Sunset

MiMo Love Anthology

A/N: The last chapter!!!

 

 

Will get stained red

You and my sunset

 

In celebration of Nayeon’s graduation, Jihyo proposes all the girls to go camping and to a resort afterwards. And everyone agrees instantly.

 

“Okay, this will be a four-day event,” Jihyo starts as they gather in one of the university cafeterias. “First, Chaeyoung, Mina, Momo, Jeongyeon, and Sana will cook our meals for the camp. The others including myself will help them in any way we can to finish the process. For motivation for us non-cooks, we’ll be choosing the meals and buying the ingredients necessary before meeting at my house.”

 

“How come you won’t cook if we’re working at your house?” Jeongyeon asks with a raised hand.

 

“Frankly I don’t trust the other three when going to the grocery,” Jihyo replies, glaring at Nayeon, Dahyun, and Tzuyu.

 

“Even me?” Tzuyu looks at Jihyo with a pout.

 

“Of course not you, Chou Tzu,” Jihyo says softly. Everyone has a soft spot for the group’s maknae. “I’m talking about Nayeon and Dahyun over here. They just take whatever they want.” Jihyo groans.

 

“Nayeon unnie’s worse!” Dahyun yells in an attempt to save herself.

 

“Hey, this is for my graduation!” the eldest and soon-to-be graduate retorts. “I want a rosé pasta, by the way,” she says, smirking at Mina, who replies, “Sure, unnie!” with a gummy smile.

 

Jihyo nods. “Good. We’ll need to finish the cooking early so that we can sleep early, too. We need to leave the house before 4AM to get a good campsite.”

 

Momo and Dahyun, the two heaviest sleepers of the group, let out a whine, but Jihyo ignores them. “For the camping proper, we’re going to need—”

 

“Marshmallows?” Momo mutters excitedly, making Mina giggle beside her. Momo turns to her with a frown. “No marshmallows?”

 

“Of course there will be,” Mina assures her with a kiss on her cheek, forming a lipstick stain that Momo doesn’t bother wiping off. “Right, Jihyo?”

 

“Sure,” says Jihyo. “But what I was talking about was actually tents. My family has two tents that can fit in three people each. We just need another one.” She looks at the Korean members of the group who are more likely to bring one from their current homes.

 

“I think we have one, too,” Chaeyoung speaks up.

 

“Perfect.” Jihyo gives Chaeyoung a smile. “Oh, and don’t forget to bring water bottles that we can fill up. While we do have some coolers we’re still gonna need all the water we can get. The next day we can wake up a little bit later than before, say 8 or 9AM-ish?”

 

Dahyun groans. “That’s still early!” she grumbles, earning a glare from Jihyo so she retracts. “I-I mean, yup! I can wake up on time, Jihyo unnie!”

 

“Good.” Jihyo flashes a smile at the cowering Dahyun. “When we’re all settled we can proceed to the resort and then have fun on the beach.”

 

“What about the food at the resort?” Momo asks.

 

“There’ll be a restaurant there, Momoring, it’s a resort” Jihyo assures her, then turns to everyone else. “Are there any other questions?”

 

“I have one,” Nayeon announces, raising her hand. Everyone turns to her expectantly. “Will there be a gift-giving portion for me?”

 

Oh girl, somehow the strange light calls me, bump bump

Oh, it’s like I’m falling into the color I saw for the first time

 

“Momoring, taste this,” Mina calls her girlfriend when she finishes the creamy rosé sauce. Momo quickly makes her way over and leans into the spoon that Mina’s holding. Momo sips it with a hum. “How is it?” Mina asks, and Momo responds by giving her a long peck on the lips.

 

“Amazing taste, babe,” Momo mumbles cheekily, earning a puking sound from Chaeyoung right next to them.

 

“It tastes great, Mina,” says Sana who has also tasted the sauce, forming a barrier between the two, much to Momo’s dismay. “Now you can help me with the chicken. And Momo, finish those avocados. And don’t eat them!” Sana lets out a groan. “God, I was rooting for you two before but have some manners!”

 

“Sorry, Sana,” the couple mutters with their heads hung low, going back to their stations.

 

If you look, as if it’ll hug me, if I try to get close, it goes farther away

Girl, it somehow represents you

 

“Finally, Nayeon unnie’s graduating,” says Jeongyeon as she drives the van all the way to the campsite. “I’ve had enough of her.” Nayeon simply chuckles which confuses Jeongyeon. “What, no rebuttal?”

 

“Nope.” Nayeon shakes her head. “I know that deep down, you’re going to miss me.”

 

“Hmph,” is all Jeongyeon could muster. She couldn’t deny it, though. Nayeon’s her longest friend out of everyone in the group, and they’ve been through a lot. She’s really looked at Nayeon as a true older sister.

 

“Look, Jeongyeon is crying!” Nayeon finally teases and looks back at the rest of the girls from the front seat.

 

“Hey! I am so not!” Jeongyeon hisses. “Shut up, grandma, or I’m going to crash us on that tree over there!”

 

“Fine, fine!” Nayeon brings up her hands. “I need my face to be perfect for graduation.”

 

Mina chuckles from the backseat, causing Momo to shift beside her. Aside from holding hands with each other, Momo has now used her other hand to hold Mina’s waist on the opposite side. Momo smells nice, like lavender, Mina thinks and smiles to herself. She wishes they could stay in the van longer.

 

“Mina unnie is so whipped,” Mina can hear Tzuyu whisper to Sana. “Momo unnie’s already drooling but she’s smiling at her like that!”

 

Sana doesn’t even try to hide her response. “That’s what being in love for five years does to you.”

 

Mina clears , earning Sana and Tzuyu’s attention. They simply smile sheepishly at her and leave them in peace for the rest of the ride.

 

All night long

Even if I want to see you all night, you’ll be gone

All night long

I wait for you like that

 

They spend most of the morning setting up at the campsite, and the others preparing the first meals of the day. “I wanna eat the pasta!” Nayeon yells. “Can we finish this tent faster?”

 

“Patience, Im,” Jihyo warns her. “We still have to decide the groupings for each tent.” She immediately focuses her sights on Momo who scoots closer to Mina. She points to them and says, “The royal couple is going to split up.”

 

Momo gasps dramatically. “Why?!?!?!”

 

“Because I feel sorry for whoever’s gonna be sleeping next to the two of you,” Jihyo snides.

 

“Wha—Mina and I are very sensitive to our surroundings.”

 

“Oh, you mean like when I caught you two on the couch one time?” Sana chimes in.

 

“We didn’t know!” the couple yells, the rest of girls snickering at them.

 

“You told us you were out on a date,” Mina reminds her.

 

“Well, it went badly!” Sana hisses, trying to forget that awful night.

 

Momo turns to Jihyo with a pleading look, but the latter won’t budge. “See what I mean? Separate tents for you two.”

 

“It’s been a year,” Jeongyeon mutters. “How are you guys not past the honeymoon stage?”

 

Momo shrugs and mumbles nonchalantly, “Everyday is like a honeymoon with Mitang.” She hears the sound of a tree branch falling from someone’s hands when she sees everyone staring at her. “What?”

 

“Hirai Momo,” Nayeon starts, a smug look on her face, “you are the cheesiest woman on the planet!”

 

“W-What did I say?”

 

“You really don’t know?”

 

Momo shakes her head.

 

“God, it was so natural, too!” Nayeon claps her hands. “This is gold. Mina, what have you been feeding her, huh?”

 

“Nothing…” Mina mutters with a huge blush on her cheeks. “Speaking of feeding, you want to eat the pasta, right, Nayeon unnie?”

 

“Oh yeah! I’m hungry.” Nayeon rubs her belly. “Let’s eat!”

 

Mina sighs in relief as she successfully dodges the topic and takes a seat on one of the logs to calm her head. She glances at Momo who gives her a smile and starts eating beside her.

 

After breakfast they decide to try and catch some fish to cook for later. Jihyo, being the most experienced in camping, is the only one to catch a few, while the others try and fail miserably. Mina, being the most competitive next to Jihyo, sulks when she doesn’t even catch one.

 

“It’s okay, babe,” Momo assures her with a chaste kiss. “I’ll steal one from Jihyo and tell everyone it was your catch.”

 

Mina chuckles. “I appreciate the thought, but I don’t think Jihyo would appreciate that.”

 

“You’re right; I won’t!”Jihyo yells from the other side of the campfire. “And Momo, for attempting to steal my fish, you’re not gonna get any.”

 

“But I didn’t even put my plan to action!” Momo sighs and shrugs. “Oh well, worth it.”

 

“Worth it? You’re seriously okay with not getting any more food?”

 

“Yeah, because I made you smile. Guess I just love you that much.”

 

“God, you are so greasy!” Chaeyoung sighs. “Momo unnie, you wanna start roasting the marshmallows or what?”

 

“Oh, you bet!” Momo squeals like a kid, and Mina watches as the older girl excitedly mashes the marshmallows into the sticks.

 

“Hey,” a voice calls from beside her. It’s Jihyo with Sana next to her. “Scolding and teasing and fake puking aside, you two really do seem happy.”

 

“And perfect for each other,” Sana chimes in.

 

“Thanks, you guys,” Mina replies. “I am happy.”

 

“Your first anniversary is near, right?” Jihyo asks. “What are you planning to give her?”

 

Mina shrugs. “I’m not sure yet. But Ariana Grande is coming here so I might buy tickets for us.”

 

“VIP, I’m assuming?” Jihyo surmises with a smirk.

 

“Uh… We’ll see,” Mina replies humbly, but she knows that there’s nothing else—not when it’s for Momo.

 

“Well, whatever you’ll give her, Momo’s gonna love it,” says Sana. “Remember that scarf you knit for her for the winter? She kept wearing it until early April.”

 

“Yeah, that girl is whipped for you, too,” Jihyo adds.

 

“Marshmallows are ready!” Momo announces happily, grabbing two sticks and heading straight to Mina.

 

Jihyo sighs at them dreamily. “I wish someone would give me a marshmallow stick like that, too.”

 

“Too bad Bang Chan isn’t here, huh?” Jeongyeon snickers, and Mina turns to Jihyo confused.

 

“Chan? Our classmate in History?” Mina asks.

 

“Oh yeah, Chan!” Nayeon snaps her fingers, and proceeds despite Jihyo violently shaking her head. “Has he called you yet, Jihyo?”

 

“You’re already texting?!” Mina asks in a louder voice, and this causes an uproar in the group.

 

For the rest of the night they simply bombard Jihyo, the unofficial group leader, the ever-so-busy student council soon-to-be president, with questions about her budding love life. One by one the girls retire to their assigned tents, and Momo approaches Mina for a good night kiss.

 

“See you tomorrow,” Momo mumbles sweetly into Mina’s hair as they hug.

 

Mina giggles and says, “You’re such a clingy baby.”

 

“You like it though.” Momo frowns. “Right?”

 

“Of course.” Mina kisses Momo again, but this time they’re full on making out. Momo pulls Mina closer to her by the waist and pulls up Mina’s left leg to her hips. Mina’s arms rest on Momo’s shoulder, while Momo snakes her hand inside Mina’s blouse.

 

“Momo, not now,” Mina says, out of breath, hesitantly pulling Momo’s hand out of her top.

 

“You’re right, sorry.” Momo pulls away. “Good night, Mitang.” She starts walking towards her tent, but the younger girl stops her to whisper something in her ear.

 

“But tomorrow at the resort, we can get a room all to our own,” Mina tells her in a low, seductive voice, sending shivers all over Momo’s body.

 

They both can’t wait.

 

Feverant sunset, it’s hard to even look at baby

Even if my two eyes are red, you will melt my heart

The red sunset, to you that feels far away

Run fast to you

 

The next day goes as planned; they drive out of the campsite and towards the beach resort in the morning and have lunch together at the restaurant before settling into their own rooms.

 

“For the afternoon activities, we can play beach volleyball, ride a banana boat, go snorkeling, or simply go swimming,” Jihyo tells everyone. “What do you think?”

 

“A banana boat sounds nice; we can go snorkeling right after,” Nayeon suggests, and so the group does exactly that. After swimming with the fishes they go back near the shore for a regular swim until Jeongyeon suggests they play beach volleyball.

 

“But there are nine of us,” says Tzuyu. “How are we going to split the teams?”

 

“I’m just gonna pass,” Momo mutters, stifling a yawn. “I’m sleepy anyway. Catch you later!” She runs off without saying another word, and the volleyball game commences. Jihyo, Mina, Dahyun, and Tzuyu’s team wins by two out three rounds.

 

“It’s because Tzuyu’s so tall!” Chaeyoung mutters, the others laughing at her cute frown.

 

“Relax, Chaeng, you have Jeongyeon and Sana and they’re tall, too,” Jihyo tells her. “Who’s up for another round?”

 

Sana replies with a groan. “I think I’m already beat. I’ll just go relax at the beach.”

 

“Yeah, me too,” Nayeon chimes in and runs after Sana to the water. Chaeyoung also follows suit, mumbling, “It’s not a good game for short people, anyway.”

 

“Chaeyoung, wait for me!” Tzuyu yells.

 

“How about you, Mina?” Jihyo asks.

 

“I’m just gonna rest here under the sun.”

 

“Okay then.” Jihyo turns to Jeongyeon looking smug. “Looks like it’s just me and Yoo.”

 

Jeongyeon lets out a small chuckle. “Took you all day to come up with that?”

 

“Just shut up and serve.”

 

Oh girl, a meaningless sky, it’s because of you that the sky is red

Push out the clouds and give me sunlight

 

Mina falls fast asleep under the shade and wakes up when the sun is going down. Jihyo and Jeongyeon have joined the others in swimming at the beach, but Momo is still nowhere to be found. Mina chuckles and shakes her head at the thought of her sleep-loving girlfriend before setting foot towards the beach herself.

 

“Mitang.”

 

The girl turns around, recognizing the familiar voice. “Momo? You’re awake. I’m going for a swim; wanna join me?”

 

“Maybe later. Could you come with me for a while?”

 

“Sure,” Mina replies despite her confusion. “Is there a cockroach in our room, or…”

 

Momo giggles softly, tugging at Mina’s heartstrings. “No, nothing like that. I just want to show you something.” She grabs Mina’s hand and leads her to somewhere… Mina’s not sure where, but they’re passing by the beach in a sprint and they stop running at the foot of a hill. Momo gently guides Mina up the rusty stone stairs, surprising the latter.

 

“You’re not scared of these stairs?” Mina asks, puzzled more than ever.

 

“I… have already gone up and down these stairs a lot earlier, so it’s a piece of cake to me now.”

 

“Earlier?” Mina tilts her head. “Wait… You weren’t really asleep at our room, weren’t you?”

 

“Nope,” Momo replies cheekily.

 

They finally come up to the top of the hill and Mina sees that Momo truly prepared for this—there were candles everywhere, mats on top of one another to cover the rocky ground, and avocados that Momo prepared which somehow survived from last night’s dinner. There’s even a portable speaker playing one of Mina’s favorite songs softly in the background.

 

Even if it’s hardworking for the long day

Even if it is dark like a cave

 

“Look ahead,” Momo tells her, and she sees the perfect, unobstructed view of the sun setting below the beach. Mina feels Momo’s arms snake behind her and she leans into the contact.

 

“It’s beautiful,” says Mina, her eyes trained towards the sky.

 

“Yeah,” Momo sighs. “You really are.”

 

I want to know your world

I want to go

Will get stained red

You and my sunset

 

They keep quiet for a while, making Mina think that her girlfriend has already fallen asleep on her shoulders—it’s her talent, falling asleep anywhere at any time—but then Momo speaks up in a soft voice.

 

“I’m sorry I made you wait four years,” she says sheepishly.

 

Mina pulls away to face Momo. It’s been over a year since she became her girlfriend, and almost five years since Mina fell in love. Even though it had been a long and bumpy ride, Mina wouldn’t trade it for anything, because it’s gotten her and Momo to where they are now.

 

“Don’t do that,” Mina tells her. “This… You… Us… It’s worth it, and I love everything about us right now.” Mina pecks Momo on the lips. “I love you.”

 

“I love you, too.” Momo returns the kiss albeit a much more aggressive one, and Mina sees where this is going.

 

Mina lets herself get pulled and sighs into Momo’s lips. She lets herself be taken because it’s Momo, the only girl who caught her heart for as long as she can remember, the girl who had been her home away from home.

 

And so they lie down and make love in the sunset, just as they have done before, and just as they will for the rest of their lives.