Chapter 2.5: The Grey Sweater

Don't Take Off The Sweater

Ahn Yujin is a dumb. Dumb enough to spilled ramyeon soup on Kahyeon’s favorite sweater. She knew she should run away, but it’s already too late.

 

“AHN YUJIN!!!”

 

A slightly chubby girl yelled at Yujin, she was furious. But in Yujin’s eyes, no matter how angry Kahyeon is, she still looked cute.

 

She clasped her hands, asking for forgiveness.

 

“I’m sorry~ Please forgive me~” Ahn Yujin pleaded. She tried to be serious, but seeing Kahyeon’s cute face made her couldn’t be serious.

“Everyone’s looking at us, don’t you feel ashamed? Just forgive me already~’ Ahn Yujin continued. Kahyeon is her best friend, Yujin was sure that she’d forgive it right away.

 

“You spilled ramyeon soup to my favorite sweater! How can I forgive you easily?!” Kahyeon tried her best to lower her tone, but failed miserably. She still sounded angry.

 

“It was an accident! I swear to God I didn’t do it in purpose,” Yujin defended herself. Yes, Ahn Yujin is a dumb. She’s so dumb to make an excuse like that.

 

“I’ll wash it, okay?” Yujin offered. To put it bluntly, the one who will wash it isn’t her. But hey, at least she offered to do it, right?

 

“No. You’ll just destroy my sweater if I let you to,” Kahyeon grumbled. She knows Ahn Yujin to well, she couldn’t let Yujin to wash her favorite sweater. The last time she saw Yujin used the washing machine, she made all of the white shirts in her house turned blue.

 

Still mad at the taller girl, Kahyeon left Yujin.

 

Ahn Yujin sighed. She knows that Kahyeon wouldn’t mad at her for a long time, but she was kind of devastated that her best friend didn’t accept her excuse and offer.

 

For Yujin, it’s not that embarrassing to be scolded by Kahyeon. Everyone in her year already knew about the comedian duo. They wondered though, how could the two become a good friend? But, for the second years agreed that seeing Ahn Yujin get scolded by Kahyeon is their weekly dose of entertainment.

 

Yujin felt someone was looking at her, so she turned her head.

 

She spotted the girl whom she lent her sweater to yesterday sat in the corner of the canteen, looking at her. It was easy to spot the girl since she’s a lot taller than the other girl, and has a distinct beauty.

 

Yujin waved her hand to the girl. Sadly, the girl averted her gaze when their eyes met. Yujin was upset. She doesn’t like being ignored.

 

She walked towards the girl while keeping her gaze at the girl. When she arrived at the girl’s table, Yujin took a seat beside the girl without any hesitation.

 

“Hey!” Ahn Yujin tried to greet the girl, who was staring at the floor.

 

The students around the girl, most likely her classmates, screamed. They’re so noisy, Yujin thought.

 

“You ignore me after I lent you my sweater, how rude~” Yujin said, in teasing manner.

 

The girl finally raised her head up, facing Yujin. Yujin could see her pretty face clearly now.

 

Gosh, she’s really pretty.

 

Yujin smiled brightly to the younger girl. She could see the younger’s cheeks blushing. Cute, she thought.

 

“...I’ll give it back t-to you later…” The girl in front of Yujin said nervously. The girl once again averted her eyes from Yujin, then stood up.

 

Yujin knew that this girl tried to run away from her, so she quickly grabbed the other girl’s arm.

 

“Hey, it’s rude to ignore and leave your senior when she’s talking to you, you know?” Yujin lowered her voice. Her smile vanished, intimidating the younger girl.

She knew that the girl is younger than her. She knew it since she didn’t feel familiar with another girls on the same table.

 

It seems that Yujin’s voice were intimidating enough to made the other girl back to her seat.

 

The girl once again tried to look at Yujin.

 

Yujin kept staring at the younger girl. She didn’t care with any other girls who were screaming while watching a situation that should be happened only in drama.

 

Her smile was back, dimples were shown on her cheeks.

 

“So... what’s your name? I forgot to ask for it yesterday,” Yujin asked, still staring at the younger girl. Her hands was still holding the younger’s arm.

 

“...Jang Wonyoung...” The girl answered. 

 

Jang Wonyoung... Wonyoung...

 

“Wonyoung? I once heard that name before...” Yujin blinked her eyes, trying to remember when was she heard that name.

 

“Ah, you’re the one who became the first year representative, right? Well, I’m Ahn Yujin. You should know me already since my friend shouted my name,” Yujin said as she slowly removing her hand from Wonyoung’s long arm.

 

Seriously, Yujin could stare at the younger girl forever, but then she realized that she didn’t finish copying Kahyeon’s note yet. She was a little bit disappointed, since she wanted to talk to Wonyoung more.

 

“I should go now. See you later, Wonyoungie~” Yujin stood up. She didn’t want to leave the girl, but she had no other choice. Kahyeon would be angrier if she didn’t give her notebook back by noon.

 

-

 

After they met each other at the canteen, Ahn Yujin never met Wonyoung again. She thought she could meet the other girl if she goes to the canteen, but since that day, she never spotted Wonyoung.

 

Ahn Yujin let out a short sigh. Did she do anything wrong to the first year? She really wanted to meet Wonyoung... since her mom keeps asking her where her blue sweater was.

 

“You know, I lent my sweater to Jang Wonyoung... but I never see her again. I should ask her number that time,” Yujin told her good friend, Kahyeon.

 

“She must be a ghost, then,” Kahyeon responded, without showing any interest in what Yujin said. Her eyes was still locked on her phone screen.

 

“It’s impossible! I held her arm! I once saw her going home,” Yujin continued. She was sure that the girl named Jang Wonyoung isn’t a spiritual being. It would be a pity if a girl as pretty as her is truly a ghost.

 

“Maybe she doesn’t want to see an annoying upperclassman?” Kahyeon put her phone down, then looked at Yujin. She looks bored with Yujin’s talk about Jang Wonyoung. She talked about that first year for a whole week!

 

“Who?”

 

Kahyeon left Yujin’s question unanswered.

 

That ugly blue sweater is always be Ahn Yujin’s favorite. Kahyeon once told her to not wear that sweater again, since it’s already outworn, but Yujin just liked the sweater so much, she never thought to throw it away even once. She also never thought to lend that sweater to anyone.

 

She did it anyway.

 

Ahn Yujin may be dumb and somewhat careless, but no one could deny that she is also kind of thoughtful. That time, she could just ignore the first year, but she didn’t, because she knew that she shouldn’t let the girl go home with such clothing. She’s still the dumb Ahn Yujin, though, so she couldn’t afford any solution for the younger, except lending her outworn blue sweater. Yujin thought that she didn’t have anything to be worried about, since she is good with cold temperature and winds, thanks to her high metabolism. Her coat was already more than enough for her to be outside.

 

So Ahn Yujin lent her sweater to Jang Wonyoung. Yujin was sure the other girl would give the sweater back. Well, if she doesn’t, Yujin could find her anyway since they’re enrolled in the same school. It’s a week already, and the first year didn’t give the blue sweater back to Yujin, yet.

 

Yujin wondered, maybe she really should barge in to the first years corridor and shouted Wonyoung’s full name.

 

As the idea passed to her mind, she found Wonyoung wandered around second years’ corridor.

 

“Wonyoungie?” Yujin called the first year. Wonyoung turned back, facing the older.

 

“I-I want to give it back the sweater to you...” Wonyoung said, slightly nervous. She showed the older girl the paper bag she brought.

 

Yujin came closer to the younger girl, then took the paper bag that Wonyoung held.

 

“T-thank you for the sweater...” Wonyoung said, a crooked smile shown on the younger face.

 

“You’re welcome. You washed it? There’s no need to, honestly,” Yujin said, realized that her blue sweater was somewhat smells good.

 

“...I should go home right now. See you later...” Wonyoung bid her senior a farewell.

 

“Wait. Are you going home alone?” Yujin asked.

 

Wonyoung nodded in silence.

 

“...Let’s go home together, then,” Yujin said. Kahyeon isn’t going straight home today, so Yujin should go home alone. It’d be lonely if she goes home alone, so when Wonyoung confirmed that she’s going home by herself, Yujin thought it’d be a good idea to going home with the first year. She already knew that the younger girl was going to same direction since she once spotted her junior on school’s gate.

 

Wonyoung nodded once again.

 

“Wait for me, I’ll go grab my bag,” Yujin said, then went to her class.

 

Yujin told Kahyeon that she finally met the first year again and got her sweater back. Overwhelmed, she pulled Kahyeon to meet Wonyoung.

 

“Kahyeon, this is Wonyoungie. I’ll go home with her today~” Yujin said to the other girl.

 

“Oh, so she’s the one you told me the other day. Hello, I’m Cho Kahyeon, this dumb’s friend. Nice to meet you,” Kahyeon introduced herself.

 

“I’m Jang Wonyoung... It’s a pleasure to meet you, Kahyeon-sunbaenim, Wonyoung bowed to the shorter girl.

 

“I already know you. Yujin talked about you a lot lately,” Kahyeon said.

 

“Well Yujin, I should go now. Don’t cause any trouble for Wonyoung. See you later,” Kahyeon bid a farewell to both of Yujin and Wonyoung.

 

“Let’s go home, Wonyoungie,” Yujin said. She took Wonyoung’s hand, slightly dragging the younger girl in the school’s corridor.

 

For Ahn Yujin, going home with someone is more fun than going home alone.

 

-

 

Ahn Yujin and Jang Wonyoung didn’t talk with each other much during their way home. They only talked about their address, and surprised that their house are close with each other.

 

Yujin didn’t let Wonyoung’s hand go since she took it in the corridor. She likes the warmth she could feel from Wonyoung’s hand, making her wanting to keep holding the younger’s hand.

 

“Yujin-sunbaenim?” Wonyoung tried to broke the silence.

 

 

 

“...You may call me unnie,” Yujin said, turned her head so she could see Wonyoung’s face, then smiled. It’s not that Yujin didn’t like to be called as a senior, but she thought that calling her that way will make their relation more friendly.

 

“...Yujin-unnie?” Wonyoung called the older girl once again.

 

“Yes?” Yujin replied.

 

“What did you say to Kahyeon-sunbaenim about me?” Wonyoung asked.

 

What did she says to Kahyeon? Sure, she talked much about the younger girl, but what Yujin remembered is that she only told Kahyeon about the first year being pretty and complained why the first year didn’t give her sweater back sooner. Yujin wondered why Wonyoung asked her such a question. Maybe she doesn’t like to be talked about… 

 

“Well, nothing important,” Yujin answered with her foolish smile. Wonyoung could see the older girl’s dimples.

 

Finally, they arrived in the front of Wonyoung’s house. Yujin then released her hand from Wonyoung’s. As the warmth from the first year vanished from her right hand, Yujin became a little bit disappointed. She then put her right hand to her pocket.

 

“See you later, Wonyoungie,” Yujin bid a farewell to the younger girl.

 

“...See you tomorrow, Yujin-unnie,” Wonyoung replied, making sure that they’d meet on the next day.

 

“Yeah, see you tomorrow,” Yujin ensured the first year that they’d meet tomorrow, if only the younger come to the school canteen, though.

 

Yujin’s home is only two blocks away from Wonyoung’s. Usually, Yujin takes different route, so she never sees Jang Wonyoung on her way home.

 

The girl suddenly remembered that her mother went to somewhere until evening. Yujin hates being alone, that’s why she often nag with Kahyeon and enjoyed her status as the most popular student in their school.

 

She was lucky today since Wonyoung was alone, so she could go home with her. When she was first year, she always went home with her… Now, she should go home alone everyday, since Kahyeon’s home is totally in opposite direction than hers.

 

Yujin sighed as she arrived in front of her house. She hates being alone in her two-story home. She silently gazed at her neighbor’s house. She isnt home, Yujin thought. Yujin took another long sigh, then reached her bag to take her key out…

 

“Yujinnie?”

 

A beautiful voice called Yujin from her left side. Yujin is familiar with the soothing voice, the voice of someone she likes very much. Yujin turned to look at the owner of the voice, a slim figure wearing a grey sweater and black coat who was standing not far from her.

 

“Minjoo-unnie…”

-----

By the way, the story is inspired from Sweater o Nugasanaide by Frederic (hence the title of this fic is the literal translation of the song title).