Favours

Fragments

Moon Byulyi was standing by the door with a faint smile plastered on her lips.

"Byulyi unnie? Come inside." The apartment's owner invited her in.

"Sorry for bothering you at this ungodly hour." She grinned sheepishly.

"If it weren't you, I would've ignored them," the woman gave Moonbyul a dimpled-smile. "What brings you here? Didn't you tell me you have a date with Yongsun unnie?"

"A date?" Moonbyul snorted at Wheein's question, her eyes were burned with a hint of melancholy.

Sensing an unwanted event which might have had occurred earlier, Wheein grabbed the taller girl by her arms and dragged her to the couch. They had developed such strong level of understanding that no spoken words were needed to look through each other. She did not pry further. Patienly, she waited for Moonbyul to calm down before opening up.

Moonbyul slowly took a deep breath. She had to swallow a lump of repressed emotions which she had hold back since Yongsun announced her relationship.

"Yong...she has..."

Wheein was more than aware of what Moonbyul meant even though she could only manage to say those three words. She did not want her dear friend to suffer by explaining miserable things, so she interrupted, "She still doesn't know about your true feelings?"

"No. Not a chance."

"What about your present?"

The older girl took Wheein's hand and put the box into her palm. "Here. You can keep it."

"This is not mine. I can't keep it."

"Wheein-ah, please. Just do this simple favour for me."

"Why?"

"It is no longer of use, isn't it?" Moonbyul replied while chuckling bitterly.

For the next few moments, they locked gazes, giving time for Wheein to study the other girl. From the corner of Wheein's eyes, she could clearly see that Moonbyul was trying her best to choke her tears back. 

The silence tensing in the room was as cold as the winter wind creeping from the slightly open window. Instead of caressing them with a gentle breeze, the silence scratched their skins roughly. It was far from comfortable. 

"I have one more thing to ask," Moonbyul finally broke the quiteness. She continued, "Don't tell Yongsun about this present."

"But-"

"No buts," she cut off, "promise me?"

"You can count on me," Wheein had to reply with a heavy heart. "Will you be fine?"

Moonbyul looked away and just shrugged the question off. "I gotta go. Thanks for hearing me out." By that being said, Moonbyul got up from her seat and rushed toward the door. She did not even spare a glance to Wheein as she did not want her friend to witness her weak side further.

Finally, Wheein heaved a sigh. She let her friend go as she pleased since she knew Moonbyul needed time to sort her mind out. It was inevitable for Wheein to feel apologetic toward Moonbyul because she acknowledged very well how the latter have always loved Yongsun secretly. She was there by Moonbyul's side whenever the latter needed the push and encouragement. She realised she would not be able to break their promises, however, there was one way she could manage to help Moonbyul. That was the least she could do to brighten her friend's life .

 

***

 

Wheein bite her nail impatiently. "Yah, what takes you forever to pick up?"

"Sorry, Wheeinie. Duty calls. What's up?"

"Hyejin-ah, please do me a favour."

"Can't you be more straightforward?"

"Geez, it is a matter of life and death."

"What happens to your cat?"

"What? No- it's about a friend of mine who made a reservation at your restaurant."

"Ah, that handsome girl who had dinner with her chubby girlfriend?"

"She is not her girlfriend yet, but... yes."

"What can I do to help?"

"It's not about me, but them. I need you to call the chubby girl and ask her to take something which the handsome girl had clumsily left in their table."

"As far as I could remember, there was nothing remained on their table though."

"Gosh, can't you tell I make up the story? What do you say?"

"It's a piece of cake to take the matters into my own hand, but what benefits can I get by doing so?"

"Really, Ahn Hyejin? I thought you are my best partner in crime?"

"I don't know, things change. Maybe you should consider to persuade someone else-"

"Alright, hold up. Will a movie date cover it up?"

"It sounds like a plan."

"Great. Then, let me fill you in about them."