so close

phantom pain
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"My Jiyong is dating someone already" Bom told me in a nonchalant way as she plopped on my bed. 

"Your Jiyong?" I repeated after her, surprised to hear the guy's name first time in months.

"My Jiyong" Bom casually replied, "I told you about him, Seunghyun, the tall weird guy" she continued describing him but nothing comes into my mind. "You know, bubble gum hair?" And I finally remembered who she was talking about. 

Choi Seunghyun, he was a couple of years ahead of us and he was even on another department. A department that is on the other side of the school. If you're wondering how we met him, the answer is simple, college party. Even with the loud music surrounding them, Bom and Seunghyun was able to click with the help of a few shots of alcohol.

"So... What are you going to do about it? With your "Jiyong"?" With just a simple name— it has become an inside joke within our group of friends. A term we used to describe a guy who is stuck between being a boyfriend and a bestfriend. A wall that we will never be able to conquer. A cliff that we would've jumped if given the chance. 

I first met Jiyong when we first moved into Seoul. I was a 9 year old girl with a thick Busan accent and he was the son that was forced to show the new girl around. His mother assigned him to take care of me. I knew that I was a load suddenly dumped into his shoulder, like a last minute homework given by your teacher right before summer break. Despite his cranky appearance, he took care of me. 

He walked me towards my classroom during my first day of school although he kept his distance. 

"Here it is" he shoved his hands into his pocket, clearly telling me that he is getting impatient. I nodded my head before uttering 'thank you'. 

We were neighbors but we weren't really close. He wasn't the boy next door type and I wasn't the exactly a girl next door. I preferred staying at home during weekdays to read some books while he'd go out with his friends to play some games. Being neighbors, I've grown accustomed to his weekend schedule. It was a cycle that I was able to witness through my balcony. The way he carelessly opens their gate as he ride his bike out would distract me from reading and the way his friends would bid him goodbye would also be the same time, I'd say goodbye to the book I was reading. Despite studying at the same school and being neighbors, we weren't exactly friends. We knew each other's name and that was that.

Ironic how his name would still affect me now even though we haven't seen each other for years. 

 

 

 

Goodbye Summer

Our next conversation would be at the book shop, summer before our last year in high school. I was still the girl who would choose to read during her weekends and surprisingly, he became the guy who works part time in a book shop even though he knows nothing about books. 

"I didn't know you enjoy reading" it was his first words to me after years of not interacting with one another. I turned to look at him, and noticed how different his treatment now to me than it was years ago. I still see myself as an obligation he needs to tend to. Only this time, I wasn't this new girl from the province but a customer that he needs to tend to. 

"Well we weren't exactly friends" I replied as I continued scanning the racks for some books that I could hoard. After all, summer is a long time and I'm not really fond of outdoor activities. My answer must've caught him off guard since he was frozen at his spot. I wasn't being rude to him for I was stating the fact. 

Throughout middle school, we had different groups of friends and our groups of friends wouldn't overlap with each other. He belonged to a big group and everyone practically knows him while I'm cooped up with my small group of friends. 

"Well we could be friends now" he stated. 

"Why now?" How I wished my mouth had its filter on during that time. It wasn't that I hate him and I don't dislike Jiyong. I just find it odd that he suddenly wants to become friends with me all of a sudden. My question caught him off guard once again but his answer did the same.

"Why not?" he shrugged his shoulders as he shoved his hands inside his pocket. 

 

 

 

45.7 cm

"You're here again" 

"And you're still not fired" I retorted back although I had to stop myself from smiling. It has become our little thing. Every time I would visit the book shop we'd greet each other like that. He'd follow me around like a lost puppy as I continue to shot him down with my sarcastic remarks. 

I wasn't even into the far off corner of the shop when my eyes caught something. 

"They released a new cover?" I said to no one in particular but Jiyong, being the man he is, took the opportunity to strike up a conversation with me. 

"You mean the wizard series?" he asked, although I knew he wasn't interested with the Harry Potter franchise. I lifted the first book, Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone, and I can't help but feel excited. Despite having finished reading the series, seeing the newly released ones especially with a new cover makes me want to read them again. 

"I don't understand" Jiyong muttered. He was leaning against a bookshelf with his arms crossed in front of his chest. 

"Understand what?" I continued scanning the Harry Potter books and my inner Potterhead shall be contained. The fangirling should be inside my little sanctuary only, my room. Since my relationship with Jiyong isn't that deep, the man doesn't deserve to see me in my hyped Harry Potter state. 

"The hype about Harold" 

I turned to look at him and had to stop myself from scoffing. 

"Harold?" I repeated after him and he must've realized that I was upset. He raised his hands on defense. 

"It's not my fault that I'm not a fan of... that" he pointed to the series displayed right in front of us. I had to stop myself from ripping his hair out. How could this man not know Harry Potter? Even nonfans know of his existence, how could he not know him?

In my frustration, I grabbed him by the shoulder. 

"Stop by my house after your shift" 

 

 

 

Wrapped in a clear plastic cover was my copy of the first book in the Harry Potter series. I kept glancing at the clock wondering when will Jiyong would finish his shift. 

"You waiting for someone?" My younger brother Sanghyun asked me. I absent mindedly nodded my head since I'm getting quite impatient already. 

I almost bolted out of my seat when I heard the doorbell ring. Sanghyun gave me an odd look as I passed by him, the book still in my head. 

"So-"

I didn't even let Jiyong finish his sentence as I practically shoved the book in front of his.

"Read"

"But I do-"

"I don't care. Read" I firmly told him as he confusingly took the book out of my head. He scanned the pages with an unreadable look on his face. 

"I don't-"

"Take care of it" I looked at him in the eye trying to send the message that if the book was returned in a bad state, he'll be the one ending up in a bad state. 

"But I really-" 

"I don't care" I lifted my hands in the air. "You need to know who Harry is and not some Harold" I was clearly upset and seeing him looking at me with a stupid grin on his face clearly messed with my temper.

"What's funny?" 

"Cause the way you're acting right now is like Hermione" 

"What do you mean acting like Herm-" When I finally realized he said Hermione's na

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter