Chapter 2: The Knitted Sweater

Don't Take Off The Sweater

It seems that everyone noticed that there’s something wrong with Jang Wonyoung today. She seems to be in a good mood, smiling everywhere she goes. Wonyoung is always smiling, but everyone knows that her smile today is different from her usual smile.

 

“You look happy today, Wonyoung. Something good happened to you?” one of her classmate asked the tall girl.

 

“What? No, no. Nothing happened,” Wonyoung answered. She giggled a little at her words, remembering what happened to her the previous day.

 

“Are you sure~?” Her classmate tried to , but Wonyoung didn't answer. 

“Whatever. Let’s go to the canteen, everyone’s waiting,” the girl pulled Wonyoung’s arm.

 

Really, Wonyoung wasn’t in the mood to grab any food. Actually, in her normal state, Jang Wonyoung eats a lot, but right then, her mind was already full with someone named “Ahn Yujin”, she didn’t even think she needs to eat.

 

As the first year girl reached the canteen, she queued in the line to get some bread. Then, she sat on the empty table in one corner of the canteen.

 

Suddenly, a loud voice was heard.

 

“AHN YUJIN!!!”

 

A slightly chubby girl yelled to another girl named Ahn Yujin.  Was sheWonyoung’s Ahn Yujin? Wait, what?

 

The shorter girl seems really angry, while Ahn Yujin keeps clasping her hands together, asking for forgiveness, but she was smiling sheepishly.

 

“I’m sorry~ Please forgive me~” Ahn Yujin pleaded, but everyone who heard her voice would know that there was no seriousness in her tone.

 

“Everyone’s looking at us, don’t you feel ashamed? Just forgive me already~” Ahn Yujin continued.

 

The girl realized that everyone was looking at them. Her face turned red.

 

“You spilled ramyeon soup to my favorite sweater! How can I forgive you easily?!” The girl tried to lower her tone, but failed.

 

“It was an accident! I swear to God I didn’t do it in purpose,” Yujin defended herself.

 

Wonyoung giggled when hearing Yujin’s words. She found that Yujin’s explanation was amusing. Of course, no one spilled ramyeon soup to someone’s sweater in purpose.

 

“I’ll wash it, okay?” Yujin offered.

 

“No. You’ll just destroy my sweater if I let you to,” The girl grumbled. Then, she left canteen, still mad at Yujin.

 

While everyone was looking at the shorter girl, Wonyoung locked her eyes on Yujin, who was left there alone.

 

“Why are you looking at Yujin-sunbaenim like that?” Wonyoung’s classmate nudged her arm. Wonyoung averted her eyes from Yujin. She didn’t want anyone to know that she was looking at Yujin all this time.

 

Sunbaenim? Ahn Yujin is her senior?

 

Sunbaenim?” Wonyoung asked.

 

“Yeah, she’s a second year. She is quite popular, maybe the most popular student in this school. You don’t know anything about her?” Her classmate said. How could a girl with a such plain clothing be popular?

 

Wonyoung shook her head. She always be the center of her world, never paying attention to another people. Everyone always come to her, even though she didn’t do anything. She didn’t ever bother to befriend someone. Come to think of it, she’s really self-centered, right?

 

She munched her bread while trying to steal a look at the short haired girl.

 

Wonyoung was unlucky, since the girl she locked her eyes on realized that Wonyoung was staring at her. Yujin smiled sheepishly and waved her hand at Wonyoung, giving a signal that she saw her.

 

The tall girl blushed since she realized that Ahn Yujin was waving her hand at herself. She really wanted to get out from here and run to her class, but she couldn’t. Her classmate would be mad if she does that without saying anything. Wonyoung stared at the floor in embarrassment. Ah, she really wanted to get out from here.

 

“Hey!” A voice was heard from the right side of Wonyoung as she felt someone sat next to her. The next thing she could hear was everyone near her screamed.

 

Wonyoung didn’t have any courage to see the face of the person who called her.

 

“Don’t ignore me like that~” The voice said.

 

It’s not like Wonyoung wanted to ignore the person who was sitting beside her, but she didn’t want anyone saw her flustered face.

 

“You ignore me after I lent you my sweater? How rude~”

 

Wonyoung finally faced the girl who sat next to her. She could see Ahn Yujin’s wide smile in front of her face. Yujin smiled brightly, enough to make Wonyoung face feels hotter than before.

 

“...I’ll give it back t-to you later…” Wonyoung said nervously.

 

Wonyoung was always confident. Seeing Wonyoung embarrassed like that must be something new for her classmates. Wonyoung tried to stand up, but the other girl grabbed her arm, not allowing her to go anywhere.

 

“Hey, it’s rude to ignore and leave your senior when she’s talking to you, you know?” Yujin lowered her voice. Her smile vanished, a little bit intimidating the younger girl. This is the first time in Wonyoung’s life to be intimidated by someone.

 

Obediently, Wonyoung sat back, and collect her courage to see Yujin’s face. She then finally stared at Yujin’s eyes.

 

Wonyoung realized that Ahn Yujin has a gorgeous eyes.

 

The two girls kept staring at each other. Yujin seems didn’t care with any other girls that screamed. Well, everyone would scream since the situation they witnessing was similar with a scene that should be happened only in drama.

 

Her smile was back, dimples were shown on her cheeks.

 

“So... what’s your name? I forgot to ask for it yesterday,” Yujin asked, still staring at the younger girl. Her hands was still holding the younger’s arm.

 

“...Jang Wonyoung...” Wonyoung answered. Her heart was pounding really fast.

 

“Wonyoung? I once heard that name before...” Yujin blinked her eyes, trying to remember when was she heard that name.

 

“Ah, you’re the one who became the first year representative, right? Well, I’m Ahn Yujin. You should know me already since my friend shouted my name,” Yujin said as she slowly removing her hand from Wonyoung’s arm. Well, Wonyoung already knew the second year’s name, from the sweater which was lent to her.

 

Honestly, Wonyoung didn’t mind if Yujin keeps holding her arm.

 

“I should go now. See you later, Wonyoungie~” Yujin stood up and left Wonyoung dumbfounded again, like the previous day.

 

Wonyoung forgot to thank Yujin for that plain sweater.

 

----

A week already passed since what happened at the school canteen. Since that day, Wonyoung always spend her lunch time in class. She tried her best to avoid a second year named Ahn Yujin, since she didn’t like the sensation she felt when her heart pounding fast.

 

During a week, Wonyoung learned that Ahn Yujin is “the prince” in this all-girls school. She is described as boyish, cheerful, and somewhat a little bit foolish. She’s not an overachiever in term of studying, but she’s the star when it comes to sports. It seems that her cheerful attitude made her popular.

 

After what happened at the canteen, every first year students keep asking the tall girl about Yujin. Most of them are envious of Wonyoung, since she caught the attention of the most popular student in her school. That time, Wonyoung realized that she wasn’t the center of attention anymore. Now everyone talk to her not because she’s the Jang Wonyoung, but because she’s the first year who caught Ahn Yujin’s attention.

 

It’s not like Wonyoung made any effort to caught the second year’s attention, but it just happened, naturally. She couldn’t go home, then Ahn Yujin came and lent her an ugly blue sweater.

 

Yes, its all started by a mere sweater.

 

She sighed as she looked at a paper bag she brought. Her mother told her to give the blue sweater back to the owner since it was already washed. Gosh, she didn’t want to meet Yujin, but she had no other choice.

 

Where is Yujin-sunbaenims class?

 

Wonyoung wandered around second years’ corridor after school, hoping that she’d see Yujin. Being in corridor full of senior is surely intimidating, but Wonyoung should do it anyway. She didn’t want to go to the canteen, since it reminds her with what happened a week ago.

 

“Wonyoungie?” A voice called the first year from behind.

 

Wonyoung turned back, only to found Ahn Yujin, standing behind her. The older girl wears knitted sweater today. The sweater is not that stylish, but it’s a lot better than the blue sweater inside the paper bag, and it suited the boyish girl well.

 

“I-I want to give the sweater back to you...” Wonyoung said, unable to hid her nervousness. She showed the older girl the paper bag she brought.

 

Yujin came closer to the younger girl, then took the paper bag that Wonyoung held.

 

“T-thank you for the sweater...” Wonyoung finally thanked her senior.

 

“You’re welcome. You washed it? There’s no need to, honestly,” Yujin said, realized that her blue sweater was somewhat smells good.

 

The one who washed it was Wonyoung’s mother, though.

 

“I should go home right now. See you later...” Wonyoung bid her senior a farewell.

 

“Wait. Are you going home alone?” Yujin asked.

 

Since Wonyoung should give the sweater she borrowed back to the owner, she told her friends to go home without her. So, yes, she’s going home alone.

 

Wonyoung nodded in silence.

 

“...Let’s go home together, then,” Yujin said in excitement.

 

Wonyoung’s heart skipped a beat. Ahn Yujin asked her to go home together? Walking home with Ahn Yujin must be everyone’s dream, well, maybe except for Ahn Yujin's friends.

 

Wonyoung nodded once again.

 

“Wait for me, I’ll grab my bag,” Yujin said, then went to her class.

 

Wonyoung waited for Yujin for a while, until the latter come back. Yujin didn’t come back alone, but with the girl who mad at her in the canteen last week. Wonyoung was slightly disappointed, since she thought that she’d go home just with Yujin.

 

“Kahyeon, this is Wonyoungie. I’ll go home with her today~” Yujin said to the other girl, still with her foolish smile.

 

“Oh, so she’s the one you told me the other day. Hello, I’m Cho Kahyeon, a friend of this dumb girl. Nice to meet you,” The girl named Cho Kahyeon introduced herself.

 

“I’m Jang Wonyoung... It’s a pleasure to meet you, Kahyeon-sunbaenim, Wonyoung bowed to the shorter girl.

 

“I already know you. Yujin talked about you a lot lately,” Kahyeon said.

 

Wait, Yujin talked about her a lot? Wonyoung blushed a little.

 

“Well Yujin, I should go now. Don’t cause any trouble for Wonyoung, okay? See you later,” Kahyeon bid a farewell to both of Yujin and Wonyoung and left them.

 

So Kahyeon-sunbaenim is not going home with us? Realizing that, Wonyoung somehow felt relieved.

 

“Let’s go home, Wonyoungie,” Yujin said. She took Wonyoung’s hand, slightly dragging the younger girl to walk across the school’s corridor.

 

Wonyoung felt that her cheeks was getting warmer because of Yujin’s advance. If any student saw it, Wonyoung was sure that they would make a fuss.

 

 

----

Jang Wonyoung and Ahn Yujin didn’t talk with each other much during their way home. They only talked about their address, and both of them were surprised when they learned that their house are close with each other.

 

Yujin didn’t let Wonyoung’s hand go since she took it in the corridor. The girls were holding hands in silence. Wonyoung couldn’t help herself to not steal a glance to the older girl.

 

“Yujin-sunbaenim?” Wonyoung tried to broke the silence.

 

“...You may call me unnie,” Yujin said, turned her head so she could see Wonyoung’s face. She smiled to the younger girl when their eyes met with each other. Wonyoung’s heart was thumping loudly. Ah, she hoped the older girl couldn’t hear it.

 

“...Yujin-unnie?” Wonyoung called the older girl once again.

 

“Yes?” Yujin answered.

 

“What did you say to Kahyeon-sunbaenim about me?” Wonyoung asked. She was fluttered at the fact that Yujin talked about her to her good friend, but still, she tried to not having a high hope.

 

“Well, nothing important,” Yujin answered with her foolish smile. Wonyoung could see the older girl’s dimples.

 

Wonyoung’s new unnie is really cute when smiling, huh?

 

Finally, they arrived in the front of Wonyoung’s house. Yujin then released her hand from Wonyoung’s. The younger girl was a little bit disappointed.

 

“See you later, Wonyoungie,” Yujin bid a farewell to the younger girl.

 

“...See you tomorrow, Yujin-unnie,” Wonyoung replied, making sure that they’d meet each other on the next day. Wonyoung might be avoid Yujin before, but now she wanted to spend her time with her new unnie more.

 

“Yeah, see you tomorrow,” Yujin ensured the first year that they’d meet tomorrow. She waved her hand to the younger girl as she continue her way.

 

Even after Yujin left, Wonyoung’s heart beat wasn’t going any slower. She also couldn’t stop thinking of Yujin. She couldn’t stop thinking about how the knitted sweater Yujin wears today suits her well.

 

What was it again? The name of the feeling when your heart pounding so fast and you only think about one person?

 

Wonyoung entered her house, only to find two pairs of sneakers she was unfamiliar with. Those must be her cousins’. Her mother told her this morning that her two cousins would come to visit.

 

She entered the living room. Her two cousins, Chaewon and Hyewon, were sitting there while watching television.

 

“Long time no see, Wonyoung,” Chaewon greet her lovely cousin.

 

“Hello Chaewon-unnie, Hyewon-unnie,” Wonyoung greet them back.

 

Hyewon didn’t say anything, she only raised her hand to Wonyoung while her other hand hugged the popcorn bucket.

 

Wonyoung loves every time her cousins came to visit her. They’re so nice and always spoiling her. Usually, Wonyoung always tell them anything, but now, she didn’t want to tell them about Yujin. So, Wonyoung talked about another topic, and did her best to avoid any subject that may lead her to tell them about Yujin. Unfortunately, her cousins realized that there’s something different with Wonyoung.

 

“Is something bothering you?” Chaewon asked. There's a worry in her tone.

 

“N-no. You must be overthinking, unnie,” Wonyoung answered Chaewon with a lie. Unfortunately, her cousins already know that Wonyoung is a bad liar. They know that Wonyoung always averted her gaze when she lied.

 

“...Wonyoung,” Hyewon put down the popcorn bucket and stared at Wonyoung.

 

“Yes, Hyewon-unnie?” Wonyoung replied.

 

“...Are you in love?”

 

Ah, that’s it. The name of the feeling when your heart pounding so fast and you only can think about one person is called “love”.

 

Jang Wonyoung finally realized that she’s in love with a someone named Ahn Yujin.