Final.

Love Again
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

'' Why are you rushing? '' Jieun asked as she saw how frantic her best friend was.

'' Because I'm late, I am supposed to meet Jiyong half an hour ago '' Dara explained as she quickly put her papers in her portfolio and looked for her computer.

'' I'm starting to get jealous from my brother you know '' Jieun commented rolling her eyes but Dara just chuckled.

'' Hey- Are you leaving? '' Chaerin asked the moment she entered her friend's office and then frowned '' But we already made plans to have lunch together '' She argued and looked at Jieun who shrugged and held her hands up in defeat.

'' I'm really sorry, Chae, I promise I'll make it up to you '' Dara apologized then she took her phone and typed a message to Jiyong telling him that she'll be there soon.

'' You've been saying that a lot lately '' Chaerin huffed as she took the seat opposite Jieun and they both watched as their friend run around organizing her bad and looking for something. 

'' Ah, I found it '' Dara chimed in joy as she found her earings then she went to wear her coat '' I know and I'm really sorry but you know how things are. The wedding preparations are taking up my entire time. It's only two weeks until the due date and we still have a thousand things to do '' She explained.

'' I don't understand why you're getting married in December, you could have chosen a warmer time '' Jieun commented, however, her future sister-in-law grinned.

'' We meet during the Christmas season so we wanted to get married around the same time '' She told them for the nth time and she looked like a hopeless romantic. 

'' And here I was thinking that my brother was the only hopeless one '' Jieun suddenly said and they all laughed.

'' I gotta go, Jiyong is probably thinking of ways to kill me now for being this late '' Dara cursed as she looked at her watch then she blew her friends some kisses and ran out the door '' Bye '' 

'' They're both crazy '' Chaerin said as she looked at the door shaking her head while smiling '' I can't believe they're finally getting married '' 

'' Yeah, me too... I'm really grateful that my brother has someone like her in his life '' Jieun added.

 

 

 

It was already snowing when Dara got out of her studio and entered her car. She was already forty minutes late, just before she started the engine, her phone rang.

'' Hey, babe '' She greeted 

'' Where are you, Dee? '' Jiyong asked from the other line.

'' I'm really sorry, the meeting took way too much than I thought it would. I just got into my car, give me fifteen minutes and I'll be there '' She said and finally drove away.

'' Okay, be careful, the roads are slippery today '' He warned and she smiled.

'' Alright, I love you '' 

'' Love you too '' He said back and then hung up.  

 

 

 

Dara was driving safely as she tried to her best to get to the cake shop as fast as possible without getting into an accident yet there was too much snow that she was barely able to drive. She was going forward when suddenly she turned to her left to find a huge shipping truck coming her way, it was clear that the driver lost control over it due to the bad weather.

 

Dara's eyes widened in horror and she tried to move away fast before the truck would crush her car yet the slippery road made things worse and she soon found herself unable to control her car as well and the last thing she remembered was the sharp unbearable pain she felt in her left side then everything turned black...

 

 

 

_________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

Jiyong was looking at his watch almost every minute as he waiting for his fiancé to arrive. They had an appointment with one of the best cake shops in Seoul to taste and decide which flavor they wanted to get for their wedding. If it was for him, he wouldn't give a damn about those things but it was important to his beautiful Dara so he wanted to make everything the way she wanted.

 

 

Suddenly, he remembered the time he finally proposed to her last year. He spent months trying to figure out how to propose to her without exposing himself. He sought help from Chaerin, his sister Jieun, and her boyfriend, Seung Hyun who was also his best friend and they each gave him a few ideas yet he couldn't choose. Her birthday was nearing and yet he still didn't do anything and it frustrated him. Then suddenly during Seung Hyun's birthday, he got an idea.

 

Afraid that she'll figure out his secret, Jiyong was distancing himself the days prior to her birthday and it made Dara suspicious yet she didn't say anything. Then finally it was her birthday. They planned a nice party for her and everyone had the best time yet the entire time Dara was waiting for Jiyong's gift, however, it didn't come. Eventually, they had to go back home and during the entire ride Dara was upset and didn't speak a word. It wasn't enough that he had been neglecting her for days, he also forgot her birthday that morning and he topped it by not getting her anything. She didn't want to be upset over such things, after all, they were dating for nearly five years then, but it still felt terrible that he was ignorant. 

 

 

As he stopped in front of her apartment complex, Dara instantly got out of the car and Jiyong fought the urge to laugh, he knew that she was upset yet he kept quiet. Then being the gentleman he was, he helped her with the gifts she received but as soon as they got into her apartment, she spoke.

 

'' You can put them on the couch and leave '' She said without looking at him and he did as she ordered but he didn't leave '' Why are you looking at me like that? '' She suddenly asked when he stood in the hall and watched her take her shoes off. 

'' Would go and change then come? '' He asked and she frowned '' Let's have some wine together '' He added and she looked at him for a good second before she sighed and nodded. 

'' Okay '' She muttered and reluctantly walked to her room, the closer she got to the door the more nervous Jiyong got. 

 

 

 

Once inside the room, Dara stopped in her track as she saw a beautiful gift box on top of her bed and she immediately looked back to find a grinning Jiyong standing right behind her. 

'' You... '' She trailed off.

'' You didn't really think that I forgot my princess's birthday, did you? '' He asked and she finally smiled widely '' Go and see it '' He urged and just like a little girl, Dara ran towards the box and took in her hands. However, as soon as she opened it, her smile dropped and her excitement dulled.

'' Our... pictures '' She whispered clearly disappointed and Jiyong wanted to laugh '' Thanks '' She added forcefully and tried to smile yet she couldn't.

'' Why don't you take out the photos? '' He suggested and she did yet she found nothing underneath '' Put them on the bed and turn them around then organize them '' He commanded and she looked at him confused then with a huff she did as he said.

 

 

The moment she finally realized what was behind these words, she felt like her heart stopped and she blinked hard. 

 

'' Ji... W-what... You '' She stuttered as she felt out of breath and then turned around only to find Jiyong sitting on one knee and holding a breathtaking diamond ring in his hands. She gasped and covered still not believing what was happening '' Oh my God! '' 

'' Park Sandara, will you please marry me? '' He asked gently and grinned then in the blink of an eye, Dara launched herself at him sobbing.

'' Yes, yes, yes '' She repeated and Jiyong held her and stood then span around '' I can't believe this! ''

Then he finally put her down and put the ring on her before he kisses her hand '' Thank you so much for making me the happiest man alive '' He muttered and Dara was having a hard time controlling her tears, it was just too much '' I love you '' He confessed, held her face in his hands and leaned down to kiss her until they were both out of breath. 

 

 

 

Jiyong was brought back to reality at the sound of his phone ringing. He looked down at his watch and an hour passed yet Dara was still nowhere in sight. At that moment, his guts told him that something was wrong. Unfortunately, his thoughts were confirmed after he received the call.

 

'' Mr.Kwon? '' The person on the phone asked.

'' Yes, who is this? '' He asked back. 

'' This is Lee Mirae from Hankuk Sunjin Hospital '' She revealed and Jiyong's heart skipped a beat.

'' Yes '' 

'' After checking we found out that you're the last person miss Park Sandara called... I am sorry to inform you that she got involved in a car accident and she's currently getting the necessary treatment in our hospital ''  She explained and Jiyong felt like the world was spinning around him.

'' W-what happened... How is she? '' He asked frantically.

'' I am sorry, sir. Currently, I have no information- '' And before she could say anything more Jiyong hung up the phone and ran out of the shop.

 

 

He wouldn't be able to live if something happened to his Dara. 

 

 

 

 

_____________________________________________________________

 

 

 

An hour later, everyone was in the hospital. Chaerin and Jieun were trying to calm Dara's mother although they were both on the verge of breaking down. Her poor father was just sitting there quietly praying to God to keep his little girl alive while Jiyong was pacing back and forth waiting to hear anything about her.

 

Then Jiyong's mother also arrived and he immediately wrapped his arms around his mother and let the tears he was holding out.

 

'' I'll die if something ever happened to her '' He sobbed to his mother who patted his back gently.

'' Don't say that... She'll be fine... Everything will be okay and you two will get married like you want '' Mrs.Kwon calmed her son, her heart breaking for him and for her daughter-in-law who she came to love as her own daughter. 

 

After that, their friends, Seung Hyun and Seungri, arrived. The family and friends sat on the hospital's chairs waiting for the surgery to be done and over with. And finally, after what seemed like forever, the doctor came out and everyone rushed to him.

 

 

'' Doctor, what happened? How's my daughter? '' Mr.Park asked instantly and the doctor sighed.

'' Miss Park's left arm is broken and she also had two ribs broken but fortunately, we were able to fix it. However, at the ER we found out that she was suffering from an internal brain bleeding so we had to undergo a brain surgery '' He revealed and everyone felt more anxious than before.

'' How is she now? She's fine, right? '' Mrs.Kwon asked.

'' What will happen now? '' Mrs.Park asked, her eyes swollen and her body feeling more tired than ever.

'' The operation was successful, we did everything we could but now the only thing we can do is wait for Miss Park to wake up to see if there are some side effects '' The doctor explained and her mother held onto her husband's hand for support, trying so hard not to cry again.

'' How long will it take for her to wake up? '' Jiyong asked hoping to God that nothing bad will happen to his lover.

'' We don't know yet '' The doctor answered shaking his head '' We have to keep her in the ICU for the next 48 hours to make sure everything is under control but after that, it will depend on her. It could only be a few days, weeks, maybe months, but it could also be years '' He explained and her poor mother couldn't hold back her tears anymore. 

'' Is there... I mean... Is it possible that she... Won't... '' Chaerin stuttered, the words were too hard and too heavy for her to pronounce. 

But thankfully, the doctor understood and a heavy sigh left his lungs before he nodded '' Unfortunately, yes. That can happen ''

 

 

The impact of his words was too strong for the weary people around him and Jiyong immediately fell down on one of the waiting chairs, his legs too weak to hold him up.

 

He couldn't believe what was happening to them. It felt like he was in a nightmare. She was just fine that morning, heck, he even talked to her a few hours before and she looked healthier than ever. They were happily planning for their wedding that was bound to happen two weeks from then but how did they end up there? He held his head in his hand and closed his eyes tightly hoping that once he opens them back, he would be still in the cake shop and she'd be sitting in front of him deciding whether she wanted chocolate or hazelnut cake.

 

 

And just like that, the first 48 hours passed and thankfully Dara was out of the ICU. However, it turned out that the true suffering was only beginning then because even when the anesthesia wore off, she was not waking up and that's when it was confirmed that she was in a coma. Even though her family and friends knew that it was a possible thing to happen it was painful as hell knowing that it was real. 

 

 

Her brother who came all the way from the States felt devastated as he returned without being able to hear his sister's usually sweet voice or knowing when she'll wake up again. In the beginning, he didn't want to leave but his wife was left alone and pregnant and he had work to do so he couldn't stay and after a week, he had to leave. 

 

Her poor parents, especially her mother, sat by her bed every single day crying and waiting for her to open her eyes yet days passed and nothing changed. 

 

Chaerin felt her heart tearing as she had to call the guests and tell them that unfortunately, the wedding was postponed to an unknown date. She couldn't believe that the friend she had known since she was ten can probably never wake up again. Every time she called someone to cancel a reservation she cried after hanging up the phone.

 

 Jieun, who she wasn't only her friend and Jiyong's sister but also her business partner was having a hard time as she had to work and keep things going at their company after their best and most important designer was not around. Every day she'd go to the studio and go into Dara's office and remember how they used to laugh, plan, and sometimes fight so eventually she'd end up fighting her tears. Yet, what made things harder for her was seeing how her brother was aching more day after day. 

 

 

Then it comes to Jiyong.

 

 

Ever since the day she was moved out of the ICU and into her own private room, Jiyong started basically living in the hospital as well. No matter how much her parents and his mother tried to convince him against it, Jiyong stubbornly refused. Inside her room, he already had some of his clothes, his computer, and a couple of shoes he needed. He requested to have an extra bed in the room and it was granted. 

 

In the morning, when her parents would arrive, he'd go to his work like nothing was wrong. He would take care of everything as fast as he can then he goes back to her. Some days, Jieun and Seung Hyun would come, other days, it would be his parents or Chaerin. Simply put, the hospital had become a regular stop for them and nearly a house to Jiyong.

 

 

He would sit next to her and talk any and everything as if she was going to answer him. Sometimes, he read her favorite books for her and at other times, he'd open some fashion related articles in his phone and tell her how she would design and create better ones after she wakes up. He would tell her about their cat and dog and how they were doing at his parents' house after he couldn't take care of them. 

 

 

'' Mom says that Iye is refusing to eat lately so she may need to take her to the vet '' He said '' See, even our cat misses you '' He added with a sad smile and looked at her yet she said nothing back. 

 

 

And that's how nearly 8 months passed yet there was no change. Yes, the cast was removed at one point, her bones healed, the bruises and the swelling in her face and body were gone, yet her eyes remained shut. Jiyong was holding it together and pretending to be okay in front of everyone and even when he was alone. But when his birthday arrived and she didn't wake up, he lost it. 

 

Knowing his situation and how he was refusing to go anywhere but the hospital, no one prepared a party for him like they used to do. After a lot of tries, he finally accepted to go and have dinner with his mother and sister but he only stayed for an hour before running back to her. He was just worried about how she might wake up and doesn't find him around her. 

 

After coming back from the hospital, he sat next to her like usual and held her hand.

 

'' It's my birthday today, babe '' He started '' Everyone has wished me a good one... But you still haven't '' He added feeling the knot forming in his throat '' Hmm, are you going to let me hanging? Is it because I left you alone now and went to have dinner? '' He asked even though he knew he was being ridiculous '' How long are you going to keep me waiting? Hmm? It's been 8 months already, when will hear your voice again, when will I be able to feel you again? '' He kept questioning, his voice slowly breaking and tears forming in his eyes '' I am dying her, Dara... please... just please... w-wake up '' He begged and for the first time after she had the accident, he finally let out and broke down in tears. No matter how much he tried to stop, he just cried harder as he remembered how she used to celebrate his birthday with him differently each year and how she'd about how a terrible planner he was. 

 

 

 

Then after that night, he barely cried and regained his strong facade. 

 

 

 

___________________________________________________________

 

 

The season changed once again, but their life felt like it stopped in December of the past year. One rainy day, Jiyong came back from work feeling more down than ever, however, when he opened her room's door, he was smiling hoping to see her awake and smiling. But nothing. He just sighed then went and kissed her forehead like usual. 

 

'' Jieun is refusing to hold the engagement party unless you were there '' Jiyong shared chuckling. He was replacing the old flowers in the vase with new ones he just brought '' Seung Hyun hyung is going crazy over that '' He continued even though he got no answer.

 

After he was done, he finally took the seat next to her, one of his hands held her unmoving one while the other caressed her hair gently.

 

'' Come on, baby girl, you've had enough sleep '' He whispered his voice breaking down as he looked at her '' It has been a year now. Is it not enough? '' He asked and although he knew that she won't reply back he just kept praying that she would. 

'' I've missed you... I've missed your laugh... I've missed your clumsiness '' He repeated the same words he'd been saying for the past year '' I need you '' He added, a tear finally escaping from his tired eye '' I can't do this anymore... Please, babe, wake up '' He begged, however, she just laid in the hospital bed motionless and it killed him. 

 

 

And just like the nights before, Jiyong laid in the bed next to hers watching her until he finally, slept. Time passed and soon it was her birthday, everyone came that day, at different times, talked to her, laughed about some memories by themselves, then they left feeling dejected. During the night, Jiyong was standing watching the night view and feeling nostalgic. He was sometimes taking glances at the ring he was holding and sighing.

 

 

'' It feels just like yesterday when I just put this ring on you '' He muttered then looked at her '' I can't believe that two years have passed already '' He closed his eyes shut at the memory. 

 

'' Just please wake up '' 

 

 

 

_________________________________________________________________

 

 

Christmas and the new year passed yet Jiyong was living elsewhere. He didn't care about anything and soon it was February, the month when their lives would change once again.

 

 

'' Happy Valentine's Day '' Jiyong said with a wide smile as he kissed her forehead then he moved to put the flowers and the Teddy bear away '' Sorry I was late '' He apologized. 

'' I got stuck in a meeting then, the traffic was insane. I wanted to go and get you chocolate for your favorite place but I had no time '' He explained as he removed his coat and finally sat down in the same chair he sat on for months '' I'll bring them to you tomorrow, okay? '' He promised yet there was no reply. 

He looked at her for a good while, admiring how she looked although her face was pale and it was way thinner than how it was fourteen months ago.

 

And just like every other night, he sat next to her telling her how his day was, what was happening with their friends, their pets, and then, as usual, he would pray that she'll wake up soon. 

 

 

However, that night wasn't like the past ones. That night, his prayers finally became true... Sandara finally woke up.

 

 

It was 10 p.m, he was sitting next to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter