seven

robbed

Yena didn’t know what to do. A thousand different emotions were tugging at her, pulling her left and right, drowning her, choking her. She wanted to cry and scream, but at the same time, she wanted to whisper softly into Yuri’s hair and tell her everything was going to be okay, that she’d never leave her again.

 

On the tip of her tongue stood apologies, cries, screams, sweet nothings and everythings; there was so much to be said, but Yena didn’t know where to start. What could she say? An apology wouldn’t erase the sound the locker banging beside Yuri’s head, or the sight of Yuri collapsing on the pavement, alone, crying. Screaming and yelling wouldn’t change the fact that she had done those very things to Yuri months ago, every shout a bullet piercing through the bond they worked so hard to build. And sweet nothings? Sweet everythings? Nothing would erase the fact that those very things were whispered into Yuri’s ear as she sold her body to men that would never understand the depth of what they ruined.

 

So she just sat there, clutching onto Yuri’s shirt as though she would disappear at any moment. She held her head against the steady beat of Yuri’s heart, a heart that had been wronged so many times by too many people--

 

--and Yena was one of them.

 

She knew--she knew--that Yuri was still replaying the scene of Yena’s broken father in her head, rewinding the story as though she were the one that caused it all.

 

Afterall, Yena had implied as such.

 

Why was she thanking her? Surely, Yuri should be cursing at her, pushing her away. She had done absolutely nothing wrong yet was faced with the brunt of all the terrors the world had to offer.

 

With every chaotic thought that flew through her head, she tightened her grip on Yuri, somehow hoping, wishing, that everything would just magically go away. Yena begged, and begged, and begged, screaming at every being out there to just change this harsh reality.

 

No one heard her call.

 

If she pulled back slightly, she could still see the choke marks, the bruises, the cuts, the scars.

 

Why is she thanking me? This is my fault. She won’t even yell at me--why? Why is she so sweet, so caring? Why did this have to happen to her? Why am I so stupid? How can she have the capacity to still open her kindness to me like this? I don’t--I don’t deserve this. She should be smiling, and happy, and--

 

“I’m not going to disappear, you know,” Yuri whispered, smiling softly at the intense grip on her shirt. She brought one thin arm up and brushed Yena’s messy hair away from her tear-streaked face.

 

Yena took a shuddering breath and finally met Yuri’s soft gaze.

 

She threw her arms around the girl, sobbing uncontrollably.

 

“I’m so sorry, I’m so sorry, I’m so sorry. This is all my fault--I never should have--I’m so sorry, Yuri-ah. It’s not your fault; it’s not. You deserve everything good, everything--”

 

Yena was hushed by Yuri’s arms circling around her, hugging her tightly.

 

“No,” Yuri mumbled into Yena’s shirt, “it’s my fault.”

 

Before Yena could protest, Yuri shushed her and continued.

 

“I’m sorry for not telling you about my parents, and I’m sorry you had to find out like that. I’m sorry for being such a terrible friend. I’m sorry for who I am.”

 

Yena could feel Yuri’s tears starting to fall, wetting her shirt where her pained face hid.

 

She grit her teeth angrily, glaring up at nothing, furious at everything.

 

But one look down at the girl in front of her, all her anger dissipated. Yuri didn’t need anymore anger or pain. She deserved so much better. She deserved the world.

 

“Yuri-ah,” Yena called gently, quietly, as though the world would shatter if she spoke too loudly.

 

She ran her hands through Yuri’s hair, waiting for the girl to meet her gaze.

 

When she finally did, Yena knew exactly what to say.

 

She smiled.

 

“I’m here, and I’m never leaving again.”

 

They were bold words full of promise, a contract for forever with her signature signed in permanent ink.

 

And Yena meant them with her entire heart and soul.

 

Yuri’s eyebrows pulled together and her lips quivered slightly before she completely broke down in Yena’s embrace, her hands now clutching at Yena’s shirt instead. Her tiny frame shook with sobs, the result of all of the negative emotions and thoughts that had invaded her head and heart.

 

Yena held her as Yuri shed all of the tears that she previously shed alone. It’s not your fault. You’re not alone. You’ll never be alone ever again. Yena hoped these unspoken truths somehow made their presence known, whether through the few words spoken or through the love she channeled through her warm embrace.

 

Eventually, Yuri’s exhaustion won out, the girl promptly falling asleep after all the tears left her body.

 

Seeing this, Yena sighed softly, a small smile etched on her face. She quietly and carefully laid Yuri down and then herself next to her, pulling her in her arms once more. She swept the hair away from Yuri’s face, wiping away the last of the tears, and placed a kiss on her forehead.

 

I promise, Yuri, I promise. I’m here.

 

As Yena pulled the covers over the two of them, she heard a faint whisper accompanied by a ghost of a kiss against her collarbone.

 

“Me too, forever.”