It's Not Your Fault

Love Is in the Air

 

Where did he go? An unpleasant noise from the bathroom answered you soon enough. You got out of bed and walked into the bathroom to get him a towel. When you handed him the towel to wipe his mouth, you noticed beads of sweat on his forehead and his sickly green face. Poor thing. Throwing up and a fever. Guess he won’t be going anywhere today. You left the room to go change out of your pajamas, while he sat on the floor of the bathroom leaning against the shower. I have to go to work today... I couldn’t call in a vacation day for today at such short notice. I’ll just have to come check on him during lunch. He can handle about 3 hours at a time by himself. You went back to the bathroom to check on him. He didn’t look as queasy. 

“Boo, how about you go lie down and rest? I have to work today, but I’ll come check on you around noon.”

He nodded and took your outstretched hand to help himself up. He laid down in the bed and you tucked him in. You grabbed some towels and laid them around him and put a damp one on his forehead.

“Don’t throw up on my sheets.”

He smiled weakly. Poor thing.

“Well, I’ve got to go now. I’ll see you around noon. Um...just stay in bed...sleep...and don’t throw up everywhere.”

He nodded and closed his eyes. You kissed the top of his head and then left for work. 

* * *

I can’t help but be worried about him...

“Miss?”

You snapped back to reality.

“Oh, I’m sorry. I’m just a bit out of it today... What do you need?”

That’s pretty much how your whole day went. Come on lunch... As soon as you could leave for your break, you were out of there. I hope he’s feeling better.

* *

Should I say I’m here? He might be sleeping. You walked into your bedroom quietly in case he was asleep. He was rolled over on his side staring at the wall.

“Boo...”

He looked over at you and smiled.

“Hi.”

“Feeling any better?”

“Yeah. I didn’t throw up anymore.”

“That’s good.”

You felt his forehead. 

“It’s not as warm.”

He looked out the window. 

“I’m so bored. Being sick .”

You pushed his hair back and kissed his forehead. 

“I know. I’ll be back later. We can watch a movie or something.”

He sighed.

“I wanted to go somewhere, but I guess we can’t. I’m just a screw up. I always ruin everything. I messed up our date at the Han the other day, I got sick today, made you come check on me during your lunch break, and am making you stay home with me this evening. I’m just awful aren’t I? I should just live in a box in an alley, so I never bother you.”

“Live in a box in an alley?”

He smiled.

“Okay, well...you know what I mean.”

I’ve never seen him like this. He’s usually so narcissistic. 

“You know I love you and you aren’t a screw up. Even if you were, I’d still love you.”

His cheeks burned.

“You’re sweet...”

“I wouldn’t let you live in that box alone either, so it better be a big box.”

You kissed his forehead.

“I’ve got to go, boo.”

“...I love you.”

You smiled. Love you too.

* * *

Come on...just a little while longer. Why does everything feel so much longer when all you want is to go home? Ugh. Well...what are we going to do tonight? All we ever do is watch movies. We actually watch them too, unlike other couples that you always see in the theater. Ick. Just go home, seriously. We’re such a weird couple, Dongwoon and I. I just love him to pieces though. It’s a shame he’ll be gone for so long. Once again, I’ll be sleeping alone. Wasn’t I trying to figure out what we’re going to do later? Obviously, this proves how easily my mind wanders to other subjects. Anyway, what to do...he’s still sick, so no kisses for him. Although, that’s rather unfortunate for me as well. Is it time to go yet? Ugh, not yet. You know, I really have an urge to just stand on my balcony and blow bubbles. I should make Woonie blow bubbles with me. Am I seriously thinking about bubbles? My sanity has totally gone down the drain. Whatever. At least I have fun. Seriously, I have no idea what to do. Dongwoon must think I’m boring as watching paint dry. Oh, we could paint. FINGER PAINT. Oh my gosh, yes. We’re totally going to blow bubbles and finger paint. I kind of want some cookies too. Although, it might make Woonie sick again. Depending on how he’s feeling, we may or may not make cookies, but I really want cookies. Can I leave yet? I can? Psh, I’m out of here.

* * 

“Boo, I’m home!”

He ran from the bedroom so fast and hugged you around the waist.

“Something wrong?”

As he spoke, he stuttered.

“There’s a spider in there...”

You giggled.

“That’s what you’re all worked up over? I can’t believe I have such a wuss of a boyfriend.”

“But ____ it’s huge!”

You rolled your eyes and walking into the bedroom with a shoe. The spider was right next to the window and Dongwoon was right. It was huge. You crept over to the spider, beat it with the shoe, screamed, and ran back over to Dongwoon who was crouched behind the counter. 

“And you said I was a wuss.”

“You’re worse and shouldn’t you be in bed? Aren’t you sick?”

“I’m feeling better. Can you make me some food? I’m hungry.”

“I’m not sure about that. I don’t want you to get sick again...”

“Please? I’m so hungry that my ribs hurt.”

He lifted up his shirt.

“Look at this! I’m getting skinny. I’m going to die of starvation.”

You rolled your eyes. 

“You look the same to me.”

He scowled. He’s such a baby. You sighed and opened the cabinet. Nothing that’ll make him sick. You handed him a package of rice crackers. He just looked at you. 

“Seriously?”

“Would you like to throw up some more?”

He grumbled and sat down on one of the bar stools. 

“Hey, boo?”

“Yeah?”

“Want to finger paint?”

“Finger paint? How old are you again?”

“Does it matter? Can’t I still have fun?”

“Fine. Whatever makes you happy.”

You clapped your hands and ran to get your paint out of the closet. Too old to finger paint? Psh, you’re never too old. You set the paint on the counter along with some paper and plates to put the paint on. Once you had poured some paint onto the plates, you dipped your finger in it and started to paint something. Dongwoon did the same. After a few minutes, Dongwoon peeked over at what you were painting.

“What’s that supposed to be?”

“It’s a cherry tree.”

“Oh.”

You looked over at his painting. He covered it up quickly.

“It’s not finished.”

“So? Let me see!”

“No!”

You tried to grab for the paper, but Dongwoon turned so his back was facing you.

“You can see it when I’m finished.”

You stuck your tongue out at his back and went back to painting. Such a pretty little cherry tree, aren’t you? I’m sure you’re much better than whatever Woonie is making. Oh yes, little cherry tree, I’ll hang you up somewhere because you’re just so pretty. Dongwoon poked your shoulder. 

“Yes?”

You looked up from your cherry tree. He was holding his painting that said “I love you” and had little hearts all around it. Aww. You hugged him and kissed his cheek.

“I love you too.”

He smiled and wiped his finger across your cheek. 

“Did you just...?”

You reached up and felt your cheek. Paint. 

“You’re just asking for it aren’t you?”

“Maybe.”

You stuck your whole palm in the paint and rubbed it all over his face. He grabbed your wrist and drew a mustache on your face. You two just went back and forth getting paint all over each other’s faces. 

“Aish, just stop. We’ll never get all this off. I’m going to kill you if my face is stained.”

He sighed.

“Fine.”

“I’m going to take a shower to try get all this off.”

“Want me to help?”

You glared at him.

“I take that as a no. I’ll just go use the other one then. You know, that’s wasting water.”

“Do you want me to torture you before I kill you?”

“Maybe.”

“That’s it-”

“Alright, alright. I’m going, I’m going.”

How did I end up with this lunatic?

* *

After you both took a shower, Dongwoon seemed to be feeling a ton better, so you decided to make cookies. Plus, he kept complaining that he was hungry.

“You can’t have any milk though.”

“I don’t mind.”

After throwing all the ingredients in, you made Dongwoon mix it all.

“Aish it hurts my arms.”

“Quit being such a baby. Man up.”

He stood up straighter and scoffed.

“I’m not a baby. I’m very manly.”

You just rolled your eyes.

“Yah! Don’t roll your eyes at me, missy.”

“Merong.”

You quickly grabbed some of the dough and shoved it in your mouth. You were so quick, Dongwoon looked surprised. Yummy. Hehehe. 

“You can roll that into balls and put them on the pan now.”

“Getting bossy now aren’t you, little missy?”

“Shut up and finish making my damn cookies.”

* * *

Mmm they’re so good. Cookies plus milk...heavenly. 

“Like them, boo?”

“Mhm.”

His eyelids were drooping. Poor baby is so sleepy. He didn’t even do anything though. Well, I guess being sick is tiresome. You went back to your cookies. After a few minutes, Dongwoon had fallen asleep on the counter with cookie crumbs on his lips. I should probably put him to bed.

“Boo, come on. Get up. You just have to walk to bed and you can go right back to sleep.”

You held his arm as he practically sleep walked to bed. He laid down and you tucked him in. You kissed his forehead and walked back out to the living room. It's still sort of bothering me... why was he so downbeat about himself earlier? Where did the narcissistic Dongwoon I know go? You sighed. Maybe I'll ask him if anything's wrong because people don't just go from being full of themself to I-totally-. Something is definitely going on. On the floor, you found one of your books. You picked it up and sat on the couch, reading until your eyes felt like the pages of the book.