Chapter One

Uneasy

A/N: I was bored the other day and came up with this. It was originally supposed to be a one-shot but my power went out and I had nothing else to write about, so it will now be a three chapter story... hope you enjoy!

 

MoonByul woke up to the smell of strawberries. It was her favourite scent in the world, because it was the smell of her wife’s lotion. Kim YongSun was neatly folded up in her wife’s arms. Byul smiled to herself. No matter how many mornings she woke up like this, she would never get use to it, never get use to always having the woman she loved in her arms.
YongSun stirred, she must have sensed that Byul was awake. Byul leaned forward and gave her a kiss on her forehead, making her stir more. “Are you awake yet?” Byul mumbled in YongSun’s ear, her voice husky in the morning.
YongSun shook her head. “You’ll have to try harder.” She hadn’t even opened her eyes.
Byul made a noise in . “I do like a challenge.” Byul showered YongSun’s face with small kisses, working her way down to her neck. YongSun placed her hands on Byul’s hips, digging her nails in a bit. Byul took that as a good sign and began kissing her jaw line, leading up to her lips. Byul only brushed her lips over YongSun’s, not giving her what she wanted. YongSun made a whining noise. “Open your eyes.” She bit YongSun’s earlobe, the noises she was making was more torture to Byul than it was to YongSun.
YongSun opened her eyes, soft in the morning light, barely able to focus on Byul. “You’re a tease.” She pouted.
Byul leaned in and kissed her for real but not for too long. YongSun opened her eyes again, this time looking more annoyed with Byul. Byul raked some of YongSun’s hair back behind her ear. “How is baby this morning?”
YongSun continued to pout but her gaze dropped to her stomach, a small bump had swollen there. Byul’s free hand dropped there, feeling the bump under YongSun’s shirt. It had been a long conversation between them. YongSun had always wanted a baby, Byul didn’t hate the idea but they had enough trouble with their relationship, she didn’t want to complicate a child’s life because of who they chose to love. However, when HyeJin and WheeIn announced their news to the girls, Byul knew it wouldn’t be long until YongSun talked her into it. YongSun laid her hand over Byul’s. “Baby is fine.” She moved her hand to Byul’d neck. “It is Mommy that is not happy.”
Byul raised her eyebrows. “Oh, and what will make Mommy happy?” YongSun pulled Byul back to her for another kiss. Byul allowed it to go on for sometime, it wasn’t like she didn’t want it either. Byul had been more cautious with YongSun since she got pregnant, there was just something more fragile about her, making her not want to take things too far but she knew it was just making her wife frustrated. Byul rolled them around so she was above YongSun. She let go of her lips so she could trace her nose across YongSun’s face, making her way up to her forehead again. She kissed her gently in the centre of her forehead, then rolled off of her and planting her feet on the floor. YongSun growled. “It’s time to get ready for work.” Byul dashed out of the room before YongSun could coax her back to bed. 

Byul finished placing the eggs and tea she had made on the table when YongSun finally exited their bedroom. She had a frustrated look on her face, but not the kind of frustration the Byul was used to. “What’s wrong babe.” Byul asked while placing chopsticks beside the plates.
YongSun stood taller, she smoothed the fabric of her flowing white dress over her stomach, revealing the hidden bump. “Can you tell I am getting bigger?” She didn’t seem pleased by that fact, even if it was her idea to be the one to carry their child.
“YongSun you’re pregnant. I’m sorry to tell you this babe but that,” She pointed to her belly. “Is not going to get smaller.”
YongSun rolled her eyes. “I know that Byul-Ah, but I don’t want the people at work to know yet.” She sat down at their little table and picked up her chopsticks. “I feel like no matter what I put on, you can see it.”
Byul walked around the table and kissed YongSun on the head. “You look fine baby, beautiful even.” She kissed her lips. “You’re only four months along, don’t worry it will be fine.” She sat down opposite of her. “But we will have to tell them soon.”
YongSun nodded, stuffing her face with and egg roll. “I will soon, but just a bit longer okay?” Byul didn’t want to tell her the cat might be out of the bag on that one. YongSun was super thin to begin with, chances were more than a few people have noticed the weight gain, especially where she was gaining the weight.
YongSun sipped her tea and made a face, the sugar monster had to cut way back and was not liking it. “Your chest looks amazing in that dress.” Byul said trying to take YongSun’s mind off of the bitter tea. YongSun gave her a look. “The weight gain is good for something.” She winked. YongSun’s face dropped a bit, she was overly sensitive these days and Byul keeps forgetting that. “Not that they weren’t amazing before.” She tried to back track. “They’re just, you know… bigger.” She felt her face going red so she took an interest in her food.
YongSun scoffed. “Says the girl who barely touches me anymore.” And there it was, the elephant in the apartment. Byul was embarrassed to admit they hadn’t… not since they found out for sure that YongSun was pregnant.
Byul took in a breath. “We’ve been over this Unnie.” She liked to use that word when she was in trouble. “You’re too…”
“If you say fragile one more time Moon ByulYi.” Byul looked up at her sheepishly. “I have needs too and we’ve talk to the doctor about it. And don’t you remember when WheeIn was pregnant with YooRa, she and HyeJin still couldn’t keep their hands off one another.” Oh Byul remembered that, it was borderline inappropriate for company everytime they hung out.
Byul sighed. “I promise Unnie, I will get over it but we both need to be comfortable with this.”
YongSun shook her head, defeated. “You better get over this soon Byul-Ah, I don’t know how much more I can take.”
That set Byul’s insides on fire. She cleared . “We have to get going.” She shoved more eggs into as fast as she could. 

After dropping YongSun off at her office job, Byul drove over to her studio. She co-owned it with WheeIn. Half of it was Byul’s photography studio and the other half was WheeIn’s art studio, all of it was run by HyeJin. Byul begged YongSun to quit her office job and join them in the family business, it caused her too much stress, but YongSun insisted she loved her job and didn’t want to quit it. Byul had been toeing a lot of lines lately with YongSun so she left this argument alone… for now.
HyeJin was behind the desk when Byul walked in. She passed a tray of coffee over to her, Byul didn’t drink coffee around YongSun to make it easier for her to quit it but she guzzled it at work to make up for it. HyeJin was chewing in the end of her pen, staring intently at her computer screen. “Did my one o’clock confirm?” She asked while leaning against the desk.
HyeJin nodded. “Get any last night Unnie?” HyeJin was always blunt.
Byul huffed. “What do you think HyeJin-Ah?”
HyeJin pulled her gaze from the computer and looked over at Byul. “I’m telling you Unnie if you don’t get over it soon YongSun is just going to jump you, or combust.” She laughed a bit.
“What did I miss?” WheeIn walked in holding YooRa, the eight month old had WheeIn’s eyes but HyeJin’s personality.
HyeJin held her hands out for her daughter, WheeIn passed her over. “Byul is still afraid to bed her wife.”
“Ahn HyeJin!” Byul looked at her like she was nuts, then looked over at the baby she was holding.
WheeIn rolled her eyes. “She can’t understand us Unnie.” WheeIn smoothed one of YooRa’s curls. “Now what is this about?” HyeJin filled her in quickly. “Really Byul-Ah, fragile, did you really use that term?” Byul shrugged. “Did the doctor say anything to make you feel that way?”
Byul sipped her coffee. “Quite the opposite actually.” She nervously nibbled on the plastic lip. “But I can’t help but feel like something is going to happen if we do.” WheeIn nodded. “I get that.” She took her coffee from HyeJin. “When I first got pregnant I was scared of a lot of things, but eventually the lust won.” She gave HyeJin a look that made Byul feel like she should leave the room. “But you both have to be comfortable with it.” She added that made Byul feel a bit better.
Byul looked at the time, half past noon. “I better start getting set up for my one o’clock.” She said happy for a way out of this conversation. 


It was turning out to be a long day for Byul. Her first client was late. They showed up with a lot of demands. The second client’s child wouldn’t stop screaming the entire time and almost broke one of Byul’s lights. Soon Byul was sitting in HyeJin’s office hair, head leaned back, she was spinning around in the chair trying to forget the day. HyeJin, WheeIn and YooRa went to a local cafe for lunch so Byul was all alone.
A ringing phone made her reluctantly open her eyes. It wasn’t the office phone, it was her cell, usually no one but YongSun and the girls call her, and she had preset ringtones for all of them so it was odd to hear her default one. She looked at the caller ID, no one she recognized. “Hello?” She cautiously answered, sometimes clients would call her cell and not the office phone, for whatever reason.
There was motion on the other end. “Is this Moon ByulYi?” The girl sounded odd on the other end.
Byul sat up in her chair. “Yes, what can I help you with?”
“My name is Song MiSo, I work with YongSun.” Byul’s heart dropped a bit. “She is currently being taken to the hospital.”
“What?!” Byul jumped from her chair. “Which one, when, why, what happened?” All of her questions ran together as she searched for her keys.
“She was light headed and was a bit dizzy before lunch.” Byul wanted to strangle the girl on the other end for how slowly she was giving her the information, and how calmly she was saying it. “She said she was fine but then she was having pains in her stomach.”
Byul’s mouth went dry and she was sure she wasn’t breathing. “Which hospital?” She said through clenched teeth.
“The closest one to the office, it is called…”
“Don’t worry I know which one.” She was already out the door and running to her car. “Thank you.” She hung up without a goodbye. She got in her car and quickly shoved it in gear. She managed a call to the girls to tell them where she was going. The most painful thing was trying to maintain the speed limit the entire way there.

Byul ran down the white halls. Dodging the mass amount of people that were in the emergency room. She almost smacked into the reception desk because she was running so fast. She was breathing so heavily it was hard for her to get the words out. “Kim YongSun.” She said to the first nurse. “I am looking for Kim YongSun, she was brought in not too long ago.”
The woman gave her one quick look. “I’m sorry ma’am but how are you related to the patient?”
Byul could feel her anger rising. “I’m her wife.” She said holding her hand up so the girl could see the ring. “Moon ByulYi, my name will be in her insurance file.” She tapped her fingers on the counter as the woman slowly typed her name into the system. Byul was used to prejudice but when it came to the well being of a loved one, she didn’t understand why the nurse was being rude, she wanted to smack her in the face but it wasn’t going to help anything.
“Here it is.” Byul swallowed her heart. “Kim YongSun,” She said it so slowly that Byul was getting impatient with her.
“Moon ByulYi?” Byul turned to see another girl down the hallway, she looked familiar. “I’m MiSo…” Was all she had to say before she was dashing down the hall. Byul turned enough to yell at the nurse. “Thanks for nothing you !” She made it to MiSo, looking around nervously at the beds around her. “Where is YongSun?” She heard her voice crack, she had been trying to keep the tears at bay. If YongSun was hurt, if the baby was hurt, she wasn’t sure what she was going to do.
“ByulYi?” Byul shot daggers at her. “Breath, you’re not going to be helpful if you pass out.” Byul didn’t realize she was holding her breath. She let it out. “She is in that room.” Byul dashed off again, leaving MiSo to follow.
YongSun was hooked up to so many machines that it made Byul sick. She dropped to her knees at YongSun’s side and reached for her hand. “YongSun? Baby?”
YongSun opened her eyes and sleepily smiled at her. “Byul-Ah.” She reached her hand out and cupped Byul’s face.
“Are you okay? Are you hurt? What about they baby?” She was rambling, she could feel the tears running down her face.
“I’m fine Byul-Ah, we’re fine.” She let go of Byul’s face to touch her stomach.
Byul wiped the tears off her face. “What happened.” She gestured to the machines. “What is all of this?”
“Anemia.” A voice said from behind her. Byul turned to see a man in a white coat behind her, the doctor. Byul stood but was still hanging onto YongSun’s hand. “You must be the wife.” He looked past her to YongSun. “You were wrong she didn’t punch anyone.”
YongSun lazily pointed at him. “Yet.” She laughed.
“Can someone please explain what is going on before I really do punch someone?” Byul looked between them.
The doctor put on his medical professional face and cleared his throat. “YongSun has anemia, it is quite common in pregnant women.” He looked at his clipboard. “The machines are just heart rate monitors for both YongSun and the baby.”
Byul felt a huge weight lift off of her. “Okay but we were just at the doctors last week, and that doesn’t explain the stomach pain.”
“Anemia can come on fast. And as for the stomach pain that was indigestion, probably just something she ate.”
Byul breathed again. “So she is okay?” She looked back at YongSun.
“She will need to take it easy for awhile but yes she will be fine.”
Byul squeezed YongSun’s hand tighter. The doctor left and Byul pulled up a chair. She kept smoothing YongSun’s hair, trying to sooth her. “Cat is out of the bag now.” YongSun said without opening her eyes.
“What are you talking about?”
YongSun looked at her. “I was so scared when my stomach started hurting.” She swallowed hard. “My coworkers weren’t taking me seriously so I kind of blurted out that I was pregnant.” YongSun started gently rubbing her stomach. “I’m glad I did because moments later I fainted.” She squeezed out some tears. “I was so scared I did something wrong Byul-Ah, I didn’t take you seriously when you said I was fragile, and I almost lost our baby.” She was fully crying now.
“Hey, hey, hey.” Byul said smoothing her hair more. She leaned in so her head was pressed against YongSun’s. “I was being overbearing and over cautious. You heard the doctor, it is common.” She made YongSun look her in the eyes. “You. Did. Nothing. Wrong.” She enunciated each word. “Do you understand that?” YongSun nodded, more tears falling. Byul wiped them away and kissed each of her eyes. “You should get some rest.”
YongSun pouted. “Will you lay with me?” She asked in the sad child voice she knew Byul couldn’t resist.
Byul rolled her eyes. She looked around to make sure the doctor wasn’t around. She lifted the blanket and slid in next to YongSun, who automatically wrapped her arms around Byul’s waist and rested her head on Byul’s chest. Byul rested her head on top of YongSun’s and rubbed her back until she fell asleep.

HyeJin and WheeIn showed up not long after. Byul managed to remove herself from YongSun’s iron grip without waking her. She covered YongSun up and slipped out of the room with the girls. They sat in the waiting area, coffees in hand. Byul rubbed her forehead, this day was really beginning to be a headache for her. “So she is fine?” WheeIn asked while bouncing YooRa on her knee.
Byul drank her coffee fast, almost wishing there was alcohol in it. “Yeah, just some anemia.” It sounded so harmless but it had Byul wanting to punch someone out for all the stress she just went through.
“Huh,” HyeJin said causing Byul to look at her. “I guess you were right about her being fragile.” Byul glared at her and so did WheeIn. “What?”
“Now is not the time hun.” WheeIn patted her on the arm. “At least it was nothing serious.”
“But it could have been.” So many of Byul’s fear came to life today. She was so worried, so much could go wrong.
“You can’t think that way Unnie.” WheeIn scolded her. “I know you worry about YongSun Unnie but you can’t lock her up. It won’t be fair to her or you.”
Byul rubbed her face. “I know.” She tossed her empty cup in the trash. “I know but I am allowed to worry.”
“Just don’t over worry.” WheeIn warned with a glare at HyeJin.
She held her hands up. “One time, that happened one time WheeIn-Ah”
Byul was trying hard not to laugh. “You hid my car keys in the top if the toilet, it took me three hours to find them.”
HyeJin threw her hands up. “It was a bad dream! You got hurt in a car crash.”
WheeIn crossed her arms. “Three hours HyeJin-Ah, over a dream.”
HyeJin shook her head. “I am never going to live this down.”
Byul actually laughed. Her friends troubles were making it easier for her to breath. “Byul-Ah?” She heard YongSun’s voice travel from her room.
Her head whipped in that direction, she could see her moving a bit from the crack in the door. “YongSun is up.” She said as she rose from her seat, heading back to the room. YongSun was sitting up looking a bit worried when she got in the room but visibly relaxed when she saw Byul enter. “Hey baby, you’re up.” She smiled at her.
YongSun’s brow creased. “You left.” She pouted a bit.
“You have visitors.” She said stepping aside so the others could get through.
YongSun lit up when she saw YooRa in WheeIn’s arms, she adored that child. It made Byul smile thinking of how much she was going to adore their baby. “We thought this would make you feel better.” WheeIn passed YooRa gently off to YongSun who cradled the child in her arms.
“We’re glad you’re okay Unnie.” HyeJin said taking the chair next to her bed, playing peek-a-boo with YooRa.
YongSun joined in on the game. “I’m glad too.” She said. She kissed YooRa on her head. “I can’t wait until I can hold our baby.” She said making eye contact with Byul. Byul patted YongSun on the head. “Me too.” She ruffled YooRa’s hair.
“But YooRa will always be your favourite right Unnie?” WheeIn asked.
YongSun kissed the baby again. “Of course.” She said laughing. She might not like her more but she liked her first. Byul had no doubt their baby would be the centre of YongSun’s world, the centre of both of their worlds.


YongSun lay on her back trying to catch her breath. Byul smoothed her messed up hair and laid down next to her. “That was…” YongSun let out a long breath causing Byul to laugh. YongSun rolled over to face her. “What happened to that whole fragile thing you had stuck in your head?”
Byul bent down and bit YongSun’s wrist, she yelped and Byul laughed sinisterly. “You’re not as breakable as I thought.” She leaned down again but this time nestled herself against YongSun’s neck, smelling her strawberry lotion.
YongSun swatted her. “Byul-Ah you’re nose is cold.” Byul retaliated by rubbing her nose along her neck, causing her to shiver.
Byul grabbed the blanket and tossed it over both of them. She grabbed YongSun and turned her so they were spooning. Byul and YongSun laced their fingers over YongSun’s stomach. Byul snuggled as close to YongSun as she could get. She sighed in comfort. “I don’t think I could get any more happy than I am now.” Byul admitted, feeling the fatigue taking her over.
YongSun turned her head a bit. “What about when the baby is born.” She could feel YongSun’s uneasiness.
Byul kissed her shoulder. “The baby is already apart of my happiness.” She squeezed YongSun tighter. “I’m sure I’ll be more happy once he is born but for now I think I am as happy as I can be.”
YongSun really strained her neck now. “He? You think we’re having a boy?”
She knew how to rile YongSun up, who was wishing for a daughter. “Boy, girl, it doesn’t matter to me. I’ll be happy as long as it is healthy.”
YongSun seemed to consider this, she relaxed in Byul’s arms. “I suppose you’re right.” She finally admitted. They laid there in silence long enough for Byul to start drifting off to sleep. “But it better be a girl.” YongSun mumbled under her breath.
Byul barked a laugh, she leaned in and tugged on YongSun’s ear with her teeth. “Sleep now Unnie.” YongSun wrestled against Byul a bit more but then started to settle. “We’ll meet him soon enough.”
“Moon ByulYi!” YongSun shrieked. Byul could no longer contain her laughter. She held on to YongSun so tight that she could no longer move. She kissed her wife on the cheek and drifted off to sleep.