Chapter 5

Dreamwalker

Dreamwalker

 

 

5. Chapter 5

 

 

 

“I…”

I racked my brain for a logical answer to Jun’s question. I didn’t want to lie to him, but I knew telling him the truth wouldn’t make any sense either. He’d probably have me locked up in the deepest dungeon for sounding like a lunatic.

I hesitated for longer than I meant to, making Jun sigh in frustration, and turn away from me. He grabbed my wrist again, pulling me further along behind him. I let him lead me away from the King’s Palace in silence, battling myself internally as our setting slowly changed into a smaller, but still large palace.

The servants faces were a blur as we walked through an immaculate courtyard and across the grounds of the Eldest Prince’s palace. We walked through so many corridors and bridges that I’d need a GPS to find my way out of here.

I couldn’t really focus on my surroundings though; still warring with myself about how much information I could give Jun. I had no doubt in my mind he probably wouldn’t believe me. Hell, I barely believed this was happening, and I had no idea what would happen if I actually told him that his entire world was nothing but a dream. Would everything around us shatter instantly?

It wasn’t until the doors of Jun’s familiar, lavish bedroom were closed behind us that he finally got fed up with me.

“It’s taking you a ridiculously long time to come up with your lie. If you want to live, you’ll have to be quicker,” Jun warned me, taking a seat on his bed. I followed him up the steps towards the bed with a frown, stopping at the very last one.

I frowned, “Shouldn’t I be honest?”

Jun shook his head adamantly, clearly not pleased with my answer, “Honesty will also get you killed here,” At my worried expression, his gaze softened a little, “Not by me. Your life is still safe with me.”

I nodded, taking a seat at the top step of the dias where his bed stood, mulling over his words. I heard movement behind me, and Jun took a seat to my right, tilting his head curiously, “Why are you sitting on the floor?”

“Well, I can’t sit on your bed, can I? Isn’t there some kind of rule?”

Jun smirked, “As my Priestess, you can even sleep in my bed, if you’d like.”

“Tell me more about being a High Priestess.”

“Tell me who you are first.” Jun bargained, and I huffed.

“That isn’t up for negotiation.” I retorted, and Jun reached for my hands, squeezing them softly to get my attention.

“If we’re going to trust each other, this is the first step.” He urged, and I couldn’t exactly argue with that logic, “I can’t protect you if I have no idea what I’m protecting you from.”

“Why do you want to protect me?” I asked curiously, turning to face him fully.

“Something about you just-,” Jun caught my eyes, and stared intensely at me for the duration of a full breath before I felt compelled to look away. Jun didn’t seem to be bothered by my reaction, resuming his speech as if he hadn’t just gazed into my entire being, “Anyway, you owe me for saving you from my Royal Father.”

I chewed my bottom lip. He had a point, but I still didn’t want to do something irreversible by doing too much in this world. I wasn’t sure if walking between realms had rules, like time travel did in the movies.

“I’m… from a place far, far away. So far, you’ve never seen it, or heard of it,” I replied sagely, hoping that satisfied his craving for an answer.

“The Jade Mountains are not too far, but they are more vast than the mere eye can see. Your energy feels similar to the other members of the Jade Sect, so even if you weren’t born from that region, perhaps you are still of that region.”

“Have you met members of the Jade Sect before?”

“Everyone has. The Jade Sect is our holy land -- every monk, priest, priestess, shaman, and shamaness can trace their origins there. Every child in that region is born with jade in their mouths, and the religious scrolls grasped in their tiny fingertips. Each tribe sends their youth out to begin their pilgrimage within the secular world, though some return home to teach a few worthy outsiders their religious ways.”

“And you’re saying my energy matches theirs?”

Jun nodded, “I can feel that pure power flowing through you. It feels… familiar.”

“Familiar?”

Jun shook his head, confusion clear in his dark eyes, “I’m not sure how or why, but...I’ve felt this energy before. I can’t quite name it; no matter what, I know for sure, you have the ability of a High Priestess.”

“Is there a difference between other priestesses and me?”

Jun’s lips curled into an enchanting smile as he tugged me closer, wrapping an arm around my waist. He leaned in close to me, staring into my eyes again, “The others don’t matter because you’re the one that belongs to me, Jade.”

I rolled my eyes at his overdramatic line, scoffing incredulously, “You’re kidding, right?” When Jun shook his head, that dazzling smile still on his face, I blanched, “W-What?” I squeaked, completely taken aback.

“As my High Priestess, no man can touch you. You cannot get married, nor have children. You serve as my mouthpiece to the Heavens, so you must remain untouched by the hands of men. You are mine, and mine alone, for the rest of our lives.” Jun told me heatedly, tilting my chin forward with his free hand to make sure I saw he absolutely wasn’t joking with me.

I was two seconds from freaking the hell out, “Y-You mean, like… Like marriage or something?”

Jun nodded his head resolutely, “Exactly like that. Right now, you have the highest rank in my palace, just below my own. Not even my future wife will be able to stop you,” Jun tapped my nose with his index finger, “But there is a price. The rules for your new role are also the most strict in the Kingdom. A single step out of line could end your life.”

I balked, stuck between being flustered, and more than a little afraid of my new position, “So, what can I do?”

Jun gave me a relaxed smile, “Follow me completely. I already told you that your life is safe with me. I’ll protect you no matter what, but we need to trust each other implicitly.”

I nodded, thinking his words over. If I died in this place, I might not be able to go back to my real body ever again. It wasn’t worth the risk.

“Now that you’ve heard everything, I’m afraid our time is up.” Jun stood up, helping me to my feet.

I lifted an eyebrow in confusion, “Huh?”

“The ceremony-” Jun started to say, just as a soft knock interrupted our conversation. “You may enter,” Jun commanded, and a gorgeous man stepped forward in dull gray robes that didn’t suit him at all. Behind him, six servants filed into the room one-by-one, their arms laden with all types of fabric, jewelry, and an assortment of bottles and containers. The entire group bowed low to the ground in the Prince’s presence. The man at the front rose first, without Jun commanding him too.

The man’s appearance was killer -- on par with Jun’s, if not better, with more mature angles and a chiseled jaw of pure perfection. He had trustworthy brown eyes, and a youthful face. His dark hair was worn straight down his back with only a single clip keeping his hair out of his face. He couldn’t have been older than his early 30s, though he seemed wise beyond his years. If he had worn ornate clothing like Jun, I’d have thought he was a prince of the Onyx Kingdom as well.

“Monk Yang.” Jun inclined his head in the man’s direction, nudging me forward slightly, “This is Jade. She’s the one I told you about.”

The man smiled warmly at me, moving towards me curiously, “She has more power than I anticipated.”

Jun nodded, looking me over thoughtfully, “I’m not sure how I missed it on our first meeting, but I’m of the same mind.”

I glanced between the two of them uneasily, “What are you two talking about?”

Monk Yang took hold of my elbow, guiding me down the dias, “The Prince suspected that you were a child of the Jade Sect. Today, I can confirm that you are. Which tribe you belong to, and how you managed to arrive here, we’re still unsure-,” Something caught the monk’s eye, and he paused mid-step to face me fully, “What is that object you’re wearing?”

My hands immediately went to the necklace Lucas had given me, “This? It was given to me.”

A look of recognition crossed the monk’s face, but he remained quiet as one of the servants on the ground spoke up, “Your Highness, preparations for the ceremony are complete. We’re here to collect the High Priestess and help her get ready for the First Rite.”

“Please take good care of our High Priestess. We can’t have anything go wrong during the Bonding Ceremony.” Jun’s voice was colored with amusement as I spun around to face him in surprise.

Whatever the hell that was, I didn’t like the sound of it. “B-Bonding Ceremony?”

Jun joined us at the bottom of the dias, clapping a reassuring hand on my shoulder, “You’re my High Priestess now, Jade. We have to be of one mind and soul.”

“None of what you’re saying makes sense-”

“Monk Yang will explain more to you on the way.” Jun smiled knowingly, giving me another gentle push towards the servants still bowing their heads. “You may rise, and High Priestess Jade to her quarters.” The servants rose and began to crowd around us, leading Monk Yang and I out of Jun’s room.

“Don’t forget -- my favorite color is black!” He called behind us, as I was shepherded away from the only familiar face I knew in the palace.

Monk Yang patted my elbow, leaning in to whisper to me softly, “Do not let anyone remove the stone from your neck.”

“H-How did you know?”

“My sister-,” Monk Yang caught himself, shaking his head, “Now is not the time to explain. Be sure to wear that stone at all times. We will talk more later.”

I nodded, shifting my focus to the direction that this herd of people were taking me to. We stepped through two sets of sliding doors to arrive to what I could only guess was another bedroom.

It was a set of rooms, separated by various rice paper dividers, with the exception of the large four-poster bed lining the furthest wall in the room. The bed was covered with gauzy curtains in a lavender color, and a soft looking bed-spread in the same shade. There was a mahogany table with 2 chairs beside a window that opened into a courtyard. I noticed that my room was set directly across from where Jun’s private quarters were.

Behind the room divider to my right, I could see a vanity and makeup chair. Monk Yang took me stepped towards that particular divider while the servants began to delicately lay out each item at the foot of the bed. There were two servants standing behind the divider, pouring a pitcher of hot water into a giant wooden tub. They immediately stopped what they were doing when Monk Yang and I appeared, bowing so far down on the ground, I was sure it hurt.

“The first step in the Ceremony is the cleansing of the Priestess. You’ll be given a bath in your private quarters before you are allowed to bathe with the Prince. Only after you both have washed away the sins of the world, and exposed your souls to one another, can the Ceremony be completed.”

Did I hear him correctly? There’s no way he was saying what I thought he was. “Expose our souls? Wha-?”

Monk Yang coughed, “These girls are named Lily and Flora. From now on, they are your personal attendants. They will help you bathe, and wash your hair.”

Lily and Flora were clearly sisters, though Lily was obviously the younger of the two. I was surprised to find that they were more tanned than everyone else I had seen so far, though I was still darker toned than either of them. They both had wide, feline shaped eyes, and dark hair bound tightly in a single, waist length, thick braid. A few stray ringlets had managed to escape the style though, hinting at a hair texture that was closer to mine than Jun’s. Their features and faces were evidence of having at least one Black parent.

Lily was thinner than her curvier sister, though the latter was only a few inches taller than her younger sibling. Both girls were dressed in plain robes, their clothing a tad more elaborate than what Monk Yang was wearing. They were unlike anyone I had seen in the Onyx Kingdom so far, but I was definitely happy to see someone with skin and hair similar to mine.

“Hi Lily, Flora. I’m Jade,” I told them, waiting on one of the other girls to say something. Lily peeked up at me from the ground, and Flora nudged her sister with her elbow indignantly, cutting her eyes at her younger sibling before they resumed bowing their heads low. I realized they weren’t going to stand up until I told them to, “Uh, you… may rise?” I recalled the phrase Jun had used earlier when speaking to the other servants.

Lily jumped up quickly, her sister Flora following her actions, albeit much more gracefully.

“My lady, we are here to serve you. Please don’t be afraid to ask us for whatever you need,” Flora told me in an exceedingly formal tone.

My stomach growled suddenly, just like in real life. Why was I feeling hungry in a dream? I made a mental note to ask Lucas about that later.

“Can I have food right now? That won’t interrupt the ceremony, right?” I asked, my gaze sweeping across the three people surrounding me.

“Of course not!” Lily replied cheerfully, and Flora glared her down for speaking out of turn.

I smiled, liking Lily’s attitude already, “Lily, can you get me something to eat? I’m not picky. Anything is fine.”

Lily gave me a warm smile and hurried off to do what I asked, while Monk Yang cleared his throat loudly, “High Priestess Jade, I’ll leave you to your bath. Someone will lead you to His Highness after a while.”

I nodded, just as Flora stepped forward to try and help me undress. Monk Yang excused himself, and Flora stared at my clothes, clearly puzzled.

“You don’t have to do this for me. I can dress myself,” I told her, already reaching to pull my dress over my head. I dropped it on the floor at my feet, and moved to remove my undergarments. Flora eyed my clothes oddly, probably because they didn’t fit in with her world.

“But, my lady-” Flora protested, and I shook my head immediately, cutting her off.

“No, really. It’s weird to have someone else undress me. I’ll do it.” I explained, stepping out of my underwear, not showing an ounce of shyness. There was no reason to be modest as a dancer. The best clothes were the ones that didn’t inhibit my body’s ability to move.

I climbed up on a stepstool that had been placed beside the large wooden tub and sank in, the warm water feeling like a balm against my skin. I was still sore from falling out of the sky, and the lightly scented bath water was just what I needed.

“H-High Priestess, shall I wash your hair for you?” Flora seemed nervous, but I couldn’t blame her -- I’d be nervous too if some strange woman suddenly showed up unannounced and uneducated on the ways of my world.

I nodded my head, “Will you stop being so nervous if I say yes?”

Flora gave me a small smile, and I saw some of the tension relax in her shoulders, “It’s just… Rarely do I meet people here that look like my father…”

“I look like your Father?” I mused, as Flora moved the stool so that she could wash my hair from outside of the tub. She filled her pitcher full of bath water and rinsed my hair first.

“You have the same skin color,” She commented softly, a twinge of sadness coloring her voice.

“Where is he?” Flora remained silent, and I tried to re-phrase my question, “Are your parents alive?”

“Yes, but-”

Lily burst into the room then, cheerfully rushing over with a tray of food, “My lady, I brought you something to eat!”

I smiled, waving her closer to the tub, my conversation with Flora on the back-burner, “Grab that stool and come eat with me. You have some too, Flora,” Both girls looked at me as if I had grown a third head. I pushed out a breath, reminding myself that they probably weren’t used to people sharing with them, “There’s too much food here, and I don’t want it to go to waste.”

Flora looked uneasily between me and her sister, but Lily was quick to move closer, handing me a handful of grapes, before popping a few in as well. Flora followed suit, carefully, watching me for any reaction.

Instead, I turned back to Lily, “How old are you, Lily? You are obviously the little sister.”

“Yes, my lady, I’m 16 years old! My sister just turned 19!”

So I was older than both of them, though Flora and I were practically the same age, “How did you two end up here?”

Lily opened to explain, but Flora shushed her before she could answer my question. She ate a few dates, and then went back to dipping my hair in the water, “My lady, we don’t have much time before the Eldest Prince sends someone for you.”

She was good at dodging questions, but I let her have some breathing room. After all, I wasn’t too willing to answer any questions about myself either.

In no time at all, I was bathed; my hair washed and combed, then dressed in a stark white, loose fabric, that wrapped around my body like a towel. Lily tied the fabric at tightly at my back, making sure it was secured to my form. Flora stepped forward with a long piece of black fabric next, and tied it around my waist. I assumed it was a skirt by the way it draped across my legs. Finally, Flora walked over with a sheer black overdress, trimmed in gold with billowing sleeves. Together, both sisters helped me thread my arms through the garment, followed by one final touch as Lily secured a matching black and gold belt at my waist, pulling everything together.

I honestly felt like this was a lot of clothes to put on, just to take another bath, but I kept my comments to myself.

As Monk Yang had told us, a servant soon announced his presence, and we rushed to leave the room. This man led us to another building (seriously, how big was Jun’s palace?) where Jun stood outside with a group of people, waiting for us. Jun’s eyes lit up when he finally saw me, and he awarded me with a dazzling smile.

“That color suits you,” He told me warmly, making the people around us avert their eyes in embarrassment. Jun seemed like he meant what he was saying, so I mumbled a thank you at the compliment.

Jun parted the people between us, stepping into my personal space to grab my hand firmly, “Come. We have to start the second part of the Bonding Ceremony.”

Jun lead me towards the wide red columns of the new (to me) building, and as we approached, the doors were thrown wide open at our arrival. Two servants bowed and stepped over the threshold, joining the crowd behind us. When Jun and I finally entered the “bath house”, everyone else remained outside. The two servants closed the heavy doors behind us, and we were left alone in what I was sure would become my favorite place in all of the Onyx Kingdom so far.

The air was thick and misty from the bubbling waters of the pool, set in the center of the floor like a hot tub. A cozy alive was arranged to the left side of the pool, filled with pillows and furs set on a cushion-covered, curved bench that looked perfect for lounging on. In the center of the alcove sat a circular table, where a pitcher, goblets, and two towels had been placed, ready for our second bath of the day.

Jun brought me over to the alcove, releasing my hand to pick up the pitcher on the table. He gracefully poured a burgundy colored liquid in two small, but somehow deep goblets, and handed one to me. I could smell the alcohol before the cup touched my lips.

“Does your kingdom have a drinking age?” I asked absentmindedly, wondering if I would be considered underage here too.

“A ‘drinking age’?”

“The age at which it is legal for one to consume alcohol,” I stated matter of factly, taking a sip of the drink. It was good, sweet, and it felt refreshing on my tongue, so I drank a little more.

“Is there such a custom in the Jade Sect? Anyone in our kingdom may drink as long as he can keep his state of mind. Of course, children can’t purchase it for themselves.” Jun explained, draining his cup. He was already pouring himself another when I was only halfway through mine.

“How old were you when you had your first drink?”

“Very young. I’m immune to many things,” Jun teased with a prideful grin, taking another large sip from his cup.

“Immune, or just never hit your limit?” I countered, watching Jun drink through his second cup in no time. I took my time with mine, wanting to stay as sober as possible.

Jun laughed, “Both. You’ll never find anyone in our Kingdom that can drink more than I.” He reached for my cup, holding it from the opposite side, and leveled a more serious look at me, “Do you know what happens next?”

“We’re supposed to ‘expose our souls’ or something? Whatever the hell that means,” I recounted, trying and failing to imagine what our next steps would be.

Jun nodded slowly, placing my cup down and closing the gap between us. He placed his hands on my shoulders, “We have to go in the bath together.”

I narrowed my eyes suspiciously, “No one else is here to see if we do or don’t.”

Jun chuckled, “You’re smart, but unfortunately, someone will come in to check on us soon enough.”

I pouted, glancing furtively at the billowing sleeves of my clothes, “I can’t get in with all this stuff on,” I mumbled.

I wasn’t sure if Jun heard my complaints, or just read the expression on my face because he gave me a reassuring smile, “Do you need help?”

I nodded once, and he moved to stand behind my back, reaching for the ties that held my belt around my waist.

“Usually, a member of the Jade Sect is assigned to each member of the royal family at a young age,” Jun’s voice was soft as he unwound my belt finally, folding the item neatly on top of the table. “The date and time of the Bonding Ceremony is decided by the Emperor. I never expected my Royal Father would overturn my Grandfather's decision for me.”

I thought back to earlier in the day, when the King announced my new title, and a woman broke down into hysterical tears, “Was your old High Priestess the woman that was crying earlier?”

Jun sighed, “Xiao Ai can't recieve the rank of High Priestess without a new assignment. She will most likely be given to one of my brothers now. I’ll miss her company, though I can’t say I’m not relieved. I never imagined that I’d be having this ceremony with someone else...” Jun embraced me around my waist to reach for the ties that kept my skirt fastened. He unwrapped the garment and added it to the pile, leaving me standing in nothing but the thin, tube top underdress that I knew was slightly see-through. “However it happened, I’m grateful for your help. You’re sacrificing more than you know.”

He took one of the towels from the table, and handed it to me over my shoulder. I turned slightly to grab it from him, but got distracted at the sight of a blush spreading across Jun’s cheeks. It made me smile -- Jun was brave enough to lie to the King in front of all his subjects, but undressing a woman was apparently a bit much for him.

“Aren’t you going to help me with the rest?” I teased, making Jun’s blush grow as he moved away from me to reach for the other towel on the table. He poured himself another cup of wine, turning his back to me while I untied the final bit of fabric on my own, wrapping the towel around my body instead. I wasn’t shy about my body, but since Jun was trying to be respectful, I’d follow his lead.

“I’m going to get in the water now,” I announced, crouching near the hot water and sliding my feet into the water first. I sank down until I was submerged up to the top of my shoulders, keeping my back turned to Jun. The water was much hotter than the warm bath I had before, but it still felt nice.

“Jun?” I called, listening to the rustle of clothes behind me. I figured he was undressing now. Jun hummed softly in response, acknowledging that he was listening to me, “After this, what’s going to happen to us?”

Instead of answering, Jun stepped into my line of vision from the other side of the pool, lowering himself into the water. He had wrapped his towel around his waist, revealing a milky complexion and a nice set of abs. Jun wasn’t bulky or overly muscular by any means, but he had a surprisingly broad chest and nice shoulders for his otherwise slim frame. He had a dancer’s body, which caught my attention immediately.

“Do you like what you see?” It was Jun’s turn to tease me, and I immediately shifted my gaze back up to his handsome face, as he watched me with an eyebrow raised.

I coughed, and changed the subject, “Is it really customary for a High Priestess to bathe and sleep with the prince?”

Jun chuckled, “The Bonding Ceremony has Three Rites. This ‘cleansing’ is the Second Rite. We’ll move on to the Third Rite, and that takes the longest.”

“Which is?”

“We will be locked in them temple to fast and pray until tomorrow morning,” Jun announced without an ounce of enthusiasm.

“Wow. Whoever came up with this ceremony needs to be fired immediately,” I complained, not looking forward to starving or staying up all night. Good thing I ate before the first bath.

“That’s why we should get drunk now. It might help the time go faster.” Jun suggested, and I agreed, holding my towel steady as I climbed out of the pool to bring the tray with our cups and wine on it. I placed the tray at the pool’s edge and pour another cup, wading over to hand it to Jun first.

I downed the next cup I poured, wondering if I would feel the effects of alcohol in a dream. I was feeling a tad warmer, but I figured it was from the water, not from the wine. I was in the process of putting my cup back on the tray when my wrist began to throb again. I winced, placing the cup down with my other hand, and turning back to face Jun.

He watched me over the rim of his glass while I began to stretch my arm. I was rotating my wrist, when he finally placed his cup at the edge of the pool, “You’re hurt?”

I flexed my wrist this way and that, trying to stretch it properly. It hurt still, but I pushed through it, continuing to count my flexes in my mind. Jun came over to my side of the water, taking hold of my wrist mid stretch and squeezing it slightly. I yelped.

“You’ve been injured this entire time,” He frowned, turning my wrist this way and that to see if there were any visible bruises or marks. There wasn’t, but I was curious to see what he’d do.

Jun threaded our fingers together and pressed his palm against mine, forcing my hand back slightly. With his other hand, he began to rub his thumb into the underside of my wrist, and then further up my arm. I winced at the pressure at first, but his touch was gentle enough that the pain subsided.

“Do you do this often?” I asked softly, my voice dropping an octave as his hand massaged up to the inner part of my elbow, then back down my arm.

“For my little brother. He studies too much, and stretches less. I can take you to meet him tomorrow.”

I nodded, struggling to keep my eyes open under his ministrations. I failed, and my eyes slid shut against the relaxing combination of Jun’s massage and the hot water around us. The room was silent except for the soft bubbling of the water.

Jun stilled his movements, his hands still grasping my arm. I opened my eyes to find him staring intently at me. I was feeling short of breath with us standing so close to each other, his onyx eyes fixated on mine.

“I truly though you were a figment of my imagination after you vanished. Or perhaps, a dream I had conjured up in my mind from a distant memory,” he murmured, a thoughtful frown covering his features.

“And now?”

“Now, I keep touching you to make sure you’re real. I have to stop doing that,” Jun released my arm, and took a cautious step away from me. My brows furrowed in confusion.

“Isn’t the High Priestess allowed to do whatever she wants?”

Jun shook his head, running his fingers through his hair with a sigh. He placed his hands on either side of my body, trapping me between his broad chest and the pool’s edge, “Remember what I told you earlier, Jade? As my High Priestess, no man can touch you. That includes me.”

I nodded slowly, coming to terms with what he said. I wasn’t the type to be handsy with my friends, so it wouldn’t be a challenge for me. It would be a shame though, given how gorgeous Junhui was. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't physically attracted him. Iscanned his face, my eyes falling subconsciously on his mouth.

It was definitely a shame.

Gathering myself, I gave Jun a reassuring smile, “There’s nothing that says we can’t be friends, right? Friends can work together.”

An odd look crossed Jun’s features, but he returned my gesture with a half-smile of his own, “Friends can work together,” he repeated, nodding a few times to convince himself.

He reached behind me and grabbed the pitcher of wine, taking it back over to his side of the pool. For the rest of our time, we chatted about the kingdom and my new responsibilities. In no time, Lily and Flora entered the bath house, followed by Monk Yang.

“We’ve finished preparations for the Final Rite. Lily, Flora, please help your mistress dress.” Monk Yang commanded, and I immediately started climbing out of the pool, to everyone’s surprise.

“P-Priestess, wait!” Monk Yang shouted, spinning on his heel and covering his eyes, making Jun and I laugh loudly.

“You told me to get dressed!” I admonished, while Lily and Flora covered their giggles behind their hands. They led me over to the alcove, and drew the curtains to conceal me from wandering eyes while. They dressed me in another set of all black clothes that was lined in golden thread.

When they were finished Lily drew the curtain back. Jun and Monk Yang had already disappeared.

“Let’s wait for the Eldest Prince at the temple,” Flora suggested, and I agreed since there wasn’t much else for me to do.

“My Lady,” Lily whispered to me, “How are you so brave? You just climbed out of the pool with two men in the room!”

“Just call me Jade,” I replied, lowering my voice to match Lily’s tone, “Jun said that no man can touch me, so I have nothing to be afraid of.”

“Y-You’re addressing His Highness by his given name?!” Flora gasped, in shock.

I shrugged, “We’re friends now. Friends use each other’s name; not their titles."

“Priestess Jade, you’re too bold,” Lily replied, but by the way she was beaming at me, it sounded like a compliment.

The Temple was much like every other place in the Onyx Palace: massive and opulent, though surprisingly dim. There were lanterns lit throughout the room, but it was darker than I expected and smokey from the giant bronze pans of incense set throughout the room. I noticed as we walked along that there were people standing next to each smoky pan, making sure the incense continued to burn.

It made me wonder how hard it was for the Royal Family to be alone, as it seemed like there was always some person waiting in the shadows to do something everyone was capable of managing themselves. It seemed wasteful, and kind of ridiculous. I wonder if any of those people fanning the flames or managing the lanterns were able to go home after doing these jobs. Probably not.

As we neared an altar with a gigantic, solid gold phoenix, Lily and Flora stopped a good twenty feet away. They bowed in front of me, both lowering their gaze as they had earlier, “Priestess, we are not allowed to enter any further than here.”

I nodded, even though I thought it was a stupid rule, “If you see Jun, tell him I’m here already.”

“Where else would you have gone?” I turned to see Jun and Monk Yang stepping out from behind a pillar near the statute, both of them smiling at me in greeting. Monk Yang waved at me, and stepped away to command the others to leave the room, and one buy one, the incense was put out as each person was dismissed from their post. Jun motioned for me to follow him, and together we walked up a dias where two seat cushions had been placed a single step below the giant statue.

“And now, the Third Rite begins,” Jun told me solemnly, clapping his hands together and bowing his head. I followed his actions, closing my eyes while I listened to the others slowly clear out of the temple. Silence enveloped the room, and we were alone, once again.

End Chapter 5