2/2

Heart Out

The next day, after Eunbi had yet again skip the last twenty minutes of her chemistry class, she sat on the bleachers browsing her phone until the door opened and entered the captain herself.

She was startled upon seeing Eunbi there, believing the gym to be empty. Sojung debated walking back out, but seeing how she had already been rude to the girl countless of times, she decided to stay.

“I didn’t think anyone would be here.” She admitted once she got closer to Eunbi, stepping up the stairs and sitting near her.

“I can leave if you want.” Eunbi offered but she knew she really couldn’t. Where the hell was she going to go anyway, she was already skipping chemistry.

“No stay,” Sojung attempted to ease her worries and placed a hand on her thigh. At being met with flesh rather than rough jeans, Sojung’s eyes widened and she quickly brought her hands back like she’d been burn.

“I-I didn’t mean to touch your thigh, I thought you were wearing jeans.”

“It’s okay, I liked it.” Eunbi smiled at her until her brain registered the words that had come out and she was now the one fumbling with her words. “I-I didn’t mean that. I mean I didn’t like it- but that doesn’t mean I hated it, I just-”

“You sure know how to take away someone’s awkwardness. Don’t worry about it, Eunbi.”

“So what exactly are you doing here?”

Sojung blew out a heavy sigh, slouching onto her knees. “You know that thing that happens? When your day starts out great and you feel like you’re on top of the world and then you suddenly crash down? That’s me right now.”

“I know that feeling, but unfortunately I never have an answer for it. But I know that music always helps, so if you want,” She went in her bag and pulled out her headphones and handed Sojung an ear. “We can listen to some tunes until you feel better.”

Sojung took it with a smile, “Thanks,” and shuffled closer to her, their shoulders touching.

They stayed like that for a while, just enjoying the music on Eunbi’s playlist and Sojung felt her mood pick up. This was way better than her original plan to sit and brood for thirty minutes, which would have just made her feel worse and Eunbi was great company. She also smelled really good, but that’s besides the point, Sojung quickly disregarded the thought.

She was having a good time, and it only got better when the next song that was shuffled was Ring Ding Dong. For some reason, laughter bubbled in and she didn’t fail to notice Eunbi’s sheepish grin.

“Yeah, sorry about that. It was stuck in my head after our practice, so I put it on my playlist.” Eunbi quickly tried to explain, her cheeks red in embarrassment.

Sojung found the whole thing even more amusing. “It’s okay, I’m not laughing at you-”

“But you’re not laughing with me, are you?” Eunbi teased.

Sojung pretended to think for a bit, but shook her head. “Nah, you’re right, I’m definitely laughing at you. But, I am proud that you thought about the cheers at home. That’s something.”

“Yeah, and I even practiced some of the moves,” Eunbi shared excitedly. “Now, I wouldn’t exactly say I’m an expert, but I have improved.”

“Oh, really? Then show me. I could help you improve on the parts you’re not sure of.” Sojung meekly suggested to her, and surprisingly, she found that Eunbi agreed. The girl nodded and promptly descended down the bleachers and onto the gym floor, seemingly eager to show her the moves.

Sojung smiled at her eagerness, finding it somewhat endearing.

Eunbi began quite better than Sojung had expected her to, the girl’s practice showing in the improvement of her moves. However, Sojung noticed she was still a bit stiff during the second routine in which they had to body roll. She would help her with that.

“How’s that?” Eunbi asked out breath, her chest noticeably heaving.

“Better than yesterday,” Sojung responded, “but you’re still stiff with the body rolls. You’re doing it too hard so it’s coming across forced.”

“Hey, you should be happy I even got my body to roll in the first place, I can’t dance for .”

Sojung shook her head in disagreement, “You might not be a great dancer, but you do have some rhythm in you. You just need to practice it more.” And then she got the brilliant idea. “Here I’ll show you.”

As Sojung made her down to her, Eunbi’s breathing picked up faster than when she was dancing. But who could blame her body’s response to Sojung sauntering to her, eyes never faltering from hers. Did she mention how intense those eyes were? Because they were. She was even wearing eyeliner and red lipstick, adding more edge to her already intimidating image.

Eunbi knew that if Sojung asked to collect her soul she’d hand wrap and deliver it to her.

“Alright, so, body rolling is just,” Sojung started, demonstrating with her body step by step to Eunbi. Unfortunately, her words went in one ear and out the other as all of Eunbi’s attention was focused on her body.

When Sojung was done and it was her turn to repeat what had supposedly been taught to her, Eunbi fumbled and revealed that she wasn’t paying attention at all. Sojung audibly groaned at the fact that she hadn’t paid attention and Eunbi worried that she had just ruined all the progress they had made until Sojung abruptly went and stood behind her.

What is she doing?

Eunbi’s thoughts were scattered when she felt Sojung roughly grab her hips and pull her backwards into her until her back was pressing on Sojung’s front. 

Well, .

Somehow, Sojung’s voice had gotten huskier as she instructed, “Tilt your hips a little and lean to the right.” A gasp almost escaped from Eunbi’s mouth as Sojung pressed her hand down on her left hip and brought it down. “Stick out your head then roll it back and stop. Now push out your chest.” With her hands occupied, Sojung pushed her chest against Eunbi’s back and prompted the girl to do what she was told. “Let your hips go forward and sit down.” At the sit down part, Sojung roughly pulled Eunbi’s hip down, the girl now hovering on Sojung’s lap.

“Now, let’s do it together. Try and follow everything I do.” Sojung stated before doing the moves herself, her hands still resting on Eunbi’s hips as she guided the girl to move with her. A groan bubbled in Eunbi’s throat as she tried not to let it slip every time Sojung pushed her hips into her back.

At a particular , she could call it that, right? Because oh God, Eunbi  in a sharp breath as the butterflies in her stomach raged and thrashed inside her. Jesus, she was going to die. Could Sojung hear her heavy breaths? Why wasn’t she saying anything more-

“… And then he brought me somewhere and I knew I had to get out that date before he pulled out a–”

At the voice of one of her cheerleaders walking in the gym, Sojung and Eunbi quickly separated, eyes widened and chests heaving.

Eunbi’s eyes fell on Eunha and Yuju as they held the two biggest smirks she had ever seen. Her humiliation only got worse when Eunha loudly began singing, “Sojung and Eunbi sitting in a tree, k-i-s-s-i-n-g,” and Yuju joined in until Yerin asked:

“Oh, what did we interrupt here?”

“Nothing,” Sojung quickly dismissed. “I was just teaching her the cheer moves.”

Eunbi’s eyebrow rose up at her response because while Sojung wasn’t wrong, she wasn’t right either. What they were just doing was not nothing.

“Hmm, alright.” Yerin sneered as the rest of the team came in and scattered around the gym.

“Use protection, girls,” Eunha snickered as Yuju joined in the laughter.

Deciding she better scatter before Sojung  her, Eunbi made her way back to the bleachers. There she tried to analyze Sojung and determine whether the attraction was on both sides. Was Sojung even gay? Bi? God, she hoped at least one those were true.

She’d have to subtly ask Eunha or Yuju one day. Better to know if she had a chance or not before she fell in deeper.

Surprisingly to Eunbi, her practice with Sojung after they’d been “caught” wasn’t as awkward as she had thought it’d be. Sojung didn’t even seem to remember the incident. Maybe she was serious about it being nothing. Eunbi felt a little disappointed at that, but was a bit relief that their brewing friendship wasn’t in jeopardy.

They seemed to be long lost best friends by how much alike they were, they also both live 20 minutes away from each other. Eunbi even joked that the universe was trying to pair them together and they were the ones messing up its plans. Sojung had only laughed and pushed her away jokingly, not giving Eunbi any indication as to how she felt about the pairing statement.

How was Eunbi supposed to find out who she was into if Sojung kept giving her nothing? God, she hoped she wasn’t falling for another straight girl. Her heart wouldn’t be able to take Sojung’s rejection.

But that doesn’t mean she was giving up. She’d figure it out with subtle touches and comments.

Unfortunately, they seemed to be way too subtle as two weeks had passed and she still didn’t have a definite answer. Maybe she was getting too preoccupied with all of it. Maybe her and Sojung were really meant to be just friends.

She just had to accept that, Eunbi reasoned with herself as she scrolled through her and Sojung’s past messages, trying to find some clues she’d miss. God, she was desperate. Sojung was straight and the sooner she accepted that, the less it would hurt further on.

She needed to get her out of her head. Practicing the moves would get her mind out of it.

Minutes into practicing, Eunbi was startled when she heard a voice say, “Your hip rotations have gotten better. I’m impressed.” but she smiled when she realized it was only Sojung.

“I have a good teacher.” Eunbi shrugged lamely.

“Eh, I’m not that good. This is all you.”

“So I have nothing to improve on?”

“Well, I wouldn’t say that.” She pushed off the wall and came toward Eunbi, standing right behind her and resting her hands on her hip – an action that had become a habit for Sojung.

“You really enjoy being behind me, don’t you?”

“What can I say, your back is magnetic.” She teased, before moving all of Eunbi’s hair to one side. “You need to wrap your hair up, or it’ll poke your eye out.”

“Well, unless you’re going to do it for me, then your advice was wasted because I don’t have a hair tie on me.”

“Lucky for you,” Sojung brought her wrist in line of Eunbi’s sight, showing her the red tie. “I have an extra.”

Eunbi smiled, “How convenient.”

“Yuju makes sure I always bring a spare in case one of hers breaks.”

“And you’re giving it to me?” Eunbi placed her hand comically over her heart and pretended to swoon. “You’re such a gentlewoman.” Sojung simply smiled and started to gather all of her hair. “Mind scratching a bit while you’re there?”

A low hum reached the back of as Sojung’s fingers delved into her hair, the girl lightly raking her nails on both sides rather than just the one asked. Once she deemed her scalp ready, Sojung began arranging her hair up in a messy bun.

“There, beautiful.” Sojung whispered near her ear, and Eunbi wasn’t sure what she was referring to but her heart hoped it was her. And then she felt her soft lips on the back of her neck and out of pure shock, she jumped forward and off Sojung’s grasp.

“God, I didn’t mean- I’m sorry.” Eunbi watched as Sojung’s eyes widened and she began to stutter. But before she could reassure her, Sojung ran away and out the gym.

!

Eunbi hoped Sojung didn’t take that in the wrong way, she was just taken by surprise by the kiss, that’s all. God, she should have went after her. Now she’d have to wait until it was time to practice to speak to her.

And when Sojung walked in ten minutes later, Eunbi jumped down from where she was sitting and immediately tried to talk to her.

“Sojung, listen, I was just surprised-”

“I got it, no need to explain.” Sojung curtly interrupted, her strides getting longer as she made her way to the locker room.

“No, you’re not listening, I’m saying that you kissing-”

“Sorry, only cheerleaders are allowed beyond this point.” Sojung interrupted her again, this time not even giving Eunbi a chance as she shut the locker door in her face.

Disheartened, Eunbi returned back to her seat.

“So, you’re the one Hwang is hooking up with.” Sojung heard behind her as she rested her head on the locker door with her eyes closed. She recognize the voice as Mina’s and could even detect the obvious smirk in her voice.

“What are you talking about now?” She really doesn’t have time for Mina’s bull.

“Oh girl, we see how she’s pining over.”

With an eyeroll, Sojung responded, “We’re not hooking up.”

“Good, because that girl is nothing but a womanizer. She does this to every girl and I’d hate to see you become another one on her list.”

“What?”

“Yeah,” She nodded. “She tried to kiss me three days ago when I was helping her study but I pushed her away and I guess she’s moving onto you now. But don’t let her fool you.”

“Mina, I’m really not in the mood right now, is what you’re saying even true?”

“Totally. You can even ask her if we weren’t tutoring three days ago.”

And then she left.

Sojung tried not to let what Mina said bother her, but no matter how hard she tried to pretend she didn’t care, her anger told her otherwise. Was she really just another chase to Eunbi? And why Mina?Out of all people.

“Sojung can we talk?” Was practice already over? What did she even do? “Sojung!”

Blinking, Sojung’s confusion subsided and her anger resurfaced as she started at the girl that was responsible. “There’s nothing to talk about. We were too caught up in the moment, that’s all.” She shrugged her off and Eunbi scoffed at her supposed indifference.

“That’s all? So you’re just going to ignore the obvious tension between us that caused this whole thing happened.”

“There is nothing between us, don’t be delusional. I don’t have any feelings toward you.” Sojung spat out and Eunbi had a feeling they were talking hundreds of steps backwards. “Now if you’re not here to practice then leave because some of us have other things to do than to waste time talking.”

“You’re just deflecting.” Eunbi desperately tried to get Sojung to see but the girl had turned to stone.

“If that’s what you want to believe, go ahead. But once again, you’re either here to practice or you’re leaving.”

God! She is so frustrating!

Eunbi figured she wasn’t going to get anywhere with Sojung’s current attitude. “You know what, you’re right. I’m not here to practice.” She stated and turned to walk away.

“I’m sorry I won’t become another girl on your list!” She was halfway to the door when Sojung yelled back at her.

“What?”

“I know that you do this. Mina told me that you take these helping activities to hook up with girls and I will not become another hook up. You tried to do it with her and you’re not going doing it to me.”

“Oh my God,” Eunbi said incredulously. “Do you actually believe her? Let me guess, she told you I tried to make a move on her? Well, guess what? She’s wrong. She’s the one who tried to kiss me and get into my pants but I pushed her away. And I was tutoring her, not the other way around. Do you really believe I need Mina’s help in anything? The girl who has to count on her fingers to figure out what three plus three is?”

“It’s not that hard to believe.”

“You know what, you Sojung. Is that why you’re pushing me away? Because you’re jealous?”

“I have nothing to be jealous of. Especially not of you.” Sojung couldn’t meet her eyes and that caused Eunbi to smirk. Sojung was being such a coward and frustrating that she wanted to push her until she stopped playing and admitted it.

“Oh, but I think you’re lying. What are you jealous of Sojung. Mina?” Eunbi slowly sauntered back to Sojung, stopping just in front of her. “How unlike her you don’t have the balls to stop hiding behind your status and ego to admit you like me?” Her hands trailed up and down Sojung’s arms, her smirk and confidence growing when she felt the older girl physically shudder. To add emphasis to her words, Eunbi leaned in and whispered in her ear, “Or are you just jealous that she actually got close enough to almost had what she wanted from me?”

Sojung suddenly shoved Eunbi backwards, her hand immediately colliding with her cheek. “Get out! Why are you even still here?!”

Dazed and strangely calm while palming her assaulted cheek, Eunbi simply nodded. “You’re right. There is nothing important here for me.”

Sojung watched in shame at her previous action as Eunbi took a couple steps backwards before turning and leaving the gym. An overwhelming feeling of sadness washed over her and she pursed her lips to keep the tears at bay.

She wouldn’t cry over her. Even if her heart felt like a piece had been ripped out.

At this point Sojung would have given anything to get rid of the caving sensation in her chest. The whole weekend following her fight with Eunbi had been literal hell for Sojung. She couldn’t stop replaying the whole scene in her head, each time wishing for a different outcome than the slap. God, she had actually slapped her. Eunbi would never forgive her, and honestly, she wouldn’t either had she been in her position.

But she just wanted her chest to stop hurting already.

“So not only was Eunbi sad as hell and bumming all of us out this weekend, but now you’re here moping near my french fries. Trouble in paradise, Sojung?”

Sojung didn’t even hear Eunha until the girl snapped her fingers repeatedly in front of her face. “What?”

Eunha rolled her eyes. “What happened with you and Eunbi last friday?”

Sojung averted her eyes back to her untouched food. “Nothing.”

“Come on, first you ignore her at practice and practically slam the door in her face and then I go see her and girl doesn’t want to speak to anyone, moping in her bed. And now you’re here looking like someone stole your puppy. Something happened, so spill.”

Sojung sighed, aware of the three eager pair of eyes waiting for her answer. But what was she even supposed to say when everything that happened felt like a blur? One minute they were fine and the next thing she knew her hand had made contact with Eunbi’s face.

“We had a fight.” She mumbled and Yuju and Yerin didn’t try to hide their eyerolls. She sighed, “I kissed her before practice and she flinched so I ran away and tried avoiding her, but then Mina told me in the locker room that Eunbi tried to make a move on her, and I got so angry and jealous that I said a bunch of things I didn’t mean. Long story short, I slapped her, but I didn’t even mean to, I was just so angry that I didn’t even know I did it until I heard the sound.”

The table was quiet as all three girls tried to make sense of what she had said until Yerin crudely asked, “And then y'all had makeup ?” to which Sojung gave her a deadly glare until she quickly apologized.  

“Well,” Yuju sighed. “You were definitely in the wrong there. You should be apologizing to her, not here brooding.”

“Wait, wait,” Eunha interrupted. “Why did you run away in the first place?”

Sojung shrugged. “I thought she was going to reject me.”

“Are you joking?” Eunha scoffed. “Why would she reject you, she’s been wanting to be with you for like ages, are you this oblivious? You probably just scared her or something because the Eunbi I know who wouldn’t stop staring at you whenever you breathe so much, wouldn’t have flinched at you kissing her.”

“You need to apologize,” Yuju reiterated. “Everyone here knows that Eunbi likes you and by the looks of it, you like her too.”

“So stop moping and fix this when she comes for practice later today.”

Sojung groaned and set her head on her palm. “I should have just told her I liked her that day. Now she’ll never give me another chance.”

“Don’t be so quick to say that. As long as you apologize, explain why you acted the way you did, and tell her you want to be with her, she’ll accept you back.” Yuju rolled her eyes at Sojung’s dense behavior. It really wasn’t that hard.

“Like Yuju has said for the hundredth time, just wait until today’s practice and set things straight.” Yerin advised. “As long as you’re sincere.”

They reassured her, and even though Sojung was really doubtful of the success rate, she tried not to let it show or dwell on the negatives too much. Even if Eunbi didn’t give her another chance, she still had to apologize.

But Eunbi wasn’t there when Sojung arrived at the gym twenty minutes like Eunbi had always done. And she didn’t show up at all during practice or after it. When she asked the girls if they’d seen Eunbi in school at all, their averted gaze told her all. Eunbi was avoiding her.

What the hell was she supposed to do now? She had no classes with the girl and by the time practice ended she had to be gone by then. She debated calling her, but she knew the likelihood of her call being answered was slim to none.

Especially when Eunbi didn’t show up on Tuesday either.

“Hey, I found out where Eunbi is,” Yuju pulled her aside during one of their breaks in practice. “My friend Yewon said Eunbi’s been going to the knitting club after school now.”

“Knitting? What is she doing there?”

“Sojung, she switched to it.” Yuju deadpanned. “Now, you need to go over there and talk to her.”

“I can’t just leave practice.”

“Yes, you can. I’ll tell the rest of the girls you had an emergency or something. Stop thinking about this and go!” Yuju all but pushed her out the gym door. Before it completely closed, she stuck her head out, “It’s room 316 on the second floor! Good luck!”

It took her a while before her mind reached her feet and started making its way to the second floor. She’d thought she’d have more time to rehearse what she was going to say, but she was there faster than she had thought.

Now what was she supposed to say? She couldn’t go in there while they were still going on, so she slid down to the floor near the door and waited for them to end.

Time appeared to stretch for eternity as she sat there, waiting and waiting.

And she waited, and waited, and waited until God finally took pity on her and the door opened, students scattering out. Sojung quickly stood up and when Eunbi was in near vicinity, she took hold of her hand and pulled her aside.  

“What are you doing?!” She immediately asked and Sojung wasted no time beating around the bush.

“Why’d you switch?”

“Why does it matter to you anyway? Shouldn’t you be practicing, I thought you didn’t waste time talking. Especially not with me.”

Sojung sighed. “Look, Eunbi, we said some hurtful things back there but they were in the heat of the moment. I’m here to apologize about hitting you and for the insensitive words I said. I didn’t mean any of them and I’m truly, deeply sorry.”

Eunbi appeared to muse over her words before she nodded, “Thanks for the apology,” and started to leave. Sojung quickly held onto her arm, stopping her and Eunbi sighed. “Sojung, what more do you want from me?”

“I don’t want to lose you. You were right back there, I do want you. I like you a lot, and I just got scared you were going to reject me when I kissed you so I ran and pushed you away. And then Mina came and said those things and it just made me so angry and jealous that I said those untrue, hurtful things. I’m really sorry and I’ll do whatever I need to do to show you that, but I’m not gonna let you walk away from me.”

Sojung’s heart hammered in her chest as the girl before her remained quiet and chewed on her bottom lip. She really felt like she had lost her until Eunbi cracked a smile and said, “It’s a good thing I like you too. Really like you.”

She was smiling too by the time relief completely washed over it, and it was all she could manage before Eunbi’s hand was on her cheek and she was being pulled for a kiss. Sojung’s frozen in total disbelief for a moment because Eunbi was kissing her, but before Eunbi could pull away due to her unresponsiveness, she kissed back. It was sweet and exhilarating at the same time as it lit up all the nerves and butterflies in her stomach. And when Eunbi tilted her head to deepen the kiss she had to suppress a moan.

Like all good things, the kiss eventually came to an end, but Sojung kept her eyes closed for a while to enjoy the tingling aftermaths for a while.

“How about you and I go get a bite somewhere else? My treat.” Sojung asked moments after she had opened her eyes.

“Is this your unofficial way of asking me out on a date?”

“Is this your unofficial way of accepting?” Sojung mocked.

With a comical finger resting on her chin, Eunbi pretended to muse over the question before she nodded and took Sojung’s hands in hers. “I want extra whipped cream in my milkshake.” She smiled as she led them toward the exit.

“Aren’t you worried about the boys they’ll bring?”

“And you say my jokes are lame.” Eunbi laughed and shook her head, loving the way Sojung was the back of her hand.

“They are,” She countered. “Mine are just slightly less lame.”

“Like you?”

“No, like that comeback.” Sojung smirked as she pushed the door open and they stepped out, eager for what lay ahead them.

end.

note: thank you for reading. do drop some comments and tell me what you think! :)