Orange.

Colours.

Jimin felt like his head was spinning. That was A LOT of information to get within 5 minutes. It didn't help that Jungkook was rambling on at the speed of light, mumbling so badly that it was impossible to make out half the things he was saying. All Jimin could grasp was that Jungkook's eye colour changed along with his emotions and he wore contacts to hide it. Apparently no one knew of his condition, not even his parents. He removes his contacts before bed and puts it on the next morning the moment he wakes up.

Jimin had a million questions on his mind but the first thought that he voiced was, "does this mean you're cooler than me now?" He pouted.

.
.
.

Jungkook was terrified. After attempting to explain to his hyung that he was neither a freak nor a weirdo and that he was infact, a normal human being; he sat there and braced himself for Jimin's response. He expected hurtful comments and disgusted looks. He thought his hyung would walk away and never return; taking Taehyung and Hoseok with him. Jungkook anticipated many things but this. His hyung was bouncing up and down on the bench with a million questions shooting out of his mouth. Jungkook didn't even get a chance to register what Jimin was saying before he was hit with yet another question.

"Hyung, you - " Jungkook called out in an attempt to get Jimin to stop talking.

It failed miserably.

"JIMIN HYUNG" he shouted, hoping to get his hyung to shut up for once and maybe get a breather in before he actually collapsed due to a lack of oxygen.

"Huh, what did you say kookie?" Jimin replied sheepishly.

"You know you have to stop talking in order for me to answer your questions right?" Jungkook sulked.

"Oh right, sorry kookie. I'm just too excited. This is honestly the coolest thing I've ever seen and oh my gosh kookie, you have no idea how fascinated I am and the fact that - "

"Hyung! What did I just say?" Jungkook interrupted, successfully this time.

Jimin apologized once more and proceeded to slide two fingers over his lips, imitating a zip, and twisted it to lock it. He was ready to have all his questions answered.

.
.
.

"So that's about it." Jungkook shrugged. "Oh, and you can’t tell anyone hyung. Not even taetae-hyung or hobi-hyung. I'm serious." Jungkook finished up with a frown on his face. It wasn't that he didn't trust his friends. It was just that the fear of getting judged was still there and he didn't want anything getting in the way of his new friendship. He was starting to treasure it more than he expected.

Jimin nodded his head while showing Jungkook his crossed fingers. Of course he would keep it a secret. He knew what happened if secrets got out. Bad things happened, terrible things.

"Thank you hyung." Jungkook breathed out a sigh of relief. He knew he could trust his hyung.

 

Jimin tilted his head, playfully staring at Jungkook; as if waiting for something.

A minute passed as Jungkook tried to understand his hyung's telepathy.

"Ugh. Yes hyung, you can speak now" Jungkook rolled his eyes, "I swear you're so childish, it's like I'm the hyung."

Jimin continued to sit there, wiggling his eyebrows and throwing Jungkook a wink.

What was his hyung doing now? Jungkook was done explaining and he gave his hyung the green light so WHY was his hyung doing that with his face? Firstly, it's confusing and makes no sense. And secondly, the wink? Seriously? What's up with the wink? Did he have dirt in his eye? Did he need to cry? Was his eye itchy?

 

Or maybe…was he winking because he thought Jungkook was cute? Was this his hyung's way of flirting with him? Did his magic eyes make him more attractive to -

Before Jungkook could drag his imagination further, Jimin nudged him, pointing to his lips.

Oh my god oh my god, did Jimin want a kiss? Oh my god, this was too sudden. I mean, Jungkook did think his hyung was the cutest being to walk this Earth but why did Jimin suddenly want a kiss? This was too much for Jungkook's little heart. He felt himself getting all sweaty and his heartbeat started to increase rapidly. What was he supposed to do now? Kiss him? In school? Infront of everyone? Infront of tae and hobi? It was his first kiss for god's sake! He had no idea what to do. Jungkook's mind was running at a thousand miles per hour, brain going into overdrive with all the different scenarios that could happen.

Jimin started pointing vigorously to the side of his lips, rotating his fingers back and forth. Jungkook stared questioningly at his hyung, one eyebrow raised in confusion.

His face turned beet red upon realizing what his hyung was asking of him.

"Hyung, seriously? How old are you? Twelve?" Jungkook rolled his eyes before stretching his hand forward to "unlock" the lock on Jimin's lips.

Jimin, ever the drama queen, proceeded to his lips before bursting out into a laughing fit. "Oh my god kookie, you at charades."

"No I don't", Jungkook argued back; lips in full pout. "Maybe you're just horrible at mime." He looked away, hoping to avoid Jimin's eyes; feeling beyond embarrassed for the thoughts that ran through his head a minute ago.

"Aigo, my little kookie, don't be angry. Hyung will buy you ice cream ok?" Jimin ruffled Jungkook's hair, getting up to go buy ice cream for said grumpy boy.

"I want two, both chocolate!" Jungkook shouted back, internally thanking the heavens that his hyung had finally left his side. Jungkook could feel his face all red and hot with embarrassment from actually thinking that his hyung was asking for a kiss? How could Jungkook be so dumb and naïve? As if someone like Jimin could ever find Jungkook remotely attractive. Ugh, thank god Jungkook didn’t do anything stupid like actually kiss Jimin. It would have been a disaster and Jungkook wasn't ready for Jimin to be out of his life yet. Sigh Jungkook, get yourself together.

 

Oh but still, how he wished Jimin would steal his first kiss.

.
.
.

As the days flew by, it was as if nothing had changed; except for the fact that Jungkook was going to die an early death. The chaotic duo was still constantly bickering, Hoseok and Taehyung were still completely oblivious to each other's feelings and school was still a living hell. But oh was Jungkook in deep . No matter how hard he tried, he couldn't stop himself from hurling down the mental rabbit hole that was Park Jimin.

Jungkook had always been a er for cute things but honestly, his pink hyung takes the ing cake with the icing on top when it comes to being adorable. It was during their winter break that Jungkook realized actually just how much trouble he was in.

Taehyung and Hoseok went back to their hometown for Christmas break, leaving Jungkook alone with Jimin. Jungkook's parents were going on a two week work trip, leaving Jungkook behind. Not that it mattered, he was used to it anyway. It just that he would be spending christmas alone.

Upon hearing this, Jimin decided to take matters into his own hands. He asked if Jungkook wanted to stay with him while Taehyung was gone, seeing as they were both alone and it could be fun to live together. Jungkook had declined the offer initially, knowing all too well that he would not be able to survive living two weeks in the same dorm as Park ing Jimin.

And as you guessed it, Jimin started to pout and whine in protest. Jungkook stayed strong of course. But his resolve crumbled to the ground faster than the titanic could sink when his hyung used his trademark puppy dog eyes.

So here he was, in the middle of winter, knocking on Jimin's door with a bag full of clothes and video games because god knows what his overly competitive hyung does for fun during days off.

The door swung wide open only to reveal Jimin in the ugliest Christmas sweater you could ever imagine; bright neon red stripes with patches of green trees and yellow presents. This was coupled with candy cane socks, brown ginger bread man pants and deer antlers that were nestled on his pink locks. Jungkook stood there with his jaw wide open. Why did his hyung have to be so loud and embarrassing? He was cute too, duh. But still, embarrassing beyond measure. He looked like a walking neon Christmas advertisement for god's sake.

You would think that it couldn't get any worse right? That this was the most obnoxiously Christmas-y anyone could get. But no, what stole the show were the ing light-up-sparkling-glittery-shiny merry Christmas glasses that his hyung had on his perfect little face.

"Oh my god hyung, what's wrong with you?" Jungkook deadpanned, trying to decide if it was too late to turn around and head home. I mean, it was possible that Jimin hadn’t noticed him yet, on account of oh I don't know, say blinding himself with his own damn glasses.

"Yay kookie, you're finally here! Come in, the snow is so cold outside!" his light-up hyung yelled while dragging Jungkook into the house.

It was going to be a loooong two weeks.

.
.
.

"Come on kookie, let me give you a tour of the mansion" Jimin exclaimed, blinding Jungkook with his overly excited smile.

"Hyung, this is literally a studio apartment with one bathroom. The bedroom, kitchen and living room are basically 20 steps away from each other," Jungkook rolled his eyes. "There you go, all done with the tour, thanks hyung."

Jimin attempted to kick Jungkook, "Aish, you're such a brat kookie."

"It's not my fault you live in a shoebox hyung" Jungkook teased.

"Shut up and get your coat kookie, we have shopping to do" Jimin instructed.

"Shopping? In his weather?" Jungkook was now certain that his hyung had a few screws loose in that tiny head of his. "It's so cold, I don't want to freeze to death" he whined, plopping his body down on the couch.

"Don’t be lazy kookie, you'll enjoy it. I promise." Jimin smirked, grabbing Jungkook's arm and whisking him off the couch and out the door, not before snatching his coat. After all, it was -10 degrees outside.

"Wait, are you seriously leaving the house dressed like a christmas abomination?!?"

.
.
.

Are you kidding me? Did his Jimin just drag him OUTSIDE in the FREEZING COLD away from the WARMTH of the dorm after the sun had SET just to buy a Christmas tree?!?

"HYUNG! Why couldn't you have just gotten a fake tree like the rest of the world? Like other normal people? It would have been so much easier!" Jungkook complained, hanging his body on Jimin in an attempt to keep warm.

"Because a fake tree is not in the spirit of Christmas my dear kookie. And besides, it's fun. " Jimin replied waggling his index finger, dragging Jungkook along while walking down the rows of tress, trying to spot a good one.

"At least I wouldn’t have had to worry about frostbite," Jungkook grumbled under his breath, trailing beside Jimin.

They spent the next 20 minutes strolling along the aisles trying to decide on which tree to get. Jungkook was content with getting the first tree he laid eyes on, anything to cut short this death trip in the cold. But no, Jimin had a whole list of criteria that the tree had to meet. Ugh, his stupid hyung and his stupid cute lists.

"Come on hyung, just pick one. It's so cold, I think I'm seriously going to die." Jungkook huffed, letting out a breath of cold air. "Do you want to be the one to tell my mother that I died just because you wanted a tree that had an even number of branches on each side? Huh? Do you?" He whined, rubbing his nose that had turned red from the cold.

"It has to be perfect kookie. Christmas is special. Just give me a few more minutes ok?" Jimin apologised, picking up his speed to sort through the trees faster. He just wanted to find the perfect tree so that Jungkook would have a memorable christmas at the dorm. He felt bad that Jungkook's parents were away and he wanted to do something to cheer him up.

"No more minutes hyung, I'm cold and tired. Let's just take this one and go." Jungkook stomped over to the nearest tree.

Jimin sighed. It wasn't the perfect tree but Jungkook obviously had enough of shopping. "Will this tree make you happy kookie?"

"Yes hyung, nothing would make me happier." Jungkook beamed at the thought of finally being able to ditch the cold and return to bask in the warmth of the dorm.

"Okay then, let's get it." Jimin gave in. It's not his dream tree but when he looked over to see the bright smile plastered on Jungkook's face, he decided that it was alright. All that matters is that Jungkook has a happy christmas and this feels like a good start.

.
.
.

After lugging their new tree home, Jimin decided that it was time for another competition. Each of them had to decorate half the tree and the person whose side looked better in the end would win. Jungkook wanted to reject the idea for obvious reasons; he preferred an evening without any casualties. However, after Jimin's constant pleading and whining, he gave in.

What? His hyung was a convincing ball of fluff.

Ok fine, Jungkook was just too weak to resist Jimin's charms. And besides, he had to do something to wipe that pout off Jimin's face before his heart combusted.

They spent the next hour fighting over decorations and shoving each other out of the way when one of them tried to sneak a peek at the other's progress. When Jungkook was satisfied with his side, he planted himself on the couch to wait for Jimin to be done.

He couldn't stop staring his hyung. There was just a certain duality to him. Jimin looked so serious and focused with what he was doing; that face was fierce enough to scare anyone. But then you have the stupid light-up glasses on his face combined with the damn deer antlers and suddenly Jungkook felt like he was looking at a cute little christmas elf. His mind couldn't comprehend the enigma that was Park Jimin. It was something he wanted to spend his life solving.

 

"Alright kookie, I'm done! Let the unveiling begin!" Jimin clapped in excitement, bouncing on the balls of his feet.

They each wandered over to the other's side and burst out laughing at the difference.

On one side, you had every available surface of the tree filled with every shape and size of decoration humanly possible. It was an array of colours; pink, gold, white. Any colour you named, it was there. There were rows of lights, cotton wool, fake snow.

And on the other side, you had a minimalist looking tree. Just a few decorations, colour coded by branch, and a single string of light neatly cascading down the side.

"I think we have a clear winner here," Jimin announced.

"Yeah I agree," Jungkook replied, still in shock and maybe a little blinded by his hyung's side of the tree.

"Mine." They both declared at the same time. Oh oh.

 

"Yours?!" Jimin screeched. "Your side is basically and there's nothing festive about it. That's the most boring tree I've seen in my life. Where's all the good stuff?"

"Well at least it's better than yours hyung. Yours looks as if santa vomitted all over it! It's so colourful and mismatched that I think I'm getting a headache!" Jungkook defended, placing his hand over his forehead for dramatic effect.

They proceeded to argue for the next ten minutes; trying to convince each other why their side deserved to win. Hands were waving in the air; pillows were thrown around. Eventually, Jungkook yielded. The vein in Jimin's temple was bulging out with every counter-argument that Jungkook was sure it would pop. Jimin smiled, content that he'd won. And suddenly, losing wasn't as bad as Jungkook thought.

As the loser, Jungkook had to prepare hot chocolate for Jimin with exactly seven marshmallows and twenty-nine rainbow sprinkles. Jungkook thought it was weird but he didn't question it, he would never understand what went on in his hyung's head anyway.

While Jungkook was busy in the kitchen, Jimin brought pillows and blankets to the couch. He wanted to show Jungkook the best part of Christmas - snow watching. He couldn't wait to give the younger his present too. It took him a whole week to make it. He was nervous but he hoped Jungkook liked it just as much as he did.

 

When Jungkook was done, he brought the drinks over, settling next to his hyung.

"Thanks kookie." Jimin took the mug from him, "it smells so good."

"I hope I made it right hyung," Jungkook replied with a smile. The little nickname still got to him at the most unexpected time. He loved hearing the fondness in his hyung's voice. It made him feel special.

"What are we doing now?" Jungkook questioned, turning to give Jimin his full attention. He got the feeling that Christmas was a very special time for his hyung; so he wanted to show that he cared.

"IT'S TIME FOR YOUR PRESENT KOOKIE!" Jimin yelled, waving a neatly wrapped gift in Jungkook's face.

Oh , were they supposed to get presents? Ugh Jungkook, why are you so dumb? Of course you were supposed to get presents, it's Christmas for god's sake! The holiday of gift-giving and hot chocolate. Jimin was going to hate him now, that's for sure.

"Aish kookie, stop worrying," Jimin said, noticing the frown lines and panic plastered across Jungkook's face. "I just wanted to give you something, you didn't have to get me anything. Don't worry," he smiled, shoving the present in Jungkook's hand. Jimin was beyond nervous; he prayed that the younger wouldn't think it was lame.

Jungkook took the present from his hyung, guilt gnawing away at his heart. He made a mental note to get his hyung something tomorrow morning. Or maybe he could make Jimin breakfast. Hmm, maybe eggs? Or pancakes? Or maybe waffles with -

"Hey kookie, stop zoning out and open my gift!" Jimin's screaming bringing him back to Earth.

"Oh right, sorry hyung." He opened his present slowly, careful to control his facial expressions because he could feel his hyung staring intently at him.

He ripped off the last of the wrapping paper and was left speechless. Literally. There were no words to describe what he was holding in his hand.

 

In his hand laid the ugliest sweater Jungkook had ever seen in his life. It consisted of bright red and green checks, each box lined with silver tassels. There was a dark green wreath in the middle laced with gold and mini candy canes adorned the sleeves. To top it all off, there was a white star in the middle of the wreath that lit up. Yes, the shirt actually physically lighted up. Jungkook was appalled.

He frowned. Did Jimin give this to him as a joke? Where did he even find this abomination? And did he actually pay for this? With real money? Jungkook was lost for words. He thought Jimin's Christmas sweater was ridiculous, but this; this took the cake. It was truly ugly and Jungkook was convinced this was a prank. He was just about to laugh and tease his hyung when Jimin spoke up.

"I uh, I made it for you kookie." Jimin quietly mumbled, scratching the back of his neck. He hesitantly added, "I know it's not expensive or anything but I uh, I just wanted you to have something nice this Christmas because your parents are away and uh, yeah, I hope you like it." Jimin looked at the floor, fiddling with his thumbs. He was unsure of how Jungkook felt due to his lack of expression but he was almost positively sure Jungkook hated it and thought Jimin was lame for giving him something so dumb. Damn it Jimin, all you had to do was make Jungkook happy this Christmas and you managed to screw that up.

Silence. Jungkook was stunned. He didn't know what to say or do. Jimin made this for him? From scratch? He actually spent time and effort to knit this for him? Jimin did something so sweet and selfless and Jungkook had the audacity to make fun of it? He was a horrible dongsaeng.

"You uh, you don't have to keep it if you don’t want. I can tell you don't really like it. I'm sorry kookie. You can throw it away or something. Yeah." Jimin quietly added to fill the silence.

Jimin planned to get up and leave the room; wanting to be anywhere but beside Jungkook. The humiliation and embarrassment was getting too much and he didn't want break down and cry infront of the younger. Just as he was about to get up, Jungkook grabbed his arm.

"I love it, hyung." Jungkook sheepishly replied, gathering all the courage he had to look into his hyung's eyes. All he saw was vulnerability and tears welling up in his hyung's beautiful eyes. He can't believe he made his hyung upset, and on Christmas itself. Knowing that Jimin made this for him, Jungkook was beyond touched. He'd never gotten anything like this in his life; something so thoughtful and full of meaning.

"Are you sure kookie? You don’t have to lie to make me feel better. I know it's ugly." Jimin retracted his arm. "You already made fun of my own sweater this morning and I knitted that too. It's okay kookie, it's just not your style." Jimin felt hurt, his heart ached. He spent a whole week making that but he couldn't blame it on the younger. Not everyone liked sweaters like these. He couldn't force Jungkook to like it. He just wished that the younger would appreciate his efforts. His emotions got the better of him and he felt tears roll down his cheeks. Great, now Jungkook would think he was a big baby.

Jungkook took a step forward and wiped away his hyung's tears. He hesitated for a moment before placing his arms around his hyung's tiny waist; giving Jimin a hug. "I love it hyung. You're right, it's not my design, or style, but I do love it. I love it because you made it for me. I truly do, hyung." He whispered, hoping Jimin would understand how sincere he was. He regretted not giving Jimin the reaction he desired; for hurting him.

"Really?" Jimin's face lit up, smiling so wide that his eyes turned into little crescents.

"Really."

"I'm happy you like it kookie."

Seeing Jimin's face full of happiness, Jungkook felt his heart beat faster, he was fall even deeper into the ocean that was Park Jimin.

 

The moment they had was cut short by Jimin yapping away animatedly, "now go put it on so that we can match!" Jimin twirled, showing off his own disaster of a sweater.

Jungkook sighed. He hauled his to the bathroom to change. He decided to wash up, wanting to be fresh for the rest of the evening. He removed his contacts and earrings and hopped in the shower to take a quick rinse, not wanting Jimin to wait long for him. He pulled the sweater over his head and stared at his reflection in the mirror.

God was this sweater the most unflattering piece of clothing he'd ever worn. But it's all right, he would it up as long as it made his pink hyung happy. Jimin's happiness this Christmas was all that mattered, Jungkook wanted to stare at that smile forever.

 

He left the bathroom and found Jimin quietly sitting in the pile of blankets, staring out into the snow.

"What are you doing hyung?" Jungkook questioned, still toweling off his damp hair.

"I'm snow watching kookie. It's my favourite thing to do during Christmas. Join me." Jimin answered with his knees propped up; chin leaning on them, gazing out at the snow cascading down the glass windows.

The atmosphere felt different. Jimin didn't look at him once; he didn’t even give a comment on the sweater Jungkook was wearing. His hyung that normally couldn't stop talking was now just somber. It was weird.

Jimin didn't elaborate any further so Jungkook took the hint. He sat down and followed what his hyung was doing. Looking out, he saw thousands of snowflakes out in the cold; plummeting towards the ground; painting a white sheet over the grass. The wind was blowing harshly, making the snowflakes seem like butterflies chasing each other around; almost in a courting manner.

It was dead quiet, only the sound of their breathing could be heard.

 

All of a sudden, Jimin started singing. It was quiet, almost like a whisper, but Jungkook still heard it.

Jimin's voice, god. It was the most beautiful sound Jungkook had ever heard. It was sweet and melodic, just like honey. His tone was so soft and soothing that Jungkook felt all warm and fuzzy inside; as if he was engulfed in a hug. There was so much emotion in Jimin's singing that Jungkook felt things stirring up inside of him. Things he'd never felt before. He felt safe but lonely. He felt a sense of being lost and wanting to be found; wanting to return to a home. A home that didn’t exist. It was as if he was longing for something, but he didn't know what.

"Isn't it beautiful kookie?" Jimin questioned, eyes still fixed on the falling snow.

Jungkook turned to look at his hyung, his beautiful hyung that was sweet and selfless. His beautiful hyung that taught him so much; that always looked after him. His beautiful hyung that was always cheerful, always ready to help others and make them happy. His beautiful hyung that hid his true self for the fear of being judged. His beautiful hyung that was still a mystery to Jungkook, but one that he wanted to spend his life solving. His beautiful, perfect hyung.

"Yeah, breathtaking."

 

Jimin turned to look at the younger, just in time to witness Jungkook's eyes fade to orange.

The colour of warmth and safety; a home.