The Ball

In Pursuit

"Oh my God, I can't believe we're going to the Ball!" Kibum says, running his hands over his tuxedo. "This is literally a dream come true. Our pictures are going to be all over the news! This is so exciting!"

"Kibum, no one is going to care about who we are," Jonghyun says, standing in front of the mirror behind him.

"They will when they see us!" he says, posing in front of the mirror and trying to block Jonghyun's view.

"You guys look so incredible! My goodness!" Taemin says. "We should really dress like this more often."

"Yeah, Teamin, this tux goes well with my apron," Kibum says rolling his eyes. "I can't believe this is really happening!"

"Honestly, neither can I... I feel like this I'm in a dream and I'm just waiting for myself to wake up," Taemin says.

"But it's not a dream, sweetie..." Kibum smiles. "That's the best part."

Taemin's cell phone beeps and he doesn't even have to check the message to know that it's Minho telling them them that the convoy has just arrived to pick them up.

"Are you guys ready? Our ride is here," Taemin says, looking out the window to be sure. 

"Us? How about you? Are you ready? The whole world is about to find out that you're going to be the future King..." Jonghyun says.

The statement makes Taemin stop in his tracks. He really didn't know how to answer that question at all. Jonghyun was right. In the rush of everything, he had completely forgotten that his whole world will completely turn topsy-turvy in a few hours. 

The young man takes a deep breath and looks himself over in the mirror one last time. 

"Let's go."

****

"Hello, my darling..." the Queen says, both parents coming into Jinki's room. "Well, that designer is a genius. You look so handsome, Jinki."

"And you look radiant as always, Mother..." Jinki says, giving his mother a kiss on the cheek. "Father..." he says, giving the King a nod. "I'm glad you got safely home from the border."

For this special occassion, they were all donning the family color. The Queen was in a red ballgown and silk gloves, wearing the crown jewels on her perfectly coiffed hair. The King is in his traditional tuxedo and sash of the family crest's colors, as well as his own set of the crown jewels on his head. Jinki is in an impeccably fitted tuxedo with the royal sash going across his chest. It bears some of the family medals and some of his own medals from his years serving in the armed guard.

"Is Taemin on his way?" The Queen asks.

"Yes, Mother... Minho says they'll be here soon," Jinki says, sighing deeply. He was doing his best to hide his nerves about tonight's announcement. There was something about telling the whole world about the person that he loves. It was exhilirating and terrifying all at the same time.

"We made the traditional donation to your charity in your name as a birthday gift, but there's something else that we wanted to give you..." she says, handing him a black velvet box. "Your Father and I had it made specially for you... To give to Taemin tonight."

Jinki carefully opens the box and gasps. In it was the most beautiful ring that he had ever seen. It had a thick gold band with a brilliant ruby in the center, in the exact shade of the family crest. The Prince's eyes tears up as he looks at it carefully. He knew instantly that Taemin would love it. And the fact that his parents made it for him was the best part of it all.

The King steps closer to his son and places his hand on his shoulder. Jinki suddenly becomes nervous about what the King was about to say. He didn't have a problem fighting for his love for Taemin, but any child would always want the blessing of their parents. His wishes were confirmed when he sees the kindness and love in his father's eyes.

"In the end, Son, all we want is for you to be happy. Follow your heart, Jinki... Happy Birthday."

*****

There was a different kind of buzz all around that night, as no one actually had an idea of who Jinki was going to choose. The streets leading up to the Palace were closed and there were police and Special Agents all around, making sure that the area was secure. There was a large gathering of people outside waving roses and flags, hoping to catch a glimpse of the Crown Prince and his new beloved. 

When the car of the three friends pulled up, they saw news vans in a row covering the affair, with their reporters dressed in their best attire. 

"Wow, oh my God... This is an even bigger deal than I thought it would be," Kibum says, acting nervous for the first time in the entire evening.

"Of course, Kibum. What did you think? The Crown Prince is choosing his future spouse..." Jonghyun says, looking towards Taemin.

The young man's face grows pale at all the pomp and circumstance. He had tried to ready himself for the inevitability of it all, but never did he think that it would be as big as this. His throat suddenly becomes dry and his hands start to become clammy. 

"Are you alright, Taeminnie?" Jonghyun asks, concerned.

"I... I suddenly don't feel so well..." he says, his voice shaking. There were tears forming in his eyes as nervousness starts to overwhelm him. This wasn't just about him and Jinki anymore. It suddenly dawns on him that he is about to become an important symbol of the nation; one of its most important leaders. He wasn't so sure that he was ready for such a thing.

Kibum takes his hand and his hair carefully. "It's going to be fine, Taemin... All of this is for you... We're here," he says with a smile.

The gesture makes Taemin feel a little better and he clasps his friend's hand back. As he does so, a glimmer comes across Kibum's eye.

"Oh my God, Taemin... Those cuff links are gorgeous..." he says, admiring them carefully.

"J-Jinki gave them to me last night... He gave them for me to wear..." Taemin says.

"See? He's with you, even now... There's nothing to be afraid of..." Jonghyun says, with the kindest eyes he had ever seen from his friend. 

"Thanks, guys..." Taemin says. "Promise me nothing will change?"

"You'll always be my little brat," Kibum says, as the car pulls up to the drop-off point.

Taemin takes a deep breath as the car door opens. 

The three friends step out of the car to bright flashes from lenses and more than a dozen television cameras on them. The red carpet was well-watched by everyone in the country, as they were all trying to guess who Prince Jinki was going to pick as his bethroed. It was unsual that there wasn't even an inkling of who it was going to be, so the media was especially on edge, trying to get good footage of everyone arriving--except for the three of them. They were virtually ignored when they arrived as soon as everyone realized that they weren't anyone special.

"I told you no one would care who we are," Jonghyun says.

"I think I kind of prefer it that way," Taemin says, easily slipping past all the media coverage.

Minho was waiting for them as soon as they stepped into the grand foyer, dressed even more dapper than he usually was. His warm smile put Taemin even more at ease, knowing that a friendly face was waiting for him. 

"Good evening, Taemin... I've been waiting for you to arrive," Minho says.

"Hi, Minho... These are my best friends Kim Kibum and Kim Jonghyun... Guys, this is the very capable Choi Minho, right hand man and best friend in the world of Prince Jinki..." Taemin beams. These were the three people that were closest to his heart in the recent days. It felt really good to finally be able to introduce them to one another.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, gentlemen," Minho says. The two return warm greetings as Minho's attention turns back to Taemin for the meantime. 

"Sir, the Prince is waiting for you in one of the rooms upstairs... I think it would be best for the both of you to stay there until it's time to make the announcement. I can you there now," he says.

"Will you guys be okay?" Taemin asks the two.

"There's an open bar to your left and snacks are being served all throughout the venue," Minho says with a smile.

"Open bar? I'm good. Come on, Jonghyun," Kibum says, taking Jonghyun's hand and leading him away.

"This way, Sir..." Minho gestures and leads Taemin to begin the rest of his life.

*****

Jinki is pacing around in one of the Palace rooms awaiting Taemin's arrival. In no time at all, Minho comes into the room followed closely by Taemin. Minho bows at the both of them and quietly leaves the room with a smile on his face.

"Wow... Jinki... You look..." Taemin says, his eyes wide and his heart starting to race.

"So do you," the Prince beams.

"No... I mean it... You look like the Prince of my dreams..." Taemin says, coming in for a tight embrace.

Suddenly, there is a knock on the door and Jinki's face lights up. 

"I have a surprise for you..." the Prince says, excitedly opening the door himself. 

Taemin stares at him and his eyes sparkle when he realizes exactly who was walking through. "Mom... Dad... Taesun!"

The young man immediately runs to greet his family. He had lost all hope that he would get to see them this holiday season. Their presence, especially in this occassion, made the tears shoot out of his eyes in record time. "I missed you all so much... What are you doing here?"

"His Highness arranged for us to be here... Taeminnie, we wouldn't miss this for the world," Taemin's father says, clutching the arm of his son tightly.

"Sweetheart, you look so handsome..." his mother says, with tears in her eyes. "You look happy..."

"I am, Mom... I really, really am..." he says, as he pulls his mother in for a hug. He catches Jinki's eye and mouths a thank you as he enjoys being in the arms of the people that he loves most in the world.

"I knew you wanted to make a difference, Taem, but I didn't know you'd go about it this way," teases Taesun. A broad smile comes across his face as the brothers share a tight and quick embrace. 

"I'm sure you don't mind all the attention," Taemin jokes back. He looks at the three of them and smiles contently. "I'm so glad you're all here..."

The Prince clears his throat in the background. "I'm so sorry, Mr. and Mrs. Lee, Taesun... But the announcement is about to start. Would you mind if I had a few moments with Taemin?" he asks politely.

"Of course, Son," Taemin's father says, panic coming over him as he realizes the words that had just come out of his mouth. "Is that alright, Your Highness? For me to call you Son?

"It would be my great honor, Sir..." Jinki smiles. The five of them share a tender moment in the room, as the Lee family quietly files out, giving the pair the time that they needed.

"Bye, guys... I'll talk to you later!" Taemin says, excitedly. It gave him so much comfort to know that his family was there for him. This was the best surprise ever. 

"Jinki, I can't believe you did this... I know my Mother is so happy..." he says, hooking his arms around Jinki's neck. 

"I wanted everything to be perfect for tonight..." he says, with so much love dripping from his eyes. "Taemin... Before we go out... There's something really important that I need to ask you..."

Jinki takes the black velvet box from his pocket and gets down on one knee. Taemin's breath hitches in his throat as he watches the precious scene unfold in front of him, never expecting that the Prince would actually do this. He clutches his chest as emotions overwhelm him. The two had never been happier in their lives.

"Taemin, from the moment you sneezed on me, I knew... I knew that you were the one that I wanted to spend the rest of my life with. I know this life isn't going to be easy. There will always be duties that will surround us and people watching our every move, but I don't want to go through any of this anymore if it isn't you that's by my side..." Jinki says, his voice shaking. "You've shown me just how beautiful and meaningful life can be, and given me the most precious gift that I have ever received... Love... I'm so in love with you, and it's the purest kind of love that I've ever known. So, Lee Taemin... Would you please make me the happiest man in the world and share a lifetime of music and corndogs and selfies with me? Let's make a difference in this world together... You're the only one that I would ever want to marry..."

Jinki opens the box and reveals the very special ring that was tailored for Taemin by the royal jewelers. The young man gasps at the size of the ruby, with tears in his eyes. 

"I told you... I'm always with you, my Prince... Yes... A million times over," he says, choking back sobs.

Jinki jumps up from the floor and into Taemin's arms where they share a passionate kiss. 

"I love you, Lee Jinki..." Taemin says breathlessly, almost feeling his knees give way in his fiance's arms. 

A knock on the door interrupts their special moment, as Minho pops his head into the room.

"Sirs... It's time."

*****

Everyone gathers at the bottom of the grand staircase as the King and Queen take their place at the large landing, where a podium was set up just for the occasion. 

"Thank you, everyone for coming..." the King says. "We acknowledge the presence of all the foreign dignitaries, and the country's noblemen who have taken time to join us in celebrating this special occassion. As many of you are aware, this year commemorates the thirtieth birthday celebration of our only son, Crown Prince Lee Jinki. And it is tradition for the Crown Prince to choose his spouse at this time. My wife and I are elated to announce that our son has made an exceptional choice... One that we feel would bring the country together, and lead this nation to a brighter future. My dear countrymen, I present to you Crown Prince Lee Jinki and his fiance, Lee Taemin." 

The pair emerges down the steps of the royal staircase hand-in-hand, with Taemin shaking the whole way down. Jinki held him close and smiled sweetly, as the entire room was in complete shock at the royal announcement. The pair joins the King and Queen at the landing, presented to the nation for the first time as the new Royal Family.

Before any murmurs could begin, the King raises his glass and boasts.

"A toast, to Crown Prince Jinki and Lee Taemin. Cheers!"