Chapter One

Night World / chapter three posted
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


Chapter One


“...this year was gonna be unforgettable...”

A soft breeze rippled through the leaves, delivering the strong sent of pine through the hiking trails. The young tour guide crept cautiously toward a particular tree trunk, and looked up toward the thick greenery. The sudden shutter of a disposable camera grabbed her attention, and she turned around hastily.

“Mrs. Park I told you to be quiet, or you’ll scare off the Siberian blue robin.” She whispered toward the older lady, turning to peer back up the tree at the carefully placed nest. The rest of the bird watchers lifted up their binoculars, to get a better look.

“It wasn’t me this time dear...” Mrs. Park insisted, and she was telling the truth. The women had put her camera away after the squirrel incident half an hour ago, not touching it since.

With everyone’s attention on the birds nest, a hooded figure in the back was able to sneak off. Town Hall claimed it was for safety and environmental reasons that visitors were only allowed in designated areas supervised by a tour guide, but he bagged to differ. There was something else going on in those woods, and he was gonna use this chance to find it. After all, it was his duty to The Haecheon Conspiracy’s loyal reader ship. They may be few in number, but they weren’t gonna let the government pull the wool over their eyes any longer.

After shimmying down into a ditch, he set foot on the forest floor. Silence surrounded him, he began walking, as he waited for a sign. He must have been out there for ten minutes, when finally he heard a faint whimper. Taking the chance he embarked forward through the trees. A few minutes passed, until finally he came across a dying deer. He lifted the disposable camera up to document the gapping and rigid wounds. This was in no way natural. Surely if he managed to sell these to the Haecheon Post, the government wouldn’t be able to simply cover things up. With these and the rest of the photos he had developing in his apartment, there had to finally be enough proof.

That’s when his smugness was interrupted by a breaking branch in the distance. It had to be a few hundred feet away. Grrrr.....a low growl followed with an echo. He couldn’t tell how far away it was now, and the trees were so dense. He checked his watch.

3:45 PM

It was gonna start getting dark soon, and he knew he needed to get out of there. He bolted back toward where he came from, tripping over scattered twigs and low grown bushes. He clawed his way up the side of the ditch, but didn’t stop for a breath when he got to the hiking trail. The birdwatching group had gone far passed the robin’s nest by now, and he hurried after them.

Luckily he was able to regroup as they made their way to one of the Saldae Forest Association outposts. Taking the opportunity to lower his baseball cap further over his face, he migrated back toward the bus stops among the large group of elderly folks.

However he didn’t properly breath till he got to the elevator of his apartment building. The whole bus ride and walk home he kept a close eye out. He was certain he was being followed for a couple months now. It was risky to go on a mission like that now of all times, but he needed more evidence. He was back finally, and at least now he could organize it all.

Before the elevator doors closed, a young man slipped inside and the two stood awkwardly in silence. “Good afternoon Se Ho...you go hiking today?” The young man greeted, adjusting the bag of groceries he was holding, as he gestures toward the the SFA pin he was wearing. Se Ho’s hand grasped the pin, having forgot the group were given them going in.

“Oh...u-h...ummm....y-yes. No....we were bird watching mostly.” He swallowed hard, wanting to change the subject “How was your day Jong Min...”

“Good! I got a lot of work done, but I had to run out and get groceries for the week since Haebyul is starting school tomorrow and Jongok is.....” The young man’s words seemed to trialed off, as Se Ho’s mind became preoccupied. Some time before they reached their floor Jong Min had noticed, and sighed at the usual end to their interactions. They might have shared a floor, but Se Ho was practically a hermit and it was almost impossible to get a proper conversation out of him.

Se Ho didn’t bother to say goodbye as they walked in different directions, hurrying to his door, and fumbled with the key pad. Once inside he flicked on the lights, a jungle of papers and books revealing itself. He swiftly locked the door behind him, and trudged through the clutter to the living room. He threw down his bag, pulling out his phone to make another post on his account.

A sudden creaking of floor boards caught his attention, sweat building at the back of his neck, as he felt the breeze of wind pass down the hall from his bedroom. The windows...he hadn’t locked them.



***



Opening the door of her locker wide, Seonha began retrieving her clothes. It had been a long day at work, but even so she was gonna miss her shifts at the Saldae Forest Association. Aunt Minjung suggested she get a part time job over summer break, but now that the new school year was starting, she would have to give up her shifts in order to study.

She ped her zest, and pulled off her t-shirt. After she had folded her cargo shorts up and placed them neatly over the rest of her uniform, Seonha proceeded to pull on her jumper and finish getting changed. She was running a little late, and had to hurry if she didn’t want to miss dinner.

Seonha didn’t live too far from Saldae Forest anyway, so she didn’t mind walking. The sky was starting to turn orange as the sun began to dip toward the horizon. She was making her way from the main outpost toward the sidewalk, which would lead her past the high school and eventually to her aunt’s duplex.

Seonha took a deep breath of fresh air, taking in the scenery. The sun was warm, and the breeze from earlier still persisted, brushing through her hair. Delivery boys drove by as well as a few expensive cars from up town. Most people were probably busy downtown or at the beach. It was one of the last days of summer, and she wanted to soak it all in even if it was just the walk home.

Bzzz Bzzz

A sudden buzzing came from her bag, and Seonha reached over to grab her phone from the side pocket. Peering over the screen, a photo of her and Gahyeon popped up. Quickly sliding her figure across the screen, she lifted the phone up to her ear. “Yah! Lee Gahyeon!”

“I know, I know...I was gonna call you, but uhh...something came up.” Her friend tried to reason over the phone, but Seonha wouldn’t have it.

“But we’ve barely hung out all summer. You said you’d go on the hike today and keep me company.” Seonha sighed, she couldn’t stay mad at her best friend, but it was gonna be their last year of high school and the summer went by so quickly. “First it was my aunts birthday, then it was our hair appointment...what’s going on? You don’t have a boyfriend do you?”

“Oh ew, gross no...it’s just um...family stuff. Anyway how did the hike go?” Gahyeon quickly changed the subject.

“Oh it went well, you really should have come though. We got to see some Siberian blue robins! It was really nice out, and I only had to stop and take a break once.” Seonha smiles. “I can’t believe the school year is already starting, can you imagine we’ll really be in grade twelve?”

“I know right? Things went by so fast...oh...sorry Gogo, I’m being called for supper. Talk to you later?” Seonha nodded at Gahyeon’s words, before remembering they were on the phone.

“Oh yeah! Sure, I understand. I’ll call you later. I’m almost home anyway.” After exchanging goodbyes, the girls clicked off, and Seonha put her phone back in her pocket as she neared her house. Typing in the code, she gave a sigh of relief opening her front door.

Thankfully the smell of warm kimchi chicken was still fresh in the air, as she took her shoes off. “Auntie Minjung I’m home!” Seonha called, walking toward the kitchen to find a place setting for her, a big bowl of kimchi chicken and bacon fried rice. She dropped her bag down and walked to the fridge to get a glass of milk.

“Oh Seonha! I’m so glad you’re home sweetheart. Quick question...if you were a Joseon Prince in love with a servant and a gisaeng...what would you do?” Minjung asked walking down the stairs, laptop in hand, her hair in a messy bun.

“Well if your main character is a prince Auntie, can’t he just marry them both? Didn’t most princes have more then one consort?” Seonha shrugged, stuffing a big scoop of rice into .

“Oh! That’s a great idea! So much more drama that way, because who will he spend the most nights with?” Minjung excitedly set her laptop down and began jotting something down on a sticky note, which she promptly pasted on the fridge. Seonha was used to Minjung’s little story notes being pasted all around the house. She once woke up to a list of various character traits, stuck to their bathroom mirror.

“Are you excited for school?” She asked, sitting down across from her niece.

“Definitely, but also a little nervous.” Seonha chuckled.

“Well that’s good, nerves can be helpful!” Minjung reassured, before remembering something important. “Oh right, Seonjin called earlier wanting to talk with you but I told her you were probably at work. Anyway, she mentioned she might not be able to come visit for a month or two.”

“Wait really? I gotta go call her!” Seonha perked up, and dashed upstairs with her bag in hand.

“Your food—“ Minjung stopped mid-sentence with a shrug, and reached over to steal and piece of chicken as she got back to typing.



***



Jinho pushed open the front door of the Byun manner, walking toward the main staircase with heavy shoulders. This was it, he couldn’t eat there anymore. It didn’t matter how good their japchae was...or the pajeon....No! He had to keep himself together. Jinho raised his palm to his forehead, man did he need a drink after today. He could still hear her delicate voice...”I see we still got that spark between us.”

“Jinho dear? What’s wrong?” A sultry voice asked, as Byun Jina strode over from the living room.

“Oh...nothing Mother. Just a long day of studying and I’m running low on blood.” He sighed, as she his head.

“Alright then dear, I’ll bring you up a glass. But what were you reading all day?” She reached for the book in Jinho’s arms, and smiled at the title. “Merlin’s Journals from his time on the Council? Your father will be very pleased.” A smirk curled on her lips, and she pressed a kiss on his cheek. He smiled lightly in response and made his way upstairs. If his mother thought his father would be proud, that was a good sign.

Falling down on his bed, he took in the luxurious room. It was modern yet full of antiques. One whole wall was a bookcase filled with first addition classics, mixed in with volumes of important Night World biographies. His life was so different, so so different from hers. Oh why did this problem have to be his of all people’s? He couldn’t stop thinking about that day, no matter how much he wanted to.

After a previous night of panic Jinho had decided he would go back to the Rabbit In the Moon Diner and figure things out for certain. That spark could have been anything, his imagination, static, it couldn’t possibly be what he thought it was. Not when he was finally gonna make his parents proud. He couldn’t handle any distractions.

Of course it started out like any other time he went there to eat. He brought a book with him, and sat at the back corner where he would watch the rest of the diner in peace. The young girl and another waitress went from table to table with soups and sodas. He couldn’t keep his eyes off her, no matter how much he tried to ignore that warm feeling inside him. Naturally, just like the day before, the most out of routine thing happened next. She took his order.

There she was, the wavy hair, tousled bangs, adorabl

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter