Chapter 3

Lonesome Fathers
Please log in to read the full chapter

When Jongin was younger he had never imagined himself doing things like this. Being so domestic.

Sure, he knew he’d have to look after himself - but tidying up the house every day, actually going grocery shopping? That was something he hadn’t quite imagined himself doing.

Not that he’d ever complain. After all, he did those things more for Jongdae than for himself. And he loved his baby boy so he was glad to be able to take care of him.

 

Still, it amused him to think back to his teenage dreams.

 

He had wanted to be an idol. To dance and sing until the whole world knew who Kim Jongin - or Kai as he and Soojung had decided was a cooler more edgy name - was.

He didn’t exactly become an idol. And while many would say that it was a pity and assume that he was unhappy, in reality it was quite the opposite.

 

Jongin had taken a different path after Jongdae was born, and instead of walking into the spotlights he decided to work behind the scenes. As a choreographer.

He quickly became very famous in that field and got the opportunity to open up his own dance studio. Obviously he knew he couldn’t do it alone and so Jongin called Oh Sehun, one of his best friends to work with him.

Now they both ran the studio, and the younger of the two liked to say they were businessmen. But Jongin would never take his job that seriously. He was aware that they were, in fact, businessmen but the word sounded so strict and lifeless and boring. He refused to call himself that.

 

To him, he was just Kim Jongin, choreographer and father.

 

Speaking of which, he had not stopped gushing about his son to Sehun. The moment he called his associate, Jongin had immediately begun telling him all about how it was Jongdae’s first day at preschool and how the little boy had been so exited.

Despite pretending to be annoyed at him, Jongin knew Sehun was loving every minute of it. The blond man was very weak for Jongdae and like Jongin, would be reliving preschool vicariously through the little boy.

 

Throughout the day, as Jongin went about his tasks, he would find himself thinking about the man he met in the morning. There was something very interesting about him.

 

He wasn’t sure if it was the man’s voice, so soft and smooth and warm, but carrying a hint of sadness in it. Or if it was his face, sculptured with a sharp jawline, big eyes and heart-shaped lips. But something about him had caught Jongin’s interest.

 

Which was silly, after all they had just met. And barely spoke to one another. Why would he be thinking about that man anyway?

 

The choreographer mulled over those thoughts for a while before realising it was time to pick up Jongdae from school.

 

That made him perk up a little.

 

He was very excited to hear everything about Jongdae’s day, from his introduction to his classmates to nap time and what dreams did he have. No mater how tiny, every little experience was important to Jongin.

 

The walk to school seemed to take longer than usual and Jongin grew more excited. He missed his baby, and he couldn’t wait to cuddle him up and hear all about his

Please log in to read the full chapter