Day 12 - December 25

Where the Heart is

Day 12: December 25th

 

Busan 

 

Yujin looked at Minju in surprise. "What did you say?"

 

"I know it’s time to let you go." Minju whispered. "I have been so selfish, keeping you here with me and holding you back from achieving your dreams."

 

"What are you talking about?"

 

"You are going to London soon."

 

"How did you know about London?"

 

"Yena-unnie told me."

 

"What? Yena-unnie..."

 

"Don't deny it! I just heard you talking to the moving company."

 

Yujin paused then let out a soft sigh.

 

"Yes, you are right. I'm leaving Seoul, but I'm not going to London." Yujin placed her hands on Minju's cheek and gently lifted her head up so she could look into the latter’s eyes. "I'm coming back to Busan, back to you."

 

"What?" It was Minju's turn to look surprised.

 

"I've rejected the promotion and I have also resigned from my job."

 

"Why?"

 

"Because I don't want to be away from you anymore."

 

"But that is your dream job! It’s the job you have been wanting for so long! You were so happy when you first got the job!”

 

“Yes, I was very happy but then I realize that I can’t be fully happy if you are not there with me.”

 

“Yujin…”

 

“Do you remember a few weeks ago, I had told you that my editor really loved one of my articles?”

 

Minju nodded.

 

"The reason I was able to write that article so well was because of you."

 

"What do you mean?"

 

"Do you still remember you had come and visited me in Seoul a few months ago?" Minju nodded again. "You had cooked for me and cleaned my apartment, and then you were tired so you fell asleep on my couch. I was actually stuck on the article then, but then I saw you, sleeping so peacefully on my couch, and I felt calm and at ease. The words started to come to me and the ideas just flowed. I was able to write a great article because of you! You are my muse!"

 

Minju remained silent as Yujin continued.

 

“Yes, this promotion is a dream come true and I've wanted it since I started at the company, but what's the point of taking the promotion if you are not there to enjoy it with me?”

 

Yujin leaned forward and touched her forehead against Minju’s. “I don’t want us to be apart anymore, Minju.”

 

Minju closed her eyes and enjoyed the feel of the younger woman’s touch. “Yujinie…”

 

“I’m really sorry that I didn’t tell you the news myself.”

 

Minju opened her eyes. “Why didn’t you tell me?”

 

"I wasn't sure how you were going to take the news. I know you aren’t going to be happy about my resignation."

 

“I’m not happy that you have to resign from your job, but I’m really happy that you will be home from now on.”

 

“This is actually just part of your Christmas present.”

 

“Part of my present? There is more?” Minju asked eagerly.

 

“How about a coffee maker?”

 

“Yujinie!”

 

Yujin chuckled and pulled the two of them up from the ground. “It’s late, we should go to bed.”

 

The two of them walked into Minju’s room and got into bed. Yujin covered them with the blanket and they snuggled close together.

 

“Merry Christmas, Yujin.” Minju whispered softly before closing her eyes.

 

“Merry Christmas.” Yujin placed a soft kiss Minju’s forehead. “Good night.”

 

They both fell asleep very quickly with a smile on their faces. That night was the best sleep neither of them had in a long while.

 

The following day, Yuri, Eunbi, Yena and Wonyoung had arrived at Minju’s house for their annual Christmas party.

 

As soon as they had arrived, Yena immediately apologized to Yujin for spilling her secret to Minju. Yujin had accepted the apology since she realized she should have told Yena and Wonyoung about her decision from the beginning.

 

They had now settled in the living room as they waited for Hitomi to arrive. Yujin and Minju were taking the food out from the kitchen as Yena was pouring drinks for everyone.

 

"Would you like some juice, Yuri-ssi?" Yena asked.

 

"Thank you, Yena-ssi." Yuri smiled sweetly at Yena.

 

"Ah... It's nothing." Yena's face was turning red.

 

She picked up the bottle and started to pour the juice into Yuri’s cup. She poured it too quickly and some liquid had spilled onto Yuri's shirt.

 

"I'm so sorry!" Yena apologized.

 

Yuri shook her head softly. "It's okay."

 

Yena quickly grabbed a napkin and started to wipe the stain that was on the front of Yuri's shirt.

 

"Wow, Yena-unnie, I didn't know that you had it in you!" Wonyoung said as she tried to hold back her laughter.

 

Yena looked at Wonyoung and then back at Yuri. She then realized where her hand was and her face turned even redder than before.

 

"I'm… I’m… So… So sorry." She stuttered.

 

"Don't worry about it." Yuri chuckled, finding Yena very cute. "It's okay. I’m going to go the washroom and clean it up."

 

Wonyoung who was watching the scene with an amusing grin nudged Yujin softly. “Someone will be visiting Busan a lot from now on.”

 

Yujin smiled and nodded in agreement. Just then, the doorbell rang.

 

“It must be Hitomi.” Minju said as she walked towards the front door. “Let me go open the door.”

 

“So, did the two of you enjoy your time in Busan?” Eunbi asked the two guests from Seoul.

 

“I love it! The food here is the best I’ve ever had!” Wonyoung replied with a big smile.

 

Yena shook her head in amusement. “All you think about is food.”

 

“You just don’t have the same appreciation for food.”

 

Yujin laughed at her two co-workers as Minju walked into the living room with Hitomi and a petite woman.

 

Minju noticed that Yuri had walked back to the room and gestured to her excitedly. “Yuri, look who Hii-chan has brought with her!”

 

“Nako!” Yuri answered in surprise. “You are back in town?”

 

“I just got back to Korea last night.”

 

“Nako-chan, let me introduce you to Minju’s friends.” Hitomi pointed to Yena and Wonyoung. “This is Choi Yena and Jang Wonyoung. And standing next to them is Ahn Yujin.”

 

“Oh, you are Minguri’s girlfriend.” Nako commented as she recognized Yujin’s name.

 

“You have been hanging around Eunbi-unnie far too much, Nako.” Minju shook her head at Nako’s usage of her nickname.

 

“It’s very nice to meet you all.” Nako bowed. “My name is Yabuki Nako.”

 

Nako walked over to where the three friends were standing and shook their hands. When Nako was standing in between Yujin and Wonyoung, Eunbi suddenly burst out laughing.

 

“I’m sorry, but am I the only one who’s noticing the height difference?”

 

Nako looked up and realized she was standing between the two giants. She immediately stepped back and went back to where Hitomi was standing.

 

“Okay, remind me to never stand between the two of you again.” Nako grumbled.

 

“It’s okay, Nako-chan.” Hitomi gave her friend a hug. “We still love you!”

 

Everyone in the room laughed.

 

“Okay everybody, stop standing around!” Eunbi spoke up. “Let’s get this party started!”

 

Everyone looked at each other and laughed. They started to dig into the food Yujin and Minju had prepared. During the party, Yena was making everyone laughed with her stories. She was also discovering that she had a lot in common with Yuri. It was a great party and everyone had a wonderful time.

 

The party ended a few hours later. After everyone had left, Yujin and Minju lay on the couch. The television was on, but neither of them were paying attention to it. Yujin’s arm was wrapped around Minju while Minju snuggled close to the taller woman’s body.

 

“Yujinie?” Minju suddenly spoke up.

 

“Hmm?”

 

“What are you going to be doing now that you have resigned from your job?” Minju looked at Yujin. “Are you going to be looking for a job here?”

 

Yujin shook her head. “I’ve already found the perfect job.”

 

“What kind of job is it?” Minju asked, feeling very curious about the job.

 

Yujin reached into her pocket and pulled out a business card. She handed the card to Minju.

 

“S & H Magazine creator, Kang Hyewon?” Minju read from the card.

 

“I met Hyewon-ssi in a ramen shop and we ended up chattering with each other. She is a very easy person to talk to and she actually reminds me a lot of you.” Yujin poked softly at Minju’s cheeks. “When I told her that I will be moving back to Busan, she asked me if I wanted to write articles for her e-magazine. I thought it would be interesting and it will also give me free time to help you with Halabeoji and the supermarket.”

 

“Yujin, you don’t have to worry about me. I’m okay.”

 

“You keep too much burden to yourself, Minju. I know that you don’t want anybody to worry about you, but you know that you can lean on Yuri, Hii-chan and I, right?”

 

Minju paused then nodded slowly. “I’m sorry if I’ve made you worry about me.”

 

“Just let me help you from now on?”

 

“Okay.”

 

Yujin placed a kiss on Minju’s temple. “I have already talked with Hyewon-ssi and her partner, Sakura-ssi and they said that I can start once I have settled back in Busan.”

 

“I will support you in whatever you do.”

 

“Minju, do you think Halabeoji will mind if I move in to live with you?”

 

Minju’s face lit up. “Of course not! Halabeoji loves you too!”

 

“What about you, are you okay with it? If you don’t want me to move in with you, I can look for an apartment in town.”

 

“No, I don’t want you to go anywhere! I want you to stay here with me.” Minju wrapped both of arms around Yujin’s body and pressed her face against Yujin’s chest.

 

“Minju…”

 

Minju looked up at Yujin. “I want your face to be last thing that I see when I go to sleep each night and first thing that I will see when I open my eyes each morning.”

 

Yujin smiled softly. “I’d like that too.”

 

Minju reached up and kissed Yujin gently. “I love you, Yujinie.”

 

“I love you, too.”

 

Minju closed her eyes and listened to the steady sound of Yujin’s heartbeat. Yujin rubbed Minju’s back gently as she breathed in Minju’s soothing scent. The two of them continued to sit on the couch, just enjoying each other company.

 

After some time had passed, Yujin realized that they should prepare for bed.

 

“Minju?” Yujin looked down at Minju and realized the other woman had fallen asleep in her arms.

 

Yujin’s expression softened as she stared at the peaceful look that was on Minju’s face. A wave of calmness washed over her.

 

Kang Hyewon was right.

 

Home was where the heart was.

 

For Ahn Yujin, home was where Kim Minju was.

 

END

 

A/N: Thank you so much for reading this story! I hope that you had enjoyed the story!

 

I'm currently in the process of writing another minjin/jinjoo story that I'm hoping to post in the beginning of next year. Please look forward to that! After that story, then I will go back to finishing Always by Your Side. Lastly let me know how you feel about this story either here or on twitter (@woodstock_000)!

 

Merry Christmas everyone!