Chapter 8

Dreamwalker

Dreamwalker

8. Chapter 8


“I can’t see a damn thing, Flora! Do I really have to wear this?”

I heard Flora push out an exasperated sigh from behind me. The sound was so uncharacteristic of her that I spun on my heel to see the look on her face. The gauzy black material that had been draped over my triangular, dome-shaped hat was difficult to see through, but I could make out her somewhat annoyed look from behind the covering.

“D-Did you just sigh at me?” I blurted out incredulously, snickering despite myself as I pulled the hat off my head. I wasn’t trying to work Flora’s last nerve, but I didn’t want to wear this thing on my head!

Flora gave me a shy smile at being caught, “I didn’t mean to...”

Lily giggled, “Jade, His Majesty gave you this headpiece to protect your chastity. As the High Priestess, no man can touch you. If someone sees your face during the parade and lusts after you-”

“Jun would cut off their fingers,” I replied, with a nonchalant shrug. I wasn’t worried about someone “lusting” after me with the kingdom’s first-born prince by my side.

I was much more concerned about passing out from heat exhaustion, while wearing such a bulky and heavy hat. I tossed the hat to the floor, staring at it angrily, “This is stupid. I’m not wearing that.”

“My Lady,” Flora began to say in a pleading tone, but at that moment, someone cleared their throat and loudly announced the arrival of both Jun and Monk Yang. Flora quickly scooped up the hat and began to dust it off, handing it back to me. The two of them were ushered into my room, Jun coming over to me instantly.

“I heard some interesting whispers from the servants outside. Are you throwing a tantrum?”

I scoffed, “No, I'm not. Flora says I have to wear this to protect my chastity or something. Jun, I can’t even see through it!” I crossed my arms, pouting. I knew I was being childish, but I didn’t like clothes that limited my ability to move. I felt restricted as soon as I put the hat on.

Jun gave me a sympathetic smile, unfurling my arms, “Sometimes life in the palace involves doing a lot of ridiculous things we don’t want to do. Try it on, and let me see the problem.”

I begrudgingly obliged Jun’s request, putting the hat over my hair and allowing the black veil to cover my face. Jun parted the sheer fabric, leaning in towards me until he was just inches from my face. I blinked at him in confusion, my heart rate accelerating as the veil became a privacy curtain that shielded us from view.

“On second thought… I don’t want you to wear this either. If someone were to kiss you under this, no one would see a thing…” Jun explained in a suggestive tone, his eyes twinkling with mischief. I stepped back from him, instantly pulling the hat off my head again.

He chuckled as he took the covering from my hand, “We’ll just tell my Royal Father it blew off in the wind. No one will know.” He handed the hat over to Renjun, who shook his head as he headed out of the room. I secretly hoped he was finding somewhere to set the hat on fire.

“Otherwise, you’re ready? The carriage is outside, and everyone else is waiting for us.”

Flora and Lily grabbed a few things from around my room, and once they had everything I would need, we set out for the procession waiting for us at the front of the Eldest Prince’s palace.

Minghao was waiting on horseback, with the rest of the group, waving excitedly as we approached him. He had changed his attire since the last time we saw him, to a set of hanfu robes that were an inky black, trimmed with blue.

Beside him, a handsome, kind-faced young man sat on a chestnut-colored horse. He had warm, welcoming brown eyes and hair so dark, it had a slightly blue hue to it. He couldn’t have been much older than Jun was. He wore full-blown armor from head-to-toe, but he looked so sweet that it was hard to picture him using the sword at his side to harm anyone.

“Captain Qian Kun, you’re gracing us with your presence today?” Jun sounded pleased to see him, moving towards the front of the group. Kun waved back cheerfully, nodding his head in agreement.

“The Emperor tasked me with making sure the people meet High Priestess Jade without any troubles, Your Highness,” He replied warmly, and once again, I felt like Kun was truly a trustworthy person.

“Is it safe for the new High Priestess to come out without covering her face?” Minghao interjected, directing all eyes on me, and I hurried towards the back of the carriage before he could ask me anything else.

Jun chuckled, and I slid across the carriage bench to peek at him out of the front window. Within the tiny frame, I watched him jump up on the back of his horse gracefully, like a scene in a movie. He was handsome already, but seeing Jun on horseback should have been a crime.

I covered the window with the gauzy curtain hurriedly, nearly knocking over Flora, who had somehow managed to peek over my shoulder at the two princes.

“His Highness on horseback is a thing of beauty, isn’t he?” Lily whispered, giggling girlishly from her position near the other window.

Flora and I nodded enthusiastically as the carriage lurched forward, and we were on our way into the city. Massive stone walls signaled the entrance to the palace, cold and menacing on either side. I sat beside Flora on the bench inside the carriage, sitting on my knees as I stared at everything through the tiny window. There were soldiers lining the entire road as we proceeded slowly toward a gigantic gate that took a solid five minutes to open due to sheer size.

A crowd of people were already lined up on either side of the street, a collective hush falling over them as the two princes at the front of our procession finally made their appearance. Once the carriage arrived on the other side of the gate, the drums and flutes began, and we sat still to give everyone a chance to see our entire entourage. After a little while, we started to move forward again. People were cheering and calling for the princes’ attention, but after they passed, the crowd began to peer curiously at the carriage.

“Jade, you can’t let anyone see you peeking out of the window like that! Come, sit beside me,” Lily urged, scooting over on the bench so that she was out of view. “Sister, hold the curtain up on that side so the people can see her.”

Both sisters shifted positions in the carriage so that I would be somewhat visible through the windows to the people on the outside. The carriage had finally reached the front of the crowds, and another hush fell on the group.

“By the Gods,” I heard a man gasp, and I wasn’t sure if that was a good gasp or a bad one. I waved sheepishly at him from the window, wondering if I was doing the right thing.

“She’s beautiful!” I heard a child shout in a sing-song voice, and it was like the entire crowd had pressed in closer all at once.

I leaned out of the window and waved at a few more people, some of them staring at me in open-mouthed surprise. We continued in this way, citizens stretching their hands out to hand me gifts and present as we passed by. Flora was accepting the treats from her side of the carriage too.

We had made our way halfway down the main road when we reached a four-way stop, the street opening widely into a multi-directional space. As our procession began to head towards the western road, a blood-curdling scream rent the air, and Kun drew his sword instantly, shouting, “Assassins are attacking! Protect the princes!”

Everything happened in a blur as all the royal guards began to draw their swords. People were screaming and running away, trying to find any place they could to hide. Flora and Lily looked at me worriedly, the three of us hoping to catch a glimpse of what was happening through the window.

Over the din, I heard a voice calling my name, “Jade, get down now!!”

Instinctively, I ducked my head, grabbing Flora’s hand from across the carriage and yanking her down to the carriage floor with me. Lily shrieked as an arrow sailed through the window and landed exactly where her sister had been sitting. Flora turned and looked at me in terror.

“Lily, get over here!” I grabbed her arm too and pushed Flora’s back so that we were all lying flat against the carriage floor. More arrows struck the wood above us, raining debris down on our heads.

“My Lady, I-I’m scared,” Lily whispered fearfully, and I put my arm around her shoulder, patting her back soothingly. My heart was pounding in my ears as more arrows struck the sides of our carriage. Flora and Lily jumped every time a new arrow sunk into the wooden walls. I heard a groan from the driver and then a loud thump -- I prayed that he was only wounded and not dead.

“Your Highness, up there!” Kun shouted over the noise, and soon there was loud shouting from the back of the procession, closest to the carriage.

Our soldiers that had been bringing up the rear were shouting orders at one another, and the first clashes of metal rang in my ears.

“Minghao, Kun, go after the assassins! They’re charging for Jade!” Jun yelled, and horse hooves clacked against the pavement as Jun made his way towards me. I held my breath, and squeezed my eyes shut, hoping he reached me before our attackers did.

“Your Highness, we’ll hold them off! Please protect the High Priestess!”

I appreciated that soldier, whoever he was, but I couldn’t see his face because of the curtains covering the back of the carriage. I nudged Lily with my elbow, inclining my head towards the gifts that still remained on the bench. Or at least, what was left of them.

“Lily, is there anything up there we can use as a weapon? We can’t just sit here and wait for someone to attack us,” I explained, in a frustrated tone. Since I was laying in the middle of both maids, there was no way for me to reach up and grab anything. Lily her side and grabbed a beautiful vase that somehow managed to stay intact.

“Will this work?” She asked as I sat up, taking the vase from her hand. I nodded and motioned for Flora and Lily to move. “Get behind me and stay low to the ground.”

I shifted forward to lay on my stomach, slowly easing my way to the very edge of the bench, gripping the vase for dear life. If anyone had the guts to come towards us, I was going to smash the ceramic into their skull.

“Jade!” Jun’s voice rang out, the closest it had ever been since this entire ordeal began. Swords were still clashing in the distance, and I could hear the grunts and moans of the soldiers that were trying to protect us from the enemy.

I peeked my head out of the curtain just as Jun ran towards the carriage. He jumped in, and grabbed my arm, nearly knocking the vase out of my hands, “Are you hurt? Did anything happen?”

I couldn’t answer him as the sounds we had heard outside were combined with the sights of a bloody battle in the middle of the street. I stared beyond Jun’s shoulder, watching in fear as armed soldiers fought hard, protecting us fiercely from a group of men dressed in violet clothes. There were a few bodies already on the ground.

Jun shook me slightly to get my attention, “Jade, don’t look. I’m right here.” I guess the look on my face was scarier than I thought because Jun hugged me suddenly, and I dropped the vase, clutching him tightly. I closed my eyes and tried to get my together.

Now was not the time to freeze up and be a damsel in distress. Even if this was a dream for me, it was real life for Jun, Flora, and Lily. I didn’t know what would happen if any of them were hurt, or worse… and I didn’t want to find out.

Jun helped me climb out of the carriage, the number of enemies dwindling in front of my very eyes. Lily and Flora followed behind us, as he led me into a tiny shop, where Kun and Minghao stared up at the rafters.

“Your Highness, we followed them up until here. It’s as if… they vanished.” Kun explained, with a puzzled expression. He sheathed his sword and commanded the rest of the soldiers around us to go help the other men outside. Kun bowed to one knee, “Your Highness, I am sorry I allowed this to happen to you-”

Jun shook his head, “You didn’t allow anything -- please don’t apologize, Captain. You may stand.”

Kun nodded, turning to me, “High Priestess, are you all right?”

I gave Kun a faint smile, which was really all I could manage right now, “I’m fine.”

Jun frowned, “No, you’re not. We need to get you back to the palace before something else happens.”

It was as if he had summoned demons from his words. An entire bookshelf crashed from the back wall, and in no time, we were surrounded by more men in purple robes.

“The false Priestess must be slain!” One man screamed, before he charged at us. He made it two steps towards us before Flora grunted, and chunked the vase in her hands at him, hitting her target directly in the face and shattering the pottery. The man never stood a chance.

Minghao laughed boisterously as he drew his sword, shifting his stance, “Are you sure these two are just maids?” He questioned out loud, striking out at the assailant nearest him.

Jun pushed me further behind his form with his arm, keeping an eye on the three men directly in front of us. One of the men jumped forward and Jun moved in on him, his face showing complete concentration.

Jun’s fighting style was nothing like I had ever seen before, though I had nothing to compare it to either -- I’d never seen an actual sword fight in real life. His body moved fluidly as if he were dancing with the blade. I was in awe at how lithe, but deadly his movements were. Each time he struck out, a body fell at his feet.

We were down to one enemy, but he was smart, managing to slash in my direction and throw Jun off guard. Jun grabbed my hand, gracefully spinning my body as he yanked me out of the way, but hurting himself in the process. I gasped when the blade connected with his skin.

It wasn’t a terrible wound, but the man in violet had managed to nick Jun’s arm, and blood began to form on the surface of his skin.

“Jun!” I cried, staring at his arm in concern. He pushed me further behind him, and shook his head.

“Jade just… stay behind me,” he murmured tiredly.

I kept quiet and did as I was told. It was pointless to be argumentative right now. I was useless in a sword fight.

“Brother! Are you alright?” I heard Minghao shout from beside us. He was shielding Lily and Flora from the remaining enemies on their side, though there weren’t many.

Kun shouted and rushed forward, gathering the attention of the 3 men left alive. He stabbed one of them right through the stomach, and while the others watched on in surprise, Jun and Minghao slashed them across their necks, killing them instantly. The room was finally silent, and only the harsh breathing of our group could be heard. Jun pushed out a pent up breath, and in an instant his sword clattered to the ground.

“Jun?” I watched as he cradled his arm, wincing in pain.

There was more blood gathering on his arm. I carefully picked up his sword, sliding it into the sheath at his waist for him. “What the hell was that?! Are you crazy? Someone could have killed you!”

“My Lady…” Flora murmured, shaking her head in my direction.

Jun grinned at me, raising an eyebrow, “Are you worrying about me right now?”

I grunted, turning my back to him. I was too scared and angry to respond properly.

“It seems someone sent assassins after the High Priestess.” Kun surmised, pressing his fingers to the throat of one of the men on the floor. He wasn’t moving.

I balked, “They’re here to kill me?!”

“Over my dead body,” Jun bit out, holding his arm delicately. I watched him try and fail to move his injured arm. It looked painful. I touched his cheek gently, drawing his gaze to me.

“Do you need help?” I asked softly, and Jun’s dark eyes took on a warm glow that didn’t suit our current situation at all. He wrapped his uninjured arm around my waist, pulling me into his personal space. He stared into my eyes, concern and worry covering his features.

“You’re already helping me by being alive. Are you all right?” He studied my face carefully, looking me over for any injuries. I nodded, internally shaking my head at his priorities.

“Worry about yourself, Your Highness.” I retorted, taking his injured arm carefully in my hands to take a closer look. He was bleeding, but it was a shallow wound. He wasn’t losing blood profusely at least.

“It’s just a scratch.”

“It could be more than that -- you need to be more careful,” I admonished, glancing around for something to cover the wound. I didn’t really see anything that would work, so I reached for the bottom of my black dress, ripping the fabric with my bare hands, and wrapping it around his arm. Jun gave me a grateful smile, then took my hand and led me over to Kun and Minghao.

“Brother, I’ve never seen these robes before,” Minghao stated, examining the body of the nearest assassin. Flora stood beside him, biting her bottom lip worriedly.

“Neither have I.” Kun stated, pushing over another body. He began to thoroughly search the villain for any clues.

“We know they’re after Jade.” Jun commented angrily, his brows furrowing in frustration.

“But why? No one even knows our Lady Jade.” Lily asked in confusion.

Kun frowned, “The people only found out about her existence last week. Your Highness, do you think this was an internal attack?”

“It has to be. But who would go after her?” Minghao pondered out loud, tapping his chin thoughtfully.

A name immediately came to mind, but I kept my thoughts to myself. Jun caught my gaze, and I couldn’t help but feel we were thinking the same thing.

“It doesn’t matter. They have no idea who they’re messing with. I’ll-!” Jun grimaced mid-sentence, grasping his arm, “Ah, it shouldn’t hurt this much.”

“Highness!” Kun was at Jun’s side faster than any of us could move, unwrapping the makeshift bandage around his arm. The cut was turning green around the edges, which definitely wasn’t normal. “. There’s poison on the blade.”

“Poison?!” I shrieked, reaching my hands towards Kun.

Jun shook his head and jerked his arm back, “Brother, keep her away.”

Minghao silently grabbed my arm, pulling me back. I glared at Jun, “I just want to help!”

“Help by staying over there for now,” He explained calmly, beads of sweat forming on his forehead.

Kun pulled out a packet from his belt, and opened it hastily, pouring a white powder over Jun’s open wound. He hissed, and Kun hummed in understanding, dumping the entire contents of the small packet.

“We need to get the Eldest Prince back to the Palace.” Kun explained, helping Jun to stand. He still held his arm with his free hand. I took a step towards him, but Minghao’s firm voice stopped me.

“Priestess Jade,” was all he said, but his eyes and voice sent a word of warning to me. I swallowed anxiously, watching Kun lead Jun out of the ruined shop. The rest of us followed behind them while I stared at Jun’s back sullenly.

 

At the Eldest Prince’s Palace

I paced the area in front of Jun’s rooms, making the guards dizzy with my constant back and forth.

I was worried about Jun. Would he die from poison? If he died, would the dream end? Would I never see him again?

I had no idea what was happening behind those huge doors, and thatothat scared me, for too many reasons. Minghao approached the steps leading towards Jun’s room, smiling once he reached me.

“High Priestess, he’ll be fine. My brother and I have been drinking poison since we were children.”

I froze, staring at him in shock, “Say what?”

“We’re princes. Everyone has their eye on the throne, but my brother and I are the closest to getting it. Our mother made sure we had a little bit of poison every day. We’ve built up a pretty good tolerance, so unless these attackers are from another realm, my Eldest Brother will be fine.” Minghao seemed so calm about everything, but I was two seconds from completely freaking out. What kind of torture were they put through as children?

“Priestess,” Kun emerged from behind the doors, a grin spreading easily across his face, “The Prince is calling for you.”

I bolted, ignoring the chuckles of the other two in my rush to get to Jun. I burst into the room just as the doctor was saying goodbye, and Jun tilted his head in confusion when I ran up the dias, climbed into the bed, and nearly knocked him over in a hug.

“Jade… You shouldn’t jump into a man’s bed so willingly. You’re a High Priestess now, remember?” He teased, returning my embrace.

I glared and pinched his healthy arm, making him yelp out loud, “This is all your fault. Why’d you mess around and get poisoned?”

Jun smiled softly, touching his hand to my cheek, “I couldn’t let them touch you. This poison would have killed you in a few days.”

My heart raced in fear at the thought. I guess Jun could see it in my expression because he patted my cheek reassuringly, “Just as it is your duty to speak to the gods on my behalf, it’s my duty to protect you.”

I shook my head, “Maybe this isn’t my duty, Jun. I’m not supposed to be your High Priestess.”

Jun sighed, “This again? Jade, we discussed this already. You’re the only High Priestess I’ll acknowledge, now and forever.”

“Jun, hear me out,” I insisted, adjusting my position on the bed so I was sitting on my knees, “Those men attacked us and yelled about a ‘false Priestess’. That’s me. You and I both know they came there for me.”

Jun frowned, “And that’s why they died.”

“Jun, don’t be stubborn.”

This time, it was his turn to shake his head, “I only have one High Priestess. I will only ever have one High Priestess.”

“Jun-” I started to protest, but he pulled me closer with his free arm and stared me down.

“If you keep arguing with me, I’m going to have to punish you.” His voice dropped an octave, and I my lips, drawing his gaze to my mouth. He leaned into me, his eyes searching my face. “Are you going to keep going against me?”

I crossed my arms, trying to force myself to focus on the topic at hand, “If your people are upset about me taking this position, I can just give it up.”

“Jade, I can still punish you with an injury.” Jun reminded me, leaning closer and closer.

“I’m not afraid of you.” I shot back, feeling frustrated at his attempts to shut me up. I wasn’t going to back down in front of those beautiful eyes.

“You should be.” Our faces were mere inches apart, as close as they possible could be. “I won’t allow anyone else to be my High Priestess. Ever. I only want you, Jade.”

I was humbled by his words, like an idiot. I warned myself that this was a dream,nand nothing else.

“Why me?” I whispered, but Jun didn’t look like he was listening. I could feel his breath on my lips.

“You found me,” he answered softly, “You found me, and…" My heart squeezed at the vulnerable sound in his voice. "I needed someone to find me."

I linked my arms behind his neck to hug him, but Jun had other plans. He closed the space between us, pressing his mouth against mine. He felt warm against me, his kiss soft and comforting, and he tasted amazing. Jun increased the pressure, and I melted against him.

I knew this was just a dream... But maybe, I didn't need to wake up. Not yet.

End Chapter 8