With You

In Pursuit

Taemin lies awake in his bed, staring at the ceiling. The smile on his face has not faded away since he got back from the Palace.

Prince Jinki was not quite as he expected him to be. The young man prepared himself for an afternoon of being uncomfortable surrounded by luxury, but instead he found himself passing the time with ease. 

He was itching for another chance to see Jinki but he had no idea when that would be. Judging by the butterflies in his stomach, it would most certainly kill him slowly to wait for so long. He smiles as he reaches for his phone and takes a deep breath.

Taemin: Hi. :)

The anticipation almost kills him as he waits for a reply. Of course the Prince would never answer back... Would he?

Prince Jinki: Hello, Taemin. I was just thinking about you. How has your evening been so far? :)

The young man squeals into his pillow as he reads the message. He can't believe that he was actually texting the Crown Prince. He shakes his trembling hand in the air as he thinks of what to say next.

Taemin: It's been fine... Been wanting a piece of that chocolate cake we had earlier. Hbu?

Prince Jinki: Pardon me? Hbu?

Taemin: Oh, sorry... :)) it's an acronym! (H)ow a(B)out yo(U)? :D

Prince Jinki: Ah, I see... :)) well... It's been rather dull since you left, if I'm being completely honest. I never noticed how empty the Palace could get.

The younger man was relieved that the Prince couldn't see his cherry red cheeks right now. Taemin's pulse was racing so fast that he thought he was going to have a heart attack. He was completely smitten. But he was determined not to let it show.

Taemin: Of all the ways to describe the Palace, I don't think I could ever call it empty. It's beautiful. :)

Prince Jinki: It was better when you were around. But I'm really glad you enjoyed your stay. Although it was too quick, don't you agree?

Taemin: Yeah, I know what you mean. The hour just flew by... I wish we could spend more time.

Prince Jinki: You took the words right out of my mouth. Soon, Taemin... :) I'm sorry, but I have an early day tomorrow and I have to retire. Would you mind continuing our conversation in the morning?

Taemin giggles at the formal way that Prince Jinki is trying to say good night. What a gentleman he was being. 

Taemin: Of course, Your Highness. I don't mind at all. :) rest well... Good night!

Prince Jinki: When it's just us, you can call me Jinki. :)

Taemin: Right... I keep forgetting :)) thank you for today, Jinki. Good night again. :)

Prince Jinki: Good night, Taemin. :)

The young man clutches his phone to his chest with a silly smile on his face. How was he ever going to get to sleep now?

*****

It was strange for someone to knock on his door this early in the morning. Minho had already checked in for the day and he was already dressed, so he wasn't expecting anyone in particular. Jinki walks to answer the door, intrigued.

"Good morning, my dear," his mother says, entering the room as Jinki steps aside. She engulfs him in a loving embrace and his hair. "My, my... You really are growing more and more handsome by the second."

"Good morning, Mother... What brings you here?" 

"I was monitoring your progress for the selection and Minho informed me that you had cancelled all other appointments from hereon out? May I ask why, dear?" 

Jinki's heart suddenly fell to his stomach. He had hoped for more time with the younger man before word got out about him. He certainly hadn't planned on telling his parents about Taemin when they had only met once. 

"Well, Mother... I... I had planned on getting to know someone in particular. That means having to sacrifice my time with the others, that's why--"

"Oh, Jinki! You've chosen someone haven't you? Tell me!" the Queen says, excitedly.

There was no point in hiding it now. He knew that one way or another his mother would find out who it was. It would be infinitely better if the news came straight out of his own lips.

"It's someone I met at the opening of the new wing of the Children's Hospital. His name is Lee Taemin," Jinki says proudly. Even saying Taemin's name out loud brought a smile to his face.

"A commoner?" The Queen's face says it all. This wasn't going to go down easily.

"Yes, Mother. We share some interests, especially in charity work. And remember what I was telling you about the spark? It's there, Mother. I found it," he says.

It's obvious from her expressions that the Queen is hiding her true emotions about the matter. Jinki could tell that she had her misgivings.

"My dearest Jinki," she says, putting her hands on his shoulders. "You are going to be King one day... You know this. There are others whowould be more suited for the life that you'll be leading. Think of your father..."

For the first time since meeting Taemin, he does just that. Thinking of how his father would react made Jinki's heart sink even lower. The King had lived his life by the book. He had established a reign that followed protocol and upheld the established traditions of the monarchy. He would never approve of a commoner being chosen by his only son, the Crown Prince and heir to the throne. 

"Maybe I don't want to be confined by the rules... If I'm going to marry, I want it to be for love..." Jinki says softly.

The Queen cups his cheeks in her hands. "You know that whatever you decide, I will always be by your side, my dear. But I feel that it's my duty to tell you that this path you are choosing won't be easy. Think about it well... For everyone's sake."

She gives him a quick peck on the cheek before walking towards the door. The Prince dutifully escorts his mother, holding the door open for her as she leaves. 

"But Jinki...  I am happy for you. Please know that."

Her final words gives him a sense of relief somehow, and a smile creeps back onto his lips. 

"Thank you, Mother."

***** 

"I'm going!" Taemin screams at Kibum, who is somewhere in the back. It had been another quiet shift at the cafe, with virtually no one coming in the entire day.

The young man grabs his phone and his backpack, securing it over his shoulders. He was headed to the hospital today. A little friend of his was coming out of chemotherapy and could use some cheering up. 

Taemin glances at his phone and is crestfallen to not have any new messages. He hadn't heard from Prince Jinki since last night, and he was worried that the Royal might have changed his mind about the whole thing. 

"Okay, sweetie! Have fun!" Kibum yells. Taemin could hear his giggles and knew that he was on the phone with Jonghyun again. Those two were really starting to hit it off.

Taemin walks out the front door, zipping up his coat. The afternoon winds were really chilly today even if the sun was shining bright. The glare almost distracted him from the slew of black cars that were parked across the street and the familiar silhouette of a man holding a small box in his hands. 

The young man is frozen in place as the figure approaches him. Taemin puts his hand over his eyes to see who it is.

"You said you were thinking about the chocolate cake..."

Taemin's jaw drops as he finds Prince Jinki standing right in front of him. He was told that they would see each other again soon, but he didn't think that it would be this soon.

"Your Highness!" Taemin panics, bowing as quick as he could. 

Jinki smiles and wiggles the box in front of the young man. "This is for you..."

"Oh... Of course.... Uh.... What are you doing here?" Taemin says, taking the box in his own hands.

"I came by to see if there was anything that you wanted to do together... You're finished with work for the day, right?" the Prince asks.

Taemin's heart is beating fast as Jinki flashes his gorgeous smile. There was a hopeful glimmer in his eye and it broke his heart to say what he had to say.

"I would love to... Really, I would... But I sort of have plans..." 

Jinki stops and his eyes fall to the ground. Of course someone like Taemin would already have plans. He felt foolish to even assume that he could simply steal him away. "Oh... Forgive me, I didn't realize... I should be going then," he says as he turns around to leave.

"No! Wait!" Taemin says in a panic. "It's not like that... One of my kids, they're coming from a really tough day today and I promised I would be there to cheer him up. That's all..."

"Of course..." Jinki says, smiling in relief. "What a sweet gesture... I hope you have fun, and please send my regards..."

Taemin debates himself for a bit before asking the question that was burning in his gut.

"I really don't know how it works with your security and all... But do you want to come? I'm sure the kids would love to see you again," he says, the hopeful glint now shifting over to Taemin's eyes.

Jinki looks back at Minho, who by now was getting a worried look on his face. 

"Sure."

*****

"You were amazing back there," Taemin says, leaning into the plush leather seats of the Prince's official car.

Jinki puts his hand to his forehead and smiles. "I was a bit embarrassed..." 

"No, don't be! He loved it! I didn't know you were so good at doing voices. It really made storytime that much more fun... Thank you for doing that," the younger man says, smiling. No one had ever come with him to the hospital before, and he was grateful that the Prince took time out from his busy schedule to do just that.

"I had fun... He's such a brave boy. I could never imagine going through something like that, even as an adult," the Prince says. It was endearing the way Taemin got so excited about what they had just done.

"I know what you mean... They inspire me so much. It makes me put my life into perspective... Sometimes we think we carry the weight of the world on our shoulders. Their lives makes the things we go through seem trivial... Don't they?" Taemin asks.

Jinki is reminded of the conversation that he had with his mother this morning. Taemin was absolutely right. It seemed like a big deal because the seeming problems were directly in front of him but he could handle it better if he kept it in perspective. 

His mind was made up. He was willing to go through all the challenges it took just to have a shot with Taemin. He just wanted to know if the young man felt the same.

"Taemin... There's something I need to talk to you about," the Prince shifts in his seat as he prepares to bring up the rather sensitive topic. "I spoke with my mother today about you..."

Taemin froze at the news. "Th-The Queen? What did she say...?" 

"As expected, she is concerned that you're not from the nobility... It's not that she doesn't approve of you per se... It's just because no one from the royal family has ever settled with someone from outside the usual cirlces..." Jinki says.

The young man isn't surprised. He knew that there would be some resistance to them in some way... He just didn't think it would surface so soon.

"But how do you feel about it?" Taemin asks.

"I think it's quite clear where I stand..." Jinki says, carefully reaching out to grab Taemin's hand in his. "I just wanted to know if you'd be willing to stand with me."

The young man stares at their hands intertwined with one another. It was one of the sweetest sights he had seen in his life. The Prince's grasp was strong and gentle, just like he was, and Taemin feels completely safe. They smile at each other, getting used to the sensation of their bodies connecting in some way... Reflecting the deep connection that they felt with each other's hearts.

The convoy pulls up to Taemin's street and he sees his apartment building in the distance. "This is me on the right, Sir," the young man says to the driver. The car slowly comes to a halt and pulls over, with Minho getting down from the front seat to Taemin out of the vehicle.

Before he leaves, Taemin plants a soft kiss on Jinki's cheek and whispers softly. 

"I'm with you, my Prince."