Chapter One

Day of the Living Six (Day6 Fan-Fiction)

    The sound of laughter echoed through the atmosphere as children ran around lush yards.

    Blue skies scattered with ragged white linen filled the void; the Sun radiating down upon families who joined together for various barbecues and picnics. Sizzling meats caused the guests' mouths to water while housewives filled crystal clear glasses with sparkling lemonade. If an outsider were to witness such events, they would be completely unaware of the modern world's condition.

    These scenes were reminiscent of movies and literature; picture-perfect families with their flawless lives. The smiling faces withstanding worry as if there wasn't a single care in the world other than if the lemonade were too sweet or the meat was overly cooked. With a single glance, even the most tame would feel envy fester within their souls at such superlative sights.

    If one were to look beyond the white picket fences and glamorized lifestyles, however, their eyes would soon bestow themselves upon the camo-clad men and women who marched up and down the streets. Machine guns in hand with spare pistols strapped in holsters. Stern faces wearing nearly zero expression as they carried on with their duties.

    Looking beyond them, one would then see the tall walls standing high and mighty; a reminder that the infected would probably never pass such thresholds. Guard towers were strategically placed twenty or so feet apart. Medical tents and various quarantine stations were located a few paces behind these structures. The true prominent feature, though, wasn't the perfect households, towers, or even forty foot tall walls that enclosed Resurrection Order. 

    No, it was the pristine building located right smack-dab in the center of the community. 

    Tall and wide, the edifice donned reflective glass exterior walls. The light grey sliding doors secured with two ex-military personnel who continuously switched shifts throughout the days that passed. The true security, however, wasn't the soldiers, but the control pad located in the center of the doors. Only authorized personnel were allowed inside; their fingerprint, retinal scan, and voice recognition the keys. 

    This building was the new state's pride and joy - an experimental facility holding the post-apocalyptic world's only remaining scientists. Together, they partook in a number of various research tasks - how the infected functioned, what caused the outbreak, why the dead were so vicious, etc.  They had hoped that, one day, their ultimate goal of finding a cure would be met, but so far, no such luck had been bestowed upon them. Regardless, those who lived in the new state experienced pretty easy lives considering the circumstances.

      Contrary to the seemingly lavish lifestyles the citizens of Resurrection Order lived, however, the new world hadn't been so kind to all living.

    While it's true that majority of the survivors who had escaped the September 23rd tragedy flocked to Resurrection Order, there were rogue groups and loners who continued to live their lives outside of the walls. Each individual reasoning varied. 

    Some living believed that the new state was a mere facade built by weak humans who hid away in ivory towers. The belief stemmed from the idea that those who tried to continue their perfect pre-apocalyptic lifestyles were suppressing the truth. After all, white picket fences were only pretty if you maintained the paint job.

    Others took joy in the new society and the slaughter it brought. These individuals fell into one of two categories: Pre-apocalyptic bad apples or post-apocalyptic troublemakers. 

    Pre-apocalyptic bad apples, or PABA's, were those who caused trouble long before the outbreak. Gang leaders, smugglers, instigators, liars, cheaters, thieves, murderers, the list goes on. They were corrupt before the infected came into the picture and continued, if not amplified, their malice in the new world. No law and order granted them the ultimate free will and these particular groups and individuals certainly never squandered such ill-willed gifts.

    Post-apocalyptic troublemakers, or PAT's, were slightly different due to the fact that they had resorted to lives of terror after the outbreak. These individuals lost their minds and abandoned their morals once they witnessed the chaos and the after effects that ensued. Unlike PABA's, PAT's were to be avoided at all costs. Their sense of humanity had completely diminished; a contrast to PABA's who would occasionally show mercy to their victims. 

    The third, and final, survivor groups outside of Resurrection Order:  Nomads. These particular individuals were average beings who endlessly traveled; permanent homes a distant desire. Nomads were fortunate in the sense that they made up the remaining 1% of the Earth, but unlike the citizens of Resurrection Order, they were unlucky in that they had to deal with the aftermath of the new society outside of the barriers. 

    Whether it be battling hordes of the undead, running from PABA's and PAT's, or even so much as scavenging for a bit of food and drink - Nomads experienced the brunt of the outbreak. The world had drastically changed, so adapting to the new environment wasn't easy. Combine that stress with the emotional breakdowns of losing everything - family, friends, home, humanity - and the understanding of why individuals transformed into PAT's became a little clearer. Regardless, Nomads managed to hang onto, at least, a bit of sanity.

    Hope being the differing factor in the equation.

    "Are we almost there yet?"

    Two brothers quietly walked through a dense forest; what should have been an hour trek unexpectedly turning into three. The once blue sky had now tinged to a soft mix of orange and pink; a sign that the sun was setting. Usually, the two men would take a moment to admire the sight, but the present circumstances were different from prior times.

    As soon as the sun dipped over the horizon, nightfall would arrive; the darkness cascading itself over both the living and non-living. Typically, Nomads had locked themselves away in shelters well before this time period, but due to directional mishaps, the two men found themselves lost in a maze of trees and brush. Through overlapping branches, the sun was visibly sinking lower and lower with each passing minute causing the older of the two brothers to gulp.

    "I guess," the younger male responded, his hands curling tighter around the handle of the machete as he continued swinging it back and forth to cut through overgrown vines.

    "You guess? Yah, we can't risk staying out here," the oldest anxiously tapped his fingers on the holster secured around his slim waist, "once nighttime comes, the walkers are going to grow stronger. We can't -"

    "You think I don't know that?" The younger male interrupted, halting in his tracks.

    Studying the landscape, he bit his lip as he nodded towards a willow tree. Thick branches ridden with leaves overflowed onto the forest floor creating a sort of curtain-esque aura. The older brother followed his sibling's trail of vision as he raised a curious brow.

    "What are you thinking?"

    The younger brother shrugged, visible muscles flexing in his broad shoulders, "I'm thinking we need somewhere to hide before the walkers begin lurking."

    "So you want us to hide in a tree?" His brother retorted, forefinger reaching up to adjust his glasses.

    "Do you have a better option, Jaehyung?"

    The two men glared at each other for a moment before Jae gave in with a sigh. Extending his hand, he gestured towards the tree as he sarcastically bowed, "After you, King Sungjin."

    "I prefer your majesty, actually," the younger male corrected with a smile.

    Carefully, the men approached the tree. For the most part, the forest was pretty vacant besides the occasional woodland creature and stray walker. Regardless, however, it was always better to be safe than sorry. 

    Utilizing the blade of his machete, Sungjin slowly pushed the drooped branches aside. Jae clenched his jaw, his hand clasped tightly around the handle of his own weapon. Quickly, the eldest brother clicked his flashlight on - shining it around the tree's perimeter.

    "It's clear," he whispered causing Jae to exhale sharply in relief.

    Pushing the branches further back, Sungjin nodded his head towards the inside, "Ladies first."

    Jae rolled his eyes in response, slightly jutting his elbow into his sibling's stomach as he entered. Situating himself on the ground, the slender being heaved a deep sigh; tilting his head back against the tree trunk as he closed his eyes. Soon, he felt his brother settle next to him; a sigh of relief escaping his lips as well as he pulled a snack out from his bag.

    Peeking an eye open, Jae watched as Sungjin began popping chips into his mouth; the crispness filling the silence with crunches.

    "Yah," Jae nudged his side, "could you have picked a louder food?"

    The elder nudged him back, mouth full as he spoke, "We're fine, there's nothing here. Pretend I'm a squirrel."

    "Ah, right," the youngest retorted in a sarcastic fashion, "when the walkers surround us, I'll make sure to let them know you're a squirrel. Surely they'll understand and leave us alone."

    In response, Sungjin eyed the disheveled man sitting beside him; his hand slowly raising to tilt the bag towards his mouth. Maintaining eye contact, the chips fell in and he immediately began chewing obnoxiously. Sighing, Jae rolled his eyes as he examined the surrounding area.

    Shockingly, the perimeter was wider than he had expected. Both men were able to be seated somewhat comfortably against the thick tree trunk. The branches that drooped down were plentiful and bulky; hiding them from the dangers that lurked beyond like an invisibility cloak wrapped around a wizard. 

    The soft buzzes of insects chattered in the now night air as a delicate breeze cooled his temperature. Closing his eyes once more, he allowed his senses to indulge in the atmosphere around him. Despite the willow tree being his only shelter for the night, Jae found himself enjoying the overall aesthetics of it - cozy and surprisingly soothing.

    Dare he say even homey, maybe?

    "You can sleep first," Sungjin's voice cut into the air causing Jae to jump slightly.

    Shaking his head, the lean muscled brother pulled his machete from his holster as he used his free hand to pat his younger brother's shoulder, "No, you go ahead. I'll keep watch first."

    "You sure?" 

    Pushing his slightly overgrown bangs from his eyes, Jae smiled, "Positive."

    Shrugging, Sungjin merely nodded as he pulled a blanket from his bag. Sprawling the lightweight material over both of their bodies, he rested his head back against the trunk before heaving a slight sigh. 

    "Wake me in three hours," Sungjin fidgeted a bit as he rested his hand over his weapon's handle, "unless you hear something or feel uneasy."

    Jae nodded in response; his eyes heavy as he began watch duty. Luckily, the night was tranquil - more so than it had been in awhile. With the soft breeze that continued to snag onto his burnished locks and the sounds of nature that continued playing as if on a CD, the corpulent lipped man soon found himself yawning; a sign that he was growing too comfortable.

    After an hour or so, Jae's heavy eyelids slowly began to droop like the tree they were hidden under. Sighing, he leaned his head back against the trunk.

    I'll just rest my eyes, he thought as he allowed them to close. 

    Anyone who lived in the new world - regardless of whether they were a citizen of Resurrection Order, a PAT, PABA, or Nomad - knew the one golden rule that applied to all: Never let your guard down. 

    And Jae had done just that.