it's my treat

All the Ways I Let You Know

Haewon jerks awake at noon. She rolls over to grab her phone off the bedside table and unplug it from the charger. Squinting at the notifications, she stifles a yawn as she checks Sehun’s messages to her.

Let me know when you wake up

Haewon sends him a quick “hi” and slides out of bed to wash up. She returns to a slew of messages from her boyfriend.

Hi pls call me

Settling back into bed under her blanket, Haewon presses on the Sehun’s name on Facetime and waits.

“Good afternoon, lazy bum,” Sehun greets.

“Hi. I’m still tired.”

“You slept for a good eleven hours.”

“And?”

Sehun clicks his tongue in distaste. “You free to go out today?”

Humming, Haewon nods. “Yeah. I want hot pot.”

“Now?” Sehun laughs. “Why not for dinner?”

“Why not both?” she counters. Haewon brushes the hair poking her cheek out of her face. “And I was thinking I could trim and get this mess re-dyed.”

“I think your hair is cute.”

“It’s annoying,” Haewon says. “And it’s been a while so my roots are growing back in.” She plays with the ends for a while, spinning her fingers idly between the red strands as she smiles at Sehun through the screen. “You want to get your hair dyed too?”

Sehun sputters. “My mom would murder me.”

“You’re a fully functioning adult? Oh Sehun, please.”

“I’ll come pick you up at for hotpot in thirty. Bye, Hae.”

“Hello, your hair?” Haewon laughs.

“See you in a bit!” Sehun hangs up before Haewon can get in another word.

Laughing to herself, Haewon kicks the blanket off of herself and stares at the ceiling. “You did a good job with this one, Hae.”

 

Sehun can’t help but play with Haewon’s hair as they stand in line for their sandwiches. “It’s really soft,” he murmurs.

Haewon hides a smile and nudges Sehun’s hip to push him forward. “Order. Tt’s our turn.” She wraps her arms around his right bicep and clings onto him as he lists off what he wants in his own sandwich and for Haewon too. When he gets to the register to pay, she slinks off to find a seat in the crowded Subway.

“So what else do you want to do today other than eat?” Sehun asks. He takes a bite of his sandwich and waits for Haewon to answer. His leg shakes under the table and he feels Haewon tap his ankle with her foot to remind him to stop. “Anything in mind?”

“I just wanted to eat today. I’ll worry about fitting in my pants tomorrow.” Haewon finally has her sandwich unwrapped and she takes a small bite. “Just spending time with you is fine.”

“And you call me cheesy,” Sehun jokes. He captures one of Haewon’s ankles between his own and holds it there. Haewon gives him a look as she takes a bite from her sandwich, but she seems amused enough. Sehun finishes food first and he crumples the Subway wrapper in his fist as he waits. Haewon stares at the ball on the table but doesn’t say anything. Sehun sees her do this and he takes hold of it again. “We’re throwing it away anyway, Hae,” he says.

Haewon huffs but looks away. “Throw it then.”

Sehun moves to stand, but Haewon tightens her ankles around his and pulls him back down to his seat. “Umm, you told me to throw it away.”

Haewon smiles and takes another slow bite.

“You’re getting full, aren’t you?” Sehun grins as he wiggles his foot out of her lock.

“I didn’t want sandwiches, Sehun,” Haewon points out. “I wanted hot pot.”

“We’re getting hot pot for dinner, silly.” Sehun pushes his chair out and stands to throw his wrapper away. “Finish half, I’ll eat the other.”

 

“Umm, can we get froyo?”

Sehun blinks incredulously. “Hae, you were too full to finish your sandwich not thirty minutes ago.”

“I have a separate stomach for dessert.” She blinks up at him and smiles. “I’m paying, anyway? It’s my turn, so it’s not like you can stop me.” Haewon tightens her grip on his hand. “Let’s go.”

Sehun lets his girlfriend lead the way through the streets and holds the door open for her when she pushes instead of pulls. “You’re a mess,” he comments as he shakes his head. He walks up to the counter and pulls out a coupon from his wallet and pays for her cup before she even finishes. “Thanks, Jongdae.” He’s giving Jongdae a handshake when Haewon places her cup on the scale to be weighed.

“Hi, Jongdae,” she says as she pulls out her wallet.

“Hi, Haewon. Sehun paid.”

Haewon shoots Sehun a glare. “What?”

Sehun sticks his hands into his hoodie pocket and shrugs. “It’s my treat. And I had a coupon. Come on, it’s going to melt if you keep glaring at me.”

“You two are gross,” Jongdae comments.

“Get yourself a girlfriend,” Haewon quips as she grabs a spoon and some napkins. “Bye, Jongdae.” Haewon wraps her arm around Sehun’s while the other holds her yogurt cup. “You like cookies and crème, right? Cause that’s what I got for you.”

“Did you mix mango in with that?”

“Yes?”

“Hae, that sounds kind of gross.”

“You eat on your side, and I eat on mine.” Haewon passes the cup to Sehun. “So hot pot in two hours right?”

“All we’ve done today is eat, Jung Haewon,” Sehun deadpans. He untangles his arm from Haewon’s to eat. “Can you fit in your pants?” he teases.

Haewon shrugs. “That’s a problem for tomorrow me. I’m going to eat to my heart’s content today.” After a few beats of silence, she tacks on, “I’m paying for hot pot. Don’t you dare take out your wallet, Oh Sehun.”