H U S H

1983
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It had been a week since Jimin had seen the writer come into the bookstore. Every shift he would look up at the sound of the chime hoping it would be him only to be led to disappointment.  
Himchan had finally come back home that week with numerous gifts from Thailand. As if gifts would make up for all the loneliness the young man had undergone. "I'm home now, so you can quit that job now" he had said, one Sunday afternoon at lunch. Jimin only looked at the man in disbelief. "You said you only started to work because you were alone. Well, I'm home now. You no longer have to work at wherever it is you work." The waitress came over to their table and set the gungjung manchan in the center of their table. A gungjung manchan was a royal banquet and Himchan must always eat like a king. 
     "Is there anything else I can get you, sir?" the waitress asked.
     "Some kimchi-jjigae would be nice" Jimin muttered under his breath.
     "I'm sorry, sir?"
     "Pay him no mind. Everything is fine, thank you."
     "Enjoy your meal."
     Once the waitress walked away, Himchan flashed his dark eyes on his lover. "What's with you?" he demanded in a hushed voice. "You take us to these places where all they have is fancy food served in such tiny portions. For once I would like to eat food that fills me up." Himchan glared at him. "We are not in your hick of a town, Jimin," the words stung. "When I got you out of Busan, I thought you would leave all your old ways there and learn new things. All it seems that you do is complain now. Why don't they have this? Why don't they have that? That's all I hear from you. All I do want to hear, that you never say, is thank you. 'Thank you for saving me, honey' but I get nothing." Hearing him say this pissed Jimin off. "How dare you" was all he could manage to say in his state. 

before...

"Snap out of it" was all Jimin heard before he actually did snap out of it as his father wanted. He began to set the baskets of fruits on their vendor table. "Damn, the sun is really out this afternoon" his father grunted as he wiped the sweat off his forehead. The heat brought out all the people to the town market square. "I brought extra water for us," the boy told the older

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter