Warm Up

In Pursuit

Jinki wakes up the next day with a huge smile on his face. Never had someone done anything so personal for him. He had so much fun trying many new things with Taemin, like rootbeer floats, caramel popcorn and playing Jenga. He never wanted the night to end, but when the security detail had started to lurk around them, they really had no choice. He spent a few minutes going through the many pictures and videos that they had taken that night. The joy on both their faces filled his stomach with butterflies anew. Taemin was the sweetest person he had ever known in his life. And Jinki knew for sure that he was falling deeply in love. 

There was a knock on his door as Minho enters.

"Minho, you're so sneaky! Taemin told me all about how you helped. Thank you so much! I had the best time," he says, finally getting up from bed.

"Good morning, Your Highness... And you're very much welcome. I'm delighted to hear that you had a good night."

"Minho... You're my friend right?" Jinki says, choosing the suit that he was going to wear for the day's schedules.

"I'd like to think so, Sir. Yes," he says with a smile.

"What do you think of me and Taemin?" he asks, turning his body to face Minho completely.

"As I've said before, Your Highness, I think you're a good match."

"You have said that before... I meant... What do you think of me choosing him as my spouse? He's a commoner... I'd be breaking tradition. Do you think it would draw a good reaction or a negative one?" he asks thoughtfully.

"Well, it's hard to say, Sir..." Minho says, crinkling his forehead thinking of an objective answer to this important question.

"I really don't care for myself, obviously, but bringing Taemin into this life... I don't want him hurt in any way..." Jinki says.

"I understand, Sir," Minho says, clearing his throat. "Well, in my humble opinion, I think it will go both ways. There will be a percentage of the country that would question you straying from tradition, and an equal percentage that would appreciate the appearance of progress and inclusion."

"So, what you're saying is that I can't please everyone," the Prince says, ruffling his hair.

"Isn't that always the case, Sir... But if I may speak as a friend..." Minho says.

"Of course."

"I've never seen you this happy... Isn't that all that matters?" he says, smiling.

"Right, Minho. This is going to be a wonderful day. A very, very wonderful day," Jinki says, all smiles. It was almost as if he was floating in the air in joy, and Minho looked on in amusement.

"Today, Sir, all we have is one final television interview at 10:00, which will end at 11:30 and we will be spending the rest of the day getting ready for the pre-Ball State dinner," Minho says, clutching his clipboard to his chest.

"Oh, right. I almost forgot about that," he says. "Could you see to it that Taemin gets here safely and that he has everything he needs for the party?"

"It's all taken care of, Your Highness," Minho smiles.

"Thank you, my friend. I really don't know what I would do without you." 

*****

"I really don't know about this..." Taemin says, looking in the mirror one last time.

Kibum and Jonghyun are at his apartment, trying to lend him some emotional support for the immense pressure of tonight's dinner. For the first time, Taemin will have a taste of what life could be like as Jinki's future spouse, and the thought is making him crawl out of his skin.

"Come on, Taeminnie... How hard could it be? You already look the part. That suit is gorgeous on you. Half the battle is won," Kibum says, emphatically waving his hands in the air.

"Yeah, Taemin... Just show up, nod a bit, smile a bit, eat some good food and spent a bit of time with Jinki... What's the big deal?" Jonghyun adds.

"The big deal is, I would be completely out of place. The only one I know there is Minho, and he'll be working... I can't expect Jinki to be with me when there are all those important people there," Taemin says.

"Hey. You're important too," Kibum says. "But your bowtie is a bit crooked." The older man stands up and fixes Taemin's outfit as best as he can.

"Guuuuuuyyyysss... I'm about to lose my mind and the royal car is about to come pick me up any minute now. What do I do?"

Jonghyun stands up and Taemin is suddenly surrounded by both of his most trusted friends. "Do what you've always done, Taemin. Be yourself."

The young man takes a deep breath as he hears a knock on his door. "Okay. Here goes nothing."

*****

A long line of expensive cars are coming up the driveway of the Palace. This has always been something that Taemin has seen on the news, and he never actually thought that he would be seeing it with his own two eyes. Finally the car comes to the drop off area of the driveway and someone opens the car door for him and greets him good evening. 

Taemin greets back and tries his best not to be intimidated by all the people he is seeing around him. There are important dignitaries, diplomats, aristocrats and famous people that he's never encounted before in real life. This wasn't even the actual Ball yet, but it seems like all the noble people in the country had come to pay Jinki a visit. He takes a deep breath as he makes his way up the steps, psyching himself to stay calm.

Thank goodness he immediately sees a familiar face. 

"Good evening, Taemin. I'm glad to see you made it safely... The Prince will be delighted that you're here," he says, smiling.

Taemin couldn't stand his feelings and whispers quietly to Minho. "Minho, I'm about to lose my mind. This is a bit too much for me right now..."

The older man places his hand on Taemin's shoulder and gives him the most assuring smile. "Sir, you belong here--even more than any other person that walks through these doors. Trust me." 

That calmed down Taemin's nerves more than anything. Minho was turning out to be such a good friend.

"Thanks, Minho... There's no chance of me being with Jinki tonight, is there?" he asks.

"I wouldn't quite say that," Minho says, winking. "Sorry, if you'll excuse me, duty calls." 

"Of course," Taemin says, smiling. "I'll be around."

Minho disappears quickly and suddenly Taemin finds himself alone again. He walks along the halls of the Palace, admiring each and every person that he passes. He had never really seen a room filled with such well-dressed people before in his life. He tries to remember what Minho said, just so he doesn't feel the overwhelming sense that he is out of place.

"Taemin, dear!" 

He turns as someone calls out his name, and almost chokes to see that it is the Queen. He immediately walks over to her and curtsies, greeting her in the proper manner. She looks spectacular in a royal blue dress with her hair up in a bun. "Good evening, Your Majesty."

"Oh, you look so handsome tonight, Taemin. It's so lovely that you came," she says, smiling brightly at him. 

"Jinki wouldn't take no for an answer," the young man replies.

"Well, if it were up to Jinki, you two would never be apart," the Queen teases. "Between you and me, these things can tend to be a tad pretentious... But there are so many people who have come from far away just to attend the Ball tomorrow. There really isn't a better way to welcome them all. Come, let me introduce you to some people."

They make their way across the room, with the Queen's arm around Taemin. "Lee Taemin, this is Prime Minister Joson and his lovely wife. This is Lee Taemin, a very good friend of the Prince."

"Hello, Taemin, it's nice to meet you," the Prime Minister says.

"The pleasure is mine, Sir, Ma'am," he says with a smile.

"Such a lovely young man you are," the Prime Minister's wife coos. "I'm so sorry, my memory is a bit unreliable, but I don't believe we've met before, haven't we?"

"No, Ma'am, this would be the first time. I would definitely remember meeting the both of you," Taemin replies. There is something about Taemin's charm that instantly wins them over, and the Queen is elated to witness it.

"Taemin here is one of our future leaders. He is in school finishing his Master's Degree in Social Work," the Queen proudly says.

"Oh, what kind of social work interests you, Taemin?" the Prime Minister asks.

"I'd love to explore building a career in children's health and education," Taemin answers.

"Wonderful," the Prime Minister says. "We always need help in that area."

"Actually, I just finished reading all about the school-building project that you headed with Prince Jinki a year ago... It's quite a fascinating project. As a citizen, it made me so proud of the efforts of our leaders. Thank you," Taemin says sincerely.

It brings a big smile to the face of the dignitary. "I don't get to hear those words everyday... You're quite welcome, Taemin. Excuse us, but the Ambassador just walked in... It was nice meeting you... Your Majesty," he bows, as the couple walks away.

"Well, Taemin, it looks like you'll fit in quite nicely," the Queen smiles fondly at him.

"Thank you so much, Your Majesty," Taemin beams.

"I apologize but I'll have to leave your side for the night. Please don't be shy in going around, I know Jinki will be here shortly," she says.

"Of course, Your Majesty... Have a good evening," Taemin says, bowing in respect. 

He sighs as he looks around the room. There were so many people of great stature surrounding him, but the Queen's words suddenly gave him a boost of confidence. Suddenly he hears his name being called. He turns to see that it is the Prime Minister waving him over to a group of very important-looking people. Taemin smooths down his suit with his hands and walks over to them quickly.

"Ah, Taemin... Everyone, this is Lee Taemin, a friend of the Crown Prince. He has a strong interest in children's issues. Taemin, the Ambassador and I were just talking about the state of children's health in the city and I was wondering if you had any thoughts on the matter..." he says, as all eyes shifted to the young man.

"Oh... Sir, I hardly think I have the experience to speak of such important things," he says, flustered.

"A bright man like you must have some ideas... Old politicians like us are always interested to hear about what the next generation has to say... Come on, son... Don't be shy..." the Prime Minister says, his kind eyes encouraging him to speak his mind.

"Okay, Sir... I'd love to share my thoughts..."

*****

"I thought I would never get you alone," Jinki says, with the sweetest smile on his face. The Prince quickly takes Taemin's hand and laces it with his, revealing just how much he missed the young man being by his side. "I'm so sorry I've been fluttering about... How has your evening been?"

"I'm fine now that you're here," Taemin replies, his eyes shining. His heart almost burst with how strongly he felt for the man standing in front of him. There was no denying it anymore... His heart was completely Jinki's. 

"Mother says you've been completely amazing with everyone... They adore you..." Jinki says proudly.

"Really?" Taemin says, genuinely shocked at the feedback. He had felt like a fish out of water the entire night. It was nice to hear that he was able to hold his own in such a distinguished crowd. "I'm glad... I really am trying my best."

"So does this mean you're you ready for the Ball tomorrow?" Jinki asks, concern in his eyes. "Once I make the announcement, eyes are going to be on us for the rest of our lives."

Taemin smiles shyly. "I like the sound of that... The rest of our lives..."

The Prince blushes as he moves in closer to caress Taemin's cheek with his free hand. He looks longingly in his eyes as he does so, butterflies going crazy in his stomach. Taemin was the most beautiful person in the world to him, and he was so lucky to be standing there with him in that moment.

"Jinki... Are you sure about this? I mean... I'm not like any of these people I just met... Are you sure that you want to pick me?" Taemin asks, readying himself for an honest answer.

The older man sighs and smirks at Taemin's question. He almost could not believe that after everything, Taemin would still doubt his intentions towards him. It only pushed him to show the young man more of his heart. He digs into his pocket for a present.

"Taemin... This is for you," he holds out a velvet box, almost as big as his palm. "It was my great-grandfather's... I really want you to wear it tomorrow, if you could."

The young man takes the box and reveals the most beautiful jeweled cuff links that he had ever seen in his life.

"J-Jinki... Are these...?" Taemin says, his eyes wide.

"They're made with diamonds and rubies, designed in the family's monogram... It's yours, if you want it," the Prince says.

"T-This is way too much... I've never even seen real diamonds before in my life... Jinki..." he says, his hands shaking.

Jinki takes a step closer to the young man, both of their hearts starting to beat faster. Taemin's mouth goes dry at the realization that the object of his affection was a mere inches away. The Prince takes his hand and gently outlines Taemin's jaw with the tips of his fingers, stopping at his chin. He tilts Taemin's head towards his and looks deeply into his beautiful brown eyes.

"You deserve so much more than I could ever give you," the Prince whispers softly, his breath close enough to feel on Taemin's face. "I've never meant anything else more when I say that you're all that I've ever wanted. I'm so in love with you, Lee Taemin..."

Slowly, the Prince moves in and places his lips on Taemin's, both of their hearts beating as one. Jinki pulls Taemin in closer by the waist and the young man instinctively wraps his arms around the Prince's neck, deepening the passionate kiss.

They moved slowly, as if they were both trying to savor what it felt like to breath in one another's scent; to feel one another's lips; to melt into each other's arms. Naturally, the kiss ends and they press their foreheads together with huge smiles on their faces.

"I've been waiting a long time to do that," the Prince says.

"Was it worth it?" Taemin asks.

"You always are and always will be," he replies, going in for another gentle kiss. Their motions were passionate, but respectful, as if they were aware that they were moving in borrowed time. The Prince pulls away reluctantly, and Taemin almost whines at their disconnection. 

"They're waiting for us..." the Prince says, hearing the discreet knocks of Minho on the door.

"I love you, Jinki... I'll wear these tomorrow... Thank you for choosing me," Taemin smiles.

The Prince feels like the wind was knocked out of him at Taemin's response. His eyes filled with tears of happiness at the young man's acceptance of his heart. 

"I can't wait to spend my life with you, Taemin."

"Neither can I."