F I S H T A N K

1983
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Memory is a funny thing. When he was living through those moments he had hardly paid any attention. He never stopped to think of his surroundings being something that'll leave such a strong impact, just like he didn't imagine that after 12 years he would remember everything in great detail. At the time, the only thought on his mind was himself. He thought about the beautiful man walking next to him. He thought about the two of them being together, and then himself again. He thought about how he felt when they were together. Jimin was at that exact age, that exact year, that exact part of his life when every sight, every feeling, every thought came back like a boomerang. To make matters worse, he was in love. In love with dancing, the night, with literature, with poetry, with his smile, his eyes, the way he said his name, the way his lips felt against his. His surroundings were the last thing on his mind.

Year, 1983

The alarm went off at 5:35 in the morning causing 21-year-old Park Jimin to wake up. He slowly reached over to the bedside table, where the wooden rectangle alarm clock was and pressed the snooze button. He sat up with a sigh and looked over to the opposite side of him to find it empty. His boyfriend had already left to catch his flight. He had left without saying goodbye. 
     Most mornings the young man would wake up alone in his bed. Before it bothered him but after it occurred time after time, he grew accustomed to being alone. He kept himself busy with school and eventually got a job at a local bookstore after school, though he was financially supported and money wasn't needed, he needed something to do on his free time. 
     
The first class of the day was at 7:15, literature followed by mathematics. He would hate for it to be the other way around. Luckily he lived by the bus that went to his college and it was only a half an hour ride. By 6:15 he had finished getting dressed, poured coffee into his thermostat, grabbed his bag with his school books and headed to the bus stop. The 10-minute wait went better than it had been a couple weeks ago back in March being that The Asian dust phenomenon was over. Not to mention you now had the flowers in the process of blooming to add to the scenery. 
     By the middle of mathematics class, he was ready for another cup of coffee. He covered his yawn then stretched his arms up in the air in hopes of waking up a little. It was amazing how boring math could be. Jimin checked his wristwatch, 11:25. Only ten minutes left, he told himself. There was a 20-minute break in between before he went to his art class when he was finished with classes for the rest of the day until Thursday. 

How lonesome his nights were when he had the evening off from work. The young man would change through channels on his tv but eventually, shut it off. He walked over to the nano coral reef aquarium filled with clownfish. He watched how one fish swam to one end of the tank to the other, it continued doing this over and over. It was like this never-ending cycle. "I know how you feel buddy," the lonely man said to it later feeding them. He spent almost every day doing the same routine, not really doing anything to break the cycle. It was from school to either work or home. That was all he did. His life was his tank and he was going to continue swimming from one end to the other. When will things change?
     The call came in the evening, Jimin laid on the reddish suede couch in the living room reading the chapters he was assigned for homework. He glanced at the phone from where it was placed up on the wall in the kitchen. Who was calling him at, he checked his watch, 6:23 PM? It could be Himchan, he did say he was going to call. He closed his textbook and ran to answer it.
     "Yeoboseyo?" he answered excitedly. 
     "Park? It's Kim Taehyung, from work."
     "Hey," he tried to hide his disappointment, yet, he knew Himchan wouldn't call. He rarely did. 
     "Listen, between you and me, I don't want to close tonight. My friend is throwing this party at his place and I want to go. Think

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter