Prologue: The ring

The one that fits

While the legend of the red string of fate held some of the truth about its purpose and what it meant no one really understood why it was told differently when compared to the actual truth that came into play in reality. While the red string existed no could see it or touch it. While many, including the scientists, tried to figure out why they never did figure it out. At first, the number of people who began looking for an answer was small, but slowly over time, they began to grow in number. Yet no matter how many tried no one could find the answer to the question. While some demanded answers, others were fine without really knowing why it was as it was. When those who demanded answers heard from their counter anger and frustration surfaced, their cries that they needed to know where brushed aside with the simple response that, "We don't need to know everything in life. Sometimes a little mystery does good for the soul."

When one is born, they are bare, fragile and pure. As their surrounded by love, affection and contagious smiles all is right in the world. A few hours later, a ring would appear beside the newborn. At first, no one could help but wonder who the maker of the rings was but shortly after no one questioned it after some time. Not when years after they somehow find their other half and the idea of exchanging rings surfaced. When their eyes landed on the name of the person they traded rings with and the red string from the tale they were often told as children showed they knew that the person before them was their soulmate. Remembering the story they were told from their parents about how the ring appeared hours later after they were born they could do nothing but thank the unknown maker of the rings. 

While the red string of fate was a beautiful tale, many learned that some people didn't always get a soulmate. When some were born no matter how many hours went by a ring wouldn't appear. In fear the parents of the newborn would wait a day or two before leaving to go home. When no ring made an appearance they would ask the nurses and doctors if they had seen a ring, but each time the answer was no. After a while, when word got around the people around the world learned that sometimes not everyone got a ring. And if they did get a ring it wasn't a guarantee the would have a soulmate.

Sometimes the gold or silver bands would begin to dimmer before they'd crack and break. When the very first case of a ring breaking became known it took time for an answer to come to sight. It wasn't until there were more than ten cases that the men in the white lab coats realized that the soulmate of the one with the shattered ring had died that they struggled to explain their theory. It came in the form when they were able to ask a patient who was limited on time if they could wait with her and her husband that they witnessed the ring on the husbands finger shattering once she was long gone that they announced to the public about what they had learned.


Having decided to leave his secluded home, he broke into the society before him stumbling and scrambling for a way to find his place. With his light brown hair, and dark brown eyes he stared in wonder at the rings that shun beautifully whenever the rays of the sun hit them. Smiling at the couples that intertwined their hands together he knew it was his time to find someone for himself. Sadly, years would go by and he would remain without having ever encountered his soulmate. Despite that fact, the dimpled smile never wavered. Instead, it continued to grace his face, throughout the years and decades he learned more and more about the people around him and the world as a whole. When he finally landed in Korea the steps he took were small. Eyes wide, the thrumming in his chest has him smiling. Maybe it would be this century where he would finally find his soulmate and the new purpose he had been searching for. 

When two decades go by and he runs into a male who smiles just as bright as the sun he feels content. Seeing the darkness behind the male he's quick to latch on to the younger males sleeve. As he glances behind him and sees no one his eyes furrow as his lips pursed together into a grimace. Frowning he took one more look at the male before him. Seeing the wide grin and glow in young and open eyes he wondered if what he saw at all was real. 

Shaking his head, he slowly extended his hand, his smile once more in place as he said, "Hi, I'm Kim Namjoon."