one.

Descension

In a world where IQ points can be transferred by murder, it probably wasn’t a wise idea to suggest killing someone during an exam.

The senior definitely meant it as a joke, judging by the nervous way her eyes dart around when no one laughs. “Come on, guys.” She giggles anxiously, attempting to alleviate the tension. “I’d take one for the team, who’s with me?”

Silence. Then, quietly, a freshman speaks up. “Does that mean…” She hesitates, glancing quickly at the professor. “If we all participated in… that, wouldn’t we all split the points? Then there wouldn’t be much profit in it.”

Somehow, ease flows back into the atmosphere of the room, and Jinhwan lets out a shaky breath, one that he hadn’t known he was even holding. He knows the senior, she’s in his astronomy classes. Kim Myungeun isn’t the most socially-proficient person, but he never would have thought that she could make such a terrifying joke.

“Well thought-out, Jungeun.” Professor Shin, a chubby, friendly man, scribbles something down on a clipboard and glances at his watch. “The bell’s going to ring any second now. Nice discussion, everyone.” He breaks off, suddenly serious. “Remember, what happens in the classroom…”

“Stays in the classroom.” The students’ answer is unanimous. Professor Shin nods, satisfied, and waves them away.

As he walks out the door, Jinhwan curses the school system with all his heart. Seminar classes, one each year, are required credits for graduation even though they’re pretty much just a waste of time. And even worse, students from all four grade levels are mixed within each class, supposedly ‘to improve under- and upperclassmen relations’ and ‘to expand knowledge through various social interactions’. Bull. Jinhwan hates dealing with anyone not in his own grade. It’s already bad enough explaining why he’s an entire year older than all the other seniors; he would rather not talk about it to stupid freshmen.

The weather is beautiful today, all blue sky and sunshine. Jinhwan pushes the angry thoughts away and heads towards the dining hall. Maybe they’ll have sushi today, like they always say but never actually do. Oh well. He’ll manage.

***

Seminar Group Chat

Park Jihoon: Was there homework?

Park Jihoon: He mentioned something when I was leaving but I didn’t catch it.

luda lee: dont think so

Minari: nope

Jacob ur BAE: no

myungeun: hey guys i’m sorry for what i said during class

myungeun: i wasn’t really thinking, and i’m sorry for being so insensitive

Yuqi Song: You’re good!

Gyuri: just making sure lol you were joking right

myungeun: yeah

Jinhwan Kim: just be careful what you say

Jinhwan Kim: we cover so many controversial topics in that class

Jinhwan Kim: he literally told us that we could get kicked out

Hwanhee: Aw, but she was joking anyway! Does it have to be that serious? :(

jungshook: actually it can be

jungshook: dont question ur elders u literal child

Jinhwan chuckles, setting his phone down to eat. There was no sushi after all, but he made do with chow mein. It’s not too bad, he supposes, slurping up the oily noodles. Just a little dry.

Suddenly, a backpack plops down across from him. Jinhwan looks up, startled, only to come face to face with a boy in the seminar class he just left. Im Changkyun is another senior, his freshman year roommate. He rarely talks but somehow manages to get amazing grades anyway. Jinhwan envies him.

“What did you think about that discussion?”

The abrupt question - and the underlying urgency in Changkyun’s voice - takes Jinhwan by surprise. They haven’t talked in a long time, not since sophomore year, when they were paired with different roommates. But from that one short year, Jinhwan knows that there are very little things on this planet that could make Changkyun so excited as this, and that in itself scares him.

“Why?” he shoots back, keeping his voice calm and neutral. “It was interesting. How did you feel about it?”

Changkyun doesn’t say anything, only studies Jinhwan’s face. Then, after a while, he says, slowly, “We could do it, you know. She technically gave us permission.”

Jinhwan’s shaking his head no before Changkyun even finishes his sentence. “Murder is illegal, my friend.” He keeps his eyes trained on his food, swirling his fork through the noodles. “It was also clearly a joke.”

“Check the chat.” Without asking, Changkyun grabs Jinhwan’s phone and presses the home button. “Wow, you’ve used the same password for four years.”

“Eight, actually.” He doesn’t much care about what Changkyun wants to show him, but after he reads the conversation in the chat, Jinhwan’s blood freezes.

Seminar Group Chat (without Myungeun)

Jacob ur BAE: hey y’all i made a new chat to talk about murder

sowon kim: why? it’s not like we’re actually going to do it

Minari has left the chat

jungshook: #youknowihadtodoittoem

Gyuri: omg stfu

Im Changkyun: You up pda is disgusting

Nayoung Im has left the chat

sowon kim has left the chat

Gyuri: uh stfu Calvin Klein ur not my bf

Hwanhee: LMAO CK

luda lee: are we fr doing this

Park Jihoon has left the chat

Jennie Ruby Jane: o is this the new trend

Jennie Ruby Jane: we have a test next week

Jennie Ruby Jane: better get cracking

He doesn’t read all of it, but by the end, Jinhwan gathers that at least half the class is on board with murdering Kim Myungeun for her IQ points. The chow mein doesn’t sit well in his stomach anymore, and Jinhwan closes his eyes, forcing himself to take deep breaths.

“What do you say?” Changkyun’s voice is soft, almost dangerous, and Jinhwan shudders. He waves a hand, indicating whatever, and Changkyun lets out a short, amused huff. “I’ll take that as a yes.”

No, that was clearly a no. But Jinhwan can’t bring himself to say those words, even when Changkyun sends a message as Jinhwan Kim, agreeing to participate in the murder. When he does finally open his mouth, what comes out is, “How do you know we won’t get caught?”

Changkyun smirks, and that’s exactly when Jinhwan knows he’s made a mistake.


the other idols in the story don't really matter