Chapter Three

Day of the Living Six (Day6 Fan-Fiction)

    As the sun set and moonlight filtered through the holes embellishing the dusty lace curtains, a hand gripping onto Jae's shoulder caused his eyes to fling open. Startled, he immediately rose from his spot - feet planting themselves atop the bed as he held an extended arm out in a defensive position. A chuckle filled the room as Brian stood there, admiring the taller male's stature as he took a bite of cereal from the bowl resting in his palm.

    "Calm down, Kung-Fu Panda," he teased as he handed Jae's glasses to him.

    Heaving a sigh, the older male adjusted the frames to his face before running a hand through his messy hair, "What are you doing? Is everything okay?"

    Brian nodded as he motioned towards the front room, another bite of food filling his left cheek as he spoke, "Everything is fine. Your brother told me to wake you up. We're heading out."

    "At night? Why?"

    Rummaging of slight motions and shuffles sounded from the hallway as Sungjin appeared before the doorway. Backpack strapped to his shoulders, he ran the blade of his machete against a decently-sized rock in an attempt to sharpen the edge.

    "Brian thinks we should head out at night," he leaned against the door frame before sheathing his weapon into the holster on his hip. "Something about avoiding PAT's and PABA's."

    Jae lifted a brow as he nodded towards his sibling in disbelief, "What's gotten into you? You never listened to me when I suggested traveling at night."

    "Probably because you freak out at the slightest sound," Sungjin deadpanned. 

    Brian snorted as he took a final bite of cereal before setting the bowl atop a nearby cluttered desk. Wiping his lips with the tip of his thumb, the youngest male tucked his hands into his pockets, "Fight later - we need to get moving."

    Gnawing at the pillowed flesh of his bottom lip, Jae waited until the newcomer had left before pulling his younger brother into the room. Peering at the hallway to ensure they were alone, he yanked Sungjin closer, "How do we know this isn't a trap?"

    "Because it's not."

    "But how do you know?" Jae pushed his glasses further up the bridge of his nose with raised brows. "He could be lying, Sungjin. We don't know anything about him, but yet, you're so keen on following a complete stranger."

    The bear-like male rolled his eyes, "I can assure you he's not a bad guy."

    "But how do you know?"

    Pausing for a moment,Sungjin prised his brother closer as he spoke in a harsh whisper, "If he is, I'll take care of him. Stop worrying now, okay?"

    Anxiety balled Jae's insides as he stood there - eyes locked with his sibling's as tension strained the atmosphere. A noticeable ball jutted from Sungjin's jaw as he clenched his teeth together; muscles expanding. As the two continued to stand there completely stationary, Jae felt a shift in his emotions. 

    Despite being the older sibling, he couldn't help but feel a bit disheartened. Growing up in a relatively close family, neither of the siblings had ever depended much upon one another. Quite, the opposite, actually.

    Both of the men were somewhat older when the outbreak occurred - Jae 21, Sungjin 20.  Throughout those years, resentment had always been present, but managed to lay dormant until the pair entered the middle school. Sungjin was a golden child in that he was proficient in education, sports, leading, and so forth. Jae, on the other hand, was the opposite. He wasn't unintelligent, but rather not quite keen on putting forth the effort to effectively apply himself. He had never taken a peak interest in sports, but music? A natural talent. Fixing things with hands? Instinctual. Something of a genius when it came to inventions? Absolutely.

    Envy lurked around each corner, however. 

   Jae's jealousy towards his younger brother's accomplishments turned their bond bitter. Of course, Sungjin didn't exactly try to fix the situation, either. Instead of attempting to understand his older sibling's feelings, vocal volleys were traded back and forth like a child who is brought to a candy store, but is told they can only purchase one treat. 

    Arguments that resulted in no victor. Tears that poured out at midnight once alone in the haven of their bedrooms. A certain disdain that gnawed around the border-less edges of their hearts until the artery grew thin.

    What was initially unspoken resentment soon turned vocal. What was once a normal bond shared as children evolved into a relationship where sharp tongued words and semi-sincere apologies were exchanged once the siblings grew older. Living had altered their outlooks on life, turning both bitter in their own right. Even now - in the present day, post-apocalyptic society - the siblings continued growling at one another's throats. 

    Though the world may change, petty contempt is forever. 

    "Are you two ready?" Brian's query broke the brothers of their intense eye contact as he stood by the front door, sniper rifle slung over his back as his thumbs rested upon either combat knife strapped to his hips. 

    Jae was the first to exit the bedroom as he gathered his belongings from the coffee table centered in what used to be a family room. Sungjin heaved a sigh before following, dark circles around tired eyes, "What's the plan exactly?"

    "Ah, yes," Brian pulled a small folded map from his pocket before pointing to a pencil-scribed scribble circling a northern mountain range, "here. This is where the settlement is supposed to be."

    Squinting as he pushed his glasses closer against his face, Jae lifted a brow, "It's located on a mountain?"

    The newcomer nodded his head as he traced the area with his forefinger, "That's what I've been told. Rumor has it that it was built there by people who believed isolation from large cities and populations was the best cure to the apocalypse." Shrugging his shoulders, Brian flashed the brothers a grin, "Can't say I disagree with them, either."

    "Spoken like a true Nomad," Sungjin chuckled a bit as he peeked through the curtains, eyes carefully surveying the surrounding area. Running his palms over the material of his ragged jeans, the broad-bodied male nodded towards the window, "I don't see any walkers, so we should leave now."

    Jae in a sharp breath, "Are you sure this is a good idea?"

    A firm hand gripped his shoulder reassuringly as Brian nodded, "Positive. There's been encounters with PAT's and PABA's along the way, but they normally don't come out at night. I firmly believe we're better off running into a few walkers here and there rather than the latter."

    Nodding, the oldest male drew his machete from its sheath, "Let's go then."

    As the trio emerged into the night, a chill drug its transparent fingertips up the center of each of the male's backs. It was rare to ever venture at such a time considering darkness enhanced walkers' vision. When infected, DNA splices alter the retina's photoreceptor layers. Rods, responsible for a human's natural night vision, and cones, the cells pertaining to color vision, amplify their resolutions - ultimately resulting in the undead's abilities to see the living's heat signatures in dark or dimly lit areas. 

    During the day, however, when light floods the environment, the walkers' vision diminishes. During the beginning stages of the outbreak, many survivors learned of the zombies' blindness, causing majority of them to become careless. It wasn't until 3/4 of the population had thinned out that those left realized that though the day brings sightlessness, their remaining senses are intensified. 

    They can't see you, but they can smell your blood. Also, every breath that falters from your nostrils? The near-silent shuffle of your leg brushing against a blade of grass? The taste of stray sweat drops that have fallen to the ground as they track your taste? They're aware and know your exact location if given the chance. 

    Best be a wallflower.

    "How long will this trek be?" 

    Sungjin's voice cut through the muted atmosphere as Brian merely shrugged, "Hard to say. If everything goes smoothly and we take no breaks, we should be there by the morning."

    "And if things don't go according to plan?" Jae queried as he studied their surroundings. 

    "Then we'll get there when we get there," the newcomer smiled as he readjusted the rifle weighing upon his back. 

    Silence washed over the group once again; the only audible sounds deriving from the crunch and crackle of shoes kissing the dried leaves scattered across the ground. Eyes scanning the perimeter, Sungjin heaved a sigh, arms outstretching as he folded his hands behind his head as he walked. Jae lifted a brow towards his sibling as he queried, "Did you get any sleep?"

    "Nope."

    The younger male's reply was quick and cold. A certain awkward tension gripped the atmosphere as both men grew silent. Brian glanced back and forth between the brothers as he snorted, "Are you two always annoyed with each other?"

    "Not always," Sungjin snapped before his brother could, "but frequently."

    The newcomer swiped his tongue across his bottom lip as he slightly shook his head, "That's why I normally fly solo."

    "Yet you're here grouped up with two strangers?" Jae queried in a sarcastic tone, eyebrows scrunched. Brian merely shrugged as he replied with a simple, " happens."

    "That it does."

    An unfamiliar voice broke through the atmosphere like a thief in the night. Feeling their bodies tense, the trio slowly turned around to face the new stranger.