Chapter Two

Night World / chapter three posted
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


Chapter Two


“...it’s never safe to be out alone during the witching hour...”

Zhengkang wandered through the bookshelves of the school library, tracing her fingers over the spines of each volume. She knew what she was looking for, but she wanted to take her time finding it. It was something she needed right now, but to actually stare it in the face might be too much. Not many girls her age read books on grief and loss. Unfortunately she’d been having a hard time sleeping, thinking of Heesoon even more often now that school had started.

“There...” she whispered, her finger landing in the binding of one particular book in the well being section. It was the Korean edition of ‘On Grief and Grieving’. Zhengkang pulled it out, holding it to her chest as her back slid down the shelf till she was sat on the floor. “Oh Heesoon...” She spoke with a quiver in her voice, her fingers the smooth cover.

‘You look cute when you study, you know that?’

Zhengkang looked to her right, and could almost see him sitting there beside her, his smile beeming as he looked at her. The last time she sat in a library like this, tucked away in secret...it was just her and Heesoon. They were supposed to be studying, but he had something else in mind. He told her how cute she was, and when she turned to look at him, Heesoon leaned it press a soft kiss on her lips. It was more of a peck really, but when their eyes locked she knew she didn’t want him to stop. She’d never kissed a boy before, but she couldn’t imagine it being anyone but Heesoon.

When he leaned in again, Zhengkang dropped whatever notebook she was holding, and let her fingers tangle into his hair. Their lips pressed longer, and as they did, her heart sped up. When he pulled away, their noses brushed against each other. That was when she knew she loved him.

But now he was gone, and she’d never have him so close to her again. The thoughts brought tears back to her eyes, and it scared her that Luiyang wasn’t there to hold her. She didn’t know how to deal with this alone. “Hey...are you alright?” A feminine voice asked, startling Zhengkang.

“Oh...umm...I’m sorry...” Zhengkang sat up abruptly, trying to wipe away her tears.

“No! Don’t be sorry.” The girl insisted, walking to take a seat beside Zhengkang. “My name is Haebyul. I know you don’t know me, but I’m a really good listening, and hugged. So whatever you need, I’m free to help.” She smiled brightly, and it made Zhengkang feel even slightly calmer. She needs someone, and Luiyang wasn’t there.

“My names is Zhengkang, and well...you see last year my um...my boyfriend passed away. And it’s just been um....really hard...” She confessed, tearing up again. Haebyul was shocked, not expecting it to be so heavy. But what made people love Hae, was how she seemed to know exactly what you needed at the right time. A joke, shopping advice, or a hug...and Zhengkang needed a hug.

“Wow...you know, my parents passed away when I was really little.” Haebyul told Zhengkang, wrapping her arms around the younger girl. “I was only about eight at the time. I don’t have very close memories of them...but lots of emotions. I know it hurt more then anything, like a piece of you was torn apart.”

“Yeah...but it won’t go away...” She whispered, her head rested on Haebyul’s shoulder.

“For me I was so young that I think my age made it easier to cope. Plus my brother takes really good care of me. But for him, I can tell he still hurts thinking about them every once in a while. Maybe it never goes away...but you definitely get stronger.” Haebyul pondered, thinking about the times she’d woken up in the night to find her brother looking at their family pictures.

“Stronger? I can barely look at a book about grief without breaking into tears. I see him everywhere but he isn’t there.” Zhengkang was doubtful of how strong she could be. “I couldn’t even handle being in a different class from Luiyang—he was my boyfriend’s best friend—because being alone was too much for me.” Haebyul pulled away for a moment, and cupped Zhengkang’s face, looking her closely in the eyes.

“Listen to me closely ok? You will get stronger. You know why? Because your boyfriend would want you to be.” Haebyul told her firmly. “I don’t think people who pass away completely leave us. In fact I like to think my parents are still around looking out for me and my brother, making sure we’re safe.”

“You think Heesoon is watching over me?” Zhengkang asked, a tingle fillings her chest.

“Of course I do!” Haebyul insisted. The girls hugged, and Zhengkang managed a smile.

“Thank you so much for talking with me...” She looked down shyly.

“No problem. Oh, hey, I have Cheerleading tryouts in a little bit. Want to come watch?” Haebyul asked, to which the younger nodded. “Awesome! Do you have SnapDragon?” Haebyul pulled our her phone, ready to follow her. Zhengkang didn’t think she’d make many friends other then Liuyang, but knowing she had, made her beam.



***



Somehow sitting next to Hyunae throughout all of history class made the subject more taxing. Instead of needing to listen to an old man prattle on about stuff Jinho had learnt many times before, he had to deal with the girl’s constant chirping. Whether or be to ask for an eraser, or insist upon taking both their notes since he didn’t bother writing anything down...she was so bubbly he worried she’d explode.

So when the bell rang, he didn’t hesitant to leave as quickly as possible. Unfortunately she was right on his tale. “Hey Jinho, what’s the hurry?” She smiled, her short stature trying to keep up with his longer strides.

“I have to get to Student Council.” He said plainly, rolling his eyes at her persistence.

“Well wait up then—“ Hyunae reached up to grab the back of his sleeve, as his pace was becoming hard for her to keep up with. However he swung his arm back almost immediately, cutting off the startled girl.

“Can’t you disappear?” He glared at her shocked face, but was astounded at the smile that crept on it.

“How can I do that when I’m also going to Student Council?” She then took his arm again, beginning to drag him down the hall. Completely ignoring his bewilderment.

On the first floor, in an old repurposed classroom by the office, a long table seated seven other students all around it. Mrs. Park stood at a podium at the front, looking over a clip board as students filed in. Jinho took a seat and Hyunae sat close by him as usual. He was so rude to her, but she just smiled at him. How could that be? A part of him knew, but he dare not even think the word itself.

“Alright Kids, this looks to be everyone. If there are a few more you can update them on whatever they miss in your free time.” Mrs. Park began with a cheerful smile, addressing the students present. “First matter of business is discussing the Student Council President election process. As usual those running will campaign for three weeks starting next Monday.” Jinho looked over to see Sihyeon jotting every word down in a notebook, to which he couldn’t help but scoff. “You can put up posters, hand out pins, whatever you like. But there will also be debates and Q&As held for the student body to watch. The last one before voting will take place at an assembly, the rest will air on BNN where students can watch them more then once on the school website.”

“Will we determine who is running today?” A boy asked, raising his hand.

“Yes we will Jeongin, since today is unfortunately our only official meeting this week.” Mrs. Park confirmed, turning to write something on the board. “All those who wish to run should put their name here.” She put the chock down and stepped aside.

Jinho quickly stood up, and locked eyes with Sihyeon who had gotten up at the same time. They both wanted to be president more then any other students, so it wasn’t a surprise that when they both went up, the only other kid to put down their name decided to get back up and erase it again.

“Should we finalize official positions Mrs. Park?” Seonha asked, borrowing Sihyeon’s notebook to write something down.

“Yes, thank you for reminding me.” Their teacher smiled, but before she could continue, Mrs. Park was interrupted by the sound of the door bursting open.

“Sorry I’m late, I was in the library...” A girl with a high ponytail bowed, quickly taking a seat.

“That’s alright Miss Jong, you haven’t missed much. We were just about to assign official positions.” Mrs. Park held up a sheet of paper from her clipboard, that was split into sections. “Easily enough, since only Sihyeon and Jinho are running, automatically the alternate will become Vice President. Which means everyone else is free to choose their jobs!” She beamed, “When I call out a position, raise your hand. If more then one raises their hand, we’ll do a vote.”

First she called out the secretary spot, which Seonha was the only volunteer for. The girls in their corner congratulated her, as Mrs. Park moved on. Jeongin was chosen as Auditor, and after a little deliberation, Hyunae happily became their Historian. Haebyul was elated when she got the Social Chair position, as well as Social Media representative. Each grade representative was determined, and soon enough the sheet was full. “Excellent! I made special name tags for everyone, but I think I forgot them in my office Kids. I’ll just run and grab them quickly.” Mrs. Park smiled, turning to head out of the classroom.

There was a consuming silence, before one of the boys spoke up. “What are you gonna do when you become president Jinho?”

“Why do you assume Jinho is gonna win?” Sihyeon asked, standing up.

“You really think you can beat me Ran?” Jinho stood to size her up with a laugh, ignoring Hyunae’s confused expression, tugged on his jacket.

“Well if I’m honest, I think I have a shot!” She insisted, but he only laughed more.

“You’re being a real jerk right now Jinho. Isn’t it a little arrogant to assume you’ll beat her?” Jeongin stood up between the two.

“And how exactly would you know that?” Jinho glared at him.

“Well for starters you are an most of the time, so people don’t tend to like you very much.” Jeongin pointed out, not backing down.

Sihyeon wasn’t sure what to do, whether she should interfere or not. She moved away from her seat, and walked over to Jeongin, lightly grabbing his hand. “Jeongin...” but neither boy seemed to pay attention.

“What? So you show up for the last month of grade eleven, and all of a sudden you know what the whole school thinks?” Jinho scoff, the two boys getting dangerously close.

“Wow Sihyeon, you’re sure lucky to have a guy fight for you like that...” One of the other girls whispered, and Sihyeon blushed when she felt Jeongin’s hand hold hers tighter.

Thankfully before the two of them could turn to fists, Mrs. Park was back holding a box with the name tags. It defused the tension, but it didn’t stop Hyunae’s myriad of questions and concerns after their meeting had adjured. Why did he seem to hate Sihyeon? Did everyone else really think he was a jerk? What was his problem with Jeongin? But of course he couldn’t answer with anything aside from because. He couldn’t tell her it was because they were human like she was, and he was a vampire from the Byun household. He couldn’t tell her that.



***



A sharp whistle pierced through the field, as the women wearing a blues jacket and leggings paced back and forth in front of the rows of girls. They panted lightly, still reeling from the gruelling laps Ms. Lee made them run. Thankfully Cross Country tryouts were about to begin, so they had to move to the field and vacate the track.

“Alright ladies...when I blow the whistle again, I want to hear those cheers. Loud, so you can be heard across the field. And smile!” She instructed, before stepping back. She waited a moment, then finally lifted the whistle to her lips again. The sharp piecing noise sounded again, and the girls responded.

“VICTORY, WE WANT TO WIN! VICTORY, LET’S DO IF AGAIN! VICTORY, GO EAGLES! VICTORY, LET’S DO IT SOME MORE! GO BLUE! -clap- GO GOLD! -clap- GO EAGLES!” The girls replicated the movements they’d been taught, as Ms. Lee walked around to adjust bent wrists or elbows. Haebyul was by far the loudest, and her smile the brightest. Her friends called her a star for a reason after all.

“Very good girls—especially you Haebyul,” Ms. Lee exclaimed when their second round of chants had ended.

“Thank you Coach!” She bowed, reaching up to adjust her bow.

“Three minute water break girls, then we’ll start going with the music.” She blew the whistle again, and the group dispersed. Haebyul jogged over to where she left her water bottle and pink duffle bag. The water was cold and left her breathless and refreshed after a long swig. Looking around again, her eyes searched the steps near the field, as she pressed the bottle to her warm cheeks. Haebyul smiled when she spotted her new friend, lifting her arm to wave, to which Zhengkang waved back. Joosil walked over with some drinks and snacks, sitting at their spot in the shade. They had both come to see Haebyul’s tryouts, and gotten on when they met. Joosil is rather shy, despite being older, though she managed to talk to Zhengkang none-the-less.

However the aggressive sound of yelling caught both of their attentions, turning away from Cheer and toward where Cross Country was being held. “What the...” Zhengkang trailed off, as Joosil sipped her banana milk in intrigue.

“What do you mean you’re already exhausted?!” Mr. Shin inquired through a much higher pitched voice then usual, throwing his pointer stick to the ground. Practically all the candidates f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter