Coincidence

The Fall

 “Beeeeep” I woke up to the alarm.

I got down from the bed and went into the balcony and basked in the morning sun. It is so peaceful and beautiful. I don’t know for how long I’ve been there drinking in the beauty of the morning. Finally, I started to get cold so I had to get inside. I finished my morning routine and took a shower. I put on blue jeans and a white blouse and got downstairs. I made scrambled eggs, filled the glass with orange juice and began eating in silence. Suddenly my phone pinged and I felt delighted when I saw a text from Kay.

“Hey Kia, wassup? Are you liking it there? Mrs. Jones just called to inform that ‘Jane Eyre’is back in stock. I hope you would finally manage to find your copy there. Everything’s just normal here.

Love you

I felt really bad ‘coz every time I went to get that book, it was, “sorry we don’t have it”, “out of stock” or “someone took it”. It felt so ridiculous that I couldn’t find a book in the huge New York! That frustrated me. Though the chances are very slim, I’ll try searching for it here.

M fine Kay. It’s beautiful here. Thanks for telling me. I guess I’ll find it here. 

Love you too.”

I texted Kay back and cleared up the table. I took my jacket and headed out to find the bookstore.

After searching for an hour I finally managed to find one. It is named Paddy’s Corner. I chuckled at the weird name. Not just the name but the bookstore too was weird. It looked like an oversized tree house only that, it is not perched upon any tree. It looked way too ‘natural’. On the whole, it gave off an ancient aura. I wonder if I would even find 'Twilight' at this place. I sighed and went inside.

I had to remind myself to close my mouth once I was in. It was nothing like what I thought of. With the dim yellow lighting and many shelves filled with books, it looked like a library at an ancient palace. It is so beautiful that you wouldn’t want to leave that place. I was greeted by a smiling elderly woman. She probably understood the shock on my face and gave me a toothy grin.

“How can I help you dear” she asked very politely.

“I was wondering if I could find Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte here…” I trailed waiting for her answer. I had my fingers crossed.

“There’s just one copy of it and you would find it in the gothic section upstairs in the 15th lane”

I almost shrieked of happiness and ran upstairs. I was rushing past the bookshelves until I came to the 15thlane. I scanned all the books on the shelf and I finally found what I wanted. Immediately I grabbed the book and rushed down only to be stopped in my tracks. I spun around and met with a pair rather 2 pairs of eyes. He was holding onto my book.

“I got it first” I protested. I cannot lose this chance of getting that book.

“But I saw it first” he retorted.

We glared at each other in silence for a few minutes. Then I finally gave up and came with a solution.

“How about I buy the book first, finish reading it and lend you after 3 days. Please say yes ‘coz I’ve been searching like crazy for this book” I used my best pleading eyes.

His stare softened and sighed, giving up. I mentally celebrated.

“I’m Park Chanyeol by the way, junior at La Pine High” he extended his hand.

“I’m Kiara Jackson, junior at La Pine High and new to this town” I smiled and shook his hand.

We lost the track of time talking to each other. I told him about my move, my love for books, my old place, my family and friends. He promised to show me around this town and told about himself, the school and this place. In the end, I found out we were both insanely similar in our tastes. I was glad I found someone just like me and moreover a friend in this new place. We exchanged our numbers and set off for our homes.

After I got home I fixed myself dinner and ate in silence. After I finished, I cleaned the dishes and went upstairs. I took a warm shower, changed into my sweats, brushed my teeth and got into bed. I started reading the book I finally found after a long search.