Chapter 1. Chae

We're #young (Izone & Seventeen)

Chaeri

*August 13*
Monday

Tweets

-PASAL, here we go

-So... I heard PASAL didn’t have a name for their students. What do we call ourselves? #PASALIAS #PASTILIAS

Where
Logardi Station

Logardi, Pascal City.

This day is cursed.

It started raining before the train even reach the station, and I still need to take the shuttle to school.

Should have trusted my instinct and took the umbrella when it was calling to me, but then it was sunny a while ago.

I tapped my metro card and hurriedly took the stairs to the exit. The student orientation will start at 8:30 and it’s already 8:10.

I'm telling you this day is definitely cursed.

If I remember, the bus stop is near the station’s exit, so I won’t have to run far to get to it. Luckily I was wearing a shirt, jeans, and snickers that I was able to shuffle my way without getting drag by people.

I imagine saying this to Mama, and I cringe. She’ll probably nag me for waking up late when the real reason I’m late is the effing mover's fault.

Then when I explain to her, she’ll pick a fight with Papa for making me accept the dorm application when our house is only a train away to school.

Changbin would then proceed to laugh at me and tease me for being the princess of the family when that’s entirely not true.

He’s the golden son, who is he to judge?

Both of my parents are rich (mansion owning, large estates and hotel buildings rich), but they hated it whenever we depend so much on money when it can be gone in a matter of seconds.

They bought us branded clothes and all the things we need, but when it comes to stuff we want?

They wanted us to work for it. Changbin helps Papa run his empire and I help Mama with her charity works.

When my classmates got credit cards and cars (yes! in plural form), Me and Changbin went to school on a bicycle and a 10 dollar allowance.

Papa finally bought Changbin a car after he graduated 2 years ago.

Me?

I’m too much of a sacredly-cat to even drive one much more to own one.

In short even at 19, I don’t know how to drive. I’m perfectly capable of using the public transport system thank you very much.

Some of my classmates in high school thought I’m in a scholarship program because of it.

Our surname Reyes is quite common so they never guess what family we came from; they just assume that we’re not rich. We never bother to correct them.

Did I mention about the moving?

I applied for a school dormitory because Papa insisted on it.

Our house is not that far from here but Papa said I need the following in non-particular order.

1. I need to be independent and

2. Experience some things and

3. Mingle my dear daughter, mingle

His words, not mine.

The rain stopped as soon as I got out of the station and it was only drizzling.

Thank gosh.

I ran to the bus stop and looked at the schedule plastered on the side for the shuttle schedule.

Okay, at least I'm on time for the one arriving in 5 minutes. 
I was so relieved that I didn't notice the boy on the side smiling at me.

He's cute, er gorgeous and tall. His hair is dyed brown and did I mention he's tall?

He's sitting on the long seat and looking at me with a smile on his face.

"You're from PASAL?" His words didn't register well and I widen my eyes for him to repeat.

"You're going to PASAL?" He asks again

I nod my head, he's moving his bag so that it's facing me. I look at the logo on it and my eyes widen when I see the familiar ow and drama face on the logo.

"OMG, You're from PASAL?"

He laughed at me then nodded his head.

He pointed at the clock on top of the schedule, I look at it and it's already 8:15 wah shuttle please arrive now, please.

"They're usually 5 minutes late but don't worry they'll arrive soon"

I nod then sat beside him. Much as well wait, worrying wouldn't make them come faster.

I look at the guy and he's typing something on his phone.

He's wearing a beige oversized sweater and black pants, his backpack on his side with the logo facing me. I look at it examining the shield and the owl.

Weird, The school's issuing a bag?

He must have noticed me looking at it because he said

"It's personally made, usually for the Student Helper of the school so that they can be identified which school you are. But they sell it to students in the joint festival of PAU and PASAL"

"PAU? The university besides us?"

He nods.

A thought came to me "How'd you know that I'm from PASAL and not from PAU?"

He pointed at my bag, I must have looked confused because he pointed at it again, this time he's clearly pointing on the documents inside my case.

"All of the Art, Music and Language majors in PAU, are transferred in PASAL since they're now owned by the same management" Then he smiled this teasing smile. He's really cute when he smiled "You're using a canvas bag"

I stared at him, what does he mean that I'm using a canvas bag? Before I could ask him about it he's already asking another question.

"Why're you late?"

"The movers got the wrong address of our house. I went and fixed it first before I rode the Train" I answered.

"Oh, no worries they usually start 30 minutes after the call time so you still got time till the orientation. And besides, it's not mandatory"

I nodded. Hopefully, that's true. I know that it's not mandatory but I want to know what they'll be saying, I was about to ask him about the bag when the shuttle came.

*******

He gestures for me to tap my metro card first.

The shuttle has no empty sits so I stand near the front and hold on the hanging strap. If I remember correctly the school is 2 stops away. The guy ( I wasn't able to ask his name) stand beside me.

We stood there for a good 5 minutes before he spoke.

"I forgot to ask what's your name?" I shift so that I'm facing him.

"Chaeri Reyes, you?"

"Park Mingyu, which course you're in?"

"Fine Arts"

The shuttle stop and a lot of passengers are getting out. There are a lot of empty seats but our stop is next so I didn't bother taking it.

I look at Mingyu if he's planning to sit down but he's still holding on the strap and looking at his phone. Passengers came in and the shuttle moved again. He shoved his phone in his pocket and looked at me.

"Major?" he continued asking.

I steadied my feet.

"Art History and Culture" I answered and he smiled. He pointed on the canvas bag I'm holding.

Okay, what's with the bag?

It's we bear bears canvas bag; I check it for any holes or rip or whatever it is he mean.

I wrinkled my forehead and look at him funnily that clearly and I mean clearly says I have no idea what you're talking about.

"What's with the canvas bag?"

"It's a running joke in school. Almost all of the Fine Arts students have one"

I still don't understand, it's an eco-bag for goodness sake. I'm pretty sure all earth loving or cartoon loving person would by this one especially when my favorite bears are plastered on the front.

"Why didn't you took studio art, art history majors are usually studio art degree holders right?" he asked, I shrug.

I already know that, my adviser back in high school told me about it and that I told her my Dad insisted on it even though he didn't really.

"Personal reasons?" I nod at him.

I didn't want to explain the reason why I didn't take it. The truth is I at pencil sketching; I'm great when it comes to paints but sketches? I'm terrible at it.

In my defense, I was under a Dance Academy in high school rather than Arts.

Though Papa insisted that I look for a course that can help his empire, he runs a few galleries and whole other business that surely will be pass to Changbin so I went to the small one.

Galleries

I rather talk art to people that run an empire.

It can even help me focus on choreographing dance moves for our dance group.

"How about you what are you taking?" I ask him.

He switches his other hand so that his right hand is free and he lifts his ID lace a little.

"Modern Language" I read. "what language?"

"German, but I'm taking the others as a beginner"

"Wow!, what year you're in?"

"Second"

"Wait I thought you're an SH?"

I thought SH are 3rd or 4th years. The seminar talked about the SH program, they're the one taking care of the foreign students in PASCAL and they're getting paid for it. 

It's actually quite a sum especially when the things needed in school are expensive then there's the tuition itself.

"I was an exception" he didn't elaborate and I didn't push him to because he didn't push me to explain why I'm not taking studio art.

"How many Languages do you know?"

"Korean, Japanese, English and German, and French"

He's ticking it off with his fingers.

"I'm jealous"

"Don't be everyone's good at something. I'm pretty sure you're good at something I'm not to"

The shuttle stopped, he gestured for me head out first and I did.

I looked at my watch to see what time it is and it's already 8:25.

I still got 5 minutes.

I headed to the main gate near the weird circle arc where the cars pass through.

Few students are entering the gate. I'm guessing they're already upperclassmen because...

I can't even say it. Chae, you're freaking late hurry up.

PASAL only have less than a thousand students not because few people enrolled here but because of the process to get in.

If you look at it, Philippines Asian School of Arts and Letters is an extension of Pascal Augmentum University here in Pascal City where the main branch is.

PAU is known for its science courses and PASAL for Arts, and both are managed by the same management and the screening of students goes to PAU that's why even though PASCAL got a spaceship-like building that can accommodate thousands of students it doesn't have one.

Not to mention the crazy amount you need to pay if you're not in a scholarship.

I tapped my ID and Manong Guard let me in easily.

"You're already late" he jokingly said.

"I know"

I heard Kuya Mingyu called my name and I stopped to wait for him.

He nodded at the walkway where trees are lined up on the side "Just go straight, you'll see the auditorium from there"

"Thanks, Nice meeting you"

"See you around" Mingyu went straight to the main building and I half walk and run the other way.

******

Thankfully I arrived and they're not starting yet. An S.A let me sit behind where the foreign students sit because my department is all way the up to the front.

I sat on the empty seat beside a girl with red short hair and big ears and OMG she's so pretty.

"Hello" she greets as soon as I sit. She got these big eyes that made her look like an anime.

"Hello, were you here long?"

"Oh! No some of us just arrived here"

I took out my student handbook.

"You're part of the language course?" I ask her.

She nodded.

"I'm taking it as a minor degree, I'm actually enrolled in PAU"

My eyes widen, woah wait what?

"You're a PAU student?" She nodded and smile.

"And your course there is?"

"Chemistry"

Wow! She's pretty and kind and sweet and smart.

Okay, now I'm jealous.

The orientation began and my attention went to the stage.

*****

"That was a handful" Sakura murmured to me.

Yes I found out her name

Sakura Ichikawa and she is Japanese. We also live in the same Hall which is Mendell Hall and fortunately for her, she lives alone because foreign students get to have the room all to their selves.

Lucky her, I get to share with a roommate.

She insisted on calling her Kura because Sakura is long.

"I'll just talk to Mingyu-san then we can have lunch," she said.

"I'll come with you then"

There's a lot of students leaving already, classes will start 2 days from now because some out of country students like Kura still hasn't arrived and the other students are still adjusting to their dorms.

We went out to the pillar where a lot of students are talking to each other.

Most of them are foreigners.

I was actually shocked to see Mingyu among them talking to some people.

Oh, wait Mingyu. Why am I remembering it now?

"Mingyu-san" Sakura called.

Mingyu looked at her and smiled. The one he's talking to bid goodbye.

I was nearing them when I hear them speaking in Japanese.

"You're going back to the dorm?" 
"No, I'm having lunch with a new friend Chae"
"Chae?"

Mingyu looked at me then he waved at me.

"Chae"

"You know her?"
"We met a while ago"

He gestured for me to come closer and I did.

"You're having lunch? Can I come with you? I'll just wait for Vernon and Dami" Mingyu asked.
I nodded at him. I'm hungry and I don't know anyone here yet so might as well make friends right?

Sakura, on the other hand, looked bewildered.

"Vernon-san? I thought he's going to eat with Dami and Azel?"

Thank god they're speaking in English.

"Azel got a class get together and Dami will be coming with us also I didn't get the chance to tour you in the Cafeteria"

She smiled awkwardly.

"So where are they?" I ask him.

"Vernon chat a while ago- Oh there they are" Mingyu is looking pass me.

I turn around to face them when a familiar face looks at me.

"Chae?" he said, his voice familiar as even though I haven't heard it for years.

My eyes widen.

It took me a while before responding. HOLLY DAMN

"Johan? Han-Han?" by this time he's already hugging me.

He held me at arm's length.

"Why are you so tall" he complained and I can't help but laugh.

WTH it's been 10 years and that's still what he's saying.

"The hell, Chae we haven't seen each other for 10 years and you're laughing at me?"

"Sorry" I'm wheezing "Just that-" I held my breath.

Chae keep calm, the hell are you doing?

I stopped laughing and look at him

Holly why is he so gorgeous, Glow up?

"Damn you grew well" I murmured.

"I know" he paused.

Did he just look me up head to shoe?

His attention went back to my face and he smiles this toothy smile "You grew up gorgeous"

I punched him and looked at the other before starting to feel familiar feelings welling up.

******

*THANKS FOR READING*

Sorry about the grammatical errors.