To Yongsun

Fragments

Rays of sunshine peeked shyly through the curtains in Yongsun's bed room. The warmth caressed the sleepy girl from deep slumber. If it wasn't for a constant ringing her phone blasted, she would not bother to wake up and roll her body to the other side of her bed. She reached out a hand to a bedside table and pick up the phone.

"Hello? Am I speaking to Miss Kim Yongsun?" The person from the other line greeted with a slightly nervous voice.

"Yeah," Yongsun muttered with a husky morning voice almost inaudibly.

"Good morning, Miss Kim. I deeply apologize to bother you. I am Ahn Hyejin, the manager of Rainbow Restaurant. Miss Moonbyulyi made a reservation for a table of two a couple of weeks ago. I assumed both of you must've had dinner here last night."

"Rainbow...? The Italian restaurant? Oh yes. We celebrated my birthday there. How can I help you?"

"There was something left on your table when my staff clened it up. I believe it is of your possessions. I wanted to inform Miss Moon Byulyi instead since the table was under her name, but I couldn't reach her. It was fortunate she also filled in your contact. If it's convenient, would you like to take the thing today? I will keep it safe until you retrieve it."

Yongsun kept silent for a brief second. She remembered she had to go back home in a hurry because her boyfriend suddenly fetched her, leaving her best friend behind. She was sure she had all her belongings in her bag so she concluded it must belong to Moonbyul.

"May I know what is it?"

"I'm sorry, Ma'am. I don't know either since it is neatly wrapped."

Yongsun briefly paused. She pondered over she should be going or asking Moonbyul about it. She was not sure why her impulsiveness kicked in before she replied, "Alright, thank you, Miss Ahn. I'll be there at lunch."

---

It was a little after 12 when Yongsun arrived at Rainbow Restaurant. There were only several customers enjoying their late brunch or early lunch. She ordered a coffee latte while waiting for the manager. 

A few minutes later, a young woman in a matching black pantsuit approached where Yongsun was. "Good morning, Miss Kim?"

Yongsun looked up to the voice. She read the nametag hang on the woman's chest. "Good morning, Manager Ahn."

"Once again, I apologize for the inconvenience." Hyejin offered a smile.

"No problem. I've got plenty of time to spare."

"So, here it is." Hyejin placed a small wooden box with a ribbon bow on the table.

"Oh, thank you."

"No, Ma'am. It is part of our duty." She continued, "I think that is all. If you need anything, you can call me or the staff anytime. Please have a pleasant day."

"Sure."

---

While taking a generous sip of her coffee, Yongsun carefully lifted the box which fitted perfectly in the palm of her hand. Her brows furrowed while her eyes squinted as she scrutinised it. What could it be? She mumbled to herself. She knew she should not unwrap it since it was not hers, but curiousity got the best of her. Moonbyul would tell me later. I am her best friend anyway and we don't keep secrets from each other. It should be fine if I open it. She reasoned out.

After debating with herself for some time, she finally resigned to her curiousity. She untied the ribbon slowly. Holding her breath, she opened the lid.

A gasp escaped Yongsun's mouth once she saw a silver ring securely tucked inside. It was  a simple yet elegant ring, just perfect to her preference. She observed the ring and noticed it was carved with two words: "Moon's Sun". Who is the Sun to the Moon? Unreasonably, she could feel a tight knot in her stomach as a strange feeling biting and gnawing at her chest. She could not put a finger on either a mixed feelings which engulfed her now or what made her on the verge of crying. Her mind wandered to the unknown land of possibilities and insecurities. What if Moonbyul has someone other than me who occupies her heart? What if Moonbyul leaves me for other girl? As ridiculous as it was, Yongsun hated to admit that their relationship was limited to a certain boundary. They were just best friend. Period. Besides, she already had a stable boyfriend so she'd better not meddle with Moonbyul's love life. She should be the number one supporter, not a possessive friend.

After some time of calming down, Yongsun took a deep breath and observed the box once again. Only this time something caught her eye. Under the top lid, a folded paper was attached. With a shaky hand she unfolded and read it quickly.

Yongsun had her eyes widened. Her heart pounded in her chest with each passing second.

It came as a bolt from the blue, catching her off guard. On the paper, it was written:

To Yongsun,
Will you be my Sun?
- Your Moon

 


Author's Note:

"Fragments" was supposed to be a oneshot story, however, I just had an urge to write this. It might or might not be continued, so you'd better not have any expectations lol~