Chapter One

On Rainy Days

On Rainy Days

Summary: When biracial, Korean-American, Kim, So-Ri decides to return to her homeland, Korea, and make a fresh start, she did so with a plan. Plans don’t always go the way you plan...?

Genre: Romance/Angst/Hurt/Comfort/Drama

Alternate Universe: BTS/Original...Unknown Pairings…

Rated: M for Mature Content

A/N: If you have suggestions for Pairings, let me know!! I’m totally open to hearing what you guys have to say. Also, I can’t stress how much research went into the timeline of BTS from August of 2017 last year all the way up til this month, this year....seriously...you have no idea. I wanted their schedule to be absolutely accurate. -.-...now it is.

Side A/N: The first three or four chapters will be So-Ri based, as...I want to build up to her meeting and working with BTS. Not just...wake up, apply, work for BTS. Please be patient, and let me know what you think!!

-x-x-x-

Yoon Seon Yeong

Kim, So-Ri...otherwise known as Sorina Kim. A loving daughter, who frequented church with her mother every chance she got, and enjoyed reading during the services and singing when able to attend choir. During her first few years working, her late night shifts had made it nearly impossible for her to go to Choir or Church. Still, she worked her best around it, for her mom...she always worked hard to excel in everything she did. She attended dance classes from back when she was young, and made certain to find time to indulge in the creative outlet that was Dance. This was all she could do to keep her head above the waves that were school and work.

Now, going on twenty-eight, despite her almost nine years of experience in the field, she wasn’t content with her high profile job anymore. Well, no...that wasn’t right. Her job was fine, but her clients were another issue altogether. She was a Personnel Security Specialist for high-paying celebrities...apparently, being rich gave one permission to be a total...well, not a nice person. No, Security was not her first choice, she did it part-time while going to school, and just...never quit. Her thought back then had been I’ll quit when I finish school”. However, she never stopped going to school; attending for as long as she’d been working, almost nine years now.

Back in 2008, when she was eighteen, she’d started working security at nine an hour, a pay raise here, promotion there, transferred to another site with another pay raise...another promotion...twelve fifty an hour after two years. She was promoted roughly seven times in four years before she got her Bachelors Degree, Majoring in Public Relations with her Minor in Business in 2012.

Insert her next promotion here…moving from Security Supervisor to Armed Executive Protection Security Agent...yeah...that was a jump for her, but with her ACL and level three security license, apparently she was qualified for the position. Never mind the fact that she was still in school. The job did have it’s perks though, the CEO she followed around was a family man, so he understood she was still in school, letting her work on her papers and classes online while he was in his office or in a meeting. Oh, and the pay was nice...for a twenty-two year old student, eighteen seventy-five an hour paid her way through her second degree, though, not another Bachelors.

Working for the man for two year’s, she got an Associates Degree in 2014 that Majored in Marketing, Minored in Economics. She stayed a few more months with the man while she worked on her PR Managers Certification. During that time, she received a slightly better offer...as far as work hours went. The pay was slightly better, but it wouldn’t have been enough to get her to jump jobs. No, the hours won her over, and her Boss had been happy to write a letter of recommendation for her, should she need one in the future. Twenty-four years old, and she started on her third degree, this one was for fun.

August of 2017, at twenty-seven years old, just a few weeks before she turned twenty-eight...she received another Bachelors, this one a Degree of Arts, Majoring in Dance with a Concentration of Choreography and Performance, and a Minor in Media Communications. While working on earning the Degree, she took a second language, deciding to take up Korean since it was part of who she was...even if she’d never lived in Korea...she was still partially Korean. She’d received her third Degree about three days ago, and was thinking of whether or not she’d go for another degree or call it quits for some time. She would be turning twenty eight at the end of the month, perhaps she’d take some time off for herself.

Sorina, call on line one!”

...” Leaning forward, So-Ri picked up the phone and smiled as she answered the call. “Kim, So-Ri speaking, how can I help you?”

This is Stuart Camp, I’m calling for the Ed Sheeran concert in August.”

Ah...yes, one moment please...” she pulled up a file on her laptop and scrolled down a bit, “I have four teams stationed for Security during August 10, all the way through til August 12. There are also a stage ops team and three perimeters teams.”

Awesome, I just needed to check that everything was set. Will you be on set too?”

Not this time, no. It’s really a shame,” she laughed, “I like listening to his music, so I was hoping I’d be there, but his concert falls on my moms birthday weekend, so I was going to take a few days off for her.”

Ah...that’s too bad. Maybe next time we’ll see you. I’ll call again on the ninth to do a final verification of the Security teams, until next time.”

Until next time, have a good rest of the day.” She replaced the phone on the receiver. “Hey, Jason, can you get on the phone and give a call to the upcoming events Security set, make sure that the time and dates are all verified.”

I got ya,Jason peered inside So-Ri’s office and frowned, looking down at his watch, he glanced back up at his boss. “Sorina, aren’t you heading home?”

So-Ri glanced over her shoulder and her grayish green eyes met with her secretaries dark brown. “I don’t have that luxury, I have to finish the outlines for these contracts and make a few more calls before I leave. You can go after you finish with the verification calls.”

Are you sure?” He asked, a small grin finding his mouth as he got excited at the idea of leaving work early.

I can change my mind,” she said, no longer looking back at the guy who’d been working as her secretary for roughly five months now.

No, no!! I’ll finish the calls, have a good rest of the night!”

Mmhm,So-Ri looked back at her keyboard that she’d been typing on, her fingers stilled as she thought about her life, and more specifically...where it was heading. She couldn’t stress how much she wanted to do something else. Sitting in an office assigning jobs and running background checks for celebrity Security...it wasn’t her. It certainly wasn’t what she wanted to be. Her eyes moved to a framed picture that was sitting on her desk. Reaching over her keyboard, she picked it up before leaning back in her chair and staring at the picture thoughtfully. “It would be great if I could just up and leave like you did.”

Her green eyes trailed over the woman and man that were on either side of her much younger self. The woman, a vivid beauty of American English descent; beautiful blond hair in relaxed waves was tied into a low ponytail that lay over her slim shoulders, and gorgeous green eyes stared happily into lens of the camera that took the picture. The man on the other hand, was a strict Korean male, with a sturdy and fit form, he had hardened brown eyes and black hair. Between the two, was So-Ri, at the tender age of six. The picture was taken a year before her father left to Korea, and decided not to return. Just like that, she and her mother were left alone.

~You know I~

~I’m Gonna be yours tonight~

~we’re gonna oo-~

Yes?” So-Ri held her phone to her ear as she let her eyes drift away from the photo in her hands.

Is this Kim, So-Ri?”

Hearing her birth name kind of took her by surprise. Sure, she introduced herself as So-Ri, but people usually called her Sorina, the Americanized, idiot-proof version of her name. “This is her.”

I’m calling from Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, do you have any relation to an Elaine Kim?”

She felt her heart speed up at the mention of the name, “she’s my mom...”

It's urgent that you come as soon as possible,

As soon as possible, is she okay? What happened?!”

I can’t give out anymore information, as soon as you get here, a Doctor will talk to you.

Her eyes were wide as she listened to the woman on the other line. Her fingers went limp as the picture fell from her hand clattering to the ground, the sound of glass breaking echoed around the room as she stood suddenly from the seat she’d been in for the last four hours and ran out of her office and past her secretary.

-x-x-x-

...mama...’ So-Ri stared lost at the floor, the hand on her shoulder seemed heavier than she thought it should. Looking up, she felt broken as her eyes met with the doctors. She’d been too late. It hadn’t taken her but maybe twenty minutes...but she’d still been too late. The loss of blood had been too great, trauma to the body...internal organ failure...it had all been too much. “...what of the driver who hit my mothers car?”

He looked sideways and pointed down the hall, “he’s in ICU at the moment,”

She glanced in the direction that the Doctor was pointing, “...will he survive?”

I’m not really at liberty to say...” He stared at her for a moment before sighing, “...it’s not looking good, but there’s still a chance that he’ll pull through. At the moment, he’s in need of an emergency surgery. We have him on support, but if we don’t get a new heart, he’ll die before the end of the night.”

She turned her eyes suddenly back to the Doctor, “what’s his blood type?” Her eyes burning the longer the conversation went on, but she couldn’t stop asking questions.

The Doctor lifted the clipboard in his hand and glanced at the top of the first page. “He’s a B type.”

...mama...is a Universal Donner, O type...if it’s not too late...you can use her heart, right?”

...It...it’s possible, yes. A heart can be used within the first thirty minutes of death. Um, if you don’t mind my asking though, why?”

She shook her head and smiled at the doctor, “just do it, before I change my mind.”

He nodded his head and left her alone in the hall. She contemplated the choice she’d just made on a whim. “Mama, you’d be mad if I let him die...right.” She brought a hand to her cheek and rubbed her tears away. “You wouldn’t want him to die...you would have been worried about him even if you’d survived. No...I know I made the right choice...” She walked back to the waiting room, gravity pulled her downward and she fell limply into one of the seats, her tears falling weightlessly.

Yoon Seon Yeong

Minutes turned to hours and sleep found her with the harsh promise of anguish filled dreams. It was like this, that the doctor found her when he came out of the operation room four hours later. He stared at her for a moment before telling his surgical team that had followed after him, to go on ahead.

They left as told, sparring curious glances at the girl who sat sleeping in one of the seats in a sad state.

Leaning over a bit, his white coat grazing the chair as he stared at the red around the young girls eyes. He sighed before speaking softly so that he wouldn’t frighten her awake. “Miss?” he gave her slight nudge with the back of his hand when she didn’t wake up. “Miss, wake up.” He watched her respond to the nudge, her eyes opening and taking in her surroundings before meeting his.

...is he alive?”

The Doctor looked into her eyes, a feeling of helplessness stung his heart. “Yeah...he’s been moved back to ICU for the time being...”

Nodded, she stood up and stretched her limbs a bit, relaxing into the painful moment, she turned a sad smile to the Doctor. “...thank you. Could you call me when he wakes up?”

...” the doctor thought carefully over the request before he nodded his head. He watched her pull a card from her purse and held it out to him. Taking the card, he stared after her as she turned and left his sight. Glancing down, he read the card. “So-Ri Kim...Personnel Security Specialist?”

-x-x-x-

(Two Days Later)

So-Ri sat making plans for her mothers funeral. She’d already decided on the date. Having had to call into work the day before, she had til the thirteenth off, but would have to return on the fourteenth and go back to the daily grime of work. Looking picture beside her, she stared at it for the hundredth time in the last two days. Picking it up, she leaned back against the back of her desk chair and sighed.

~You know I~

~I’m Gonna be yours tonight~

~we-~

She picked her phone up and answered the call. “This is So-Ri,”

This is Doctor Ward at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center. You asked to be notified when the patient woke up.

A mental mantra of breath in, breath out was being repeated over and over again in her head. “Thank you, I’ll head over immediately.” She left her moms home, making her way to the hospital where her mother had died two nights ago, and the man who’d killed her had received her heart as her mothers final farewell.

Walking inside, So-Ri saw the doctor waiting for her at the front desk. He walked towards her and ushered her to the elevator. “Thank you again, I’m sorry if this is causing you trouble.”

No, no...it’s fine. I can’t help but think of my own daughter...it’s not easy to lose someone, and to do what you did, I couldn’t imagine doing the same.”

She nodded, “When I was little, my mom told me that...if I missed her, for whatever reason...or if I, for whatever reason, couldn’t see her again...that she’d still be kept close in heart and in memory. She said, that if worse comes to pass and she dies...that should I whisper to a butterfly, it would fly to heaven and deliver my message to her.”

...your mother, had a beautiful heart.”

Stopping the comment, she shook her head before she continued walking, “don’t you mean...she has a beautiful heart? Though, it wasn’t her heart that made her who she was. It was her soul.”

What do you mean?”

I gave that man my mothers heart, will he suddenly become my mother?” She stopped in front of the door that the doctor led her too and turned to face him, “It is neither, a heart or a brain...that makes us human...but the soul.”

She knocked on the door and a soft come in echoed from the other side. She entered to see a man laying with the support of a pillow. Next to him was a woman and a sleeping little boy who lay with his head on the bed. A large hand on the boy’s head as fingers ran through his messy brown hair. The image was one that caused a new ache to form in her heart.

The man who lay on the med bed, turned sad eyes towards the door she’d just entered through, “You...are you...her daughter?”

So-Ri looked at the man and a sad, broken smile...found tear rimmed eyes. “Yes.”

It could certainly be said that So-Ri had one weakness when it came to her heart. For her, when a man cried, her whole would bleed. As her eyes took the man before her in, her heart started to bleed as her own tears started to fall.

I’m sorry. I’m so sorry.” He cried, his blue eyes were fill with a heavy burdened pain. “I can’t apologize enough. I shouldn’t have been driving, I’m so sorry!” his voice cracked as he choked out the apology.

Moving towards his bed, she took a seat in the chair across from his wife and next to his sleeping son. “I thought about the things I might say...when you woke up. I feel like a horrible person...half of me was happy to hear you survived...so that you could live out the rest of your days knowing that your life was saved by the person whom you killed...” A look of shock passed through the mans eyes, “meanwhile, the other half of me is happy you survived, if only so that your son doesn’t feel the same hurt that plagues my own heart. I really don’t know what to say to you though. You said your sorry...and I want to tell you that it’s okay, but it’s not, is it?” She shook her head, “my heart hurts. My mom...she was all I had. Still...now that I’ve seen you, I’m happy. I’m happy to know that your family was spared that loss. I wondered for a while, if I did the right thing by giving her heart to you, but now I’m sure I did.”

...her...h-heart?” He began shaking and the woman across from her started crying uncontrollably at the new information. “Oh god, please forgive me...please...find it in your heart to forgive me. I’ll do anything!”

She shook her head, “...there’s nothing you can do for me. What you can do is for your family. Stop drinking, live for your son and wife...and remember...” she pulled the picture she’d brought with her out and placed the photo on his blanket. His eyes fell down to the woman, the smiling image of her mother in a white, yellow and blue sundress with her arms wrapped around the trunk of a tree. The picture was taken five days ago when she and her mother had gone to the lake on the day she’d received her third Degree. “...always remember.” On the back, she’d written down her mothers name, the date of which she was born, and the date that she’d died.

Nothing else to say...she left. Their cries sounding in her ears, yet she didn’t feel relieved; no, if anything, she felt worse.

The doctor was waiting for her as she closed the door to his patients room. He followed her outside, “What now?” he paused as she stopped and turned to face him.

Now? What do you do...when your world comes to a sudden stop?”

...start it back up again?”

She smiled, “that does seem to be my only option. Starting again...I’m going to start over. I didn’t realize until now...how fragile and short a life was. I’ll go back to where I was born...and do something with all of the Degree’s I have. Rather than just going to school, I have so many things I dreamed of doing, and simply never did. So...yeah...that’s my next step.”

Where were you born?”

...Seoul...Korea. I’ll leave after I settle my mothers affairs here. Hey, Doctor, I never did get your name.”

It’s Conner Ward.”

She nodded, holding a hand out as she offered him one last smile, he took her hand in his in a firm grip. “Thank you...for taking care of my mother in her final moments. I’m sure she was scared, but knowing that such a kind doctor was with her...it makes me happy.”

Her hand slipped from his grip, and that was the last time he’d seen the girl.

Two days later, a funeral service was held for Elaine Kim, beloved mother and wife, loved and never forgotten. She was buried beneath a young weeping plum blossom that was planted just for her.

Over the last few days, her world had stopped spinning. That night, she put her world back in motion, taking the first step to starting over.

-x-x-x-

Me: Chapter One~!! So-Ri is an Original Character of mine...so please treat her well!! She’s been through a lot, and is going to go through a lot more soon. Please support her in her adventures!!