D-Day

The Fall

Finally, the day I dreaded the most came. ‘The first day of school’. I’ve always been uncomfortable with people, so first days are really hard. I just can’t put up with the staring and I sometimes get panicky and clumsy.

The past two weeks flew by. I spent a lot of time with Chanyeol, exploring the town, going hiking and reading in the library. Chanyeol is almost similar to me except in that, he is very social and jovial. He smiles and interacts with people a lot. I was surprised to find out that such a person didn’t have a best friend. “Selflessness is almost a nonexistent trait” he replied when I questioned him about that. That moment I felt, his playfulness is just a façade to cover up his scars and I decided to be that one selfless person he needs.

I’m looking forward to a better start today as I have Chanyeol by my side to make the so-called ‘first day of school’ less awkward. Thinking, I showered and put on light blue shirt with dark washed jeans and a black cardigan. I kept my hair down in loose waves and finished the outfit with white sneakers. I took my bag, my phone and got down to have breakfast. I was shocked to see the breakfast set on the table with a note beside it. It read,

“Since it’s your first day of school, I know you’d be nervous. So I made you breakfast. Have a great day honey.

Love,

Mom”.

A smile crept on my face and I happily munched on the food my mom made. I washed the dishes after I finished, grabbed the keys of my Mazda and set out for the school. It is a fifteen minute drive from my house.

The school parking lot was bustling with life. Friends catching up with each other after a long vacation, people pulling pranks, reunited couples, it was all crowded. I found a spot and parked my car. After I got out, my eyes met with an ecstatic Chanyeol waving from across the lot. I quickly strode towards him.

Hey Kia! How are you girl? Ready for the school? Come on, I’ll take you to the school’s office and let’s get our schedule sorted.” He said.

I just smiled and replied with a nod.

Soon we found ourselves in the school’s office. The receptionist was busily organizing the papers when Chanyeol greeted her,

“Morning Mrs. D’Souza”

She looked up from her papers and smiled.

“Morning Mr.Park. Just a second, I’ll fetch your schedule- who is this lady?” she asked as she saw me standing beside Chanyeol.

“I’m Kiara Jackson and I’m a new student” I told her.

“Ah! You must be the daughter of the new scientist who’s come into the town” she appended.

I nodded with an awkward smile. She probed through the stash of papers and gave us our schedules. She also gave me a map, my locker number and a slip that is to be signed by all my teachers and submitted by the end of the day. We thanked her and headed out to the lockers. Chanyeol snatched my schedule and scanned it.

“We have the same classes, Kia, except for the last period, in which you have advanced physics and I have nothing. Never knew you’re so good at physics. That class has the best students in physics and both the senior and the junior year students are put together. Good luck with that.” he informed me. I felt intimidated by this information. He understood that and patted my back in reassurance.

I arranged my books in the locker and got to my first class, which is English with Chanyeol by my side.

I met with the teacher, Mr.Turner, got the paper signed.

“New student uh?” he enquired

“Yes sir”

“Oh! Where are you from?”

“Manhattan”

“New Yorker uh! Welcome to La Pine and go take your seat” he gestured towards the seats.

I nodded and went to the back where Chanyeol was and sat on the empty chair beside him, adjacent to the window. The class soon began to fill. When all the seats were filled, Mr. Turner made me introduce myself. I felt really conscious when all the students turned to look at me. Though Chanyeol was reassuring, I still felt panicky and stuttered through the introduction. After embarrassing myself in front of about 50 students, I couldn’t pay attention to what Mr.Turner was talking about. I was looking out through the window, taking in the beautiful and peaceful surroundings, when I saw someone familiar. He was strolling along the ground with the headphones on him. I gasped when I realized who he was. He was the same person I encountered at the grocery store.

“The Porsche rude guy” I muttered to myself.

He looked in my direction as if he heard what I said. I was perplexed when our eyes met. His gaze was so magical that, I couldn’t bring myself to turn away.