Day 02 - December 15

Where the Heart is

Day 02: December 15th

 

Seoul

 

Ahn Yujin placed the cup of coffee on the desk and sat down in her seat. She had not been sleeping well lately as there were a lot on her mind. She picked up the picture frame that was on her desk and traced a finger around Minju’s face.

 

She had been really busy lately, so she had not been back to Busan in about 2 months. She had really missed Minju.

 

"Good morning, Yujin!"

 

Yujin looked up as her two co-workers, Choi Yena and Jang Wonyoung, sat down at their desks.

 

"Good morning Yena-unnie, Wonyoungie."

 

Yujin, Yena and Wonyoung worked as junior writers at a lifestyle magazine in Seoul. The three of them had entered the company around the same and had become good friends very quickly. Yena had a bubbly personality. There was never a dull moment when she was around. Wonyoung, on the other hand, was a very responsible person and she would always try to help other people. However, unfortunately for her, most of her attempts would end up failing, hence making her the perfect victim of Yena's jokes.

 

"There's just about 10 days until Christmas! I'm so excited!" Yena said happily.

 

Wonyoung shook her head in amusement as Yena started to hum a Christmas carol.

 

Just then, their editor, Lee Jaeseop, walked out of his office and saw the three of them. 

 

"Ah, the three of you are here early."

 

"Good morning, Jaeseop-ssi!"

 

"Ah, Yujin-ssi, may I have a word please?" Jaeseop asked.

 

Yujin nodded and walked into his office.

 

Yena waited until the door was closed before turning to Wonyoung. "Did you hear about Yujin's promotion?"

 

Wonyoung shook her head. "What promotion?"

 

"The upper management is really impressed with Yujin’s last couple of articles, so they have offered her a higher position in the London office."

 

"London, England?" Wonyoung asked with a shocked expression.

 

"How many Londons do you know?" Yena rolled her eyes in response to Wonyoung's silly question. "Of course, London, England."

 

"Wow!" Wonyoung was really impressed.

 

"Are you sad now?"

 

"What do you mean?"

 

"Your crush is going to be leaving Seoul."

 

"I... I have... no idea... what you are... talking about." Wonyoung stuttered.

 

"Yeah, right." Yena smirked. "Do you have no shame? Having a crush on a woman who's already taken."

 

"Stop it! I don't have a crush on Yujin-unnie!" Wonyoung denied, her face turning red. "And besides, like you said, she already has a girlfriend."

 

"I'm just teasing you. You are so gullible."

 

"Yena-unnie, do you think Yujin-unnie will take the promotion?"

 

"It will be really hard for her to turn it down. I mean it's like a dream come true." Yena replied. "The only downside is that it will take her even further away from her girlfriend."

 

Wonyoung nodded in agreement as Yujin walked out of Jaeseop's office and returned to her seat. Yujin remained quiet as Yena and Wonyoung shared a look.

 

"Hey Wonyoung, let's go grab a coffee before work starts!" Yena spoke up.

 

"Okay." Wonyoung turned to Yujin. "Do you need anything, unnie?"

 

Yujin shook her head. "I'm fine. I already have my coffee."

 

"Okay then, we'll be right back." Wonyoung picked up her purse and left the room with Yena.

 

Yujin looked at the clock and realized she still had a bit of time before she had to start working. So, she picked up her cell phone and dialled a familiar number. After a few rings, someone picked up the phone.

 

"Hello?"

 

"Minju?"

 

"Yujin!"

 

Yujin smiled when she heard the voice of her girlfriend. She felt calm and at ease listening to Minju's voice. "I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to call you yesterday."

 

"That's fine! I know that you are really busy."

 

"How is Halabeoji doing?"

 

"He's been doing better the last couple of days." Minju paused before adding softly. "Yujinie, I miss you."

 

"I miss you too, Minju." Yujin felt a tight bang in her heart. "I'm sorry but I don't know if I can come home for Christmas yet."

 

"Don't worry, I will wait for you." Minju whispered softly.

 

"Thanks, Minju." Yujin let out a soft sigh and decided to change the topic. "So, what are you doing today?"

 

"Today? Hmm, I have an appointment with a new supplier. They specialize in instant noodles."

 

"Instant noodles? So, you get to do some taste testing then?"

 

"Yup and I think that they have some really interesting flavours so I'm looking forward to that." The usual enthusiasm returned to Minju's voice. "But then afterwards, I have to attend the community business owners' meeting. The meeting is going to be looong. Last time, the meeting took three hours..."

 

Yujin picked up the picture frame again. She looked at Minju’s face in the photograph as she continued to listen to Minju talked with a smile on her face.