✩ prologue ✩

nightlight ✩ vmin

for kim taehyung, jimin was every love song that came on the radio. he was every piece of art in every museum, a human being too perfect to be real and breathing. he was the sun peeking up from the horizon, the sign of a new day. jimin was everything taehyung longed for but the one thing he couldn't have, a celestial being so far out of his reach he'd only ever wonder what could be in his dreams.

 

taehyung's faintly remembers his mother telling him 'don't stare at the sun for too long, it'll damage your eyes.' what she forgot to mention was that the sun had a name and the light he emitted was oh so alluring. he's sunburnt, he figures that must be the explanation for the pain he feels in his chest when he looks at jimin (too close, too bright: better back away.) he finds it ironic that he met the warmest boy in the middle of winter, his eyelashes sprinkled with freshly fallen snowflakes that made him look all the more like an angel. 

 

when he was a child his mother had consoled a crying taehyung, body bruised yet again from the older students who'd pick on him.

 

 "they're jealous" she'd whisper, hands running through his hair as he cried "people tear down things that shine." in truth, as a new student from a different city he had no hopes of blending in,  his daegu accent too thick and his smile too wide. he was naive, maybe that's why they decided to torment him, to beat him up in a park outside their elementary school. 

 

it was a cold winter day, snow mixing so cruelly with the blood flowing from his nose when he'd been cornered on his way home from school. they called him names and beat him down but somewhere in that time he'd shut off his mind, numb like his face when it hit the snowy ground. eventually, they left him alone, curled up in the snow and crying openly. he thought his sobs would be heard by no one as the daylight was beginning to fade into darkness, it was at that moment a stretched hand entered his field of vision (had he been listening he might of heard the hurried sound of snow crunching under feet, a small boy rushing to an even smaller one curled into the snow.)

 

"are you okay?" the owner of the hand hesitantly asked (he remembers so clearly the innocence in his saviour's eyes that day, a stark contrast to his now manly demeanour.) it took him a moment to realize that the kind young boy was not an illusion before he grabbed his hand, a mumbled 'i'm okay' leaving his lips in puffs of white. as taehyung looked into the young stranger's eyes he could swear the winter chill didn't feel nearly as cold as it did before. gentle smiles and warm touches were all that he knew of this kind-hearted boy and yet he couldn't help but immediately trust him. the small body bundled up in a coat much too large for him spoke up after a moment of looking over taehyung's injuries.

 

"i'm park jimin!" the boy proclaimed confidently, and he'd never heard a sound so sweet. their hands were still clutched from when the boy— jimin— had helped him up, a fact taehyung's brain had only now noticed, attention drawn away from his twinkling eyes. a young taehyung unconsciously holds the mittened hand tighter as he slowly begins to process the pretty boy's name.

 

"i'm kim taehyung..." he said distractedly "and your hands are warm." at that comment jimin couldn't hold in his laughter, light giggles filling the otherwise silent winter air. taehyung's cheeks heating up not only because of embarrassment but also because of the cute sound of his saviour's laugh. after a long day taehyung never would have thought he'd find the energy to laugh, and yet he finds himself slowly beginning to chuckle as well, their voices loud in the empty park. looking into taehyung's eyes, jimin spoke once again with surety.

 

"taehyung— no, taetae! would you like to be bestest friends?" smiles still adorning their small faces the two shared a look of absolute joy. taehyung's grin got that much wider as he enveloped his new friend in a hug.

 

"of course i will, jiminie!" fate decided, they separated leaving only a small space between the two. releasing their gripped hands jimin proceeds to intertwine taehyung's pinky with his own. confused, taehyung looks up from their hands and into jimin's now serious face.

 

"pinky promise. pinky promise that we'll always be friends." a small smile reaching their faces taehyung shook their intertwined fingers playfully.

 

"promise."

 

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

 

back then, in the bloom of taehyung's youth, he could have never predicted that promises such as their's were never meant to be kept. in that time, snow falling gently and laughter floating throughout playground everything seemed like it'd be okay, a blissful peace that enveloped young minds: a peace that never lasts. 

 

taehyung still remembers the feel of jimin's cold hands and tiny voice as he promise 'always,' he also remembers when it all fell apart. his mind is forever stuck in the past and the future that could have been, late nights wondering what would have happened if they hadn't broke their promise. he wonders, but only in the shelter night brings, the darkness that signifies that the sun is gone. that his sun is gone.