Bells

In Pursuit

"Are you ready?" Kibum asks, as Taemin takes a look at himself in the mirror. 

"To be part of the royal family? I don't know... To be married to the love of my life... I can't wait," Taemin smiles. 

He looks completely radiant in his designer suit that was picked by Kibum. His hair was slicked back and he was looking the best that he had ever looked in his entire life. He was wearing the most expensive pair of shoes that money could buy, and it gave the entire look the cohesive air of sophistication and elegance. The suit fit him so well, and hugged him in all the right places. The older man is completely satisfied with his styling choices. 

"Well, I think you look hot. The Prince isn't going to be able to keep his hands off of you," Kibum snickers.

"Oh my God, Kibum," the younger man says, rolling his eyes.

"What? It's true..." Kibum says, smoothing out the back of Taemin's jacket. "You know, Jonghyun finally asked me out on a date..."

Taemin turns around to face his friend, eyes wide with excitement. "FINALLY!! What the hell took him so long??" 

"Oh, you know him... He's a bit of a skeptic when it comes to love and all that... But he said when he saw you and Jinki... It made him think differently. So I guess I have you to thank," Kibum says, a huge smile on his face.

"I get to be the best man at your wedding then," Taemin says, matter-of-factly.

"Easy, it's just a date... But yeah... Maybe... If you're good to me," Kibum laughs.

Suddenly there was a loud knock on the door and it swings open, revealing a very important visitor.

"Your Majesty," the two bow deeply, as the King makes his way into Taemin's holding room.

"Kibum, my apologies, but would you mind giving me a minute alone with Taemin?" the older man says.

"O-of course not, Your Majesty... I'll be right outside," the young man says, scrambling to get out of the room.

Taemin takes a deep breath as nervousness overwhelms him. He had never spoken alone with the King like this. He readies himself for the worst case scenario and reminds himself that the only important thing in this moment is how much he and Jinki love each other.

"I wanted to give you this," the King says. 

He opens a long velvet box filled with exquisite royal medals. 

"I wanted you to wear these today as a symbol that you're part of the royal family. Most of these are part of my personal collection, passed down from generation to generation, but this one I had made especially for you," he says, taking one medal out in particular.

Taemin stares at it and it is a mixture of blue and red ribbons, embossed with the official government symbols for health and education. Taemin carefully runs his hands over it, astonished by the craftsmanship behind every carving.

"I know that these are causes that are dear to your heart, so I thought it appropriate to have as your official royal emblem," the King says, studying Taemin's reaction. "Do you like it?"

"It's beautiful, Your Majesty..." Taemin says, trying to stop the tears from falling from his eyes.

"Here," the King says. "Ask Kibum to help you arrange all these on your sash. Please take it as my sincerest offering to you... Welcome, my Son. I was a fool to not notice it in the beginning but you really are the perfect match for Jinki. Your heart and your warmth is something that this country so desperately needs. And your love for my son is something that I will forever be in your debt for. Your addition to the family is our immense honor," the King says, beaming proudly.

"Th-thank you, Your Majesty..." Taemin answers faintly, overwhelmed by the moment.

"Please... Call me Father."

***** 

Jinki is standing at the back of the church, waiting to walk down the aisle. Despite its short notice, most world leaders and all of the important heads of government are present, sharing in this momentous occassion. He could hear the crowds roar outside as they receive news that the ceremony is about to start. The turnout was truly unprecendented. It seemed like the entire country was waiting with bated breath for the ceremony, as all the local news channels were simultaneously streaming the live broadcast. 

Taemin was so lovingly embraced by his countrymen. He was the symbol of the simple, working man and news of his huge heart and charity work had only made him more popular with the masses. His radical solutions for possible reforms in his areas of interest had gotten the respect of the lawmakers and dignitaries, giving him a voice where it could actually make a difference.

Jinki was also praised for his modern choice. Marrying outside the usual circles of the monarchy gave the impression that the Palace was ready to move with the modern times, shattering the image of being stuffy and unreachable. Trust in him soared and the people had sudden confidence in his abilities to lead the nation. The Crown Prince was more popular than ever, with his countrymen eager to see him rule one day.

"Minho..." he says with a deep breath, as he clutches his best man's arm.

"It'll be fine, Your Majesty... I have the ring and your vows in my pocket... All you have to do is walk down the aisle and get married," the younger man says.

"I love him, Minho..." Jinki says, with shaky breath.

"The whole world knows it, Your Highness... So does he," Minho says with a smile.

The orchestra starts to play and the people in the church pews start to turn around and look at the small entourage. 

"Here we go..." Jinki says, sweating bullets.

*****

Jinki finally makes his way to the front of the church, a flush coming across his cheeks. There were hundreds of people staring at him with huge smiles on their faces, but there was only one smile that he was longing to see. 

Minho is standing beside him and reaches out to pat him on the shoulder for a bit of comfort. Jinki smiles at how well his friend knows him. The Prince looks over at his parents and his mother was already weeping buckets, having gone through her third handkerchief in less than twenty minutes.  

The church is beautiful, as they are all surrounded by stunning arrangements of white roses--a choice that Taemin made himself. He says white roses are the happiest flower and it makes him smile. How could Jinki argue with that? The Prince's palms were sweating in anticipation as he watched every member of the entourage make their way down the aisle. His heart almost stops as he sees Kibum, knowing that Taemin is next. True enough, it is Taemin who steps onto to the red carpet next.

His eyes are beaming and his gaze is Jinki's and Jinki's alone. Tears form the Prince's eyes as he takes in the absolute beauty of Taemin in that moment. He recognizes the love pouring out of his eyes as he slowly walks towards the altar. Jinki's breath catches in his throat as he realizes that Taemin is wearing the badges and medals that his Father has always held dear. He shoots a look at the King and the elder royal nods his head in acknowledgement. The fact that everything had fallen into place makes Jinki cry. This was the most beautiful moment of his life.

Taemin finally arrives at the front of the church and Jinki almost immediately clutches his hand and laces it with his. Everyone present was in awe of the sincerity in both grooms, never questioning that this marriage was indeed a marriage of love.

The minister takes his place and the ceremony begins. The beginning of it was a blur. All that either of them could think about was the happiness that they felt, having this moment actually happen in their lives. Jinki, in particular, was starting to get nervous about the vows that they were about to make to each other. If there was a perfect time to express his love to Taemin, this was it. He wanted it to be absolutely perfect.

Suddenly, the moment of truth arrives. 

"Do we have the rings?" the minister says, as Kibum and Minho move to the grooms to hand them their wedding bands. 

Jinki goes first, his hands shaking with excitement. He holds Taemin's left hand in his and clears his throat.

"Taemin... In front of God, the country, and most especially... Taesun..." Jinki looks over at Taemin's older brother as the entire church laughs. Taesun gives a thumbs up as Jinki proceeds. "I think it's safe to say now that you are not the obvious choice... The Crown is bound by years of tradition, and all my life, I had every intention of following it to the T... Until I met you. You changed my world, Taemin. You made me see that there is so much more to this country and its people than what I have experienced in my very organized bubble... Your brightness and excitement about life has made me excited to live it, too, with as much wonder as you. You make my life happier, and fill it with love and laughter... You treat me not as a Prince, but as your friend... As someone you have chosen to love. And how loved you make me feel, my darling. This is why I vow to honor you, protect you, and love you for the rest of my days. As long as you are with me, I know that I can be the honorable man that this country deserves to have as its leader. I love you with all of my heart... For the rest of my life." 

Jinki slips the platinum wedding band on Taemin's finger as the younger man's tears fall freely down his cheeks. Kibum hands him a tissue as the church laughs again at the cuteness of the moment, the two being so sincere about their love for each other. It was such a privilege for everyone to witness.

Taemin hands the tissue back to Kibum as he takes the wedding band and Jinki's left hand in his, starting his own vows.

"My Crown Prince... I never thought that in all my days I could even meet you, let alone know you as deeply as I do. All this time I have been thinking what it was exactly that you saw in me. You could have had your pick from anyone in the land and beyond but, even with all my annoying allergies, you picked me. One day, when I caught you looking at me with the purest look of kindness in your eyes, I finally understood... You saw me; the real me. The me that no one else had ever taken the time to look at before. Since I have known you, no one has made me feel more accepted, or more special, or more loved--just by being me. I am truly grateful to have found your friendship... And your fierce love. From this moment on, I vow to be yours... To be your side through anything that life may bring. I vow to love you with a passion, and serve our country alongside you with my life. I vow to help you fulfill your duties as Crown Prince, and one day, as King, to the best of my abilities. With all my heart, I commit myself to you, and only you... For as long as I live."

The young man slips the ring onto Jinki's hand, the both of them with tears streaming down their faces. Kibum hands Taemin a handkerchief once again and the entire church chuckles as he not only wipes the tears off his own face, but on Jinki's as well.

The minister smiles at the two of them and gets ready to make the official declaration.

"By the power vested in me by the State and by the church, let it be known that Crown Prince Lee Jinki and Prince Lee Taemin are hereby wed. You may now kiss your spouse," he says, as the room erupts in applause.

Jinki takes his husband in his arms and gives him the sweetest and most passionate kiss that the country had ever seen. Cheers erupt from outside the church as the crowd outside gathers news of the end of the ceremony as well.

The couple looks around at the happy faces of their loved ones and are filled with contentment in this moment. Jinki takes his husband's hand and clutches it in his.

"I love you, Taemin," he whispers.

"I love you more..."

*****

Princes Jinki and Taemin walk hand-in-hand to the balcony of the church to face the crowds for the first time as a married couple. There was nothing more beautiful to the both of them than this moment, with their families behind them, and the love and support of their country being expressed to them in such a special way.

They take their place in the middle of the balcony and wave to the great crowds cheering below.

"All hail His Royal Highness Crown Prince Lee Jinki, and His Royal Highness Prince Lee Taemin!"

The crowds roar in jubilation as the royal couple shares a kiss for all to see. They smile as their foreheads touch, never wanting this moment to end.

"This is it, Prince Taemin... Are you with me?"

"I'm with you, my Prince."

xxxxx

A/N: Aww, this is so bittersweet!! Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to read this fic... I really didn't intend for this to go as long as it did, but I fell in love with writing it so we ended up with fifteen chapters instead of the original seven that I was planning... I really hope you guys enjoyed it and I hope that it gave you some smiles. I don't know what each of you are going through but I hope that these stories help to brighten your days somehow. I already know some of you will be asking about a sequel and unfortunately for now, I have to decline on that... I have so many on-going stories that also need love and attention but, one day, who knows! I'm not completely opposed to the idea, just not now, I guess. :) Again, a big, big THANK YOU for all your support. I truly appreciate every view, upvote, subscription and comment! You guys are the best... Love you fam, and til next story! Annyeong! -Belle