Chapter 4: The Math Book

Serendipity

SOOYOUNG’S POV

I was sitting on the bench in the school garden. The weather was quite nice with a glimpse of sunlight falling above my hair. It was still break-time but I lost my appetite so I decided to continue reading Harry Potter. Jessica was on her diet so she accompanied me in the garden while exchanging texts with Taecyeon.

I was reading Chapter 16 when I realized someone standing in front of me.

Shim Changmin.

He cleared his throat, his left hand touching the back of his head while the right one holding something that looked like a book. He looked at my direction with a confused look on his face. Ever since the “eavesdropping accident” two days ago, I haven’t seen him again. And I have also decided to forget the “flustered-awkward-clumsy” theory I have on him.

I took a glance at him and then back to my book again. “Yes?”

“Erm... Hmm, hi Sooyoung.” he said softly.

Jessica, who sat next to me, gave a “who-the-hell-is-this-guy” look while she examined Changmin from head to toe. I’m sure it gave Changmin an uncomfortable feeling. No one likes to be glared stared at by Jessica. Not even Taecyeon.

I was feeling a bit cranky since morning and Changmin’s presence somehow increased the level of my crankiness.

“Yes Changmin, are you here just to greet me?”

I couldn’t believe myself saying things like that to him. I sounded too much like Jessica.

He cleared his throat again. “No. Erm... I think you left this yesterday.” He gave me my Math book. “Probably you left it while passing by our classroom.” He continued.

Oh. So he knew that I eavesdropped? Whatever.

“’Kay. Thanks.” I managed to reply shortly as I took the book from him. Again, I continued reading Harry Potter, ignoring his presence. He still stood there clumsily.

“By the way, if you haven’t heard yet.. I’m dating Yeonhee now.”

I looked at him, a bit shocked with his words. Not that I didn’t know that they’re dating now, but his sentence...

Somehow Yeonhee managed to come and stand beside Changmin, linking her arm with his, smiling. Jessica, again, started to stare at Yeonhee. She was now giving me an “I-don’t-know-you-have-lots-of-weird-people-as-your-friend” look. You know, Yeonhee has an innocent smile and I like seeing that pure smile on her, but no, not today. Somehow, these two really annoyed me.

“Hi, Sooyoung!” Yeonhee greeted me happily.

I frowned. I didn’t think I can fake my expression it any longer.

“About your feeling...” Changmin continued talking.

My feeling? What feeling is he talking about?

“I acknowledge your feeling towards me, Sooyoung. But sorry, I couldn’t accept it. I had a chance to choose and I think Yeonhee is the best for me now. I hope it is okay for you.”

Ok, WHAT?! Telling a girl that you don’t like her and saying that you already have a girlfriend and bringing your girlfriend in front of the girl when you said it is not OKAY.

“YA! SHIM CHANGMIN! What do you mean by that?” I stormed around as I stood from my seat and pointed at him. I let my Math and Harry Potter book fall to the ground.

“Really, seriously?! You like this nerd?! Ya Choi Sooyoung, what’s with your taste?” Jessica shouted with her dolphin voice.

“Sorry, is there anything wrong with my boyfriend?” Yeonhee stepped up, confronting Jessica.

“Pardon me? Did I hear that you’ve just rejected Sooyoung? Changmin ah, you’ve got to be kidding!” Jaejoong oppa somehow joined in this circle of craziness as he grabbed Changmin’s collar. His fist ready to hit Changmin’s face anytime.

It was a bizarre situation and I couldn’t stand it anymore: Jessica and Yeonhee somehow managed to pull each other’s hair while Changmin struggled to free himself from Jaejoong oppa. I didn’t know what to do so I just closed my eyes and screamed really hard.

“AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!”

I found myself still with my pajamas in my bedroom. I could feel sweat all over my body and my heart was beating fast. There was no one else but me in my room; no Changmin, Jessica, Yeonhee, or even Jaejoong. I looked at the clock; it was 9 o’clock in the morning. I wiped the sweat and touched my forehead. The temperature is normal which meant that I’m not sick. And yes, the whole scenes were mere dreams. A nightmare.

I shivered a bit, still thinking that it was real. I shook my head and wondered  why on earth did I dream like that? Probably it’s because I’m too tired from all the preparation for the final exam.

They say dreams reflect what you have in your unconscious mind, deep down inside your soul. Oh my God, is it because…

“Noona!” Minho opened my door suddenly.

“Ya Choi Minho! Don’t you know how to knock?” I yelled at him, throwing a pillow right to his face. He quickly took the pillow and apologized.

“Sorry Noona, but could you please take Max out today?” he asked.

“Why? Isn’t it your turn?”

“I have a date today with Krystal. Hehehe… Pleaseeeeeee, Noonaaa?”

“A date? Are you in relationship with her now?” I asked with curiosity. My brother is now dating Jessica’s sister? Well, I guess that would give me more reasons to bond with her.

“Just wish me luck! Hehehe. Ok, I take that as a yes, so I’m going! See you, Noona!” Minho left my room and started running down the stairs, causing mom to scold him.

I chuckled while I laid back in bed thinking about the dream again. Oh Choi Sooyoung, stop thinking about it. Heck, you just mistakenly thought that Changmin likes you. You are not that into Shim Changmin, right?

 

 

HELL NO!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I took Max out to the park today. I wore a crème short and a white loose t-shirt, adding a sling bag to take my phone and wallet. Yes, while my lovely little brother is having a date with his soon-to-be girlfriend, I was having a date with a dog.

Well, as a dog, Max is quite charming. He’s a gorgeous golden retriever with perfect hair and a nice body. He was also extremely obedient towards my commands.

The park is crowded today. There were a lot of youngsters going out in this Sunday afternoon. I followed Max wherever he went, too lazy to initiate the way. Max then suddenly ran to the basketball area on the east side of the park. I couldn’t hold him, so I followed him. Running. I saw a group of guys playing basketball there.

“Hi, Max!” Siwon got a big hug from Max. His sweat now reduced due to Max’s hug.

I joined the group. Siwon was hanging out with the seniors: Jaejoong oppa, Yunho oppa, Eunhyuk oppa, and Donghae oppa. They were playing around the area and all of them were covered with sweat.

“Oi, Sooyoung!” Jaejoong oppa greeted me with a nod.

I kept imagining the way he grabbed Changmin’s collar in my dream. I shook my head immediately. Before I knew it, Eunhyuk and Donghae oppa joined Siwon in playing with Max.

“What are you doing here alone?” asked Yunho oppa as he sat on the bench. Jaejoong oppa followed him.

“I’m taking Max out for today. How long have you been here, Oppa?”

“Since 7 this morning. We are still waiting for someone to come actually.” Jaejoong oppa answered.

“Who?”

“The sleeping prince”

“Ya,ya,ya! Talking about me again?”

Park Yoochun arrived wearing something that didn’t look like a usual sports attire:  jeans, white t-shirt, jumper with a hood that covered his hair, and a white sneaker. Plus, he smelled extremely nice; quite opposite with other oppas. He sat beside me with a sleepy face.  I wished those girls in my school could see his face now; they might change their opinion about him.  He was yawning as he put both of his hands to the pocket of his jacket.

“What’s with your clothes?! Aren’t you supposed to wear track suit or something like that?” Jaejoong oppa commented.

“Shut it, Jae. It’s almost lunch already. I’m not going to exercise today.” Yoochun oppa replied calmly.

I managed to look at Max. Siwon, Eunhyuk oppa, and Donghae oppa tried to make him play basketball. Jaejoong oppa and Yunho oppa joined them and they started getting ready to play basketball again.

“Aren’t you feeling cold?” Yoochun oppa asked me, looking at the short that I wear.

I shook my head. “I’m fine with it”.

“Sooyoung, do you mind accompanying me have some coffee?” he asked. Actually I’m feeling a bit hungry since I haven’t eaten anything when I left home earlier.

“That sounds great, Oppa!”

“Let’s go.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had bread with cheese filling and a cup of cappuccino. Yoochun oppa only ordered an ice Americano, typical Korean.

“How’s your studies, Sooyoung?” he asked, laying on the back of the chair in the café.

“Doing well.. The final exam is fast approaching, oppa. Wish me luck!”

He nodded. Yoochun oppa then opened his backpack and took a book from it.

“Here. I think you left this at school” he passed the book to me. It’s my math book.

I looked at him confusedly. “Oppa, where did you get it?”

Yoochun oppa, as well as Jaejoong oppa and Yunho oppa, is now a 2nd year university student. His university is quite far from our school. How on earth did he get hold of my book?

“Ah, I visited school last Friday and I saw this book in the alley in front of the senior classroom.  It’s yours, right?”

I vaguely accepted his explanation and simply thought of it as a blessing: I don’t have to go to school on this beautiful Sunday afternoon.

“Thanks, oppa!”

I saw a glimpse of a smile on his sleepy face; and it somehow made me want to smile too. For once, I realized that he is really an attractive guy. No wonder lots of girls want him to be their boyfriend. He looked at me while I’m examining his face. I immediately turned my face to another direction.

“Is there anything on my face?” he asked confusedly, touching his face. I shook my head and continued eating my bread.

When we were done, Siwon texted me saying that he’d take Max to my house. The rest of the guys were going back already. Yoochun oppa then decided to walk me home once we got out from the café.

“I have never walked you home before, I guess.” he said suddenly as we neared the park around my home.

I rolled my eyes in reminiscence. “I guess so. Your house is actually in the opposite direction of ours, oppa. In case you forgot. Hehehe.”

We continued to walk and finally reached the front of our house.

“Thanks for the treat, oppa. And for my math book!” I said to him while smiling.

He nodded quietly.

“Okay. I will get in first, Oppa. See you!” I bowed and then waved goodbye. I was about to open the gate when he spoke again.

“Erm… about the book. I lied.” he looked straight into my eyes as he said that.

“Pardon me?”

“I never went to school last Friday. The truth is Changmin found this book in the alley. I met him yesterday and when I saw this book, I suddenly wanted to use it as an excuse to meet you.” He was calm when he said that but I can sense that he was nervous.

I blinked my eyes several times as I tried to digest the whole information.

Yoochun oppa what? He wants what?

“Ya Choi Sooyoung? Why aren’t you saying anything? Are you perhaps… mad at me?”

I exhaled heavily and shook my head.

“Why are you telling me this, oppa?”

It was then his turn to exhale heavily. He looked down at his shoes and then back at me again.

“I do not lie to the girl that I like and I want you to know that… I like you.”

Silence.

Yoochun oppa…likes me?

He cleared his throat.

“Choi Sooyoung, please go on a date with me.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey, guys!

I'm sorry I've just been able to write the comment now.

Is it weird adding Yoochun in this story? I don't know why but as soon as I develop the story, he came in my mind hehehe. 

I finished writing this story around at 1 o'clock in the morning, so pardon me if you think the plot or the sentences are weird or incoherent.

Oh, thanks for those who comments and subscribe and also asked me through twitter :3

Really appreciate it, guys.. :*