Turtle

MiMo Love Anthology

My heart grows like a balloon

I’m afraid it’ll burst

My heart keeps doing that

Whenever I see you

 

Two weeks later, Momo still hasn’t come out of her bedroom. Sana and Mina take turns in convincing her to take a shower and cook her some food and get her to go to classes, but that’s it. Momo hasn’t spoken to them despite living together, or anyone else for that matter. And for a while, it remained a mystery why she and Lisa broke up, until Nayeon asks Jennie and Jisoo, two of Lisa’s closest friends.

 

“So Lisa broke up with Momo because she likes Bambam now?” Sana huffs, looking like she’s about to beat someone up. “That bi—”

 

“Don’t even go there, Sana,” Nayeon warns her. “Their relationship’s been rocky for a while now, and Bambam was just being a good friend to her at first.”

 

“But how come Momo didn’t tell us?” Jeongyeon asks, a bit upset.

 

“Oh you know that girl,” says Sana. “She always helps each and everyone of us with our problems, but never wants to bother us with hers.” She lets out a sigh.

 

Sana’s right, Mina thinks, and recalls the day when she was having trouble following the steps of a hiphop dance routine so much that it bothered her. Momo asked her what’s wrong right away and proceeded to compliment her dancing, telling her to just be confident. That’s how she fell for Momo in the first place—she’d been there for Mina when she thought Ray was going to die. It’s the thing that she liked about Momo the most, and when Sana points out that Momo doesn’t ask for anybody’s help, Mina knew she had to do something.

 

I think I like you

A little more

I mean it, my heart

Goes faster than you

Oh no oh no oh no, always

 

Mina violently knocks on Momo’s door until she opens it and gets greeted with a “What?” and an annoyed look on Momo’s face.

 

“Take a shower, we’re going out,” is all Mina says.

 

“I’m not in the mood,” Momo tells her, closing the door but Mina’s quicker to stop it.

 

“I’m not taking no for an answer.” Mina glares at Momo.

 

“…Fine.” Momo goes back inside her room to get a fresh set of clothes and her towel. Mina sits on Momo’s bed to remind her that she really isn’t taking no for an answer.

 

While waiting, Mina looks around the room and sees the usual posters hanging on the side of Momo’ bed. On her desk, Mina sees the picture of all nine of them that they got framed for Jeongyeon’s birthday. There’s another one, a collage of Momo’s pictures with each of the group, which Mina finds adorable. And beside that is a photo booth picture of Momo and Lisa. Out of a hunch, Mina checks Momo’s phone and finds that the lock screen wallpaper also contains Momo and Lisa’s picture. She immediately closes the phone, a bit guilty that she somehow invaded Momo’s privacy, and also a little hurt that Momo hasn’t yet deleted the traces of her now ex-girlfriend. But then again, it’s only been two weeks, Mina realizes, and that’s Momo, who falls hard when she does.

 

That’s why it’s so important for Mina to cheer Momo up, because all she wants is for Momo to be happy again.

 

Mina feels a tug on her shoulder and she realizes she fell asleep. “Sorry,” she mumbles to Momo, who asks her, “Why are we going out so early, anyway?”

 

“Well, we can’t waste time.”

 

“What are you talking about?”

 

Mina simply smirks at her and grabs her hand. “Let’s go.”

 

“You know, this would be much easier if I knew where we’re going,” Momo whines beside Mina at the train.

 

“You would have already known if you paid attention to the stations; we already went here before.”

 

Momo groans. “Couldn’t you just tell me?”

 

Mina smirks. “No.”

 

“Fine. I’m used to your being like this, anyway.”

 

Mina blinks before saying, “I’m sorry, what?”

 

“I know you’ve been avoiding me, Mina,” Momo says with a hint of sorrow, eyes avoiding Mina’s. “And I can’t seem to wrap my head around why. Sana won’t tell me anything, and I feel like you two are slowly slipping away from me.”

 

Mina remains silent, partly because she knows Momo wants to say more, partly because of shock at hearing how much of a terrible friend she was.

 

“Lisa and I had our first fight months before we broke up,” Momo continues, “and you know who I wanted to talk to about it?” Momo looks straight into Mina’s eyes when she answers her own question. “You.”

 

“I’m sorry, Momo.”

 

“Could you at least tell me why?”

 

Mina takes a deep breath before giving her reply. Well, a partial one. “You were spending so much time with Lisa that I got jealous. I’m sorry, it’s selfish of me.” It’s not completely untrue. She was jealous, but for more reasons than stated.

 

Momo nods. “I understand. I just wish you told me sooner; I would’ve done something about it.”

 

“At least the next time you have a girlfriend, you already know what to do.”

 

Momo chuckles. “That’s gonna be a long time from now. And look, I’m sorry for being a bad friend. Maybe I shouldn’t have brought Lisa to every event we had as a group. Now I just made things too awkward.”

 

Mina shakes her head. “I know you were just trying to make us like her and vice versa. That’s one of the things I lo—” Mina clears , “That’s one of your best traits.”

 

“Thanks, Mitang. You always know what to say.”

 

“I just want to see your smile,” Mina confesses, and it comes out so naturally that she doesn’t even realize it at first. “L-Look, here’s our stop,” she mutters, getting off the train quickly without waiting for Momo.

 

“You just left me.” Momo pouts cutely.

 

“Sorry.” Mina smiles sheepishly, holding her hand out again which Momo holds. “Let’s go.”

 

“Yes, but now will you tell me where we’re going?”

 

“Nope.”

 

“Mina!!!”

 

You look even more beautiful these days

Whenever you don’t call me

I get upset for no reason

 

Some ten-minute walk later, Momo and Mina finally arrive at the entrance of Lotte World. Momo turns to Mina who looks smug.

 

“You do remember we’re both afraid of rollercoasters and heights, right?” She asks the younger.

 

Mina scoffs. “We don’t have to ride those. There are other fun stuff to do here, like the arcade and food stands.”

 

“Food stands, eh? Okay, Myoui. I’m in.”

 

They first set out to line up at a bumper car ride, and having run there from the entrance they become the first ones to ride. Momo and Mina hop in different cars, and while Momo has trouble navigating hers at first, Mina starts making her way to Momo without crashing into anyone else. When Momo finally gets the controls, she makes bumping into Mina her only goal.

 

“That was fun.” Momo giggles as they exit through the gate.

 

“I’m glad it was fun for you,” Mina mutters, rubbing her shoulder. “You murdered my shoulders back there.”

 

Panic spreads across Momo’s face and she’s quick to apologize. “I’m sorry, Mina! I didn’t mean to. Here.” She fishes out a eucalyptus rub from her bag and dips two fingers in it. With her eucalyptus-free hand she pulls Mina’s shirt to the side to reveal the girl’s shoulder and starts rubbing it. Mina almost shivers at the contact but simply focuses on her shoulder relaxing.

 

“All better?” Momo asks when Mina finally lets out a relieved sigh.

 

“Yep. Thanks, Momo.”

 

“Sorry again.” Momo smiles sheepishly.

 

“No worries. Now, where should we head to next?”

 

“The restaurant!”

 

Mina laughs; of course Momo would get hungry right away. “Which one?”

 

“The one that sells good avocados.” Momo then frowns and scrunches her nose, as if trying to remember something. “But I forgot the name…”

 

“I think I know what you’re talking about. Follow me.”

 

They go up the escalator and Mina takes them to a restaurant named Little Wonders, which is more of a dessert shop than a restaurant. They order an avocado each and eat before going to the next ride.

 

“Mina, you have something on your…”

 

“Hmm?”

 

Momo gestures to the right side of her own lips, which Mina mirrors, but the stain is on the opposite side so Momo takes it upon herself to remove it using her fingers. Mina’s thankful that Momo’s too busy to see Mina blushing.

 

“T-Thanks,” the younger girl manages to stutter out.

 

“Mina? You good back there?” Momo calls, and it’s only then that Mina realizes she stopped walking and functioning altogether.

 

Sometimes, when you stare at me

I’m afraid things’ll get awkward

So I just stare at the floor

 

Momo suggests the ride called ‘Desperados II’ next, where they ride a fake horse and shoot criminals off a screen. The girl screams when the horse starts to ‘gallop’, causing Mina to giggle right beside her, to which Momo reacts by turning her gun to ‘shoot’ Mina instead. “Cheater!” Mina yells before trying to shoot Momo as well. They continue doing this until they get shushed by the people around them, and quietly return to shooting the screen with a few glances and chuckles with each other every now and then.

 

They go for a few more rides until it’s lunch time and they have to eat a decent meal. Mina suggests one of the restaurants they saw earlier at the upper floor and Momo’s more than happy to explore somewhere new to eat. It goes well until…

 

“Why are you sitting beside me?” Mina asks, trying to hide the panic in her voice.

 

“Because we’re going to share our food,” Momo answers easily.

 

“We are?” Mina blinks.

 

“Of course! I mean, if that’s okay with you…”

 

“No, I don’t mind sharing my food.”

 

“Good! Now let’s order.”

 

“Good afternoon and welcome to the Jets Diner!” a lady about their age greets them and hands them a menu which they peruse. The waitress notices their proximity and so suggests, “There’s a couple’s package in page 5, and it consists of four pieces of ribs, your choice of pasta, two side dishes, a pitcher of iced tea, and a rose when you ask for the bill. I could give you two roses if you’d like—”

 

Mina is quick to stop the waitress from going any further. “No, no, we’re not dating,” she tells her, but Momo puts an arm around her, surprising her.

 

“Come on, Mina, no one knows us here, we can tell her at least,” she says sweetly, her smile enough to make Mina melt—and render her speechless. Momo then turns to the waitress. “We’ll take the couple’s package please.”

 

“Great! Your choice of pasta?”

 

Momo turns back to Mina. “What do you think?”

 

“Uhh…”

 

“Excuse her,” Momo tells the waitress, “she makes the best rosé pasta so choosing a good pasta at a restaurant is hard for her.”

 

Mina simply whines in response, hitting her shoulder.

 

“I’m kidding, babe. So, what’s your choice?”

 

“P-Pesto, I g-guess?” Mina manages to mutter despite the fact that Momo just called her babe.

 

“Okay then. Pesto it is.”

 

“And the side dishes?” the waitress asks.

 

“I’ll have fish cakes, please,” says Momo.

 

“Salad for me,” says Mina.

 

“Alright then.” The waitress takes the menu. “I’ll be back with your orders in 5-15 minutes.”

 

Momo watches the waitress and slowly retracts her arm from Mina’s shoulder, the latter immediately missing the touch. But she reminds herself that Momo simply wanted more food for a discount and nothing else. More importantly, Momo still hasn’t moved on from Lisa, so none of her actions meant anything. They enjoy the food when it arrives and reminisce memories, all of which come from the time before Momo met Lisa. It feels a bit like walking on broken glass, but Mina doesn’t mind because Momo almost looks free again.

 

They ride some more in the afternoon and when night time comes and they’ve ridden everything that isn’t height-related, Momo suggests they bail the theme park and head to the Han River and have chicken and beer delivered there.

 

“Food is just constantly on your mind, isn’t it?” Mina quips when the delivery comes and Momo starts eating right away.

 

“I’m surprised you even have to ask.” Mina giggles at the reply. They eat in silence and Momo is the first to drink the first beer bottle.

 

“You’re drinking that fast,” Mina comments.

 

“Just let me have this one,” says Momo, gulping the beer again.

 

“Okay, but I don’t wanna walk a drunk girl all the way home from here.”

 

“Then I’ll just sleep here.” Momo sticks her tongue out.

 

Mina lets out a chuckle. “Come on, Momo. That’s way too fast, I might not even get to drink one.”

 

“Okay. Okay, fair enough. Here.” Momo opens a bottle for Mina. “Bottoms up.”

 

Having a low tolerance for alcohol Mina sips continuously for a few seconds but Momo looks like she’s actually about to finish the bottle in one go.

 

“Hey,” Mina mutters, her voice getting louder. “Momo, stop!”

 

Momo removes the bottle from , and Mina’s heart breaks when she sees tears flowing out of Momo’s eyes.

 

“Momo, I…”

 

Momo brings her knees up to her chest and rests her head there, but Mina could hear her crying nonetheless. The latter scooches over to Momo and gently pulls her head up so that Momo could put her head on Mina’s shoulder. Mina rubs Momo’s head in an attempt to soothe her, like how Momo did when Mina was crying about Ray.

 

“M-Mina,” Momo manages to say between sniffles, “d-do you t-think I’m… u-unlovable?”

 

“What? Momo, that’s the most absurd thing I’ve ever heard. Don’t say that.”

 

“Then… Then why did Lisa leave me?” Momo looks at Mina.

 

“I… I honestly don’t know, Momo. I don’t know how anyone can ever fall out of love with someone as amazing as you. I mean, even if one tried, I think it would be too hard.” Mina coughs to prevent herself from revealing her own feelings. “Momo, you are a great person. Lisa just had it all wrong. It’s her loss, not yours.”

 

“You’re just saying that because you’re my friend.”

 

“Momo. If I had a girlfriend, I’d want her to be you—I mean, someone like you. Sweet, attentive, thoughtful, loving, amazing set of abs…”

 

“I knew you just liked me for my body, you superficial minx.” Momo chuckles. “I’m kidding. I’m sure you’d make a great girlfriend someday.” She kisses Mina’s cheek, which are already red from blushing.

 

“Stop or someone might think we’re a couple again.”

 

“Eh.” Momo shrugs, then says after a beat, “Thank you for today.”

 

“Anytime,” Mina assures her. “That’s what friends are for, right?”

 

“Best friends.” Momo engulfs Mina into a hug.

 

Momo may not love Mina the way Mina loves Momo, but she’s happy to be part of Momo’s heart nonetheless. And she’ll keep fighting for Momo to be happy again, she’ll wait until the day comes when Momo’s ready to give her heart again, even if it wouldn’t be for her.

 

Always by my side

Will you stay?

Who cares if you’re slow?

I’ll wait for you