004

Unrequited Love

Jongin went through his instagram, bored as hell. He wanted to spend some time with Taemin. Well,techinally he did. Except that the latter was talking, no more like flirting on the phone with a girl who he recently met after his break up. 

And worse, Taemin's basketball teammates joined them both at their table. Jongin was well accquianted with then but they were rather annoying, always being loud, boasting about their skills and statuses and showing off all the time. Definitely not his types of 'friend' .

"New chick?" One of them asked his crush as he picked up two or three fries and into his mouth, chewing loudly. "I thought you just broke up?"

Taemin just snorted and shrugged it off. "Just passing the time."

Jongin did really wonder why he was still friends and moreover,crushing on Taemin. But then he believed, after all these terrible persona, there was a kind soft Taemin who he fell in love with. Hopefully.

"Hey,have you seen that senior with stupid face?" One of the jock asked suddenly.

"Which one?" Taemin asked,munching on his sandwich loudly. 

"The one with the thick glasses and super short? Doh Kwang something something?" Jongin sat still again instead of getting up like he planned when he heard the name Doh.

Kyungsoo hyung.

"You hit him with the ball when he was walking beside the basketball field. And now he looks like a ing idiot, bumping into people." The guy laughed out loud as he finished his sentence.

"It was an accident." Taemin smirked as he air quoted the word 'accident' . It's his fault. He should not be walking with the earphones on, not paying attention to his surroundings like that. I just gave him a life lesson." Jongin clenched his fist so hard and inhaled deeply when the whole table broke out laughing as if it was a very funny event.

He stood up abruptly,not even bothering to say byes to them,even when his beloved Tamin was calling out to him.

▪▪▪▪

Instead of walking through the route he usually did, Jongin chose the one at the back of the campus, where the small park was located. He just felt like walking around and sorted his thoughts out. It was a nice rather quite area.

On the way, he saw a familiar figure. Guess he was not the only one who like  this place. He pulled out his earphone, his lips opened slightly in surprise which wsd later replaced by a small warm smile.

It was Kyungsoo. Sitting on one of the benches with a small notepad in his hand with his earphones on. His lips puckered out alittle as a pout and his brows were furrowed together. 

Jongin internally cooed at the sight.

The older gasped loudly when Jongin tapped his shoulder softly.

"Jongin!" The said male smiled sheepishly.

"Sorry for scaring you." Kyungsoo just smiled softly. Jongin noticed he was now wearing a black framed glasses which the older kept pushing up his nose.

Cute.

Seeing the glasses reminded Jongin of what he heard at the table. Of what Taemin did. Sudden guilt filled his entire chest.

"Is something wrong?" The older's voice snapped him out of his thoughts and Jongin realised he had been staring at Kyungsoo. He shook his head with a smile.

"Nothing..So what are you doing?" He asked curiously, pointing at the older's notebook.

"Oh....just...trying song writing.." Kyungsoo looked very embrassed as he tried to hid the notebook away. The tanned male's eyes went wide in amazement as his lips formed an O shape.

"Can you sing it to me? I've heard your voice is amazing!!" Kyungsoo blushed furiously at that as he looked away.

"Please please please please." Kyungsoo's walls crumbled down when he got a glance of Jongon's infamous puppy looks. 

"Okay....BUT I am not good,okay? It's just a draft too..." Jongin nodded excitedly as he gave his all attention. And Kyungsoo started singing softly.

She’s my baby saehayan geu son kkeute
Nogabeorin syokollatte you’re walking into my door, oh yeah!

She’s my lady nunbusin ni ipsure
Ppajyeobeorin naneun noye I’m running into your heart, oh yeah!

"That---that's it." He muttered shyly,as he looked down on his lap,not daring to look at Jongin's reaction.

"OH MY GOD" he heard Jongin's exclaiming under his breath. "HYUNG" He hesitantly looked up at the younger whose eyes were widened and was wearing a big smile.

"THAT WAS--THAY WAS SO BEAUTIFUL. YOUR VOICE IS JUST...OH MY GOD." Jongin said that so loudly that Kyungsoo was so glad that there weren't anyone around or people would be staring at them.

"Don't exaggerate" he mumbled, his embrassment set to the maximum that he could feel his face burning.

"Junmyeon hyung and Sehun were right. You have a very nice voice. A beautiful one." Jongin said, his voice back to normal tone but he was wearing this expression that made Kyungsoo felt like his heart was going to jump put of his chest from beating too much. He was wearing such a soft smile.

"Promise me you will sing to me your own songs like that in future too?" Jongin put up his pinky finger in front of him.

"Wha--what? I am not even sure I will write that much even." Kyungsoo laughed awkwardly,still staring at the younger's hand in confusion.

"Promise." Jongin insisted, wearing a big grin and Kyungsoo just had to give in, joining Jongin's pinky finger with his own.

▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎

Somehow,for some reasons,they ended up going out alot together. Well,mostly to eat out. 

While texting back and forth, Jongin discovered Kyungsoo's love to try new food and that he knew alot of restaurants. So Jongin suggested that he would come along with the older too. ("If you don't mind,of course!) And Kyungsoo being Kyungsoo, could not resist and agreed to the younger's idea.

So they had been researching restaurants together to visit them. Today, it was a fast food restaurant which had recently opened near Jongin's apartment and the younger invited him out,saying it was his treat.

"The setting is nice. Cozy enough" Jongin leaned down in the table to talk to him and he smiled.

"Yeah. I am also excited to taste the food too!" Unexpectedly, Jongin pouted at it word,surprising him.

"I feel like you are more excited for the food than to meet me." Kyungsoo was caught off-guard at it.

But Kyungsoo realised from way before that the younger tended to say that kind of things alot. He was a very touchy person too. Those habits of Jongin used to flutter Kyungsoo alot at first. But now,he was starting to get used to it...

"Well, to try food around is the purpose of our hangout so...." He teased and ended up chuckling when he saw Jongin's pout getting bigger.

"Jongin?" The said male turned to look and Kyungsoo's eyes travelled to the guy behind the younger.

"Taemin!?" Jongin abruptly stood up in surprise his friend, who he had had feeling. For years.

The said friend looked at him up and down briefly and then smirked before turning to look at Jongin again.

"I didn't know you and that four eyes know each other" His voice was filled with such arrogance and mockery. 

"It's none of your business" he couldn't see what expression Jongin was wearing but he was clenching his fists so hard ay his sides.

"Your glasses looking good. Not blind anymore,huh? Watch where you're going next time or you're gonna get hit again." Jongin's friend continued, staring straight at Kyungsoo, who decided to reply nothing and avoided his judging look.

"Leave us alone,Taemin. Please" Jongin's voice came out stern as he stepped to the side,covering Kyungsoo from his friend's view.

Taemin was about to retort back but a girl came on, immediately linking arms with him as she got to his side.

"Oppa, got our orders. Let's go now." There was seconds of silence past before Taemin finally backed out and bid them goodbye and smirked at Kyungsoo's way.

"I am sorry." Jongin apologised,his eyes kept down. Kyungsoo just smiled and he leaned foward on the table to ruffled Jongin's hair, making the younger looked up in surprise.

"It's not your fault and you know it." He said as he sat back down.

"But....he is my friend and to see him talking and doing things like that to you....I hate it." 

"It's okay. You stood up for me just now. It's nothing,okay? Don't let it spoil our food adventure!" He said,trying to cheer up the mood and at least succeeded abit as Jongin looked up and smiled at him.

"He got a new girl so quick..." Jongin mumbled, pain obvious in his voice. "I don't even know why I fell in love with him in the first place." Kyungsoo's breath hitched as he felt a pang to his heart when Jongin said that softly.

"Love works in mysterious ways" Kyungsoo said,with a sad smile. He missed the way Jongin looked at him, surprised reaction obvious on his face.

"Are you....Do you maybe have someone you love?" And he also missed the way how the question came out with such hesitation.

Kyungsoo stared up at Jongin,looking fluttered when he saw the younger looking at him with such intensity.

"No." He shook his head. "I don't." 

Of course,it was a lie. A big fat lie.

▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎

"Does Kyungsoo hyung have someone he likes?" Both Junmyeon and Sehun stared at his friend,who was playing around with the food on his plate with a fork.

"Not that I know of." Junmyeon replied, despite knowing what he said was not true. His boyfriend glanced at him,quizzical about Jongin's out of nowhere question too.

"Why you asked?" Sehun asked nonchalantly,munching on his fries.

"Just curious" Jongin answered, still not looking up,eyebrows furrowed together and looking down at his lunch as if it was the most interesting thing ever. 

"Are you sure---"

"Hey guys, sorry for being late" Jongin flinched,startled,when he suddenly heard Kyungsoo's voice behind him.

From the side, Junmyeon looked curiously with a small frown at how his younger friend's expression changed so quickly. A rather moping expression on Jongin's face was replaced by a big grin the second he saw Kyungsoo.

"Hyung---" His sentence stopped in the middle when he saw a tall guy standing a little bit behind Kyungsoo.

"Urm right! Guys,this is Chanyeol,an exchange student and also my project partner. Chanyeol, this is Jongin, Sehun and Junmyeon." He made a quick introduction. The couple both nodded with a smile while Jongin just stared at the stranger.

"Hello!" The new guy greeted cheerfully with a toothy grin. Too cheerful for Jongin's taste. And what was not to his taste more was the tall guy's hand on Kyungsoo's shoulder.

Didn't they know each other like just recently? Why was he acting so friendly with Kyungsoo?

Jontin decided he did not like that Chanyeol guy the more he laid eyes on him.

Not at all.