I Won't Meet Anyone

The Mystery Behind Closed Doors

Jisun hesitantly went in the funeral home as she watched how miserable Seoyeon’s parents looked. She wants to offer her condolences but she can’t even look at Seoyeon’s portrait. At that time, Jiwon passed by her, accidentally bumping a bit on her arm. Jisun turned her head to see who it was  but Jiwon didn’t seem to notice. She was quite depressed due to Seoyeon’s death. Jisun realized that Jiwon is related to Seoyeon and she just subconsciously followed her. Jiwon was walking barefooted despite the fact that it was snowing a bit. Jisun just continued following her, while holding a pair of slip-ons, as if she wants to share the pain that Jiwon feels. Jiwon felt weak and just stumbled on the cold ground while Jisun hurriedly walked over but still maintained some distance. She paused a bit and walked closely, putting down the pair of slip-ons.

 

“Seoyeonnie left without her shoes.. She wasn’t even wearing any shoes…” as Jiwon teared up. “…when she was…going…so far away…”

 

Jiwon cried as much as she wanted and Jisun knew that she had what Jiwon was looking for.

 

 

“It’s still dark outside because the sun isn’t up yet. Where does she wander at this early hour? She rarely leaves the penthouse, but it looks like she goes somewhere every morning. I think she’s obsessive about repeating her morning routine. She takes a shower, cleans, puts on some music and dances—What? She dances?”

 

Jiwon peeked inside the penthouse and saw Jisun dancing to some music. She rubbed her eyes just to make sure that she was not mistaken. But then, Jisun accidentally faced her so she quickly closed the door.

 

“What was that? Was that a hallucination?” as Jiwon slapped her face. “Am I still half asleep?”

 

Jiwon opened the door again to check but she already found Jisun sitting on her chair. So she just walked in and greeted her. Jisun just remained silent.

 

“Gosh. There’s no way she was dancing. That cold psychopath never even says ‘Hi’ back.”

 

“Did she see me dancing?” Jisun thought to herself.

 

 

It was lunch time but Jisun just stayed on her seat while the others went to have lunch.

 

“She never eats with her teammates. It seems like she does eat by herself.”  Jiwon thought as she secretly head to the penthouse’s kitchen. But whatever she eats, the kitchen is always cleaned u. “There’s no smell either. There must be some traces left… I found it!”

 

Jiwon took a chopping board and was surprised when she saw a red mark on it as if it was a blood. But, she was more surprised when she saw Jisun behind her, who immediately took the chopping board. Jiwon hurriedly left while Jisun scanned the chopping board.

 

Does it smell like kimchi?” Jisun thought to herself as she looked closely at the stain on the chopping board.      

 

Even during  the time that they’re about to go home, Jiwon was still analyzing Jisun.

 

After everyone leaves, what does she do her all alone? Tomorrow morning, she’ll sneak out again…like a cockroach.” as Jiwon walked out of the penthouse.

 

Few minutes later, Jisun get in her car and drove away. Little did she know that Jiwon followed her.

 

 

Jiwon watched Jisun play baseball alone in a sport center.

She plays baseball?Oh, she’s surprisingly good. I thought she was a loner who never gets out.” Jiwon thought to herself before shouting ‘Nice!’. Jisun looked back and saw her and she looked quite pissed.

 

“What a surprise! You’re very good. It’s so uncexpected.”

“Why are you here?”

“I’m here to work out. Are you a member here, too? It’s so nice to see you here!”

 

Jisun just ignored her and quickly grabbed her backpack.

 

“Are you leaving?” as Jiwon followed Jisun. “I actually want to learn how to play baseball! Can you teach me? Why are you ignoring me? I’m just happy to run into you~”

 

Jiwon walked ahead of Jisun and faced her.

 

“Isn’t it about time we become closer? Let’s work out together and drink something cold together later~”

 

Jisun walked past her.

 

“I work out alone.”

 

 

“Is it about Park Jiwon again?” Hayoung asked to Jisun. “If she makes you that uncomfortable, she’ll have to go. I’ll take her then.”

“What?”

“I want to teach her a lot~ I’ll keep her near me and—”

“You can’t do that.”

“Why not?”

“I’d like to kick her out of the school for good. If she stays here, she’ll—”

“What?”

“S-She’ll get on my nerves…”

 

Hayoung chuckled a bit.

 

“You can’t kick out someone because of that. You know we can’t kick out students that easily. The board of education is keeping an eye on us after the power abuse issue.”

 

Jisun just sighed.

 

“I’m sorry, Jisun-ah~ I’m sure she’s been sticking around you because of me. I told her to do that~ It was an assignment regarding the organization’s project. I told her to analyze what kind of person you are. She’s observing whatever you do with affection~ Stop being so cold and treat her nicely~”

“With affection?”

 

Jisun glared at Hayoung.

 

“Why is this so funny to me?” as Hayoung giggled. “She’s giving you such a hard time. Roh Jisun has met her perfect match. It all starts from hating each other. Give it some time, and tell me if it’s still too hard for you. I’ll be more than happy to take her~” as Hayoung put her hand on Jisun’s shoulder but Jisun moved it away.

“No. She can stay with me. W-What I mean is…” as Jisun stammered a bit.

“What you mean is?”

“E-Eo…”

 

Jisun avoided Hayoung’s stare and just walked away saying, “We have no choice. Just let her stay.”

 

Hayoung chuckled. After a few minutes since Jisun left, Jiwon arrived to meet Hayoung.

 

“Vice President, I’m here~”

“I’ve been waiting for you. Let’s go.”

 

Jisun, who actually hid behind the stairs, saw Hayoung and Jiwon left together and wondered why they were together.

 

“I’ve finished my assignment.” Jiwon said to Hayoung.

“You have? Where’s your report paper?”

“I didn’t have much to write about. Pres. Roh can be…defined with one word.”

“I’m all ears~”

“A cockroach.”

“A cockroach?”

“Late at night, when everyone’s asleep and no one’s watching, she becomes active. She’s always dressed in black, too. She’s just like a cockroach.”

 

Hayoung chuckled a bit.

 

“She never gives any instructions, or holds any meetings. Silent Monster is like an empty shell. It’s all just a show to pretend that the president has changed.”

“Eh~ That’s harsh.”

“Hm… All her teammates are anxious. They wonder if it’s really okay to do nothing. “

“Atleast, you’re working hard.”

“I don’t do much. I just follow you around and meet people.”

“Do you think we meet people just to have fun? I believe, knowing a good person is a lot more important than reading a book for your life. Today, an executive of a major food company will be here. For the 30th anniversary of our school, we would be presenting a proposal for them to choose to cater foods in our school. There are other schools that would be presenting to convince the food company so, we should do our best. Do you understand what I mean?”

 

After meeting with the executive, Jiwon was feeling light hearted but then she remembered that Seoyeon died in that school. She’s also worried that her father would find out that she transferred in the school where Seoyeon died.

 

Jiwon walked in her dad’s barbershop while he dad was busy with a customer.

 

“Did you eat?” her father asked.

“Yes. It was great… it was really delicious.” she said before heading to her room.

 

“What’s gotten into her? Her answer got longer.” said some of her dad’s friend. “Did something good happen? Ever since Seoyeonnie died, that cheerfulness in her also died. She hardly talks now. Do you think she’ll start talking again?”

 

Jiwon’s dad just sighed as he took off the towel that covers his customer’s face, who was actually Jisun.

 

 

“I have an instruction to give.” Jisun said to her teammates. They all looked at her as if they’re worried about something.

 

“What is it? Tell us, Pres.” Jiwon said.

 

Jisun stood up and said, “Don’t meet anyone.”

“Eh? Pardon?”

 

Chaeyoung scoffed. “Is this a series? It’s the sequel to ‘We won’t say anything.’ ‘Do not meet anyone.’”

 

Jisun eyed Jiwon suspiciously as soon as Jiwon received a call from someone and left her seat. She followed her without Jiwon knowing.

 

“Who was that?”

 

Jiwon’s heart almost jumped.

 

“My goodness! The person I met yesterday!”

“Who are you meeting all the time?”

“There will be a proposal for the food catering for the 30th anniversary of this school.”

“Vice President Song made you do things like that?”

“It wasn’t anything weird~ The executive loves sports. I noticed last time that you play sports, too. Why don’t you two play together?”

“Instead of chasing people around, do your work at your place.”

“But… I don’t know where my place is… I don’t even know what I should be doing. You never gave us any instruction. You’ll come with me to meet with the executive tomorrow, right?”

“No. You shouldn’t go either.”

“Don’t be like that~ It’s for the team and—”

“Never. I don’t want to go.” as Jisun walked away.

 

“If she hates it so much…” Jiwon smirked as she dialled the executive’s number. “About the meeting tomorrow, what do you think about going early in the morning at the sport center?”

 

 

Jisun was heading at the sport center when she noticed that someone else was already at the baseball field. She turned her back and was about to leave when he heard Jiwon’s voice.

 

“Pres, you’re here, too! The executive is a member here as well.”

 

The executive noticed the two of them so, Jiwon proceeded in introducing Jisun to the executive. Jisun was about to leave again when Jiwon dragged her in front of the executive and asked her to greet the other.

 

“Ms. Song Hayoung told me about you. I heard that you’re pretty good in playing baseball.”

“N-No. Not really. I-I’m not good.”

“She’s seriously good!” as Jiwon interrupted. “She’s a pro!”

“Really? Let’s play a game!”

“I-I’m sorry. I like to play alone.”

“Gosh, why? There’s no fun playing alone. She’s saying you’re good. Teach me~”

“When someone’s looking at me, I-I make mistakes.”

“Mistakes? That’s totally fine! Mistakes are what make us human. All right! Come on! Let’s play a game, okay?”

 

Jisun glared at Jiwon and whispered to her, “I clearly said that I don’t want to do this.”

 

But, Jiwon ignored what Jisun have said. The executive was prepared to throw the ball at Jisun and all she had to do was hit the ball with the bat. But, after the executive throw the ball, Jisun didn’t budge.

 

“What are you doing right now? Do you think I’m a joke? You don’t even want to deal with me? I see that you’re good at making a fool out of people. I just want to play a game of baseball with you!”

 

Jiwon decided to interfere. “Sorry. Pres must’ve misunderstood something.”

“Do you have a hidden agenda?”

“No, none at all!”

“Then you hold this bat and tell this Pres of yours to leave!”

“Me?”

“Park Jiwon, let’s go.” Jisun told Jiwon.

“I’ve always wanted to learn how to play baseball! Will you teach me?” Jiwon said to the executive.

 

The executive grinned as she gave the bat to Jiwon.

 

“Like this?”

“Yes.” as the executive grabbed Jiwon’s hands to guide her.

 

Jisun looked at the executive suspiciously. She noticed how the executive tried to lean his body against Jiwon’s.

 

“All right, Let’s play a game.”

“What? You’re still here?”

“Jiwon, come here. I’ll do it.”

 

The executive ignored Jisun.

 

“You’re so stiff. Relax your shoulders, okay?” as the executive massaged Jiwon’s shoulders. “My gosh, why is your upper body so mushy?”

 

Jisun could see how the executive squeezed Jiwon’s shoulder in a way that it could count as ual abuse. She’s getting fired up as she gripped on the bat tightly. Jisun tossed the ball and hit it with the bat and it accurately hit the executive on the forehead.

“I told you. I make mistakes when someone is looking at me.” as Jisun immediately left.

“P-Pres!”

 

 

“I don’t want to.”

“Hey, how can you say that when I did all the work to sort it out?” Hayoung said to Jisun after she settled things with the executive.

“I don’t want to cooperate with someone like that.”

“I’m sorry to tell you this, but you’re not in the position to be picky at the moment.”

“He’s obviously expecting something else. He won’t evaluate our presentation fairly.”

“Let’s just give it a try. For our students’ sake. No, for my sake.”

“There you go again. ‘For my sake’. You make it sound like you’re sacrificing yourself.”

 

“She’s unwittingly expressing herdesire for attention. I’m not saying that enjoying attention is bad. It’s just that I’m not like her. I’ve been wholeheartedly thankful that she always volunteer to be in the spotlight on my behalf. But…the problem is that she overly attracts attention…” Jisun thought to herself as she recalled the time when Jiwon thinks highly of Hayoung. “To the point that it is dangerous…”

 

“Hey, what are you trying to say? Do you think I’m doing these things because I want attention?”

“You’re too greedy.”

“That’s hurtful and discouraging. I’m putting off what I have to do…to do my best help Silent Monster.”

“I respect the way you do things, but I’m the one who’s in charge of Silent Monster. Take your hands off of this organization.”

“Hey. Then, what about your teammates?”

“I’ll protect my own teammates.”

“How are you going to do that? By blowing our chance to participate in presenting the proposal? By wasting their time…when they should be learning and building up experience? Listen up. If you don’t do this, no one will ever know about Silent Monster. I know how competent you are, but no one else does. I’ll do anything it takes to get the ball rolling, so just do it your way…and show people what you can do. Does that sound good enough? Do you actually want to protect your team? Or are you just trying to protect your pride? Tsk.”

 

Hayoung’s words keep hauting her so Jisun decided to make a presentation for the proposal. She worked about two days and two nights without getting any sleep and only had about 4 cups of ramyeon and a cup of coffee. The next day, as soon as the members of Silent Monster arrived, she told them that they have to prepare for the presentation and she chose Saerom to do the presentation.

 

“Pres, I’m not ready at all. I don’t have any materials.”

“Check your email.”

“I haven’t presented in a while. I wasn’t able to go to school for two semesters and took a long time off.  I haven’t presented once since—”

“Still, you’ve done it before.”

“Couldn’t you present just this once? You prepared everything, so you must know best about what to focus on.”

 

Jisun just glanced at Saerom and continue working on something.

 

 

“She’s abusing her power! She didn’t say a thing until now and now she wants you to do the presentation?” Jiwon protested.

“I better do as I’m told.”

“Vice Pres said that Silent Monster won’t have rigid hierarchy! She hardly communicates with us. She’s a tyrant just doing whatever she wants!”

“We should do as she says.” said Nakyung.

“She’s right. I’ll try to do this myself.”

“Tell me if you need anything. I’ll help if I can.” Jiwon told Saerom.

 

[THREE YEARS AGO]

A representative of the school went to Seoyeon’s funeral and handed some cash to the family.

 

“This is not even close to the gravity of your loss, but—”

“I knew it. Are you trying to fob us off with that money?” as Jiwon walked towards the representative. “So something really did happen at her school, didn’t it?”

 

The representative ignored her and continued.

 

“The school also looked into it, but we did not find—”

“That’s why it’s more suspicious. Someone died, but there is no reason. There is no explanation. She killed herself at school. After that, all they say is that she had depression. How does this make sense?!”

“Keep it down.” Jiwon’s dad told her as he handed back the money to the representative. “Take it back and leave.”

“We can’t just let him go. No one from her school came, and they won’t meet with us. Someone finally came to us. Why would you send him back? What are you doing, Dad? Are you just going to sit there?”

“Social life is hard for everyone.”

“What did you say?”

“Everyone struggles, but they continue to power through. She should’ve done the same.”

“Dad… If you won’t do it, I will.” Jiwon was about to leave when her dad grabbed her by the wrist.

“Stop making a scene and sit down.”

“I can’t do that!” as she pulled her hand back while tearing up. “My heart is about to burst.”

 

 

“Mom, eonni’s here~”

“What? She’s here? What’s gotten into her?”

 

Haneul nodded as Hayoung walked in.

 

“Mother, I’m here~”

“Omo, it’s you, Hayoungie~ I thought Haneul was referring to Jisunnie~ Shouldn’t Haneul change the way she calls you?”

“We didn’t even get married yet~” as Haneul clings on Hayoung’s arm.

“Although you haven’t had a wedding yet, you’re living together~”

“I’ll call you mother after I get married to Haneul~”

 

Jisun’s mom chuckled.

 

“You’ve been whining all day. Now, you’re smiling~ as Haneul mom.

“That’s because Hayoungie is here~”

“Mother, aren’t you tired? Let me give you a massage.”

 

Little did they know that Jisun was just standing from afar, watching them. She hesitated to go over to her mom because Hayoung was already there, besides, her mom looked so happy with Hayoung around.

 

 

“We’re in trouble!” as Nakyung ran towards Jisun, Jiwon and Chaeyoung. “Saerom-eonni just called, and she’s still home. She woke up late.”

“Ah, let me call her!” Jiwon volunteered.

 

Jiwon called Saerom but things were a bit complicated. Saerom’s younger brothers were sick and her father will be home around 12nn so, no one will take care of her brothers. Jisun was about to leave, knowing that they won’t be able to present, but Jiwon and Chaeyoung asked her to do the presentation instead. Jisun tried to make excuses but they won’t let her off and they lead her to the stage to present.

 

“Now, Silent Monster will give a presentation. Please start the presentation.” –MC

Jisun stood in front, holding the microphone that Jiwon handed her, and Chaeyoung flashed the presentation. Jisun just nervously looked at the audience.

 

“Excuse me, please start.” as the MC reminded her.

 

Jisun feels like she’s running out of breath.

 

“Excuse me, what are you waiting for?”

“W-Well…”

 

Jisun held up the microphone close to her lips but her hands were trembling and her voice was shaking. She tried to gulp down her nervousness and closed her eyes for a moment.

 

“I’m… I-I’m… S-Silent M-M…”

 

Jiwon looked at Jisun, wondering what’s wrong with her.

 

“We don’t have much time. Please get started.” as the MC reminded again.

 

Jisun loosened her shoulders and exhales a bit. Her eyes almost looked bloodshot and teary.

 

“W-Well, I-I’m… I’m…”

 

She looked at the audience and could hear them muttering. Jisun can’t help but remember how her father scolded her when she was young just because she doesn’t speak much.

 

“S-Sil..Sil-lent…”

“Excuse me, the judges’ time is precious. Please get started.”

 

Jisun closed her eyes and tried to start speaking but she keeps on stammering that she wasn’t even able to make up a complete sentence.

 

“Everyone fears being stared at to some extent. My father wanted me to become a leader. He did not allow me to have even a tiny bit of fear. He even went as far as bribing my teacher so that I could be at the center of attention.” Jisun thought to herself.

 

Jisun breathes out nervously and was almost tearing up. The audience were protesting that she should speak up and they were like judging her, saying that she didn’t seem to come prepared. The MC told her to relax a bit and start the presentation. But then, Jisun just let go of the microphone, dropping it on the floor. Chaeyoung, Nakyung and Jiwon were surprised.

 

“I’m sure I atleast…” Jisun said in her mind as she glanced at Jiwon. “…satisfied one person.”

 

Jisun immediately left the scene, leaving the audience in confusion.

 

“Did my revenge succeed? But why is it not gratifying at all?” Jiwon thought to herself. “This is not what I wanted.”

 

Jisun locked herself in the penthouse. Hayoung keeps knocking and asking her to open the door but she didn’t. Jisun was feeling so down, realizing that maybe Hayoung was right, she can’t protect her team. On the other hand, Jiwon and the others decided to have a drink.

 

“I’m sorry everyone. It’s my fault for not doing the presentation.” Saerom said.

“It’s not your fault, eonni. I thought that Pres should do the presentation herself instead of dumping it on one of us.” Jiwon said.

“But, she even wrote a detailed script for me. I just had to memorize it and do the presentation. It also had a surprisingly heart-warming theme.”

 

Jisun ignored Hayoung’s calls because she felt like Hayoung was right. Just then, she received call from Jiwon.

 

“Hello?”

“Are you…the boss? I have your teammates here. Get the cash ready.”

 

 

 

(A/N: I'm not really sure if the story's flow is consistent. I've been busy in school *sighs*)