the plastic bag from the male's hand, eyeing into it.

      "Why are there only beers? Where's my instant noodles? Kuso, don't tell me you ate it!"

      Kento cups the taller mate's head underneath his hairy armpit, messing the hazel hair that his friend owns.

      "What happened, huh?"

      "Argh, let me off!"

      Sota tries dodging the male, struggling to get lose from his housemate's hold. Kento eventually releases him. 

      "Tell me, what happened?"

      Sota immediately turns his back to Kento making the boy tilts his head to peek, with a questioning look. Now, Kento does a poker face. Sota wears a big smile without even looking at his buddy.

      "What happened is... something happened."

      "You talk nonsense again. You pig-..."

      "Something happened..."

      Sota smiles like he has lost his sanity.