Cold/Warm

❄ #ChansooWeek Winter Edition ❄

Kyungsoo works as host of a cooking show that airs online. After Christmas, he has some promotional stuff during the week, a couple appearances and a photoshoot for the New Year’s episode that is being released on Friday. Everything is taken care of within the studio.

The studio is enclosed. Indoors. Heated. Reasonably comfortable.

His boyfriend doesn’t understand. Chanyeol’s idea of a good time is being outdoors, running around without end or goal. He proposes a long weekend retreat at a ski resort and expects Kyungsoo to actually ski.

“Babe… You know it is literally freezing outside, right?”

Chanyeol nods. “Yeah?” His eyes are bright with excitement. He emailed brochures to Kyungsoo. There’s a large lodge and various slopes available down the mountain to ski or snowboard for beginners, novices, and experts. Aside from snow sports, there isn’t much to draw a crowd, although there is a sheep farm and Korean beef village nearby to explore.

It does look pretty, but it also looks cold. Kyungsoo’s natural enemy. Their friends all joke that Jongin’s like a bear, but Kyungsoo is the one who wants to hibernate during winter.

But Chanyeol actually doesn’t ask for much and usually goes with whatever Kyungsoo wants or plans, so it’s as good a time as any to go along with this winter vacation. Kyungsoo actually gets swept along in Chanyeol’s excitement and planning. They go shopping for clothes and equipment that they probably don’t need, arrange for their dogs to stay with their parents, and use their accumulated vacation days together.

Within three weeks of broaching the subject of the lodge, Chanyeol and Kyungsoo are in Chanyeol’s Jeep for the three-hour drive out of Seoul. Kyungsoo feels like a sardine in a can; his puffy jacket keeps him nice and warm, but it’s bulky and confining in a car.

A Naver search brought up seven popular ski resorts in the country. Chanyeol chose the He wishes they were heading to the just-as-nice resort south of them in the relatively warmer North Jeolla Province.

“I think you’re really going to enjoy yourself, Soo,” Chanyeol remarks once again. If he says it enough, maybe it’ll come true.

“I can’t feel my .”

“That’s because you’ve been sitting so long. Nothing to do with temperature. Besides,” he shoots a smile at his boyfriend, taking his attention off the road for a moment, “this has heated seats.”

At the resort, Kyungsoo hauls his suitcase inside and leaves Chanyeol to deal with his overpacked luggage including more pairs of boots than day they’re staying, three snowboards, and two sets of skis. Kyungsoo is fine with renting equipment. He just wants to get to their room and take a hot shower.

No such luck, though. Chanyeol’s coordinated when determined, and he manages to fanagle all his junk to their room and rope Kyungsoo into hitting the slopes right away.

“I’ll come along for moral support,” he says, pulling on his heavy snow boots.

“You’ll be colder riding the lift both ways,” Chanyeol replies. He’s almost dancing in place, already suited up with goggles hanging around his neck and a snowboard under his arm. “Just ride down with me.”

It’s a good point. The lift on the highest slope is nearly a twenty-minute ride, Kyungsoo recalls. That’s a long, cold wait.

“Fine. I’ll meet you there.” He’ll surprise Chanyeol by renting a board rather than skis. Contrary to popular opinion, Kyungsoo is actually reasonably athletic and has an excellent sense of balance.

He also doesn’t want to carry more than necessary.

Chanyeol swings his legs back and forth on the ride up the mountain, being a pest and nudging Kyungsoo until he joins in Chanyeol’s impromptu jam session.

Below them, people zig-zag over the snow, following the natural terrain and intersecting with other courses frequently.

At the summit, Chanyeol pulls Kyungsoo into a photo to share with their friends and family. Over one thousand meters up, the air is noticeably cooler and thinner. Their breath puffs in tiny white clouds.

“Which course do you wanna take?” Chanyeol asks, stomping his feet back into the clamps of his board after some adjusting. He pulls his goggles over his eyes and holds still for Kyungsoo to zip his coat higher.

Kyungsoo holds the fur of his hood back a little and looks over the white landscape. If it was a clearer day, there’s probably a really pretty view. The sky is a solid light gray, blurring the horizon and making the snow appear endless.

“I dunno, yet,” he replies after reading the posted signs. “But I’ll meet you at the bottom!” He shoves Chanyeol into a snow pile and pivots over one foot, taking off alone. His boyfriend shouts behind him, but in this competition, wherein the winner gets not only bragging rights but also first dibs on the shower, there are no rules.



a/n: It's actually a very mild winter here, so writing snow is weird. I drove home with my windows open, because I felt too hot, and it wasn't even 50F/10C out. My dogs were still shivering and whining to go back in when I'd let them out for potty breaks, though.