Oddity

Choerry Explores the Bat Cave
Please log in to read the full chapter

Hyejoo gulped as she watched the purple envelope slowly floated down, making a few twirls until it landed on the floor. Her hands automatically reached for it but it was too late.

 

She could only watched in anxiety as Yerim picked up the familiar purple envelope. The warm smile, the one she has grown fond of, slowly disappeared.

 

"This is... how... why do you have this?"

 

The answer to how that card was in her possession was obvious by her lack of response.

 

Yerim had very expressive facial expressions, which meant she could read her like a book most of the time. To the point where she could tell the exact moment when realization hits Yerim harder than a bullet. Crap. Hyejoo didn't expect to be found out this quickly, and certainly not like this.

 

"I..." Hyejoo, who was usually good at thinking quickly on her feet, was at a loss for words. She wasn't sure how it was possible to get out of this without hurting Yerim.

 

At the moment the tension reached it greatest intensity, they were interrupted by a familiar voice.

 

"You two have school tomorrow. Go to bed now!"

 

Haseul rounded them up and dragged Yerim into the other bedroom, still in disbelieve.

 

Hyejoo tossed and turn in her bed. Sleep will not come to her because her mind was overactive, thinking about how it all unfolded, how she was going to explain it all and what scared her most was the possibility of losing Yerim.

 

They still had school the following morning and she could feel the lingering effects from last night's event. Something was wrong, very wrong. Instead of the usual noisy chatter, breakfast was unusually quiet. The awkward silence was only interrupted by the sound of her growling stomach.

 

Hyejoo stole a glance at the one sitting across from her.

 

Judging by the bags under Yerim's eyes, neither of them slept well the previous night. Yerim, who normally looked forward to breakfast, was not her usual cheery self. She looked broken and you could see the light die inside her eyes.

 

Hyejoo felt like the worst person on the planet, as if she just shot a puppy. Her lips, usually in the shape of a triangle, looked more like a pout today.

 

The silence continued until she heard a soft 'ding'. It was followed by the smell of burnt toast in the air, signifying their breakfast was ready. She turned towards Haseul, who tossed the partially burnt toasts to their plates. Upon receiving her food, there was nothing but chomping sounds on the crunchy toast.

 

Before she knew, Haseul shoved a lunchbox into her hand and herded them out the door, towards the bus stop. Fight or not, it was no excuse to skip class. It wasn't like this was the first time they fought. They had fights before, just not at this scale.

 

There was that time Yerim clumsily knocked over Hyejoo's diet lunch box, which she spent the whole morning prepping. She was really angry and had to hold herself back. Now that she thought about it, she was always the one to get angry. It would appear that the tables have turned.

 

 

This unfamiliar awkwardness continued as they boarded the bus. Yerim, who usually dragged Hyejoo

Please log in to read the full chapter