Crashing

Summer Breeze (여름 바람)
4
CRASHING
 
 
 

"I'm sorry miss, all rooms are fully booked for tonight," the receptionist bows.

It has been more than one hour since they have arrived in Daecheon and parted ways with Chanyeol. He did name a few hotels he knew around town and apologized that he could not be any more of a help because he was rushing to go somewhere else. The girls have been going around the area to find a place to stay ever since but unfortunately all of them were either fully booked or not enough to abode the whole group. This creepy motel hidden in between layers of old streets was their last bud of hope but it seems like luck is still not on their sides today.

The tired lasses find their seats on Highboy and Sehee starts to drive the truck without destination. After 30 minutes of what feels like hours of endless drive, they have decided to get their minds off the problems for awhile with some beers and good sceneries. They stop at a convenience store nearby to buy some drinks and snacks before Sehee continues to drive them to the nearest beach spot.

The night is beautiful. One can witness numerous little stars scintillating the massive black net.  The wind blows their hair softly, caressing their worn out faces. Too bad the girls are too exhausted to enjoy the grand creation. They sat on the velvety sand of Daecheon island in circle, opening their first cans of beer along with continuous sighs.

"Let's just get drunk and forget about today," Sehee speaks as she raises one hand up to the sky, holding the beer. The girls follow up one by one with a cheer, clanking their cans onto each others' in the midair before engulfing the malty beer, silently hoping that it will wash their frustrations away.

"Since we might stay here for the night, let's spice it up with a game," Addie voices out.

Always being the one who is excited over everything, Areum claps and agrees instantly. The other girls follow with half-hearted nods.

At least, they are doing something. Right?

"The first game is telling one of your secrets," Addie, who has her long black hair in ponytail, suggests. "I'll start first," she finishes her last drop of beer.

"I used to have anxiety."

Everyone blinks at Addie in disbelieve. Adelaide Kim is known to be the confident queen of the squad and the one who  would gladly flaunt her physical beauty without caring about other people's judgments. It is out of the world to imagine her having anxiety even if it was in the past.

Addie chuckles at her best friends' reactions, "I got rid of it and was reborn a queen."

The game continues with Haera telling the girls about her busybody grandmother who constantly tried to marry her off to any rich guys whom she saw fit. After that, Ahn confesses that she is not as close as everyone thinks she is with her mom despites all of the new designer clothes sent to her every month. She tells them how her mother heartlessly replaced her father short after his death as if all the years they have been together were nothing and that all those clothes were her mother's effort to reconcile with her.

"My father cheated," Haein says while patting on Ahn's back softly. "Right before my mom loses her life over cancer."

There is a few seconds of silence as the two nod at each other, understanding their shared pains.

"Well, good news is, men ain't ," Sehee sips on her beer. "Why do you think I play with their hearts?"

It is not a breaking news that Sehee dates a lot of guys - every Summer, and easily ditch them off when the season ends. Areum had always wonder how did Sehee pull this act and pretend as if it is - nothing. She stares at Sehee, who is wearing a yellow bandana over her head, covering her messy light brown hair, smiling as if relationships are made for her to have fun with. It is not long until Areum notices how that same smile fades when Haein pops up a question she has been silently asking inside her head.

"Do you ever miss the guys you've dated?"

"No."

"Not even one guy?"

At that moment, Sehee feels as if the world is hushed and the only thing she can hear is the gushes of the wind and the ocean splashing the shore and Sehun's manly voice calling out her name. Her heartbeat seems to play a different music, a little off beat, like the day she encountered him at the convenience store. For a second, she wonders what is he doing right now. A second later, she curses herself for even thinking about it.

"Not even one."

Areum notices how Sehee's eyes flicker before answering that question. Areum knows Sehee is hiding something but isn't sure what is. She has always been good at observing people. Areum can read people like a book when she wants to, which most of the time she won't because she feels as if she is intruding their privacy but in certain times like this, it is good to know that something is wrong. Because she has a sister to protect and she will.

"I've never dated anyone before," Areum tries to change the subject in which to her shock, making everybody laugh, well, except the lazy Haera. Haera doesn't laugh, she giggles. Sehee laughs the loudest and throws an arm around Areum's shoulder, hugging her too close.

"That's not a secret. Everybody knows that!"

If it is not because of the coldness of the night breeze, she swears her cheeks would turn from pale to bright red by now. But at least, the stressful air is out. She smiles, rather shyly, looking at how the girls are finally smiling and enjoying themselves. Somehow, Areum is glad that they forgot to ask what her real secret is.

"What are you girls doing here?" asks a voice. One that is too familiar to Ahn's ear. She takes her last sip of beer with eyes close, baring the 'hurricane' that she predicts will come.

Addie and Sehee gasps almost simultaneously and decides to humiliate her with obvious nudges. Ahn gives them the scariest glare especially to Addie because she thinks she is whispering Chanyeol's name but they come out like a cheerleader's chants.

Ahn sighs in defeat before turning her head to the figure standing behind her. She has to look up to finally meet his round, curious eyes. He is still wearing the same outfit she saw him in this morning. A grey top fitted to his muscular body and  a pair of loose jeans. Is that her heart drumming?

"Well, all the hotels are full," Ahn shrugs, trying her best to give him a disinterested look.

She notices a subtle change in Chanyeol's gaze towards her. Ahn knows she should not act differently in such short amount of time especially when all he ever did was helping her and the girls from the start. But once bitten, twice shied. It's better that she creates a shield before the same damn thing happens again. Right?

"And what are you doing here?" Addies asks the man while poking on Ahn's shoulder with a huge cheeky grin, only to receive a pinch from the latter.

Chanyeol who has his right hand in his side pocket while another one fiddling his truck key, chuckles, "I went out to get some beers and thought I saw your truck," he points towards the location of Highboy while looking at it.

Ahn can't believe how her cheeks starts to warm up by the side view of his sharp jaw line and the way the summer breeze brushes his curly hair. She can only pray that no one notices the rosy changes. Ahn didn't know how long was she staring at him but the next thing she knows is Chanyeol locking her gaze and she blinks away instantly, scrambling to find her phone. By now, she swears her cheeks had already reddened completely. Did he catch her staring?

"Decided to check. I thought you were tired after the long hours under the sun," he continues.

Haera sighs with shoulders slump, "We are."

Chanyeol nods, looking at Ahn who is playing with her phone. She can feel his eyes fixing on her for what she feels like hours until his manly voice speaks again, "Wait a minute."

This time, Ahn looks up and notices Chanyeol turning his back to make a quick phone call. She is unconsciously staring at his back again before Sehee brings her back to her senses with a knock on the head.

"What was that?" Sehee asks, both of her hands on her small hips like an angry sister.

"What was what?" Ahn blinks in confusion.

She sees Sehee rolling her eyes with an annoying grunt, "What is with that attitude. You two clicked just fine this evening."

Addie steps forward and speaks in a low tone, "Summer boyfriend. Remember? He is a hottie. Snatch him."

Ahn isn't sure why Addie is whispering but soon realizes why because she hears Chanyeol coughing to catch their attentions.

"Good news. The other boys aren't coming until tomorrow morning or maybe noon so you can crash at our beach house for tonight, if you don't mind," his voice is gentle. Maybe Addie is right. He is a hottie. A gentle one at that.

Smile forms on all of the girls' lips as they nod at Haein hopefully. The eldest one chuckles and turns towards their savior of the day,

"Thank you so much, Chanyeol."

 
 

The next morning is warm and cozy. Haien wakes up first, as always. No matter how sore her body feels after all the hassles they have been through yesterday, she can't find herself falling back to sleep. Haein stretches herself as she looks around the room. It is spacious enough to fit all six of them but being a good host, Chanyeol insisted to give them two separate huge rooms. The lazy Haera is still sleeping soundly beside Areum. Ahn, Addie and Sehee sleeps on the room right next door.

After a good long shower, Haein decides to go downstairs and prepares the girls as well as Chanyeol and his friends some decent meals. It is the least she can do after all the troubles they have put him through. She can only imagine what would happen if Chanyeol didn't come to the rescue, twice.

Haein wears a flowy brown knee-length chiffon dress with thin straps hanging over her shoulders. She has a jean jacket to put it on when she is outside. Haein is never the one who loves wearing revealing outfit like Addie. She will always choose to don an outfit that covers most parts of her body.

It takes her quite some times to gather all the limited ingredients from the kitchen. She settles to prepare for Kimchi friend rice, tofu soup and rolled omelets. Her hands moves fluidly. Haien has always been a great cook. It is her hobby. Just like how Areum finds solace in skating, or Haera finds hers in gaming, Haein finds it very peaceful when cooking. It is as if for once, she can control the outcome.

Since there are no oven mitts around, Haein has to carry the hot pot of tofu soup to the dining table as fast as she can. She moves quickly, like the kitchen is hers and the pot is almost landing safely on the table when she hears a familiar voice, singing. Haein blinks for a moment, hands still holding onto the pot before unconciously looking up to find Chen walking down the stairs with both hands in his pajama pockets. It is only now she realizes that her fingers are throbbing painfully. Haein yelps while letting go of the pot and curses herself because now there is no way she can hide from him especially when the guy has stopped singing and is currently rushing towards her.

She moves as quickly as she can back to the kitchen but Chen is fast to grab her injured hand to take a good look on it. Haein keeps her head down, not wanting Chen to notice her.

"Please let me see," he asks politely. His voice is still the same as she remembers. Soothing, like a hot chocolate during winter.

Her heart is racing a bit too fast right now from meeting him again, from the coziness of his voice, from the warm contact of his hands. Haein doesn't think she can hold it any longer so she pulls her hand away slowly but it is too late because Chen sees the red marks on her fingers. He gently takes her right hand back, guiding her towards the sink to run cold water on the burn marks.  Haein keeps her lips sealed until now and Chen seems to notice her discomfort.

"Hi, I'm Chen,"

I know.

"Chanyeol's friend. I came later last night," he chuckles brightly. "I'm sorry if I caught you off guard. Nice to meet you."

One would know that he went to the bar last night because of his breath but Haien knows him too well to not notice the smell yet still know where he spent the night. She only nods and keeps looking at his slender hands holding onto hers, caressing the burn mark with such gentleness. He didn't change, not one bit. She misses the way her hands always fit in his perfectly and the way he is nagging at her to be more careful. He has always been like this to everyone - friendly and sweet.  Although they are a history, Haein can't help but to feel a pinch of jealousy thinking about all the girls who  had received this kind of treatment from him occasionally.

"I-I'm okay. Thanks, Chen."

She expects him to reply but when the noisy guy suddenly mutes, Haein had no choice but to slowly turn her head to peek at him who is still standing beside her. Chen looks shock, his thin lips gaps a little while his small yet sharp eyes scanning her face as if making sure that he is not seeing an illusion. Their eyes meet and Haein can't find the strength to look away because his eyes have always been her galaxies. He doesn't look away too. They are close. Too close. She can hear his ragged breathing and she can hear her heart beating.

"Haein unnie!" Areum screeches while bouncing off the stairs causing Chen to clear his throat and regain his composure. His eyes never leave hers.

"Haein, good to see you again," he smiles like a sunshine. Haein wonders if anyone else in the world can give a smile so purely like he does. She thinks of none.

"You've gotten prettier," he whispers, enough for her to hear.

Haein is thinking where to hide her blushing cheeks but Chen seems to understand because the next second, he is already turning himself towards the table full of meals, wowing like a little child seeing a dandelion for the first time. Areum comes forward, all jumpy and energetic before bowing at him, "Hi, you must be Chanyeol's friend. I'm Kim Areum, nice meeting you."

Chen chuckles and bows back slightly, "and I'm Chen. Your name is Areum as in beautiful?"

Areum giggles and nods, naturally finding her spot at the dining table.

"It suits a beautiful girl like you," Chen adds in and Haein finds herself rolling her eyes. Typical Chen.

"Thanks! You should try Haein unnie's kimchi fried rice. They are legendary," Areum chirps while scooping some rice into her bowl and Chen's.

He hums, turning his head back to meet Haein in the eyes,

 I know

 

 
 
 
AUTHOR'S NOTE:

hello loves! sahkdjahkas it's Chen! are you guys still there? pls comment if you still are!
love, kyc.