1/2

Heart Out

Mr. So Sungjin sighed at the sight of the familiar young girl making her way to his chair and gazed down at his calendar. Not even the end of the month yet and said girl had already been in four fights, this one included. This couldn’t keep going on because he had actually grown fond of the girl and to have to expel her would sadden him deeply.

But some tough decisions would have to be made.

Once she sat down in the chair, Mr. So cleared his throat and began. “Miss Hwang.” He curtly nodded and she did the same. “Want to explain to me your side of the story of why you ended up here again?”

“Does it really matter? You’re not going to believe me anyway.” She shrugged and Mr. So sighed again.

“Eunbi, this is your fourth fight this month alone. It’s obvious that detention and suspension are not working, so we’re going to have to try something else. Now before we begin, can you give me one good reason why I shouldn’t waste time and just expel you?” He had hoped that the prospect of expulsion would incite something in the young girl but she simply sighed and shrugged.

“We both know you’ve already made your decision and nothing I say is going to change your mind, so why not just hand me my suspension or detention slip and let me go?”

“Oh no,” He shook his head. “That’s way too easy, we’re doing something else. I’m going to give you a choice. Now, you can either stay out of trouble for the rest of the school year and join an extracurricular activity, helping the director; or you can choose to be expelled.”

“Why do I have to join an activity?”

“Because that way you’re kept busy and out of trouble. You’ll be acting as a helper to the leader of the club you choose and they’ll be my source as to how you’re progressing. Should they tell me you are missing club activities or disrespectful, I will have no choice but to expel you. Are we understood, Miss Hwang?”

Eunbi sighed and pretended to debate the choices in her head, but he knew he had her. She might have been rebellious, but she was not stupid enough to risk her education and get expelled.

“Alright, whatever. Do I at least get to choose the club?”

“Of course!” He smiled and handed her the sheet he had prepared on his desk. “There are only three leftover clubs that are not full, so you have the choices: astronomy, knitting, or cheerleading. Personally, I’d choose astronomy.”

“You’ve got to be kidding me.” Eunbi muttered but sighed in resignation. “Cheerleading.”

“Hmm, interesting choice, but nonetheless, I’ll alert them of the arrangement in time. They will be practicing in the gym from 2:30 to 3:00. Meet them there and don’t be late.”

“How long do I have even have to do this for?”

“Tell you what, come and see me in two months and if you’ve been upholding our deal, I’ll think about letting you off the hook. Now get back to class and don’t be late! 2:30, Miss Hwang!”

Eunbi rolled her eyes and quickly left his office, knowing well enough that she’d never make it to two months without some trying to start with her. Especially if they knew that their club was her last option at avoiding expulsion.

Honestly, her life.

Cheer captain Kim Sojung sat on the floor of the gym stretching for her warm ups as she curiously eyed the girl sat on the bleachers. Her eyes narrowed as she tried to remember everything she knew about the girl. So far, all she knew was that her name was Hwang Eunbi and that she was a troublemaker. Such a troublemaker that she had to join her cheer squad to avoid being kicked out school.

What a joke.

The principal was obviously playing favoritism and now because of that, Sojung had to now teach this girl cheer routines that they’d master months ago.

She better be a quick learner.

Hour and a grueling practice later, Sojung’s squad was tired and ready to head home. With no other new routine to learn, Sojung dismissed them and sat on the floor to catch her breath.

“You’re kicking our asses here, Kim!” One them said as she packed up her bags and left the gym.

Sojung sighed and closed her eyes, debating falling asleep on the floor until a voice approached her.

“So, am I the only one with eyes here who noticed that Hwang was sitting there ogling us? I thought people weren’t allowed in the gym when we’re practicing?”

Sojung recognized the voice as Mina, her co-captain, and sighed again. “She’s supposed to be here. She’s our new back up cheerleader.”

Mina scoffed. “Backup way in the middle of the school year? Not to mention three weeks until our next game! Who’s gonna teach her the routines that quickly-”

“I’ll handle it.” Sojung gritted out. “She’s my responsibility, not yours. Leave it alone.”

The girl shook her head at Sojung, muttering something under her breathe and then marching out.

“So I guess the movies were true after all. Co-captain and captain are frenemies.”

This time Sojung couldn’t help the groan and curt response that came out of . “Why are you even here?”

Sojung opened her eyes and glared at the younger girl she was now going to have spend her afternoons with. Eunbi had a smile on her face but after seeing Sojung’s intimidating glare, she rolled her eyes. “Look, it was either this or knitting.”

Sojung narrowed her eyes and studied the young girl’s features. Her complexion was still perfect albeit for the cut that currently scarred her face as a result of her fight earlier. Despite being a troublemaker, she still had this innocent aura about her and a soft and inviting smile.

But Sojung caught herself before she delved deeper into Eunbi's beauty, no matter how innocent she looked, Sojung knew how much trouble she could cause and remembered how she was now going to be a nuisance to her.

“Fine,” She relented, “But you’re not just going to sit there and do nothing. Mr. So gave me specific instructions to make sure you put in work just like the rest of us.”

Eunbi scoffed. “I can’t be a cheerleader, I have no athletic ability in my body or whatsoever.”

“As if I’d put you on the squad.” Sojung rudely snapped. “No, you’re just going to be our backup cheerleader in case something goes wrong. And since nothing ever goes wrong, you’ll hardly be involved.”

“Then why do I have to learn the cheers?”

“Because Mr. So is going to be checking in on you and I weekly. If he realizes you’re not doing anything, you and I will both be punished and I’m not going to let you put my cheerleading in jeopardy.”

“He’s going to be disappointed because I can’t dance either.”

Sojung shrugged. “Well for you because you’re going to learn either way. I can’t pay attention to both you and the team so we’re going to have to teach you after practice. Be here tomorrow at 2:30 to watch the routines and be ready to stay after practice ends.”

“Yes, ma’am.” Eunbi mocked salute, smiling at how Sojung was failing to hide her irritation towards her. “Can I leave now?”

“Please do.” Sojung disregarded her with a flick of the wrist and Eunbi laughed at her behaviour. She shook her head and with one last glance turned and walked out.

The next day, Eunbi was sat on the bleachers in the gym earlier before the cheerleaders arrived. One good thing that came out “joining” the cheer squad was that cheerleaders were allowed to leave class 20 minutes before the final bell would ring, and now Eunbi was no exception to that rule.

Figuring she had an hour to waste, Eunbi watched quietly and intently with a bread in her hand as the girls practiced. One girl that caught her attention especially was the captain herself.

Eunbi smirked as her eyes never left Sojung’s body during the whole practice. God, that girl’s tall body was one to worship. From her warm ups to her cheer, the girl did every move with precision and, maybe this was just her, sensuality.

“And kick, turn, flip and stop!” Eunbi’s mind was brought out of the gutter as she heard Sojung order her team.

“Alright, everyone, good job today! You’re all dismissed.” Sojung clapped and set her team on their way, unceremoniously dropping to the floor in exhaustion. Seconds later she felt somebody’s arm brushed hers and opened her eyes to find Yuju next to her.

“So I was recently informed of our new yet-not-so team member.” Yuju began but Sojung already started explaining.

“Don’t worry, she’s only going to be an observer/back up. She’s only here for emergencies.”

“Oh, I’m cool with it-” Yuju started but another girl, Yerin, cut her off.

“And I’m way more than cool with it. That girl is fine as hell and anybody who is that fine can join anything I’m on.”

Sojung grimaced, trying not to bring up the thoughts of how attractive Eunbi is. She suddenly found a new attraction toward her nails.

“Ugh, we’re not talking about that. Plus, I’m sure Miss Eunbi over there is way more into Sojung than she is to you.” Yuju smirked and Sojung’s head shot up at her words.

What the hell was she talking about?

Yuju seemed to have read her mind and continued. “You might have not noticed but that girl’s eyes never left your body during the entire practice. And by the way she was eating that bread, I’m guessing she was imagining it was you.”

“Ew- Yuju what the hell is wrong with you?!”

Raising her hand, Yuju defended herself. “I’m just commenting on what I see.”

“Well, don’t. I’m already stuck with her, don’t make this awkward for any of us.”

“Yeah,” Yerin added. “Don’t make her think about how appreciative Eunbi is of her glistening, sweat covered body.” The two girls bursted out laughing and Sojung felt her cheeks heat with embarrassment. Finally having enough, she kicked them out of the gym.

“Get out, both of you, or else I’m making you run extra laps tomorrow.” She warned and the two girls’ laughter abruptly ended. Quickly gathering their belongings, the two girls exited the gym, leaving Sojung alone with Eunbi.

Sojung almost blew out a sigh of relief until she saw said girl make her way toward her. She was surprised when Eunbi sat Indian style in front of her, but that surprised quickly morphed into irritation when she mockingly said:

“Hello, Princess.”

“Don’t call me that.” Sojung snapped and stood up. “Now get up and show me what you know. The faster we do this, the quicker I can leave.”

Eunbi tried not to let Sojung’s words and the girl’s obvious dislike of her affect her as she forced the smile to stay on her face. As much as she hated to admit it, she didn’t want to get expel, so she was going to have to it up.

Once she was finally up, she raised her hand up in the air and flatly said, “Ra ra ra, go team, yay.”

Sojung was not amused. “Please tell me you’re joking.”

“No, that’s seriously all I know. I always skipped the pep rallies.”

Sojung groaned audibly. She was going to have start from the beginning. “Alright, get down and give me 10 push ups.”

“What?” Eunbi furrowed her brows in confusion. “Why?”

“I need to see how fit you are. Now drop and give me 10 now or else it’ll be 20.”

“You could have just asked.” Mumbled Eunbi before dropping to the ground and beginning.

As Eunbi began her series of push ups, Sojung quickly tried to avert her eyes to look anywhere that wasn’t Eunbi’s back or arms. Since when did she find push ups attractive? But then who told Eunbi to wear a tank top? Clearly this was her fault.

With a grunt, Eunbi ceased her push ups and stood in front of Sojung, breathing slightly elevated. But Sojung wasn’t done as their eyes met in an intense stare.

“Give me 10 laps around the gym.”

And Eunbi didn’t shy from the challenge as she held their gaze before backing up and beginning her laps.

This routine continued on the following days, Eunbi sitting on the bleachers not-so-subtly staring at Sojung, Sojung pretending not to notice and making Eunbi do grueling warm ups as well as learning all the words to the cheers.

Eunbi couldn’t for the life of her understand why Sojung was acting this way toward her. Throughout her whole 3 years in the school, she’d barely said one word to the senior, so why did Sojung act like she had burned her crops? Eunbi was aware of her not-so-good reputation, but honestly most of it was blown out of proportion. Never one to deny or confirm rumors, she’d always shrug when they’d come up to her and ask if she had anything to do with the prank at the time. And even though they’d always find the true culprit, her name would still be involved in it somehow.

But Eunbi didn’t peg Sojung as one to listen to rumors. Sure, she was a cheerleader, but she wasn’t an airhead. So why did she hate her so much? Even when Eunbi would try to strike up a conversation, Sojung would shut her down so quickly her head would spin.

“Have a nice practice Sojung and Eunbi.” Eunbi’s head shot up and her brow rose as she watched Yuju and Eunha taunt and snicker at her as they left, practice apparently over. Those two along with Yerin never stopped teasing her about Sojung. Huh. Maybe that’s why Sojung hated her so much.

“Alright Eunbi, 10 laps. Begin.” Sojung’s voice came out of nowhere and Eunbi rolled her eyes at what the older girl was putting her through. Didn’t they figure out she was fit already? God, at this point, her abs would grow abs.

She wasn’t going to do this.

“Why can’t we just practice the moves already? All I’ve been doing is running around and yelling cringe-worthy cheers.”

“Last time I checked, you couldn’t dance.” Sojung shot back her rebuttal without missing a beat.

Eunbi narrowed her eyes. “Last time I checked, you were bent on making me learn them either way. So why not just start now so you can get rid of me faster?”

“Alright, fine, if it means getting rid of you faster.”

Eunbi groaned and caught Sojung’s attention. “Will you stop with the snide remarks already? I get it, you don’t like me. Your point was made the very first day. I might as well switch to knitting if this is how y you’re going to be.”

Deep inside, Sojung knew she was in the wrong and should have apologized for her treatment toward the younger girl, but another part of her, her pride, was not letting her. She would simply cut back on the comments.

There, problem solved.

“We’ll start with the first cheer.”

20 minutes later Eunbi had nailed the cheer, screaming in joy when she had finally done it all the way without messing up. She seemed to have completely forgotten that another person was in the room with her as she celebrated with fists up high and loud cheers of “whoo.”

Sojung tried to stop her face from breaking into a smile but she found it impossible to suppress it forever. The girl’s joy was infectious.

“What’s next, Sojung?” She asked eagerly and Sojung shook her head.

“Since you managed to get this one surprisingly easy, we’re going to practice an advance one now.” Sojung got in position, standing in front of the girl. “Give me your hand.” She ordered as she backed into the girl until the heel of her foot touched the front of Eunbi’s. “I’m going to basically lead you into this so try not to step on my heel.”

Eunbi nodded, though Sojung couldn’t see it since she was in front of her, and took Sojung’s hand in hers.

“Okay, first spread your legs.”

Take me out on a date first.

Eunbi snickered at her words but managed to hide it with a cough and do as she was told. Sojung brought their intertwined hands to rest on her hip.

"Do our team look whack

Should they all fall back

Wear our crown like that

We goin' win this stack!"

“Then the beat will drop and you’ll-” Sojung interjected and started the routine, pulling Eunbi’s limbs everywhere she went.

Sojung finished and let go of Eunbi’s hands. “Got it?” She asked but all Eunbi doing was staring at her, too afraid to let Sojung know that she didn’t memorize any step because she was too busy staring at her back.

Sojung was going to kill her.

But she nodded anyway and proceeded to make a fool out of herself when Sojung asked to repeat it for her. Fortunately, Sojung sighed and took her hand again, getting back in her previous position and starting the routine again.

This time she payed attention, Sojung’s back view and movements only slightly distracting her. She “mastered” it somewhat quickly, and Sojung proposed they go over one more routine before calling it a day.

Back in their previous position with Eunbi holding Sojung’s hand, Sojung began the cheer. 

"If you've been around then you'll hear us

Winning all these games like we do

Our power never has no filter

The mighty panthers goin' win this one too!

That's what are team does

Crushing and leaving you in a dust!"

When Sojung was done, she turned to find Eunbi staring dazedly back at her.

Sojung laughed at the cute expression on the girl’s face. “Was that too intense for you.”

You have no idea, Eunbi thought. Images of Sojung’s previous dance moves flashing through her mind.

At her lack of response, Sojung proposed they call it quits for today and head home. As they collected their belongings to head home, Eunbi tried once more to strike up conversation with Sojung, seeing how they were on better terms. At least she thought.

“That cheer Eunha came up with using a SHINee song was pretty clever.” She tried beginning it with something light and Sojung appeared to agree with her with a nod, so she continued. “You guys should add a routine to Bigbang's songs next.”

Sojung chuckled. “What?”

“No, I’m being serious, it’d be so lit. I could even rap G-Dragon's part to the crowd.”

Quirking her eyebrow, Sojung asked, “You can rap his entire part? I’d pay to see that.”

“Really?” Eunbi asked in total disbelief. Not only had Sojung entertained her idea to start a conversation, but she was interested in listening to her. She had to be joking. “You’re serious?”

“Yeah, go ahead, Bi-Dragon.” She mocked, stopping and turning to face Eunbi with her arms crossed.

Huh. She was actually serious. She wanted to hear her rap. Well, she was gonna get it because Eunbi had no problem stepping up to the challenge as she began.

Sojung immediately began giggling as soon as Eunbi started and her laughter only seemed to intensify as Eunbi progressed with the rap.

Eunbi, on the other hand, found the challenge to be much harder than she’d expected because she was now struggling to keep pursed as the need to smile became almost overwhelming. But she knew no matter how hard she’d try, she’d fail eventually because Sojung had the most beautiful laughter in the world and it was taking all her might not to laugh with her.

But she ultimately lost when she stumbled on her words during the fourth to last line and every other word became jumbled. She gave up and immediately went to defend herself.

“Ugh, I can do it, I was just-”

“No, no, you did. I mean, you can’t rap all of it but you definitely know ¾ of it.” Sojung clapped sarcastically, but her words weren’t laced in malice, just harmless teasing.

Eunbi scoffed. “I only messed up because you couldn’t stop laughing and messed me up.”

“Oh, so now it’s my fault,” Sojung asked in amusement and Eunbi smirked.

“One hundred percent.”

“You’re being pretty bold here, Eunbi.”

“You have no idea how bold I can be, Sojung.” Eunbi mimicked.

They held each other’s gaze in mock defiance for a while until Sojung cracked a smile and tapped Eunbi on the shoulder before saying, “Don’t be late tomorrow, Eunbi.” and left.

 

note: supposed to be a one shot but it's kinda long so i divided it into two parts. the second part will be up soon. :)