First encounter

Choerry Explores the Bat Cave
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

~~~

 

 

It was a gorgeous morning, the clear blue sky, the warmth of the sun on the skin, the cool and crisp morning air and the sound of birds chirping.

 

As the phone buzzed, Yerim fished it out of her backpack to check her messages. It was a text from BBC to drop by after school to sign an official contract and discuss her concept and image.

 

For the entire day she couldn't hide or control her excitement, eagerly anticipating what her representative animal would be. The revealed LOONA members already had a rabbit, cat, white bird, frog, deer, owl and blue betta fish.

 

The scuttlebutt she heard was that BBC picked their animals based on the images each member projected. Following that line of reasoning, her animal should match her bright, positive sunshine like personality. Her imagination was running wild as she daydreamed about a cute squirrel running around in the bright green grass across Teletubbieland.

 

As soon as the bell signaled the end of class, Yerim snapped back to reality. Quickly, she stuffed her notebooks in the beige backpack and rushed out the classroom.

 

 

With light and springy steps, she entered the company building and greeted the receptionist with a bright smile. She was directed to a meeting room where the BBC creative directors were having a heated discussion, presumably about her concept and image.

 

BBC "Hello there, Yerim. While we decide your stage name, we wanted to let you know your representative animal will be a fruit bat."

 

She blanked out for a moment with a quizzical look "Huh? I didn't quite get that. A fruit what?"

 

"Fruit bat. It is a type of bat that eats fruit." BBC explained

 

Dude, Halloween is over Yerim thought. What kind of vibe did she give off for them to pick, out of all possible animals that exist in the world, a bat?

 

Despite the shocker, being the vitamin that she is, she looked at the positive side of things. With the best fake smile she could muster, she attempted to salvage the situation "Ahhhhh, I see. It is very... interesting. I will... show how bright and positive a bat can be!"

 

Yerim realized she shouldn't dismiss the creature purely based on her preconceptions. After all, every animal must have their purpose and role in the animal kingdom.

 

Her fingers tapped rapidly on the keyboard of her phone to search F R U I T B A T.

 

'Fruit bats have a thick furry coat, large eyes and pointy ears. Some species of fruit bats can have a wingspan of up to 6 feet'

Yerim rolled up her sleeves to inspect her arms and legs. They weren't furry.

Standing next to the mirror in the dance studio, she pulled her hair back behind her ears. They weren't pointy.

The owner of the longest arm in LOONA was obviously Hyunjin, the sleeves on their stage outfits always looked too short for her.

 

'Nocturnal, sleeping or rest

Please log in to read the full chapter