i saved a piece for you

All the Ways I Let You Know

Haewon hasn’t seen Sehun in three days.

Preparation for the latest showcase has been hectic and Sehun is scrambling to catch up new students to fill in spots that shouldn’t be empty. It’s a stressful time and Haewon knows that lingering around practice will only make him more nervous about everything. Instead, she waits for his calls to reassure her that he’s hanging on and doing well.

“After this showcase is over, I’m taking a vacation,” Sehun grumbles. His voice is slightly distorted by the call quality, but Haewon knows he’s pouting.

Haewon pulls the blanket over her nose so only her eyes peek out and are visible on camera. “What are you doing to do on that vacation?”

“Sleep. Play video games. Eat.” Sehun makes a frowny face at the last one. “I really want cheesecake but I haven’t been able to because of the stupid diet.”

“Anything else?”

Sehun pretends to contemplate for a good minute, tossing and turning around in his bed. While Haewon feels like she knows what he’s about to say, she wants a real answer. “I guess seeing you too,” he teases.

She lets out a sigh and rolls her eyes. “Well I think I’m fine without a certain giant baby clinging onto me every moment of the day,” she snaps back.

Sehun laughs. “Well I guess I’ll just go on my vacation by myself.”

“Send me pictures!” Haewon sticks out her tongue and smiles. “But really, what do you want to do? What do you want to eat?”

“I want to sleep for a whole day and then eat a nice home cooked meal. Can you cook for me?”

“Of course.”

 

Due to an impending deadline at work, Haewon misses the showcase. After nearly breaking down into tears, even with Sehun’s reassurance that it really was okay, Haewon made Seulgi promise to send videos of Sehun’s performances. Her coworkers take her out after their late-night planning session to make up for making her miss an important date and buys her a whole cheesecake sampler as their apology present.

Haewon feels slightly better about it all and she leaves with a full stomach and heavy hands. It’s eleven – the showcase has been over for a good hour – so she knows that Sehun is either on his way to her place or already there. The bus arrives at the stop in a minute and before she realizes, she’s walking back up to her apartment.

“Umm, hello, you haven’t seen me in almost a week, can a guy get a hug?” There’s a tap on her shoulder and Haewon nearly drops the sampler when she spins around. “Amazing how we got here at the same time.”

Sehun looks tired, but the smile on his face never seems to falter. Haewon balances the box in one hand and wraps the other around her boyfriend’s waist, contorting herself around the duffle slung across his body. “I missed you a lot.” She can smell the lingering scent of his shampoo clinging onto his skin and a glance at his hair confirms that he showered before showing up. “Can you get my keys? I’ll start heating up the food once we get inside.”

Joohyun is in the living room flicking through the channels when they enter. “I ate already so I set out the table for you. It was delicious, Hae!” Joohyun gives Sehun a small wave. “Nice to see you’re alive!”

“Nice to see you too, Joohyun.” Sehun drops his duffle on the floor next to his seat and flops down on the chair. “I’m ready to eat. Can I eat?”

Haewon nods. “Yeah, go ahead. I ate out. I’m going to change first.” She grabs his duffle on the way out and leaves it in her room. When she returns, Sehun’s already halfway through his bowl of rice. “Are you that hungry?”

“I don’t have to diet anymore,” Sehun explains through a mouthful of food. “This is amazing, I love your cooking so much.”

Haewon watches as he continues to eat, smiling softly whenever he makes eye contact with her and urging him to eat more. When she sees Sehun slow down and rub at his stomach in contentment, she stands to grab the platter from the fridge. “I have something for you.” She sets it down on the table. “I saved a piece for you. Actually, many pieces because there were a lot of flavors.” She opens the box and giggles when Sehun’s jaw drops.

“I’m going to cry.”

“Please don’t.”