Chapter 1/1

Happy New Year's

    Seokmin pulled down his sweater before the cold air could touch his body.  He had on a shirt that was already trying to warm him up.  He caughed a bit when he inhaled the cool air of the winter day.  He closed his eyes to the sound of the burning wood in the fireplace.  Surprisingly, the apartment buildings were zoned to have fireplaces in only one of the apartments.  He smiled when the heat finally traveled to his room.  He sat down and took out his phone that was in the nightstand charging.  He unlocked the phone to see a picture of his late dog - she was so white and fluffy.

Winter always reminded him of her, as he found her in the dead of the season alone in a small box.  Sometimes he can still hear her little barks while waiting at the door for him to come in. 

His mind snapped into reality when he heard the front door opened.  He looked back at the screen to see the bars were all the way up, telling him his phone was completely charged.  He locked his phone and put it in his side pocket while standing up.  He closed the drawer and stretched while walking out of the room.  He was met by his room mate, Seungkwan.


"Hey!  How did your day go?"  Seokmin asked, taking some of the grocieries the other brought out of the bags and putting the items in their respective places. 

"Pretty good, folks down at the market said that they'll be closed now for New Year's Eve and Day."  Seungkwan said, taking the cups of coffee out of the crate and handing one to Seokmin.

Seokmin took it with a smile and lightly sipped it.  "It's so cold, these past days are."  Seokmin commented when they sat on the couch together.


"True.. I got some more wood for the fire, just in case you need it while I'm gone."  Seungkwan replied, stirring his warm beverage.

"Gone?"  Seokmin asked in confusion.


"Mh, I didn't tell you, did I?"  Seungkwan looked up from his mixing liquid.  "My parents want me to spend the nights with them." 


Seokmin nodded.  "So you'll be leaving in a minute then, I guess?"  He asked in a disappointed tone.


The other simply nodded before getting up.  Seokmin watched as he went to his bedroom to pack up for the nights.  He sighed and looked at the blank screen of the turned off TV.  He put both hands on his cup of coffee while the straw that was inside of it.  Why didn't his family contact him this year?  They normally do.  I hope they're okay.  It's so unlike my mom to not even post anything on social media about the New Year's Gala.  He thumbed the rim of the coffee cup while his mind was still in a daze.  He didn't even notice Seungkwan was talking to him.


"Seokmin."

Seokmin looked up and was met by Seungkwan's face close to his.  "Are you even listening to me?"

"Yeah,.. no.  Sorry."  Seokmin couldn't lie.



The other nodded.  "Okay.. well, I'm leaving now.  Call if anything bad happens, alright?"


"You too."  Seokmin said while standing up, walking the other out.


He watched Seungkwan drive away.  Once he wasn't in seeing distance, he closed the door behind him.  I have all day and all night to do whatever - plus tomorrow night.  What to do though?  Seokmin was at a loss for what to do.  He sighed before turning on the TV, settling on just watching music shows.




It was currently 10pm, just two more hours until the new year.  Seokmin didn't want to stay cooped up in the apartment all night, so he decided to freeze his off while getting a cup of coffee.  He ordered a chocolate coffee, and sat down a little bit farther away from everyone else who was waiting for the countdown.  He wasn't a negative person when it came to New Year's - he was a negative person when it comes to being alone on holidays.  He likes spending time with people - he's a social being.  He loses his spark - his energy - when he's alone.


It's like the sun and moon - the moon can't reflect the sun's light if it doesn't get shined on.  He can't express joy unless someone else was there to share it with him.  And being cold isn't helping either.  The weather channel says 58ºF, but he knows better.  To him, it feels like almost below the freezing point.  The coffee helps, but he can't have caffeine in his system 24/7. 


He watched as everyone was enjoying themselves a mile away.  Fireworks were being tested, parades were softly sounding in the background, and someone thought it to be a good idea that they impersonate the New York Ball Drop.  He usually is in this park, watching the festivities with Seungkwan and his friend Hansol.  But they both had last minute plans.  Which he can't be too upset.  When family wants to visit, he respects that.


He closed his eyes as a strong, cold breeze swept across his face.  While having his eyes closed, he felt weight on the other side of the short bench.  Still not wanting to get dust in his eyes, he keeps his eyes closed.  He knows there must be someone beside him though.


Once the breeze ended, he opened his eyes to see that the steam emiting from his coffee has disapated a good deal.  He sighed before he remembered about the other person.  He slowly looked to his right to see someone in a thick jacket and scarf.  He had black hair and pink cheeks.  He looked down at his untouched coffee. 


"Here, I haven't had any of it."  Seokmin offered his beverage to the other.


The other person slowly looked at the coffee after taking his gloved hand out of the jacket.  He took the cup in his hand and closed his eyes at the nice warmth radiating from it.  He pulled down his scarf to sip from it.  After letting the warm beverage reach all around his body, he gave a bright smile.  He kind of reminded Seokmin of a hamster.


"You must be really cold."  Seokmin commented.

"It's not easy this time of year.."  The other responded a minute or so later.



"What are you doing out here?  It's much warmer in the crowd."  Seokmin said, pointing at the ever-growing crowd of people.

"Same could be asked to you, hm?"  The other said with a smile.


Seokmin smirked and looked up at the moon that was close to being in the middle of the sky. 

"I'd like to join, but my family and friends aren't here to join me this time.."  Seokmin said after a few more minutes of silence.


"What a coincidence, my friends aren't here either.."  The other said in a depressing laugh.


Seokmin thought about it long enough.  Why complain over nobody spending time with him?  This person sat on his bench out of nowhere while there are at least ten other vacant benches in the park. 


"What's your name?"  Seokmin asked.


"Soonyoung, you?"  The other turned to Seokmin.


"Seokmin."  He repsonded with a small smile.


Soonyoung smiled and nodded.  "Seokmin, thank you for the coffee."  He said showing how it's already empty.


Seokmin laughed a bit.  "I tell you, kids these days.."  He said in a slightly old tone.

"Always taking things for granted."  Soonyoung continued the elderly dialogue.



The two look at each other with bright smiles.  And it was like that for the next hour and a half.  They were the only two on a bench that were a mile away from all of the festivities.  They were laughing, singing, and even dancing in the cold of the night.  They found too much in common.  But their attention was brought back to the festivities when they heard everyone counting down from thirty.


They counted down along with the crowd, jumping up in the air when the make-shift ball drop sounded.  They clapped and danced around when they heard the traditional music play.  Although they couldn't see the performances, it seemed like they had it memorized down to the finger movements.




It was then one in the morning.  Soonyoung decided to go to Seokmin's apartment for furthering their conversation at the park.  They stepped foot in the lonely apartment, already smelling the wood dying out.  Soonyoung left Seokmin to tend to the fire while the other filled two glasses with water.


Drinking coffee for two hours wasn't too good on them, so he decided water should be best.  He sat down beside Soonyoung who was sitting three feet away from the fireplace.


"Your place is cozy."  Soonyoung said, sitting close to Seokmin.


Seokmin smiled and took out his phone.  He unlocked it to see if he had any messages (he had his phone on silent while he was out).


"Oh?  What a cute dog!"  Soonyoung noticed the wall paper.

"Thanks.. She was so great to me.."  Seokmin said, opening the camera app, scrolling through the thousands of pictures he took.


"How old was she?"  Soonyoung asked, sitting closer to get a better view.

"Seven.  I found her and helped her for seven years.." 


Soonyoung notice a tear forming in the other's eye in the midst of the darkness (the room only being lit up by the fireplace and Seokmin's phone).  He brought his hand to Seokmin's cheek and wipped the tear away.  He gave his hamster smile before giving a hug.  He hummed a quiet tune before feeling the other hug back.


After that, they just sat there in silence, watching the fire burn the logs.  Soonyoung placed his head softly on Seokmin's shoulder, bringing himself closer when the other put his arm around his waist. 


"I'm glad I could spend the New Year's with you, Seokmin."  Soonyoung said in a soft tone.



When he didn't get a response, he slightly took his head off of Seokmin's shoulder, and looked at him.  He was met with Seokmin's smile.  He gave a smile too before he was taken back.  Seokmin had put his lips on Soonyoung's.  He widened his eyes, not knowing what to do.  But he felt warm in Seokmin's hold.  He eased into the kiss, and even kissed back.




It was currently January the 2nd.  Seungkwan opened the apartment door.  He smelled pancakes and eggs.  He doesn't really know Seokmin to do too much cooking, but he figures that the other got creative during the holiday. 

He wandered into the kitchen, and saw a foreign figure turning the circular flour on the griddle.  He heard a soft humming coming from the unknown person.  He was about to say something, but the person turned a bit.


"Oh?  You must be Seungkwan!"  Soonyoung said with a smile.  "I'm Soonyoung." 


"Wh-who?" 


"Ohh... I thought Seokmin would have texted you."  Soonyoung turned back to the stove.


Seungkwan heard Seokmin's bedroom door open.  He turned around and saw Seokmin with a smile.


"Kwannie, this is my boyfriend.  I met him on New Year's." 



Seungkwan raised an eyebrown before nodding.  "Arlighty then.."  He scratched his head.



Seokmin hugged the other who is cooking.  He whispered two words,


"Thank you."



 


Thank you all, I hope you had a wonderful year.  I'm ready to say thank you to 2018 and welcome 2019.
Please do stay healthy in this new year.  Just remember that there's something or someone special that's going to come your way.  And once you find it, it'll make you warm like coffee. ^^



祝大家新年快乐!