Day 09 - December 22

Where the Heart is

Day 09: December 22nd

 

Busan

 

Yujin ended the call on her cell phone and placed it on the bed. She looked at the papers that were scattered all over her hotel bed and sighed.

 

She never thought that there was so much to do. She had talked to her editor earlier about the arrangements for her departure, and then she had called her landlord about terminating the lease on her apartment. And she had just now finished arranging the details for her move with a moving company.

 

She looked at her notebook and crossed off the item that read, "Movers".

 

She knew that Minju was not happy about her staying at a hotel instead of Minju’s house, but there were so many things that Yujin needed to take care of without Minju being around.
 

Yujin looked at the time on the front of her cell phone and realized that it was almost time for her to meet Minju. She quickly gathered the documents and placed them neatly in a pile on the desk.

 

Yujin had convinced Minju to take a break from the supermarket and go on a date with her. Since Minju could not go out in the evening because to her grandfather, the two of them decided to go on a shopping date in the afternoon instead.

 

Yujin went to the bathroom to freshen up before quickly leaving her hotel room. Thirty minutes later, she arrived at the shopping mall. She walked to the meeting spot to find Minju sitting on a bench by herself looking at her phone. The older woman was crying and was using her hand to wipe away her tears. Upon seeing this, Yujin quickly walked over and sat down next to Minju.

 

"Minju, what's wrong? Why are you crying?"

 

"Yujinie!" Minju threw her arms around Yujin and hugged the taller woman tightly.

 

"Minju?" Yujin started to rub Minju's back, trying to comfort her girlfriend.

 

"It’s so sad!"

 

"What’s so sad?" Yujin asked in confusion.

 

Minju held up her phone. “This story I read. The two main characters love each so much but they cannot be together due to circumstances.”

 

Yujin gently wiped away the tears from Minju's face with her finger. "You are such a cry baby!"

 

“The story is just so tragic!”

 

Yujin shook her head in amusement. "Okay, there is a cafe over there. How about I buy you a cup of coffee to make you feel better?"

 

"Yujinie is the best!"

 

"Come on, you big baby!"

 

The two of them got up from the bench and walked over to the cafe. A few minutes later, Yujin walked out of the shop with a happy and satisfied Minju.

 

"This coffee is so good!" Minju drank another sip of her coffee. "Want to try, Yujin?"

 

Yujin shook her head. "I'm good."

 

The two of them walked around the crowded mall, taking in the festive mood.

 

"So, what did you get me for Christmas?" Minju asked.

 

"I'm not going to tell you."

 

"Yujinie..."

 

"Minju..." Yujin copied Minju's tone of voice.

 

"Fine, be that way!" Minju answered with a pout.

 

"You will find out soon enough anyway." Yujin looked at the Christmas decorations around them and sighed softly. "It's almost Christmas."

 

"I can't wait to find out what you have gotten me! But I know that I will love it anyway."

 

"Why are you so sure?"

 

"Because it's from you! I love anything from you!"

 

Yujin smiled weakly as she remembered the news she still had to deliver to Minju.

 

"Come on, Yujinie, let's go look at the puppies!"

 

Minju took Yujin's hand and started to pull her towards the pet store.

 

Yujin decided to just enjoy the time she got to spend with Minju now, and worry about the other things later.

 

It's been awhile since they had been out like this, so she was going to treasure it.