Chapter 1

Operation Black-Out (Semi-Hiatus)
Please log in to read the full chapter

Nayeon was lying in bed as the morning sun shine through the windows. She struggles to open her eyes from the blinding light and pushes herself up to sit on the bed, feeling the familiar throbbing in her head, she turned to see a bottle of aspirins and a glass of water on top of the drawer with a sticky note stuck next to it.

'Take some of these for your hangover :)'

The neat handwriting sent guilt flooding over Nayeon's form as she buries her face into her palms. Quickly popping two of the pills into , she headed to wash up and get ready for the day.

 

Mina goes to work early almost every day, working in a popular cafe automatically means that there will be minimum rest days and working long shifts, and especially so with the holiday season coming up. Seeing Nayeon's state last night made Mina worried, her unnie rarely gets so drunk she was literally sobbing all over her last night when she came back and refused to let her go as they cuddled to sleep. In Mina's eyes, Nayeon was always a tough cookie; an older sister she can depend on, one who ensures that she will be fine when they go to the doctor, or one who will step up for her and voice out her opinions when she's too soft. Mina must admit that it was difficult to see Nayeon in her weak times, but it also reminds her that her unnie is only human, and she breaks sometimes too. Smiling to herself, Mina mentally took note to text Nayeon later to check on her.

"Why are you smiling to yourself?" Jeongyeon appears behind the younger, breaking her out of her reverie.

Surprised by the sudden appearance, Mina jumped on the spot and held her hand in front of her chest.

"Oh god, you will give me a heart attack!" Mina squeaked while she slapped Jeongyeon on her shoulder.

"Heart attack?! Where are your meds?!" Jeongyeon said frantically as she reached over to Mina's pockets to look for her medication.

"They're in my bag and," Mina held onto Jeongyeon's wrist, "I'm not really having one now, it's a metaphor."

"Thank Jihyo you're fine." Jeongyeon let out a sigh of relief as she placed her hands together.

"Ji-what?" Mina asks while cocking a single brow.

"Oh, nothing. Let's get ready for opening." And the two proceeded to put on their aprons and got ready for the start of the day.

 

As Nayeon walked towards the kitchen, two lunch boxes are placed on the table, one labelled as breakfast, the other as lunch. Smiling at Mina’s thoughtfulness, Nayeon poured herself a glass of milk before settling down to have her breakfast.

It’s been two weeks since the start of their new mission, and Nayeon is finally getting used to her role as Mina’s elder sister, step sister to be exact since the identity given is a pair of step sisters whose parents died in a plane crash. Ironic how the supposed strongest team in The Organisation got assigned to such petty job as collecting information on a rising gang in a small town. The gang is known as The Underground, an illegal organisation known to be doing money laundering, human trafficking and black-market business, which means, they do whatever earns them quick cash. Taking the final bite of her sandwich, Nayeon put on her coat before heading out. She has been assigned to infiltrate the gang to collect intel on The Underground and send her findings to Jihyo. While Jeongyeon collects information through observation as most people talk about anything and everything in a café. Jihyo is the team leader, hacking into The Underground’s network with the help of Nayeon from the inside. And Mina, she’s a Sleeper, only activated when necessary.

 

The bell on the door rang as a group of guys dressed in black enters the café, all ordering black coffee as they start discussing something about their next run to collect people. Jeongyeon just listens as she makes their coffee for them, avoiding eye contact as much as possible in case these guys realise that Jeongyeon is eavesdropping. Giving her brightest smile, Jeongyeon passed the coffee to the guys and watched their backs as they exit the café.

Another bell rang again, this time enters a beautiful lady with a bob cut and dark circles appears under her eyes. Suddenly standing nearer to Mina as the girl walks up to make her order.

“Welcome! What you like to have today, pretty girl?” Jeongyeon greets cheerfully before Mina could open .

“Hi Jeong, hi Mina.” The girl greets back before letting out a tired yawn.

“Erm… Hi, how do you know my name?” Mina asked suspiciously as the girl freezes as she lets out a nervous laugh. Pointing to Mina’s nametag, she replied, “It’s written here. And I’ve heard a lot about you from Jeong.” Giving Mina her brightest smile, she turned to the nervously sweating Jeongyeon and ordered a vanilla latte.

“Oh, errr meet my girlfriend, Jihyo.” Rubbing the back of her neck nervously Jeongyeon pointed to the girl by the counter and turned to Mina.

“Ohhh… I see, hi Jihyo, nice to meet you!” Showing off her gummy smile Mina proceeded to key in Jihyo’s order as she swatted Jeongyeon to go make the drink.

As Jeongyeon passed Jihyo her order, Jeongyeon warned Jihyo about blowing her cover and that she should be more careful around Mina. Seeing Jeongyeon being close to her girlfriend made Mina smile warmly at their interaction; how Jeongyeon will reach out to remove the stray strands of hair from Jihyo’s face or when she scolds Jihyo for not putting on enough layers i

Please log in to read the full chapter